Sixes and Sevens Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

His second attempt comprised three lines. He stared at them and then deleted them also. He sighed, poured himself another coffee and settled back to the task. It took an hour, but when he'd finished it seemed to say what he wanted and not say too much.

Sam,

Your note in your card brought back very powerfully the strong emotions I had for you. After you had gone I had a bad time, and was very depressed. I really thought I had found the love of my life, and that you felt the same.

When your passport arrived you couldn't wait to go home, even though you had two months left on your visa. I should have suspected something then, but thought you wanted to go back to your parents. You lied by omission, Sam. There was something you didn't tell me, which if I had known, I would never have allowed us to get as close as we did, or at least I did.

If you really want to know why I stopped writing or reading your emails, ask your mother what she told me when she phoned to thank me for looking after you. Thanks to her unguarded remark I was able to put you behind me and get on with my life.

You have all you need where you are, and you torment me by continuing to write.

This is a final goodbye, please do not write again, I will not be able to bring myself to read anything you send; it would be too painful.

I wish you a happy life.

Aidan.

He read it, and re-read it. Yes, it was what he wanted to say. Let her work it out. He sighed, wondering what might have been.

He clicked on 'send'.

He felt better; he had finally put an end to something he had thought was good, and turned out to be false through and through. He hoped she would find happiness with her boyfriend or someone else, and felt his future spreading before him with all its possibilities. He sighed then smiled.

Chapter 12

Vancouver: a conversation

"Mom? Did you phone Aidan Redmond after I got back from Europe?"

"Why honey? Is something wrong?"

"You knew I didn't want you to phone."

"But Sam, sweetie, Daddy and I couldn't let it go without thanking him."

"You remember he stopped writing?"

"Why, yes, but didn't you write and ask him about that?"

"He never replied. I put a note in his Christmas card, and I got an email from him this morning."

"Well, I'm glad he's writing to you again."

"He isn't. Mom, what exactly did you say to him? Try to remember."

"Oh, it's so long ago, darling. We just thanked him for all he did for you. I said he was a hero as far was we were concerned. I'm sure I said he should stay with us if ever he came to Vancouver."

"Mom, something you said upset him deeply. He stopped writing to me because of something you said. He said in his email, I quote: 'Ask your mother what she told me.' What did you tell him?"

Her father intervened. "Brigid, you said we were ringing while Sam was out because we thought she didn't want us to ring. You said Sam was out with Kenny."

"Oh yes, thank you Michael. Then he said he was glad you'd found someone since you got home. I was surprised at that and told him you've been seeing Kenny for years."

"What?"

"Well, you have. You and Kenny, he's your boyfriend, isn't he?"

"No, mother, he is certainly not my boyfriend. He's one of my best friends, but not in that way. Thanks a bunch mother, you've managed to turn Aidan against me. He wants nothing to do with me ever again."

"But why? He was just someone you met who helped you out. Why would he be angry you were seeing someone?"

"Because we were more than friends. For one month we had a relationship, you do know what I mean by that? I made the running; he was a gentleman all through, that's what attracted me to him. To think I could have had two more months with him, and I cut it short to come home to you and Daddy. He thinks I lied by not telling him about Kenny, and that I've two-timed Kenny. He thinks I cut my time with him short to come back to Kenny!"

"Well I'm sorry hon, write and tell him. He'll understand."

"No he won't. He made it clear he wants nothing more to do with me."

"Well, I'll phone him and explain."

"No! Don't do that Mom! You've caused enough trouble already. Just leave it."

Chapter 13

Giles was hosting a New Year's Eve party at his 'modest manor' as he put it. Aidan was invited and Giles enquired whether 'that incredible woman you had with you last time' would be coming over for the celebrations. No she wouldn't, Aidan told him, but, on a whim, invited Julie. Well, not quite a whim: he felt a little guilty about neglecting her over the Christmas period.

"Are you doing anything for New Year's Eve?" he asked her.

"No," she answered, her interest aroused.

"Fancy going to Giles's bash?" he asked. "You know it's always over the top - wonderful food and extravagant booze."

"Are you inviting me?" she asked.

"Well, the words 'fancy going to' rather give it away, don't they? D'you think Caroline and Kevin would like to go as well? Kevin hasn't seen Giles in quite a while."

