Sisters of the Mists Ch. 20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Darkniciad
Darkniciad
1,253 Followers

"You have the recipe?"

"Aye," Celes answered. "I've brought twenty with me that you can pass out to others you know, as well as some magic that can keep you in touch with other practitioners who are far away, like Norma."

Hanna smiled and breathed a sigh of relief. "It's nice to have some good news. Please, come in. Can I see the recipe?"

Celes reached into a pocket of her robe to retrieve the recipe. It proved a welcome distraction. Norma's description of the blonde witch as a comely lass didn't do her justice. She was stunning, despite being dressed in simple homespun with her hair up in a hastily constructed bun atop her head.

To keep her ardor under control, Celes got down to business. She explained how the potions were used, how the valley was safe from any demon, and warned that a coven slayer was on the loose, even though she was hundreds of miles from where it had last been seen. Then, she moved on to the mirror.

Hanna wore a wide smile when she said goodbye to Norma and touched the gem on the mirror to dismiss its magic. "This is truly a blessing," she said. "I haven't spoken to Norma in months."

Celes said, "You're welcome." A shiver ran all through her from the sight of Hannah's brilliant smile.

"Do you have any more?" Hanna asked.

"I believe we have two more, but those who are making them can keep them coming."

"I know of a witch who lives two days north named Allison. We only met once, and I haven't spoken to her in years, but I'm worried about her. She's had so much tragedy in her life."

"If you can describe her and where she lives, my powers can take me there," Celes offered. "I can stop by home, pick up a mirror, and you can talk to her in just a little bit."

"That would be wonderful. I only know a little about where she lives, and I've never been there."

Celes waved her hand in a dismissive gesture. "Shouldn't be a problem. Norma had never been here either, and I found you easily enough."

"Well, then. She has dark hair, like you. You could probably wear each other's clothes. I think you're of a size almost top to bottom. She said she's originally from Nornland. Come to think of it, you look a little alike."

"Aye, I'm a Norn. The cheekbones," Celes answered the unspoken question she saw in Hanna's eyes.

"I thought so," the blonde confirmed. "Her power has to do with plants. She can make them grow, bloom, vine, ensnare people. Things like that. Like I said, she lives about two days to the north. She said her cottage is in the woods just away from the river." Hanna paused, searching her memory for more details.

"That should do," Celes said. "I've found others with less."

"I hope so. I can't remember much more. We spent most of our time talking about potions when we met."

"You'll know soon enough," Celes said, and then winked. "I'll bring her a mirror, have her call you, and then see if she knows any others I can bring potions to tomorrow."

"I can't thank you enough."

"Pass out those potions and make more. Take care of your girls. That will be thanks enough."

Hanna offered another of her beaming smiles. "I will."

"Then I best be off."

The blonde walked Celes to the door and saw her outside. Celes faced her fellow witch, smiled, and then summoned up the mists. Hanna waved before the swirling clouds hid her from view.

When the mists cleared, Celes had little doubt she was in the right place. A circular field of vibrant green surrounded the cottage, sheltered within thick walls of trees and undergrowth. Fruit trees dotted the natural barrier at the edge of the field. Celes was certain that some of them didn't naturally grow in such a northern climate. Flowers sprouted everywhere within the field. More grew in window boxes and pots by the windows and doors. A healthy garden soaked up the sun next to the humble structure, filled with vegetables, herbs, and flora Celes knew only had uses in magic — both wiccan and of the Art.

Celes walked toward the structure and saw the curtains in the window near the door move. Since she'd been noticed, she proceeded at a slightly quicker pace. As she neared the door, it opened.

Celes froze in her tracks and gasped. For a fraction of a second, she was certain that she was looking at the love of her life, and whispered her name, "Anna..."

The other witch's eyes widened, and she quickly asked, "You know my cousin Anna?"

"I... She... We..." Celes stammered, still reeling.

Allison hurried toward her and said, "Are you Celes? You were just a girl when I last saw you. Has something happened?" She paused, and then said, "It has. She's gone, isn't she?"

Tears welling up in her eyes, Celes nodded. Long forgotten memories returned of a cousin named Allison coming to visit from several villages away. She, Anna, and Celes had played together for the three days Allison had been there with her family.

