Solace & Rosanna Ch. 09

Story Info
Sealed with a kiss.
2.8k words
4.25
7.4k
1
0

Part 9 of the 23 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 09/18/2003
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Alacia
Alacia
2 Followers

1998: Solace awakened that Sunday with anticipation. She was to meet Rosanna at Maria's Market—a new restaurant on 91st street that offered what was billed as "healthy" cuisine. Solace was not particularly health conscious, but she did make an effort to eat something nutritious at least a few times a week. She stood in front of her closet with the gooseneck lamp shining brightly over her shoulder. Gracious, that lamp is hot! I better pick something before I fry here. This was a thought that ran through her head each time she stood in front of her closet. She decided on a pair of white jeans and a red long-sleeved shirt. And now for the all-important shoes! She scanned the rows of her shoe rack and picked out a pair of white walking shoes that had a small black heel as she knew she'd be wearing a black sweater. As she was in such a free-spirited mood, she left her mane of auburn hair loose and simply brushed it to remove any stray tangles. She dabbed on a lipstick that she and Jessie had picked out at Bloomingdale's. Jessie had advised her that it made her look sexy, but not slutty. Now why did she care about looking sexy? Better not stop to analyze that one recalling the dream she'd had the night before.

When she was ready, she sat down in her favorite chair. She hadn't been sitting two minutes when she jumped up and flew back into the bathroom for a last check of her lips and to dab a bit more deodorant on. She was filled with a nervous energy and couldn't seem to sit still, which was probably why she dashed out of her bathroom and into the wall.

"Ouch!" she yelped. She backed into the bathroom to assess the damage. I better put some ice on it, she thought. Having retrieved the frigid remedy, she sat down and plastered it to her head hoping to avoid a goose-egg.

"Why me?" she asked the empty room. She answered her own question. "Because your head's screwed on backwards thinking about this woman. That's why. Now try to pull yourself together before you do serious damage to yourself or some unsuspecting pedestrian.

She sat there until she checked her watch and realized she had better be going or she would be late. But I've got to call Jessie, she thought. I need her to give me some words of wisdom. She picked up the phone and punched in the numbers. The phone rang for quite a while before it was finally picked up by a very sleepy Jessie.

"Solace, this better be good. I just dropped off a couple of hours ago," said a very groggy Jessie.

"Is that true or are you trying to play one of your awful jokes on me?" Solace asked with suspicion.

"No, I'm not doing that. I worked on the musical until seven this morning and I—" She broke off. "What do you want, woman?"

"I need advice. I'm meeting with Rosanna today and I just want to do the right thing and not scare her away," Solace said, unconsciously beginning to play with the dripping towel she had previously used to dab at her recently injured forehead.

"Solace, just be yourself," Jessie advised.

"Be myself? Well, I guess I could try that. You think she'll be freaked out by the blind thing?" Solace asked with uncharacteristic self-consciousness.

"Doesn't she already know?" Jessie asked.

"Well, yeah, but—" Solace realized that she must sound ridiculous and decided that Jessie was right. If Rosanna had been scared off by the blink act, she would not have asked her out. Right? Right.

"Thank you, Jessie. You're right, as always," Solace said.

"Oh, please. You know you don't think I'm always right. So don't even try that, Solace. Just have a great time, okay. And goodbye!" With that she hung up the phone, rolled over and attempted to complete the sleep that crazy Solace had interrupted. But her last coherent thought was that she hoped Rosanna was not going out with Solace out of curiosity or pity. She fell asleep with a frown marring her smooth, milk-chocolate complexion.

Solace put down the phone, grabbed up her bag and flew out of her door. She was halfway down the stairs when she realized that she had forgotten her cane. She ran back up the stairs, panting from exertion and frustration. She opened the door and went to its normal location. No cane. She growled. She then went on a rampage, looking for her lost mobility device. Where had she put it? She could not go without it. It did not occur to her to look in her closet.

Rosanna had not felt this nervous since her first date—and that was many dates ago. She chose her outfit with care, stopping at one point to remind herself that Solace probably would not be able to see what she was wearing. But she quickly dismissed that idea. Sol has some sight. I don't know how much, but she might be able to see me and I want to look good for her. Why this should matter so early in their relationship, she did not know. Relationship? She had chosen white pants, a navy long-sleeved shirt and short navy-colored boots. She applied only a light lipstick and dabbed on her signature scent--"Sensuale". She didn't have to worry about her hair because she had squeezed in an appointment with her stylist the day before. She smirked as she recalled the conversation:

"Alos, please! I need my hair done. I have a really important meeting." Rosanna hoped this would sway the popular, but temperamental hairdresser.

