Six Degrees Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I sincerely hope," replied Dagmar Schoen, "that Mrs. Carnes is not trying to put words into Commander Troy's mouth, especially by making assumptions based upon what the Commander has not said and is not doing."

"Looks to me like he came across that email as part of his routine." said Edward R. Steele. "He read it, answered it, and moved along."

"Speaking of Commander Troy," said Thomas P. Cook, "shouldn't we instead be talking about suspending him, or calling for the SBI to come in and investigate him for corruption, as Assistant Fire Chief Jefferson has requested of us?"

"Based on what?" thundered Colby. "Where has Commander Troy done anything wrong, much less corrupt?"

"Why didn't he arrest those EMTs?" asked Pastor Westboro. "They did have video evidence."

Just as Colby was about to reply and a bigger argument about to erupt, the Mayor stood up. "Ladies and gentlemen, let me stop you right there on this. I spoke with the District Attorney and the City Attorney about that issue, and I also got an opinion from a disinterested legal expert, that being my private lawyer.

"We can blow hot air all day about it, but the bottom line is that the EMTs were actually on State property, that being the University Campus, when they blocked the ambulance. Commander Troy technically did not have jurisdiction, there. So he cannot be accused of dereliction of duty in not arresting the EMTs. Period. We will have no more discussion of that." He sat down.

"I'll add that AFC Jefferson did block a public road with a Fire Engine." said Dagmar Schoen. Why aren't we talking about firing him and bringing charges against him?"

"His intentions were honorable." said Thomas P. Cook. "He was trying to stop a filthy EMT from escaping the jurisdiction, since Troy won't do his duty by that."

"You have a double standard about that." said Colby. "You don't seem to apply it to the Iron Crowbar when you're relentlessly attacking him."

"Who's talking a double standard here?" Cook angrily shot back. "Troy should've been fired months if not years ago! Troy almost murdered Robert Brownlee, and you defended Troy. Why hasn't Troy been suspended---"

"Robert Brownlee assaulted a woman, Mr. Cook." Malinda Adams said angrily, interrupting Cook. "Brownlee deserved worse than he got. I am not a fan of Commander Troy's overly aggressive style of leadership, but if you're going to use that example, then first explain why Brownlee wasn't arrested for assault and battery upon a woman."

"He didn't assault her, Ms. Adams." said Cook. "She attacked him first. There were witnesses, who were ignored. And stating that truth does not make me a misogynist."

The Mayor had a little gavel, which he rarely used. But he did so now, repeatedly banging it on the table. "Okay, folks, that is long past history." he said. "Brownlee is gone from the TCPD. Let's get back to the present, and Lt. Perlman's situation."

"Okay," said the Mayor in the tense silence of the room. "Chief Moynahan stated that his relative time in the Department is short, but he has been impressed with Lt. Perlman's crime solving as well as leadership abilities. However, he had reservations about her mobility in the field. I then had a phone conversation with him to address that, and he admitted that she would be limited in any field operations, such as a search for a missing child, pursuing criminals, crowd control in an emergency, and so on."

"So what's the issue here?" asked John Colby.

Pastor Westboro spoke up. "Lieutenant Perlman does not presently meet the physical standards required of a Town & County Police Officer. She can be granted a waiver, but that is position-dependent. If she is promoted to Captain, she's automatically exempt."

"What about Precinct Captain?" asked Reginald B.F. Lewis.

"They are not considered full Captains." said Westboro. "They are still covered by the Police Union, not the Police Captain's Union. They're considered senior-grade Lieutenants, if you will. They are not exempt from the physical fitness requirements like full Captains are."

"But to this point," continued Westboro, "we must consider if she should be allowed to be promoted at all. There are financial and other issues that would crop up if we do. So the time to act is now."

"You absolutely cannot just throw her off the Force, after what happened to her, and what she did to save her baby." said Dagmar Schoen, totally shocked.

"We have to do what is best for the overall Police Force, and for the People of this Town & County." Kelly Carnes replied with a sneer, taking a shot back at her enemy Schoen.

"We don't have to be so cold and callous about it, Mrs. Carnes." said J.P. Goldman. "Pastor Westboro, what are you recommending?"

"Yes, we can solve this with both discretion and compassion." said Westboro. "My recommendation is that Ms. Perlman be offered a full disability retirement, and the full pension that goes with that. She will also have standard Police insurance for the rest of her life, as any Police retiree does."

"What if she doesn't accept that?" asked Carnes. "What if she puts up a fight? Worse, what if the Iron Crowbar backs her up and fights for her?"

Her question was met with deafening silence...

Part 30 - Going Too Far

Vice Lieutenant Teresa Croyle entered the offices of the Chief Executive Officer of BOW Enterprises, Inc. at 8:10pm, still Tuesday, March 8th. Seeing no one at the secretary's desk, she knocked on the door and peeked inside.

