Slaves of Love Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Nothing stays a secret for long within the walls of the palace ... she had known of Selia's departure long before I showed her the letter."

The smooth caress of the brush stopped for a moment at her statement before Dagon resumed his task at hand.

"She offered her help in finding the princess and escorting her back home. Of course I couldn't accept it, Selia is safer out there on her own than under the escort of any member of my Council, at least as long as they are all convinced that the influences around her make the Princess an unsuitable ruler. At least the latter is a point on which I have to agree with Marat, Selia is at an age when her own views are not fully developed yet, she is easily mislead by the words and ideals of those she cares for and love."

"It was my beloved sister's and Queen's wish for you to be a part of the child's life. But the child has grown into a woman who will have to face her responsibilities after returning to the court. The fact that she refused to bond with any of the slaves the noble houses generously offered, with the barely concealed intent to counterbalance the only male influence she had had so far in her young life, left me with a difficult choice. The Council had made it clear to me that they won't support Selia with so many unwelcome male influences around her."

Arianna turned form the mirror and took the brush from Dagon's hand. For a moment she dropped all her masks and reserves and looked at him from the painful depth of her midnight black eyes.

"My strength is dwindling, I am but a shadow of the woman I used to be. The lack of bonding is taking its toil on me, Dagon. I don't wish for your daughter to suffer the same fate as mine. But the time when I will be forced to resign by powers beyond my own is drawing closer with every painful day. I am planning to initiate Selia to the thrown after her bonding at the next full moon rise for I fear that I may not live long enough to pass on the burden of ruling to her later. I want her to have a bonded of her choice by her side, to lend her the strength and support I could never have. That is why I want her to take her time, for no fate out there that awaits her can be so regretful as mine."

"Your Highness, I don't know what to say," And he truly didn't know for the vulnerability of the Regent had touched is heart and made the respect he had always felt for her grow anew. "I can promise you to do whatever is in Selia's best interests."

The smile on Arianna's lips was sad.

"That is good, a mutual goal we share. That is what I was hoping to hear from you for we are facing times when we all have to be willing to make sacrifices."

The lady Marat appeared from behind a curtain with a triumphant gleam in her eyes and Arianna soon felt the excruciating pain run through her right shoulder.

"Guards! An assassin in the regent's chambers!"

Arianna fell to the carpet like a graceful leaf, tossed and toyed with by the winds of destiny for so long. Dagon was by her side instantly, pressing down on the wound as her eyes fluttered open again. It took a moment until he was able to read her empty expression, realization sinking into his mind just before he was dragged out of the room by the female palace guards.

"This slave stabbed the Regent!" Lady Marat's accusation drifted to him from afar.

He knew that his fate had been sealed, a victim of politics and intrigue he had become. It was written clearly on the sorrowful face of Arianna. The execution would be quick and not likely to be made public before the Princess' return. His daughter would not learn of the accusations against him in time, Arianna would make sure of that.

His life was the small price the Regent had agreed to pay for the continuity of the order of their world, the future of the royal linage and last but not least Selia's safety and happiness.

Author's Note: Thank you so much for you patience with me and for reading along! If you made it this far please take a moment to vote and share your comments. I enjoy working on this story and look forward to improving it. Your input is the best help and the only reward. Thank you so much!

12