Slow On The Uptake Ch. 02

Story Info
The aftermath of the kiss.
3k words
4.25
17.5k
12

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 10/16/2022
Created 05/19/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thank you to my editor Ditee.

**

Sam looked at the caller ID on her cell, then pressed ignore and put it back in her bag. That was the third time Blake had called while Sam was out shopping with Maggie.

"So are you going to tell me what the hell happened with you and Blake?" Maggie knew something was up, Sam always answered her phone for Blake, even if it was to tell him to she was busy and to stop calling.

"Nothing happened"

"Riiiight," Maggie looked at Sam and rolled her eyes "Ok then why won't you pick up your phone?"

Just as Sam opened her mouth to tell Maggie to just leave it alone, Maggie's phone rang.

Maggie look at her caller ID then smiled at Sam, "Oh look who it is..." Maggie pressed answer, "Hello "

Sam stared at Maggie really hoping it was not Blake, but knowing it was. All hope was lost when Maggie started talking into her phone, "You know Blake I am a little put out that you called my phone looking for another girl!"

Sam made a grab for the phone but Maggie just smiled at her and swatted her hand away.

"What happened Blake?" As soon as she asked the question Sam lunged at her and tried to grab the phone from her. Maggie stuck out her tongue and turned away from her.

Sam loved her friend but she did not want to deal with her when she found out about the kiss. Sam looked at Maggie's back praying that Blake would not tell her the truth.

She knew Blake had spilled the beans when a wide eyed Maggie whipped around and stared at Sam like she had grown a second head. While she stared Sam down she continued to talk to Blake, "Blake, I am going to have to call you back. Don't worry I will make sure she calls you." Before Blake could say anything Maggie hung up. She narrowed her eyes and pointed at her friend, "Talk, now!"

'Fuck,' Sam thought, 'Now I am going to have to tell her what is going on when even I don't know what the hell is going on.'

"Fine, but can we go get so food and a beer?"

'I am definitely going to need a beer for this,' Sam thought to herself.

As soon as the girls were seated at the bar and Sam had a beer in her hand, Maggie turned to her, "Ok spill, what the hell is going on?"

Damn it, she did not want to deal with this but she knew Maggie was going to make her talk so with a heavy sigh she confessed.

"He kissed me when he took me home the other day and I think I kissed him back."

"Why I am just hearing about this? And what do you mean you think you kissed him back? You either did or didn't!"

Sam could tell Maggie was a little put out that she wasn't told before she found out from Blake but she could also tell that Maggie was not really mad at her. Maggie actually looked kind of happy and Sam could not figure out why.

"Because it is weird and I don't know why it happened."

At that Maggie laughed, "Really Sam? I know you can be a bit slow but you had to know that Blake has a thing for you."

At that Sam shook her head feeling very confused, "We are friends, best friends! Shit, I think of him as a brother." OK, maybe not so much of a brother; at least not since the kiss, but she was not going to say that out loud.

Maggie looked at Sam like she wanted to kick her, "Bitch, you are an idiot."

Sam rolled her eyes and let out a small laugh, "Thank you Maggie, you are just too/so sweet. I am so lucky to have you as my friend."

"Well you are, but let's get to main thing..." Maggie looked at Sam like she should know what the main thing was; Sam of course had no clue what she was talking about.

"Ok, O wise one would you like to tell me what the main thing is?"

"Oh I don't know, maybe .... What the hell are you going to do about it?"

Wasn't that just the same question Sam had been asking herself since Blake left her at front door? She still did not have a good answer.

"Yeah, that... ummm I don't know" Sam took a big swig of her beer before turning very serious.

"I can't lose him Maggie, I need him but I really don't think there is anything more between us than just friends"

Maggie looked at Sam like she did not believe her at all. When Sam really thought about it even she was not so sure she really believed herself. Sam's head was really starting to hurt and she really did not want to talk about it anymore.

She looked at Maggie with pleading eyes, "Look Maggie can we just drop it for now and eat?"

Sam could tell that Maggie really wanted to keep to talking about it but thankfully decided to let it be for now.

"Fine but promise you will call the boy back today because he sounded kind of desperate."

"Yeah, I will" She knew she really needed to call him but really needed to figure out what to say first.

**

"What the fuck, Sam?"

"Well hello to you too, Blake."