"Everyone's important, R. I have clients calling me up saying they're meeting with this person and that person. What can I do? I'm only one person," Alos Tempierri sighed with self-importance. Alos, who never allowed anyone to call him Al.

"Okay, Alos. I have a date." Rosanna confessed.

"Good for you. When don't you have a date?" Alos sniffed.

"Look. I'll make a deal with you. If you'll squeeze me in, I'll give you some computer lessons." Rosanna offered. She knew she must be desperate because the thought of the high-strung hair genius at a computer was positively frightening. But she needed her hair done.

"Well…maybe I can—" Alos began, but was interrupted.

"Great! When can I come?" Rosanna pounced on the opportunity like a puma on its prey. She did not want to give him any room to wriggle out of the deal.

"If you can make it here in half an hour, I'll start someone, do you, and finish them after," Alos said.

"I'll be right there," Rosanna said and hung up the phone without giving him a chance to say another word. As she dashed across town, she lamented her decision to teach Alos anything related to computers. She wondered if he could even grasp the basic concept of e-mail. Well, what was done was done and he certainly would not let her forget the hastily-made bargain.

Rosanna slung a navy sack-like bag over her shoulders, grabbed up her keys and sunglasses and left her apartment. She gave herself plenty of time to walk as it was a glorious spring day—just right for getting to know someone.

Rosanna paced the sidewalk as she waited for Solace. She looked at her watch. Hadn't they said they would meet at eleven? Maybe in her uncharacteristic nervousness she had heard wrong. No. She wasn't that far gone yet. At half past eleven she began eyeing the streets for a pay phone. She thought she might call Solace. But why would Solace be home? She should be on her way. Rosanna waited outside the restaurant thinking, at least they hadn't made reservations. She was just about to walk down the block for what seemed the hundredth time when she felt someone hit her from behind nearly causing her to fall forward.

"What the—" Rosanna exclaimed as she whirled around to confront what she thought might be a mugger only to find Solace holding her nose.

"Excuse me. I didn't--" Solace began and then realized it was Rosanna. "Sanna! I'm so sorry. I couldn't find my cane. I never put it in the closet. I don't know what made me do that. I ran into a wall, and now I probably have a goose-egg." Solace was speaking so fast, Rosanna thought she might hyperventilate.

"Slow down, Sol," she said softly and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "It's all right. I'm just glad you're here. I was starting to worry."

As Rosanna came closer to her, Solace became aware of a fragrance she had never experienced. It was difficult to describe, but it surrounded her in a heady cloud.

"What are you wearing?" she asked Rosanna, taking in another whiff.

"White pants and a navy—" Rosanna began to describe her outfit but Solace interrupted her.

"No, you're fragrance."

"Oh, it's called Sensuale." Rosanna answered, feeling slightly embarrassed at her assumption.

"it smells wonderful." Solace breathed.

"Thank you." Rosanna thought it must be true about what they say about blind people having heightened senses. She was quickly disabused of this idea with Solace's next statement.

"I don't want you to think that I have a keener sense of smell or anything. Actually, my sinuses are the bane of my existence, but I've never smelled anything like that and it's great."

"Oh, okay," Rosanna said, mentally crossing off heightened senses from her list. "We should go in."

They entered the brightly lit restaurant and Rosanna noticed the curious and admiring stares of several patrons. She was unsure how this made her feel—uncomfortable, embarrassed? She should feel proud, though, because as Solace was inquiring about her cologne, she had been staring openly at Sol. She looked fantastic. Her clothes fit her lovely curves very well and her hair was a sight to behold. She felt her mouth go dry and her heart-rate quicken. Solace, of course, seemed completely oblivious.

She had offered to take Solace by the arm, but she had gently, but firmly refused her assistance.

From the moment they sat down, they talked. They were so engrossed, they barely remembered to eat the deliciously prepared omelets that lay before them, growing cold. Solace felt flushed with excitement and Rosanna could hardly sit still for the growing warmth that was seeping through her pours.

Solace told Rosanna about her trials in college and Rosanna told Solace about her trials in starting and maintaining Getting Started With. And, of course, they discussed their favorite works by Mozart.

Everything was going smoothly until Solace realized that the conversation had shifted to a barrage of questions about her visual impairment. Normally, she did not mind discussing the subject, but she wanted to learn more about Rosanna as well. However, once on this subject, Rosanna seemed reluctant to leave it until she had wrung every last drop of information out of Solace.

"Wow! Are you writing a book on visual impairment or something?" Solace asked between sips of her smoothie.

"No, I'm just curious. I've never been around someone who's—" Rosanna cut herself off.

"Blind," Solace finished. A prickling sense of discomfort began to creep slowly through her body, and she felt herself grow hot with a dreaded realization. "Rosanna," she began. "Did you ask me out because you were interested in me or because I'm blind?"