"Teresa! Come on in." Todd Burke said. His assistant, a lovely thirtysomething Japanese woman named Mariko, was taking final notes before being sent home.

"Ah, hello Teresa-san." Marko said happily with a bow. "You look lovely today."

"Hi, Mariko-san." said Teresa, bowing back. "So do you. Forgive me for interrupting."

"Not at all." said Todd. "We're finishing up. You can go, Mariko-san. Have a good evening, and I will see you tomorrow."

"Thank you, Todd-sama." Mariko replied. With another bow, she left the office.

"She's a very nice lady, but so formal." Teresa said.

"Yes, she's from a Japanese family of ancient samurai heritage. So... where do you want to go to dinner tonight?" Todd asked.

"Anywhere you like." Teresa replied as Todd put on his heavy coat. Teresa knew that it had light body armor, as did his uncle's trenchcoat. She was wearing her own Police vest under her Uniform shirt and coat. They left, Todd turning off lights along the way.

BOW's factory was on the west side of the River. The lights of Crown Chemicals were visible from the main entrance, which faced north. BOW Enterprises was southwest of Town, due west of Junction Station as the crow flies.

As they got to the door, Teresa was about to go out when Todd said "Hold on." He was feeling something. "Something is not right, here."

They both looked out, but did not see anything. Todd peered out to the right, seeing the River and the rising land on the other side, an empty field dotted by a few trees. To his left were the railroad tracks running north-and-south, and farm fields on the other side.

Teresa was also peering into the darkness. "I don't see anything." she said.

"Well, let's not dawdle getting to the car." Todd said. They walked out into the parking lot and swiftly made a beeline towards Teresa's car, parked next to Todd's.

Reaching the cars, Todd was about to open Teresa's door for her when time seemed to slow down. They both saw the red dot flash on the car window, then move onto Todd's shoulder and chest...

"GUN!" Teresa shouted as she pulled Todd violently back and down. Just as they fell below the window line, Teresa's car window exploded in a shower of glass. A split-second later the crack of the rifle shot reached their ears.

"Stay down!" Teresa ordered. Taking out her gun, she peered around the bumper of Todd's car at the field across the river. She could not see anything, but as she reached for her Police radio to call it in, she heard the sound of a motorcycle being revved up. It faded away as the rider sped away...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The SWAT Team was moving through the dark field, using night-vision devices to see in the dark. They made a thorough sweep, but found no armed perps, nor anyone else for that matter. The Crime Lab personnel later found an expended .308 Winchester shell, and the tread of a motorcycle not far away, of which they got an impression. There were no fingerprints on the shell.

While the SWAT Team was in action, a bulletproof Police SUV came into the BOW Enterprises parking lot towards the front row of cars. Cindy Ross, riding shotgun as I drove, was looking for the two people lying on the ground between cars.

"Stop!" she said as she saw a mass. As I stopped, a flashlight emitted the dot-dot-dot dash-dash-dash dot-dot-dot of the S.O.S. morse code sign. I pulled in at an angle, very close to the cars, to give Teresa and Todd shielding as Cindy practically crawled into the backseat to open the backdoor for them. The door also offered shielding as Todd and Teresa dove into the backseat. I then backed the SUV to the far side of the parking lot, then drove them out of there as Cindy got on the radio to announce that the intended victims had been safely extracted...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded MILF reporterette from outside the gates of BOW Enterprises. It was Wednesday, March 9th, 7:00am. "Channel Two News has learned that gunshots were fired at BOW Enterprises CEO Todd Burke last night!"

"Mr. Burke was not injured," continued Bettina, "and the only damage was to the vehicle of Police Lieutenant Teresa Croyle, who was on the scene and called in the Police. The TCPD has made no statement about the shooting, citing that the investigation is in the earliest stages.

"In other news," Bettina went on, "The Town & County Council passed an ordinance prohibiting anyone from protesting, even peacefully, while wearing a mask. The ACLU stated in a press release that they would sue the Council if the ordinance passes next week's second reading of the bill. The measure was introduced by businessman Council Member Thomas P. Cook. However, the Council took no action with regard to the lawsuit filed by suspended Assistant Fire Chief William Jefferson against Police Commander Donald Troy. And now we go to Nick Eastwood for Sports..."

"Damn!" said Theo Washington as the Detectives watched in the very crowded MCD room. "First Lt. Perlman, now Lt. Croyle. Who will the bastards try to kill next?"

"I don't think they were trying to kill Lt. Croyle." said Detective Joanne Cummings. "I think they were trying to kill the Commander's nephew, and that after trying to kill Pete Feeley's baby."

"Why do you think that, Joanne?" asked Detective Julie Newton as she sipped her coffee.