Allison moved to Celes' side and said, "Please, come inside."

Celes swallowed hard, nodded, and allowed the other witch to take her hand to guide her faltering steps.

****

Upon hearing the sound of approaching horses, Marlena sat Danica's spellbook in her lap, groaned, and rubbed her temples.

"Close?" Danica asked.

"I think so. I'm almost glad they're returning, though. I have a headache, but I just didn't want to give up."

Danica chuckled. "Been there." She accepted her spellbook and stashed it away in her bag. "Let's see whether the Emperor's little stunt worked." She reached out with her mental powers, and though the approaching horses were barely audible, she easily located the Emperor and his generals.

"The Emperor is feeling smug," Danica said as she briefly touched his thoughts. She then bounced from general to general. "Seems he has good reason to be. Hearing about the atrocity first hand has changed some of the generals' minds. They're almost as ready to go to war as he is."

"We're not going to be able to stop it, are we?" Marlena asked.

Danica sighed. "It doesn't look good. I'm not giving up until we've tried everything, though. His wives and advisor still offer a little hope. And as long as he lets Luli go home, we accomplished something."

Marlena nodded in agreement with that. The pair then settled in, listening to the ever-louder hoofbeats, and then watching the men ride into camp. Danica once again touched the Emperor's mind, and found that he was looking forward to celebrating his victory with Luli.

Danica couldn't help the smug smile of satisfaction that spread on her face when he learned that wasn't going to happen. She stayed in contact with his mind and relayed what she learned to Marlena.

"He's definitely going to send her away. It's a bad omen marring his victory, and he wants her gone as quickly as possible." She paused and clenched her teeth upon hearing the Emperor's next thought. "He was just going to throw her out, and only decided to send guards with her because she's from a province he doesn't want to upset."

The Emperor instructed the officer in charge of his personal guard to send for two men to escort Luli home. A minute later, the men arrived and Danica let out a low growl.

"What is it?" Marlena asked.

"The two he's sending with her don't care about the bad omens. They're planning to hint that the Emperor gave them permission to have sex with her and that she can find her own way home if she doesn't. Apparently it happens regularly. It's not the first time they've done it, and it worked last time."

Marlena's voice contained barely controlled anger when she said, "Well, it's not going to work this time."

"No, it's not," Danica agreed. "They're going to leave soon, so let's go wait by the road and shadow them until they're out of sight of the camp."

The two women were waiting at the edge of the camp when Luli and the two soldiers took their first steps on the road. She was equally relieved and frightened at the same time. Though they kept a professional demeanor while their superior officers could still see them, somehow, Luli sensed the soldiers were going to take advantage of her.

"She's smart. She knows what those two asses are planning," Danica said as they followed.

Marlena suggested, "Should we just put them to sleep as soon as they're out of sight?"

"That will work. I'd really like to make them think twice about pulling this again, though." Danica touched Luli's mind and found a spark of strength and defiance there. It was dim beneath her fear, but it was there. Her hopes seemed to be centered on the villages along the road between the encampment and her home.

Danica turned her attention to the two guardsmen for a moment. They too were anticipating one such village. It was there that they planned to use their place in the Emperor's army to commandeer a bed for the night and have their way with Luli.

"It is a great honor the Emperor has given us," one of the men said.

"A great honor," the other echoed.

As she had before, Danica sent calming thoughts to Luli, as she knew what her escorts were leading up to, and it caused her fear to surge.

"You have an idea," Marlena said, seeing Danica's eyes light up.

Danica nodded. "There's a village about an hour down the road. I saw enough of the landmarks in their heads to recognize it when we get close. When we do, I'll teleport us ahead. Then I need you to make us look like local women again."

"I can use the same illusions as I did before. It will be easier."

"Perfect. Now, here's what we're going to do..."

Both women broke into smiles as Danica explained her plan. Danica kept a small part of her mind focused on Luli, maintaining the sense of calm that kept the local woman from panicking.

Finally, Danica recognized a clump of trees that served as a landmark for the path leading to the village, and would also serve as the perfect cover.