"I'll ask them," she said, "but I'd love to go in any case."

They all went. Caroline, clearly trying to make amends for her past attacks on Julie's relationship with Aidan, volunteered to be the designated driver, much to Kevin's relief in view of the effect drink had on her at parties.

The party, like all Giles's bashes was superb and had a wide variety people there. Julie kept close to Aidan as they discovered friends they knew, and talked with people they didn't, then danced some numbers in the 'ballroom'. They got a few interested looks, as people wondered if they were together again, but no one had the courage to ask.

It was at this point that Julie and Aidan became separated. Aidan had a sense of deja vu, as he went to get her a drink. When he returned with two glasses, she was dancing with someone Aidan did not know. He watched as they danced very properly, and she saw him as they rotated, and looked unaccountably guilty. Aidan smiled at her, and her relief was obvious. After the dance he saw the man ask her for another, but she thanked him prettily and came back to Aidan.

"You didn't mind?" she asked. "Really?"

"Not at all," said Aidan, with a big smile, "have a good time, enjoy yourself. That's what you're here for."

"I'm with you," she said assertively.

They danced together for a few numbers, then sat it out with Caroline and Kevin, who, Aidan noticed, had danced with each other and only with each other all night. Caroline was on her best behaviour. Aidan thought wryly that the fact she had to be sober as the driver helped. It was when she had had a few drinks she tended to get wild and uncontrolled. Kevin, Julie and Aidan were not so abstemious, and Julie in particular was getting high.

So once again Aidan left the group to get drinks for them all, and when he returned Julie was on the dance floor again and this time he recognised the man she was dancing with. It was Tristram, who had tried and failed to seduce Sam away from him. Tristram was whispering in Julie's ear, and she was alternately giggling and looking interested.

Their dancing was now not so proper. They were pressed together, his hands on her rear, pulling her against him. There was no sign of resistance. They kissed a long and steamy kiss. He was talking to her again and she was nodding. Tristram looked over to Aidan from time to time, a grin on his face, clearly thinking he was well on the way to seducing Aidan's date for the night.

Aidan could see it was revenge pure and simple. Tristram had been trounced by Sam, now he would get his own back. Aidan smiled. It made no difference to him what Julie ended up doing with that man. Tristram fondled Julie's breast and she closed her eyes. She rubbed herself against him. Aidan waited for Tristram's next superior smile. It came.

Kevin and Caroline had been deep in some discussion to which Aidan had paid no attention, and they hadn't seen her performance on the dance floor. Aidan didn't feel any resentment against Julie, indeed the more she went with other men, he thought, the more likely it was she would feel more optimistic about life and cheer up.

"Don't you think so Aidan?" Caroline was talking to him.

He started at his name. "I'm sorry," he said, "I've been in a world of my own. What was that?"

"Caroline was saying how wonderful it was to have a New Year to start things afresh," said Kevin, "I was saying you could do that any day of the year."

Aidan could see Caroline was angling to put more distance between them and her misdemeanour. He affected ignorance of her tactics.

"Well, we do that already," said Aidan. "The academic year starts in September or October, the financial year starts a week into April! Lots of chances to begin again."

He looked meaningfully at Kevin whose answering look showed he had caught the implication.

"But don't you think this time of year is special?" Caroline persisted.

"The Christmas period?" said Aidan. "Yes, it certainly cheers us up in the darkest days of Winter - and the days are already getting longer."

The discussion continued, and when Aidan next looked to the dance floor, there was no sign of Tristram or of Julie.

"Talking of cheer," Aidan added, "Julie seems to have finished dancing, I wonder if she's getting herself another drink."

"Go find her Aidan," urged Caroline. "She's really had enough, you know."

If she's gone with Tristram, so have I, he thought.

Aidan stood and went to the kitchen, where the drinks were. He had no intention of finding Julie; if she wanted to have fun with Tristram, that would be fine with him. When he reached the kitchen, he did not find Julie, but he did find Vicky, Kathy and Brendan.

He was about to settle for a spell with them when Giles came into the room looking worried.

"There you are," he said, addressing Aidan. "Sorry, but you need to know. Your girlfriend has gone upstairs with Tristram. They were, shall I say, behaving quite intimately."

"Don't worry about it," Aidan said soothingly, knowing how responsible Giles felt about his guests. "She isn't my girlfriend any more, just a friend."

