Somebody That I Used to Know Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Aunt Claire, come look."

Alexandra had resorted back into a child, eager to show-off her new friend, Claire sat down and instantly felt the connection to this new baby girl in their lives.

"She's beautiful Lexi."

"Yeah, I know." Alexandra was close to tears as she held her daughter in her arms. "Where's Liam, I wanted you two to meet her before they take her away."

"Liam's asleep, we'll wake him up later once she's gotten cleaned up."

Lexi gave a quiet 'O.K.' and reluctantly handed over her baby to the nurse who carefully took the girl to the nursery.

"You thought of a name yet?" Claire passed time while the nurse was still in the room.

"No, we'll think of one together but I like the sound of Nicola, that might work."

The nurse had left the room. "Yeah I'm sure you'll think of the best name together. Listen Lexi, I want to ask you something, something important."

"Yeah, sure, what?"

"Your daughter, Nicola, her dad. It isn't Liam is it?"

The colour drained from the already pale Alexandra. "What?"

"Liam isn't the father is he?"

"Why, why would you say that? Why would you cast these horrible remarks about me, you're my family, the only one I have left."

"Because I'm not your only family, you still have Adam. He's the dad isn't he?

Alexandra sighed, knowing she was beat but not giving up yet. "Why do you say that?"

"Come on Lexi, I know you, a two week premature baby born healthy, I don't think so, not with your luck."

"That's really cruel Aunt Claire."

"But you know it's true, you know as well as I do that you can't have anything like that happen to you without a price."

Lexi wiped away the tears from her eyes, cruel as she was being her aunt was right. Claire waited for Lexi to calm herself before continuing.

"Besides, you didn't want Adam to know about the baby and you haven't talked to me about what he's going through so you obviously still haven't told him."

"What, what's wrong with Adam?"

"Nothing, Kaman is pregnant. Has been since April."

"Oh."

"Oh? That's all you have to say, oh?"

"Well what am I suppose to say huh? Thanks for telling me that my daughter already has a brother or sister and that her father's married to another woman making her a bastard, an incest bastard just to rub it in?"

"So Adam is..."

"Yes Adam is the father, we had a quick fuck on New Year's, what we said about Cyril was true but we left out the part where me and Adam had sex by our pond."

"What were you thinking Lexi?"

"I wasn't, I just needed someone to hold, to help me and Adam was there. We never planned it, we both regretted it and we've not talked to each other since. And in all honesty I think it'll be best if it stays that way."

"So you're not going to tell him about the baby."

"No, I'll keep that Liam is the father if he finds out but I'll never tell him. Too many people risk getting hurt here, I won't be the reason for another marriage breaking up."

Claire took Lexi's hand in hers. "I don't know whether you're brave, stupid or both. You do realise the effort that will go into this, what will you do if Adam does find out that's his daughter?"

"I'll deal with it then, I'll have plenty time to think of something, with our history she'll be in college by the time he finds out.

*

2006

*

Adam's eyes fluttered open, the dull white of his room was enough to hurt his vision, he didn't need to be told where he was, the feel of the bed and the steady 'beep beep beep' of the machine next to him told him.

He was in the hospital.

"So you're finally awake then?"

A familiar voice behind him made Adam turn round in the bed to see Alexandra sitting on the chair beside his bed, her expression showed she wasn't happy to see him.

"Lexi, what happened?"

"You don't remember? You don't remember embarrassing us all in front of all the people your mum worked with, you don't remember making a big scene because you couldn't wait a couple hours to discuss things rationally? You don't remember forcing me to admit that my daughter is actually yours as well."

Adam did remember, everything came falling back to him. "Oh shit, where's Kay?"

"Back at Aunt Claire's house, with dad, he's trying to stop her from running out of here and back to Hawaii, she said something about burning everything you have so you don't come back. Kevin and Nicola are with Claire at the park, keeping out the way of everything. And Kale is at the police station, they've been waiting for you to wake up so they can ask some questions."

"Questions, what questions?"

"Adam, he attacked you with a pint glass to the face, you had to be taken to hospital, that's a criminal offence, he's looking at jail time."

For the first time Adam remembered why he was in the hospital, the glass to his face, it was only then he realised that he had a bandage over his left eye.