"Those trees are what I've been looking for. Ready?" Danica asked.

Marlena held out her hand. Danica grasped it, cast her spell, and the two women vanished in a puff of brimstone smoke. They reappeared on the opposite side of the trees, and Marlena wasted no time weaving her illusion.

So it was two well-dressed local women who walked down the path toward the road as Luli and her escorts approached. Danica had to clench her teeth when the first thought she caught from one of the two soldiers was whether there was any chance of convincing them of the Emperor's authority over their bodies as well. Danica led the way, and didn't need her mental powers to see the surprise in the soldier's eyes or the relief in Luli's when they blocked the path of the approaching group.

"What is this?" Danica asked when the three stopped.

"We have been charged by his Imperial majesty to return this woman to her home," one of the soldiers answered.

Marlena scowled and said, "That is likely true."

"What else have you told her the Emperor has given you leave to do?" Danica asked.

The two soldiers shared a glance, and then one of them demanded, "Step aside."

Danica took a defiant step forward and spoke to Luli. "No matter what these two have told you, your body is not their plaything. They are common soldiers, and the Emperor would not give one he has lain with to such."

One of the men put a hand on his sword and said, "The Emperor himself has personally—"

Danica cut him off. "You think word has not spread? We know you usurp the Emperor's authority to take women he has chosen. This woman will stay with us, and you will return to the Emperor because she has relieved you of your duty."

Marlena said, "Tell them."

Luli turned and said, "I will remain here. You have performed your duty."

"Woman..." one of the soldiers said with a note of warning in his voice.

Danica walked up almost in the two soldiers' faces. "She stays or we will tell the Emperor you claim to speak with his voice. We need not know your names, only your charge. He will know who to punish."

The fear rolling off the men was palpable.

"Now go," Danica warned. "Others watch. Word will reach the Emperor."

One last time, the two soldiers glanced at each other. They then turned around and proceeded back down the road the way they had come.

Danica reached into their thoughts and a smug smile spread across her face. She was still wearing it when one of the soldiers glanced back. He quickly averted his gaze.

A chuckle escaped her, and Danica said, "I have a feeling word is going to get around to the rest of the soldiers. Only the bravest or most foolish are going to try this trick for a while."

Luli's squared shoulders drooped, and she let out a whimper of relief. "Thank you," she said.

Marlena suggested, "We should walk back toward the village."

"Good idea," Danica agreed.

The three women followed the trail, and then used the trees for cover once more.

"Don't worry. We'll get you safely home," Marlena said once they were concealed.

Trembling, Luli said, "Thank you again, but how... I..."

"Don't panic," Danica said. "We have magic. It's how we fooled the Emperor into letting you go."

Luli's brow furrowed in confusion.

"It's not your time of the month. That's an illusion I cast upon you," Marlena explained. She gestured and added, "I've broken the spell."

"You're fine. You're not ill," Danica expanded.

"But, I felt the cramps and everything else," Luli said.

Danica winked and said, "Marlena is really good at illusions."

At the mention of Marlena's name, Danica didn't need to be purposely reading the local woman's thoughts to know the foreign name had set off alarm bells. It was written plainly on Luli's face.

Reacting quickly, Danica explained, "We also used magic to make ourselves look like women of your land. We wanted to discourage them from trying to take advantage of other women, and thought that was the best way." She then nodded to Marlena and said, "Break the illusion."

Though Luli started at the sudden change in the two women's appearance, she settled quickly afterward.

"We'll see you safely home," Danica said. "All you have to do is lead the way."

"I do wish to go home," Luli said in a small voice while turning to look off into the distance.

Is she okay? Marlena silently asked.

She's confused, frightened, amazed... Danica answered. The whole gamut. I think she'll be fine once she's had a little time to sort through her thoughts and emotions.

That will be easier once she knows she's going home.

Danica smiled and responded, Then let's be on our way.

****

On the other side of the world, another woman struggled to handle her emotions.

Tears streaming down her face, Celes finished her story, "The spell worked, and she was free. She said goodbye, and then moved on to whatever lies beyond. I'm so sorry."