It was Rosanna's turn to feel uncomfortable.

"I…I… No. I asked you out because I wanted to spend some time with you, Sol" Rosanna stammered.

"Are you sure? Because it never entered my mind to come out with you because you're sighted." Solace said, her face feeling hot. She dabbed at her forehead with her napkin.

"Okay. I was curious, but, Sol… You're also…" Rosanna did not have a chance to finish her statement because Solace had risen and was unfolding her cane, preparing to leave.

"Sol, where are you going?" Rosanna asked, rising, putting a hand on Solace's arm.

"I'm not a curiosity, Rosanna. I'm a woman who thought she was going to spend a lovely afternoon with someone who was interested in me, not my disability." Solace wrenched her arm free from Rosanna's grasp and made her way to the door. She was moving at such a hurried pace that she didn't see the full plate of food perched on the end of the table. Crash! Solace's shoulder bag pulled down the plate as she passed. Food splattered the floor. The restaurant grew hushed for a few minutes, but quickly returned to life as a bus-boy rushed to clean up the mess.

"I'm so sorry," Solace muttered as she made her way to the door. Her eyes were filling with tears. This was not good as it made it even more difficult for her to see.

Rosanna watched the scene as if in slow motion. She paid for all meals, eaten and uneaten, and bolted out of the crowded restaurant. She hoped to be able to catch up to Solace.

Once outside, Rosanna looked left and right and spotted Solace making her way to a bus stop. She ran to catch up to her before the bus arrived—not too difficult in Manhattan she thought.

"Sol!," Rosanna called as she drew near the woman, who now stood dabbing at her eyes with a tissue. Solace did not look up.

Rosanna came to stand directly in front of Solace. She took the tissue from Solace's hands and gently wiped away the tears. Solace reached out to retrieve the sodden article, but Rosanna grasped her hand.

"I'm sorry, Sol." She whispered.

"I'm not a freak. Just because you haven't encountered any blind people, doesn't mean we belong in Ripley's museum." Solace blurted out.

"I know. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I was just—" Solace interrupted her.

"I know. Curious." Solace sighed in exasperation.

"Well, you know, it's hard to forget the blind thing since so far you've tried to sit on me, bump into me and topple over a perfectly good plate of food" Rosanna said, smiling down at her from her slightly elevated position.

"Well… Oh my gosh, I've got to pay for that food." Solace realized with a start and reached into her bag as she began to head back to the restaurant. Rosanna stopped her by placing a firm hand on her cane.

"I did that," she said.

"How much was it? I'll pay you back. I didn't mean for you to pay for me. I have money." Solace said, looking straight into Rosanna's eyes, even though she still could not discern their color. This caught Rosanna off guard a bit as it did not appear that Solace had a vision problem at all.

"No, no. Let me do this…just this once…as an apology." Rosanna said, moving closer to Solace.

Solace could feel Rosanna's warmth and smell her cologne, and she didn't want to argue about anything. She wanted to… No. I'm not going there here in the middle of the street.

"Okay," she said softly. "But you've got to let me do what I can do, Sanna." Solace said with finality.

"I will try my best, Sol. I'm pretty old-fashioned and I'll want to do for you." Rosanna countered, brushing a stray lock of hair from Solace's eyes.

"Old-fashioned is nice, but smothering is not. If you observe me, and I know you will, you'll see I'm pretty independent, Sanna. I promise." Solace finished.

"Okay. But can I walk you home?" Rosanna asked.

"Who says I'm walking? And, hey, you look great! We compliment each other." Solace said, running a hand down Rosanna's arm, sending warm tingles through both of them.

Impulsively, Rosanna leaned down and kissed Solace gently on the lips. Solace was taken completely by surprise, but she did not pull away. Rosanna's lips were satiny smooth, and she had to restrain herself from throwing her arms around the woman and melting into a longer embrace. When the kiss ended, they stared at each other in complicit silence. Solace had never had a really "out" friend and she was thrilled by the prospect. But she would let Rosanna Romero know that she was no pushover. She was certain this Latin lover was a true lady's woman, and she had to make it clear that they should be friends first and then… Well, who knew? Solace wondered how long her resolve would last.

Rosanna simply could not hold herself back when she bent her head to peck Solace on the lips. They were such beautiful lips and she desperately needed the contact. How long would it be before…? No. She couldn't just throw this one in the sack and ravish her, excruciatingly tempting though it might be. Pleasantly surprised, she found she wanted much more from Ms. Solace Tynan. Coincidentally, Solace was thinking the very same thing about Ms. Romero.

Alacia
Alacia
2 Followers