"But I thought?"

"Yes, we used to be an item, but that was before she fucked round on me."

"Before Samantha?"

"Before Samantha. And I'm afraid Sam spoiled me for getting back with Julie. We just came tonight in the same car; she's my sister-in-law."

"Yeah, that, and not in the same class as Sam, eh?"

Aidan nodded. Giles breathed a sigh of relief and wandered off to be the perfect host somewhere else.

Aidan became conscious of the compassionate stares of the trio in front of him.

"It's ok," he assured them, "really. It really doesn't matter. I agreed to take her out, but I made it clear we would be no more than friends, and that she should be looking elsewhere for a more permanent relationship. So it seems she has. Not a problem for me, in fact it gets me out of a hole."

"But you came with her," said Vicky.

"I came with her and my brother and his wife, her sister."

"So you could leave here with us instead," Kathy grinned. "She'll have a lift with her sister or with this man she's been 'upstairs' with," and she gave a little giggle.

"I could indeed," said Aidan, "who's driving?"

"Vicky!" came a chorus of two.

"Ok?" he asked her.

"Ok!" she answered.

Aidan excused himself to tell Kevin and Caroline about his change of plans, the others having invited him to meet them in the front lounge where it was quiet and comfortable. He found the pair at the same table in the 'ballroom' they had been at all evening. Caroline was not dancing with anyone but Kevin, and earlier with Aidan.

"Find her?" asked Kevin.

"No," said Aidan blithely, "she's busy upstairs with a guy called Tristram."

"What?" Caroline gasped, "are you sure?"

"On the authority of our host, Giles," Aidan assured her. "Well, I've been offered a lift home by Vicky, so the field is clear if she wants to stay with Tristram."

"But I don't think..." said Caroline.

"I do," interrupted Kevin, "Julie is her own worst enemy, and she's blown it. Utterly. Completely. Hasn't she, Aidan?"

"Not really," said Aidan, "it was never going to happen in the first place, but at least you both now understand my position."

The both nodded miserably, and Aidan took his leave of them.

He joined the others in the front lounge and spent a contented time chatting about everything in the universe except accounting or finance. They lost count of time and before they knew it, Giles arrived at the door.

"Nearly midnight," he called, "we're letting in the New Year in the 'ballroom', and then there's the fireworks."

They called at the kitchen for drinks for the toast and obediently filed into the ballroom where the last dance was drawing to a close. Then came the countdown and the cheers and yelling, "Happy New Year!" Then the hugging and kissing.

Who was next to Aidan? Kathy of course! The kiss lasted until Vicky tapped her on the shoulder.

"My turn!" she said, laughing.

Kathy grinned and stepped aside into the arms of Brendan, who seemed to enjoy her smouldering kiss.

Vicky kissed Aidan and whispered, "Brendan and I - we're getting engaged."

"That's brilliant!" shouted Aidan. "Congratulations!" and kissed her again, turned to Brendan who was emerging from Kathy's ministrations, and shook his hand vigorously. Then the fireworks started.

No, real fireworks, outside.

Aidan felt Kathy's arm around his waist, and feeling relieved at being freed from Julie, draped his arm round her shoulder, giving her neck an occasional stroke, to which she gave an equally occasional moan of pleasure.

"Like me to come back to your place?" Kathy whispered the question in his ear.

Aidan hesitated.

"It's a special night," she crooned, "no strings, but I need a man tonight of all nights. I know you love someone else."

Aidan had had enough to drink to feel mellow; he ignored her reference to his 'love', inferred on her part, and nodded without a qualm. She squeezed his waist and he pulled her close. She looked up and smiled, and he looked down and did the same.

It was when the fireworks finished and they had disengaged and turned to go back inside the house, that Aidan saw Julie, her arm in Tristram's, looking annoyed, or was it upset, at him from across the room: she had to have seen Aidan and Kathy cuddling together on the terrace.

Both Julie and Tristram looked dishevelled in spite of attempts they must have made to straighten themselves up. Aidan learned later that Julie and Tristram had arrived half way through the fireworks, having missed the New Year celebration, or perhaps having one of their own.

Tristram initially had not seen Aidan with Kathy, and so had a superior grin which conveyed the message he had shagged Aidan's girl. Then Aidan saw them and pulled Kathy to him, to which she reacted by putting her arm round his waist again.Then Tristram's smile vanished. Aidan felt elated. He smiled a knowing smile at their appearance.