"What's going on here, what's wrong with my eye?"

Lexi felt uncomfortable, as badly as Adam hurt her this was a big deal and he needed to know. "Adam, the glass cut up your face pretty bad, most of it around your eye, there were too many shards and it basically shredded your nerves. It's not looking good."

"What? What's not looking good? Lexi, please, tell me."

"I haven't seen a doctor in a few hours but from what I've heard... there's around an 80% chance you're going to lose the eye."

Adam felt himself physically slump, lose his eye, never had he even thought such a thing would happen. But, thinking about it, maybe he had this coming.

"I deserve this." He spoke softly, mostly to himself but Lexi still heard him.

"What?"

"I said I deserved this, I fucked up badly, I made a mistake and hurt a lot of people, only fair I get punished."

"Adam, I know you're hurting but don't ever call our daughter a mistake again."

Adam looked up at Alexandra and saw a look in her eyes, a mother's pride, she wouldn't take any insult against her daughter.

"So, she is mine then. I wasn't sure if you just said that or not."

"No she's yours, you were the last guy I slept with and I was already pregnant when I started seeing Liam."

"I take it he didn't know."

"No, I should've told him, I know. I thought I needed him to think he was the father but I should've been clear with him."

"You think Liam would've raised another man's child?"

"I believe he loved me enough to, yes. Ugh, but he was so happy to be a father again and he loved Nikki so much that I couldn't tell him. Until you I never thought I'd ever have to tell him."

"Loves."

"What?"

"Liam loves Nikki. Just because she's not his doesn't mean he stopped loving her."

"Yeah, I guess."

There was a silence that passed between the two cousins, they both knew there were a lot of things they needed off their chests and a long talk was in their future but the hospital was not the place."

Alexandra stood up. "I'll get the officer then go home, tell Claire you're awake. She's got some telling off to do."

Adam gave a weak smile. "Thanks Lexi."

Alexandra turned to leave but stopped before she opened the door. "How did you know? That you were Nikki's father."

"Liam told me she was born on October 1st, 9 months after our new year incident. Easy to figure it out from there."

"Did Liam also say she was two weeks premature."

"Yeah he did, but I knew that was bull. No offence Lexi but you're not that lucky."

Alexandra chuckled lightly. "That's the same thing your mother said when she found out."

"Mum knew?"

"Of course, don't think too bad on her, I asked her not to tell, she thought I was stupid."

"Mum always was smart like that."

"Shame you couldn't take after her."

Before he could retort Alexandra had opened the door and left, Adam felt a sad smile grow on his face, his marriage was effectively ruined and he destroyed whatever Liam and Lexi had. But at least Lexi was in good spirits, no doubt she hated his guts and would most likely tear his head off the very moment they had some time alone to talk but for the moment she was good and he took that for what it was worth.

The two police officers arrived not long after Alexandra left, they already had their notepads ready to ask him.

"Mr McAllister, my name is D.I. Ross, this is my partner Detective Brown. We're here to ask you about what happened between you and Mr Kealoha."

"Before we start I want this on the record. I don't want to press charges."

The two officers were confused, Brown spoke up for the two of them. "Are you sure Mr McAllister, he put you in the hospital and from the looks of things took your eye."

"I know what he did but I deserved it, you know I'm Kale's son-in-law right? Well I hurt his daughter and he reacted accordingly, I even told me he'd blind me if I hurt Kay, although I'm not sure if he meant that, I think he's just as surprised as I am."

Ross wrote in his notepad. "How did you hurt your wife Mr McAllister?"

"Nothing physical Officer, I just... I cheated on her six years ago with, an old friend. We met up again and she had a daughter. My daughter. I deserved what I got and Kale deserved to give it to me. Send him home but don't charge him, please."

The two officers asked Adam a couple follow-up questions but with no charges being pressed they didn't stay long, when they left Adam picked up today's paper, Lexi brought it with her and left it on the table. Reading the front page he found his interest drawn to the headline:

MONSTER FATHER KILLED BY SON.

