Slathaar: Invasion Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"My Overlord believes that Slathaar is greater than him," she corrects. A slight shift in meaning. But an important one. "And he will not leave Slathaar unprotected in his absence."

I draw a deep breath. Tomorrow morning, we leave for a mission that is critical to the survival of my people. We leave with a force of soldiers that is far fewer than any military commander would advise. I know this. I have heard Arngeirr in council, as well as Mariam. Both of them have advised a greater force. Gareth has listened, and chosen the opposite. And so we sail, dangerously undermanned, with the future of our people at stake.

"You know what, Mariam?" I heave a sigh. "I find myself in need of a drink right now."

She smiles. Mariam, Second-in-Command of the Armies of Slathaar, can outdrink any of us. I know this from experience. "I know an establishment that will serve us at this ungodly hour," she laughs. "Shall we drown our sorrows, Ormr?"

She is the most beautiful woman in all Slathaar. And she doesn't even know it. What she does know is futile love. And tonight, she needs a break from it, and the company of a friend.

Truth be told, I've been a little bit in love with Mariam from the first moment I laid eyes on her. But tonight, I nod and smile, and gesture for her to lead the way. Because sometimes, when you are in love, it isn't about what you want. Sometimes, your role is to just be there. To provide comfort.

***

Kari:

I kneel in my tent, and I pray to Arsu. There are more specific invocations that I can use, but tonight, I speak the words of the First Prayer.

Arsu protect us. Arsu watch over us. Arsu grant us fair skies. Arsu, let us journey in peace, and when our hearts grow weary, let us return home to happiness.

Let us return home to happiness. But where is home? Ingrid, my High Priestess has foreseen the destruction of our nation. Tomorrow, the Overlord sails to find a new home for our people. I will go with him, Arsu's representative in the godless lands he travels through.

Arsu protect us.

In the temple, those of us who have dedicated our lives to serving Arsu above all often laugh at the First Prayer. Because Arsu isn't a benevolent God. Arsu is a thread in the fabric. Sometimes, this thread can weave a beautiful tapestry. At other times, this thread is wild, tangled, nothing other than random chaos.

Arsu watch over us.

May the souls of those who perished in Kanata nourish you, Arsu. There is bitterness in that thought. Before I took up service in Temra, I was from Kanata. I lost relatives and childhood friends to Haf. Arsu received a rich offering of blood that day. May it be enough.

Arsu grant us fair skies.

We are a tough people. Our children learn to sail and fight as they learn to walk. It is the utter steel in us that even allows us to entertain what we need to do to protect ourselves from Arsu's twin brother Haf. We must hope that the brothers are not working together to plot our destruction.

Arsu let us journey in peace.

A three month sea voyage to reach Arianne. Then, a six-month perilous overland journey through the constantly warring kingdoms of Arianne to reach the desert that separates Arianne from Samarra, if a peaceful passageway can be arranged. And finally, negotiation with Samarra to cross their land. Our bravest sailors bring us rumours of uninhabited islands in the Southern Sea. We will cross the world to get there, but there, we will make our new home.

When our hearts grow weary, let us return home to happiness.

I quiet my mind. I restart the prayer.

Arsu, protect us.

12