"We're ready to go, if you are," said Vicky, who clearly wanted some time alone with Brendan.

"Definitely," said Kathy, "and Aidan agrees, don't you darling?" She giggled at the affectionate term used to her boss.

"Yep!" laughed Aidan. "Ready, willing and able."

"Glad to hear it," Kathy reposted, with a dirty laugh.

As they moved out of the room, thanking Giles for his party on the way, Aidan saw Julie make a move towards him, intercepted by Caroline, who spoke urgently into her ear. Tristram dropped Julie's arm, and seemed eager to get away, and an argument ensued between the four. They were still arguing when Aidan left the room and the house.

Kathy and Brendan went to get the coats, and Vicky took the opportunity to talk to Aidan.

"Listen," she said, "Kathy knows the score. She loves you and you love her as friends, and there'll be no problem about benefits. There's no problem about work either. She needs to get laid tonight, and I'm sure you do too. Just go with the flow Aidan, and for once don't get on your high moral horse. I know you'll give her a good time, ok?"

"But work? What about the others?"

"The others know she's got a thing for you. They don't care. They're all in relationships of one sort or another. They'll be happy she got you, as friends with benefits. Believe me Aidan?"

Aidan was feeling very frustrated, all the more so since Kathy had been holding onto him and pressing her hard little breasts against his arm. He was drunk enough to leave what was left of his conscience behind.

"Ok, Vicky, she'll be coming back to my place."

Kathy and Aidan sat on the back seat of the car, pictures of decorum, and conversation centred on the party and Giles' skill as a host. The topic of Julie was avoided by all. Vicky pulled up outside Aidan's building and Kathy and Aidan made their farewells and watched the car drive away.

Kathy took his arm. "Now Mr Redmond, it's time to let the New Year in properly. Take me to your bedroom and ravish me till I cry for mercy!" and she laughed her dirty laugh which was unaccountably so endearing.

No sooner were they in the bedroom than Kathy simply shed her clothes, not that there were many to shed. She reached behind and he heard the zip travel down as the little black dress that Aidan knew so well came loose and slid to her feet.

Back went her hands again and the black lacy half-cup bra was unclipped and slid off her shoulders, down her arms and off revealing her pert little breasts, the nips standing proud.

Her hands slid beneath the waistband of her matching pair of boy-shorts and she eased them over her hips and gave a starting push, whereupon they floated to the floor to join the rest of her clothing.

She kicked off her high heels and rolled her black thigh high stockings down each leg until what was left was herself in all her neat, firm, tight, young glory.

His eyes went to her crotch as she stood with her legs enticingly apart, and there was the thinnest of landing strips leading to a shaved pussy. He came to himself and made to strip in his turn, but Kathy stopped him.

"Oh no you don't!" she barked, "as your employee, these chores are my job."

She moved up to him in all her nakedness and began to undo the buttons of his shirt. The proximity of her firm young breasts with their nipples hard and pointed with excitement were too much for Aidan and he went to fondle them.

"Hands by your sides!" came the order, and he moaned as he obeyed this harridan.

She giggled at her power over him. She finished unbuttoning him, and pulled the shirt out of his trousers, slipping it back off his shoulders so it fell to the floor.

"Mmm!" she sighed in appreciation of his torso and six pack, briefly running her hands over him. He knew he was no body builder, but he was trim.

She knelt and undid his shoes, removing each one and its attendant sock, affording him a view of her perfectly sinuous back, the vertebrae of her spine clear to see. Then she knelt up and looked smoulderingly up into his eyes with a sultry glare as she undid his belt and very slowly slid his zipper down.

Aidan was by now hard as a rock and needed release from his boxers, but she took her time easing his trousers down his legs. He lifted each leg for her to remove them. Then she ran a hand up each of his legs, feeling the contours of his muscles. A little noise escaped her throat, and a moan from him.

Now she moved to the back of his thighs and stroked over his bottom until she reached the waist-band of his shorts, sliding her hands inside over his taut buttocks then round his hips to the front, and his aching cock.

She pulled out the boxers over his cock and pushed them down quickly while she kissed the tip of his prick, all the time gazing into his eyes.