Father of three Cyril Moreno was killed last night by his eldest son Jonathan after Cyril allegedly sexually assaulted his own 12 year old daughter Lori. Sources say that Jonathan tore his father off his sister and repeatedly beat his head with a hammer before passing out from exhaustion. Both children have been taken to hospital for their injuries, no word yet on the location of middle child Vincent or their mother Karen O'Riley.

*

Adam spent the best part of a month in the hospital, his left eye was damaged beyond repair and had to be removed, it was a long and complicated procedure but he managed to get through it with no immediate problems.

During his time in hospital Adam was visited by only a few people, his mother came most often, usually to tell Adam how stupid he was, she also told him that she'd begun dating John and was happy. Adam liked that his mother was moving on from his father.

Lexi came by a few times as well, she always came alone and Adam never questioned where Nicola was, he wanted to get to know his daughter but didn't push Lexi on the subject, they were still trying to stay civil with each other

Kale, Kay and Kevin had all gone home to Hawaii, none of them came to visit him. Ray stayed a couple days to get to know his granddaughter better, he came to see Adam once, more to warn him to stay away than anything else.

Nobody had heard from Liam since.

When he was released Adam went to live with his mother, he felt a little embarrassed, a nearly 40 year old man and he had to live with his mum again, but he didn't have much choice. Making his own way from the hospital, Adam knocked on the front door.

"You know you don't need to knock Adam." Clare said as she opened the door. "This is still your home."

"I know mum, it's just been a while."

Claire looked into her son's eyes... eye. It was difficult for her to remember what he had suffered, she was so use to his normal handsome face, now scared because he was a fool. She tried not to look at his eye-patch but it was too prominent not to.

"Come in, I'll make you a coffee."

Adam followed his mum inside, it hadn't been that long since he was last here, just six years, but he felt like an outsider, like he didn't belong here anymore.

"I won't stay long mum, just a week so I can find a new place."

"So you're not going back to Hawaii?"

"I don't think Kay wants to see me again, Ray made that perfectly clear, I'll give her some space."

Claire picked up an envelope and handed it to Adam. "Here, Kay left this before she left, I haven't read it but she wanted you to have it."

Adam took the letter, trying hard to keep his hand steady as he did, then went to the next room to read it. Opening it up he read it slowly, wanting to get every word memorised, this was the make-or-break of his marriage right now.

Adam,

I wanted so bad to say this to your face but I knew if I saw you again I would hurt you and myself.

By the time you read this I'll have gone back to Hawaii with my father and my son. I don't want you to come back.

You can still be a part of Kevin's life if you want but right now we need to stay apart until I can decide if I want to continue this marriage.

I still love you Adam, but what you did hurt me more than anything I've felt before and I need my space so I can get my head straight.

Please understand me and don't fight me on this, not yet, we'll meet soon and talk but until then stay where you are.

Kanani.

Adam reread the letter twice more, he felt a single tear run down his face, was it happy or sad he didn't know, the letter was basically an ending to their marriage but hinted at the possibility of continuing, he didn't know what to think.

He was glad when Claire didn't question him on the subject.

*

Five months passed since then. Adam found himself a part-time job with a tax revenue call centre, being called a fucking twat on a daily basis seemed to fit him perfectly. It wasn't much but he was able to work around his Law degree, his third attempt at trying to actually finish the course, he was easily the oldest in the class and with his eye patch he found making new friends at school and at work quite difficult.

Still he didn't complain much, he bought an apartment not far from his mum's house and set about rebuilding his life. He still saw Lexi quite often (although still no sign of Nicola) and they managed to stay on speaking terms, just. Still though, it was clear they needed to have that long talk.

Near the middle of October Adam took a few days off work and flew to Hawaii, it was his son's 6th birthday and Adam wasn't going to miss this. Returning to the place he called home for nearly a decade brought back some memories but that was to be expected. What wasn't expected was seeing Ray standing outside waiting for him. The two former friends shook hands but nothing more.

"Alexandra called, told me you were coming." Ray explained to the puzzled look on Adam's face. "Asked me to pick you up."

"You didn't have to."

"Yeah right, I'm not gonna ignore my daughter, regardless of her mistakes with you. Get it, Kay's expecting you at her house."