Allison reached out and laid her hand over Celes'. "You did everything in your power to love her and protect her, and you suffered as much as she did. You have nothing to apologize for. She's with her mother, and all the mothers before her."

"I know that, but it doesn't make it any easier."

A slight smile turned up the corners of Alison's lips. "Anna always said that you tried to bear the weight of the entire world on your shoulders."

Celes rolled her eyes even as she sniffled and wiped away tears. "She was always trying to tell me..." She trailed off as what Allison had said registered. "But, we haven't seen you since we were girls."

Allison bit her lower lip for a moment, and then said, "She called me from time to time."

"How?" Celes asked, her brow furrowing. "She didn't even know where you were. Without at least some inkling of location or familiarity, it's almost impossible for a spell to find someone like that."

"She called to me blood to blood."

"But that's a spell of the craft, and we'd bound our powers."

"You did." Allison hesitated for a few seconds before continuing, "But Anna only bound hers for a day."

Celes' eyes narrowed when she loudly asked, "What?"

The other witch held up her hands in front of her in a defensive gesture, seeing the fire in Celes' eyes. "She only bound her powers for a day. There was something she needed to know, but she couldn't bear the thought of abandoning her powers."

"That's impossible. Surely she would have accidentally used her powers and moved something. I would have known."

"That's your power, to move things," Allison answered, her voice slow, quiet, and carefully annunciated.

"We both had the same power, and the same problems. One of us would have a nightmare, and we'd both wreck things."

Allison shook her head. "Anna was an empath. Whenever she moved something, it was because she was tapping into your powers. Our powers are born of our emotions. She could feel yours. Think back. Did she ever move anything when you hadn't?"

Celes opened her mouth, meaning to say, Of course she did. At the same time, she sifted through her thoughts, trying to remember an example, and realized she couldn't.

Allison said, "Because she knew how much you hated your powers, she knew she had to keep the secret from you. But she did bind her powers for a day, because she needed to know something."

"And what's that?"

"Maybe you should ask her."

Celes' brow furrowed.

"Now that I know she's gone, I can try the blood to blood summoning spell. It's a really bad idea to attempt it if you aren't sure the person has passed on, which is the only reason I haven't. If it works, she can tell you herself."

Celes shook her head. "But you've only just learned she's gone. I haven't paid much attention to that spell, but I know it only works when you've come to accept the person's death."

"I did that long ago, for the most part," Allison said. "I won't know unless I try."

Celes was torn. The thought of seeing her love again made her heart sing, and yet she'd just learned Anna had lied to her — for years. She wouldn't really know why unless she asked.

After a few seconds of contemplation, she reverted to type and made a snap decision. "Try it."

"I'll fetch my candles."

Allison went about the task with such practiced efficiency that Celes was certain the witch had contemplated casting the spell many, many times. In short order, the candles and other elements of the spell were in place, and Allison took her place before the ritual bowl on the table.

A minute later, she pricked her finger, dripping blood into the bowl, and spoke the final words of the spell, "Blood to blood, I summon thee."

Swirling motes of light that shifted between a brilliant silver and a soft pink gathered in the middle of the circle of candles. They moved and blinked faster with each passing moment, and then something began to take shape.

"Well, I'm in trouble," the ghostly image of Anna said as she coalesced from the darting lights.

Though she'd had every intention of immediately demanding answers if the spell worked, Celes instead found herself fighting back sobs as tears rolled down her cheeks.

"The spell shouldn't have worked, you know," Anna said. "This is a one-time only gift, because it's important. Don't either of you think you're going to be able to summon me willy-nilly. I have an afterlife to live."

With that, she stepped out of the circle of candles, and her once transparent form was solid. Allison stood up next to Celes, her mouth agape as she beheld the completely unexpected results of her spell.

Anna shivered and said, "Oh, this feels so strange. I'm not going to waste this chance, though." With that, she crossed the room and gathered both her love and her cousin in her arms.

"Love, I..." Celes began, but she was too choked up to continue.

"I know," Anna said. "I've missed you too. I don't have much time. There are things you both need to hear. Yes, I lied to you. I only bound my powers for a day."

Darkniciad
Darkniciad
1,253 Followers