It was 11:30 pm Sam had been trying to get the courage up to call Blake for the last three hours. She still had no clue what was going to say but she sucked it up anyway and called him.

The way Blake answered the phone shocked her a bit but she knew she kind of deserved it but his tone still pissed her off slightly.

"You know, I could have been hurt or in jail or a number of other crazy scenarios that I could have found myself in but you would have never known because you would not pick up your fucking phone!" Sam had to smile at that, Blake always did have a knack for the dramatic.

"Well are you hurt, in jail or in any other crazy predicament that I should know about?" Sam could not keep the smile out of her voice. No matter what was going on with the two of them he always made her smile even when they were fighting.

Blake sighed out loud, "Sam, why didn't you pick up the phone today? Don't even try giving me the 'I was busy" bullshit line."

"Ok, so how about the 'I did not have my phone on me' line?" She knew she was pushing it but he was just too easy to fuck with.

"Cut the bullshit Sam, I am not in the mood today." He did not really raise his voice but she could definitely hear it in his voice that he was pissed.

"Oooooooook then.... How about "I'm sorry and I am a big chicken shit?"

She her him let out a breath, "Ok I guess that will work, but try not to do that again because it kinda pisses me off." He said with a little laugh. She knew he would not stay mad at her but also knew now that the anger was out it was time for the awkward conversation.

She wanted to just get it over with so before he could say anything about what she knew they were thinking, Sam spoke, "Ok let's get it over with..." She took a deep breath and said the words," You kissed me."

"Yes and you kissed me back."

Yes, yes she did but she did not want to think about that.

"Ok now that we have that out of the way can we just go back to being normal?"

When Sam had called she still had no clue how she was going to handle this conversation but once she started talking to him she had realized that there was no way she was going to risk the only real friendship she had ever had. Yeah, she had other friends and she had Maggie who was her best girlfriend, but nothing came close to Blake.

"What?" Blake sounded surprised and a bit confused and that sort of confused Sam. She started to think about what Maggie said about Blake having a thing for her then she started to think about how right the kiss felt.

She gave herself a mental slap. She did not want to think about that, it did not matter anyway if she was not risking their friendship.

"We kissed. Now let's just go back to us... the best friends. It's not like either of us want a relationship with one another or anything and I am sorry but friends with benefits is out of the question." Sam was even more confused now than she was before because she really wanted to believe everything she was saying but could not seem to do it. She kept talking just hoping that she would truly believe what was coming out of her mouth, "A lot of friends kiss each other and I am surprised it never happened before, with all the time we have been shit face drunk together." Sam knew she was rambling and needed to stop before she said something dumb.

"Did you just compare our kiss to a drunken kiss? 'Cause if you did that's kind of fucked up."

Oops too late.

"That's not what I meant, and you know it!"

He let out a frustrated laugh, "I know you didn't mean it that way." He let out a small laugh, "You always ramble and say wrong shit when you get nervous."

She was happy to hear him laugh even if it was just a small one; it made her relaxed a little, but only a little. "So we're cool? You're still my best friend?"

"Yeah, still your best friend but only if you stop telling everyone I am your gay best friend."

She started to giggle, "Hey, that's not what I tell them. I call you my 'gay best friend who happens to be straight'. "

Blake let a low chuckle and she knew he was rolling his eyes at her," Yeah, that's not much better." Sam was happy they were back to joking around and laughing together.

She knew that everything would be ok. All she had to do was forget about the kiss and the way it made her feel. Easy, right? 'Yeah, real fucking easy.'

**

That night while Sam was thinking about how to forget about the kiss and make everything go back to normal, Blake was thinking about how to make sure she never forgot that kiss.

He had spent years accepting that he would never be more then Sam's best friend, but over the past year it had gotten so much harder to keep his feelings in check . Now that he had kissed her he knew that being the best friend was not going to be enough for him anymore.

It was going to take a bit of time and work to get Sam to see how great they could be together. She had her mind set that they could never be more than friends. She was so stubborn most of the time but he knew she felt something for him, he could tell by the way she had kissed him back.

He needed to talk to someone so he called the one other person who knew Sam well, maybe not as well as him but then again no one knew her like he did.

"Hello." As soon as Blake heard the voice on the other end of the phone he pulled his phone away from his ear to make sure he called the right number. His phone definitely said Maggie's cell but that was definitely not Maggie.