Joanne replied "Todd is at work every day. He can be expected to be there, and to leave at some point in time. He parks his car in the same place every day. By way of contrast, Lt. Croyle does not go there every day, cannot be expected to, and might not park in the same place every time. If someone wanted to kill her, they'd set up outside Police Headquarters." There were murmurs of agreement.

"Also," Joanne said, "Todd is Commander Troy's nephew. Perps stole Pete Feeley's police badge from Commander Troy's office and left it at the crime scene when they thought they'd murdered the baby. I think both these murder attempts are directed at Commander Troy himself. And I hope he's on guard, because he himself may well be the next target."

"Very astute of you, Detective Cummings." said a voice behind them. "And yes, I am always watching behind my back." It was me, Your Iron Crowbar, that had said that as I came into the room.

As I poured myself a cup of coffee, I said "But all of you need to be careful. Wear armor if you're out in the field. And watch for motorcyclists. Tire impressions of a motorcycle were found, and the sound of a bike was heard right after the shots were fired at Todd and Teresa."

"Any idea who did this, Commander?" asked The Abacus, Julie Newton. "Is there any chance of catching and stopping him?"

"Time will tell, Detective Newton, time will tell." I replied. "All right, carry on, and keep your heads on swivels out there." With that, I left MCD for my office.

Of course, the Blue Crowbar followed the Red Crowbar into the office. Cindy had a full coffee cup as well. I called Teresa Croyle's office and asked her to step down the hall and join us, preferrably with a full coffee cup of her own. She complied.

"You did a great job last night, Teresa." I said after she was seated. "But I swear to God that if you get another Purple Order, I am going to put you on desk duty for the rest of your life. Especially if it's posthumous."

"Yes sir." Teresa said, knowing that I was being half-humorous but also serious, and that my words were out of concern for her.

"So, who do you think was the target?" I asked... though I'd asked the night before, as well.

"Sir, I still think your nephew was the target. I heard what Joanne said, and I think she's right. Someone is coming after you, but by the roundabout way of killing people close to you. I would really suggest you put your cousin on desk duty for the rest of her life, since she might be the next target."

I laughed heartily, not only at Teresa's words, but at Cindy looking daggers at her best friend. "That might be a very good idea." I said, then my humor left me as quickly as it had appeared. "But you do have a serious point. Cindy, you be damned careful out there."

After a few more minutes of talk, Teresa was called into the Chief's office, for the routine Internal Affairs review. Cindy was pensive.

"Don," she said quietly, and I suspected her bug-killer was on, "I know your nephew might have been the target, but my best friend might have been killed. And Tanya was almost killed, her mother-in-law shot dead, her baby lucky to be alive, and she's in a wheelchair and the Council is about to force her off the Police Force."

Cindy was staring at something as she said "I don't know if I can take much more of this. I know you want to to take this bastard alive, but I don't want to lose anyone else in the process. It might be Carole and Jim, or Ross and Ian and Molly he targets next."

I just nodded. I noticed that she was staring at the Trojan Horse, and the Anonymous mask next to it.

"Yeah." I said. "He's crossed the line. He's gone too far. I'm not willing to risk my family just to see him in a Courtroom. This can't go on like this."

Part 31 - Epilogue

Wednesday night, about 10:30pm. He was tired as he finished up his work. He turned off the lamp and left his office, going down the hall. The attempt on Todd Burke's life had unfortunately gone wrong, and young Burke had had that Police Lieutenant with him, covering him and preventing his lovely Sinon from getting a second shot.

Nevertheless, he would have the paper message delivered to the Iron Crowbar's office, to be seen the next morning, and the Iron Crowbar would know that if he didn't back off, it would get uglier. Much, much uglier.

Going outside, he heard the traffic and saw the white of the snow-covered ground; it had snowed again this afternoon. He saw some people walking about, and a number of old people from the Community Center, sitting on benches in spite of the cold. He wondered why he was seeing so many of them all the time around Town.

As he got to his car, he realized he had forgotten something in his office and would have to go back and get it. Walking swiftly, he went back inside the building and down the hall to his office door.

He stopped at the door... it was cracked open. Pushing it, he looked into the office, seeing that it was empty. The desk lamp was on; he could've sworn he turned it off. And then he saw it.

Going around to the other side of his desk, as if he were going to sit down, he looked at the object. It was a Guy Fawkes mask. The eye holes seemed to look at him, the sinister smile mocked him.

Beneath it was a sheet of paper. It was a photocopy of the message left on Commander Troy's wall in place of Feeley's shield, with 'Hampered' crossed out. The 'Troilus' was also crossed out, but in bright red Sharpie ink, and a message was scrawled in red on the paper:

"We are legion.

I do not forgive.

I do not forget."

He laughed derisively. What kind of puny threat is this? he asked to himself. He picked up the mask, and a slip of paper, a tiny slip, that had been attached to it floated down to the desk. He picked it up... and for the first time in his life a chill of fear raced down his spine as he read it:

Expect me.

Finis.