"Um... Is Maggie there?"

"Yeah."

There was a pause but Blake did not hear anything that would indicate that the other person was getting Maggie.

"Okkkk, can you get her?" Blake knew Maggie was not seeing anyone and could not figure out who the guy was on the phone. This guy was being an ass and Blake kind of wanted to hit him and he did not even know who he was.

"What, you finally gave up pining after my girlfriend so now you going to try my sister?"

Now how knew who it was and it made him want to hit him even more. How he did not figure out it was Dev,'king of the douchebags'', he would never know.

"Ok, one; she dumped your sorry ass, so she is not your girlfriend and two; Maggie would kill you if she knew you called her your sister. She's your step sister and never wants anyone to ever think you two are blood related."

"You're just being pissy 'because I will have that pussy again."

Damn, he really wanted to hit that fucker.

Blake clenched his jaw together before he could say anything back to Devin. He knew he was just trying to get under his skin and it was working but he would never let that asshole know that.

Just as he was taking a breath to calm himself before asking for Maggie again, he heard her yelling in the background, "Why the fuck are you on my phone?"

"It was ringing so I was being nice and picked it up for you."

Blake her let out a little snort of disbelief, "Yeah, I am sure you were just being nice." She said it with so much sarcasm it made Blake smile.

"Don't ever touch my shit again"

"Whatever, it is just Blake probably trying to see how he can get Sam to love him." He let out a cruel laugh.

Blake heard some rustling, then a door slammed shut, then Maggie came on the phone "Sorry about the asshole."

"It's cool. I'm just sorry you have to live with him; I think I would kill him."

"Thought about it a few times."

Blake laughed. "I am sure you have."

"Well Blake, I do hate the bastard but I think he might be right about why you called."

Blake winced at that, "I just need your advice on how to go about things."

"Well, when I talked to her she would not say much about the whole kiss to me other than she thinks she kissed you back... whatever the hell that means."

"Thinks!" Blake almost shouted the word. "She kissed me back and she knows it."

"You know how she is Blake... she does not do the whole emotional thing."

She let a sigh, "That's why she gets with guys like my asshole of a step brother. The guys who look good, fuck good but she never will have to worry about falling for because they suck at life and she is not dumb enough to fall for them."

"Ugh, I really don't want to think about Sam fucking anything." Well, not anything; he loved to think about fucking him but his gut twisted at the thought of her fucking Dev or any guy for that matter.

Maggie let out a laugh, "Of course that was the only part you heard. My point was, the kiss probably freaked her out, and she is not good at letting people in... hell, I have known her for 6 years now and I might be in more then most but she is still closed off." Blake heard her take a deep breath before going on, "I think she is afraid to want more with you for fear that she will lose everything."

Blake did not know what to think of that. "That makes no sense."

Maggie let out a breath of frustration, "Look dummy, you are the only constant thing in her life, the only thing that does not change, I think it scares the shit out of her to see you any different than her best friend!"

Ok, Blake could kind of see what she meant but he was still very confused. "So are you saying she is not going to see me as more than a friend, ever?"

Judging by the sound that he heard Maggie make over the phone he could tell he did not understand what she was saying and she was not happy about it.

"That's not what I said dumbass. And really I don't think she knows how she feels but I think you need to give it a shot."

"Yeah I know I have to give a shot, I can't take it anymore."

"Awww, Blake has grown some balls and is going after what he wants."

Blake could definitely tell she was trying to hold in a laugh but failing badly at it.

"Shut up Maggie." He smiled. "So what do you think I should do?"

Maggie thought about it a minute, "I have no idea, but when you think of a plan I will be glad to help. But you are on your own till then."

Damn, he was really hoping she would know what to do but should have known better.

"Alright Mags, thanks for your help! I got some planning to do."

"Good luck." With that Maggie hung up. If Sam just wanted to be friends then Blake was going to play along, while finding ways to show how good they could be as more then friends.

He knew Sam and knew that if he just dumped on her how he felt, then she would run. He needed to take it slow and let her figure it out on her own. Should be easy but nothing was easy when it came to Sam. He was going to have to show her without her figuring out what he was doing.

It was Game on! He was going for the one thing he wanted since he was a teenager- Sam.