Adam put his present for his son in Ray's boot and got in the passenger side, the drive up was uncomfortable, neither man wanted to break the silence. Besides they had nothing to talk about, their friendship was dead and showed no signs of coming back to life, their shared DNA with Lexi and Nicola meant nothing to either of them.

Pulling up outside Kanani's house Adam saw that some things had changed, the windows were different, the door had been repainted, he looked through the window and saw new wallpaper, new furniture, no everything near about. It was like Kay had redone everything, trying to start again and forget about him.

"How's Kay been?" Adam asked Ray before he got out the car.

"She's busy, a little tired at times, mostly sad though. When you called and said you were coming for Kevin's birthday she cried herself to sleep."

"But she told me I could come. I never realised."

"Of course you didn't Adam, you never do. She only said that because she felt sorry for Kevin not seeing his father on his birthday. It wasn't like she wanted to see you again. Now get out and get inside."

"What about the present?"

"I'll take that to my house, we're hiding the presents there for a surprise."

Adam got out and let Ray deal with Kevin's present, every step he took he felt the guilt over what he did punch him in the gut, his hands were shaking, sweat dripping down his face, he wanted to turn back but knew he couldn't, Kanani was still his wife and Kevin still his son, he wanted to be part of their lives again.

Before Adam could even knock the door it opened, Kay stood on the inside, he could tell by her eyes that she felt that same hate that she felt the last time they saw each other.

"Hey." Adam spoke quietly after a silence.

"Hey. I saw Ray pull up."

"Right. I didn't see you at the hospital."

It was like Kanani was broke out of a trance and she saw Adam's eye-patch for the first time.

"Jesus Adam. Is that... Is it permanent?

"Yeah, your dad pretty much shredded me, had to take the eye out."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be, I deserved it."

Kay looked up at Adam, a tear forming in her eye. "You honestly believe that, don't you?"

Before Adam could answer he was interrupted by the happy, squeaky voice of a child.

"DAD!"

Kevin ran up to his father, Adam managed to kneel down just in time to hug him. The father and son held each other tightly, like they hadn't seen each other in years, which it did feel like. Adam couldn't stop himself from crying.

"Hey buddy, happy birthday."

"Where have you been dad? I haven't seen you in AGES."

"Ha ha, I know Kev. It's just... you know how when you do something bad, like draw on the walls, we put you n your room, away from everyone else?"

"Yeah."

"Well daddy did something bad."

"Oh."

It was clear Kevin didn't fully understand but he accepted his father's reasoning and ran off to join his friends.

"He's been asking about you." Kay spoke up quietly. "He keeps asking where's daddy, when's daddy coming back, why won't daddy talk to me anymore?"

"Sorry I haven't called, I thought you would need the space."

"It's not that it's just, whenever he talks about you I keep remembering why you're not there and it's too much for me, it's so hard for me to keep calm with him, love him but there's times when I just want to scream in his face."

"Hey, we'll talk later, right now it's our son's birthday, let's celebrate."

Kay let Adam inside to join the rest of the party, it was mostly children with their parents, a couple of family friends as well. Well ex-friends now to Adam, he noticed pretty early on when he found a quiet corner of the house that nobody ever came to talk to him, nobody checked in to see how he was doing. They all knew what he did and hated him because of it, he didn't blame them but he hated himself enough that he didn't need anymore.

After a while of being alone in a crowded room Adam had enough, he took a drink from the ice-box and went outside, finding the steps down the cliff to the beach he made his way to the ocean and sat down on the edge, getting as close as he could to the water but keeping himself dry. He missed this view, the calm blue, the bright sun, the odd cloud on the smooth landscape, the sheer tranquillity of this place, after spending a good portion of his life in paradise, the rest of the world paled in comparison.

A noise behind him caused Adam to turn round, he saw Kanani standing there.

"I saw you come down, just came to tell you that we're moving to Ray's to open the presents."

"Right, thanks, I'll just finish this drink and come join you."

Kanani stood for a moment, trying to decide what to do next, to Adam's, and her, surprise, she stepped forward and sat down next to him. The tension between the couple was thick and it was clear they wanted to talk but they didn't want to start an argument.

"Does it hurt? Your eye?" Kay asked the first thing she could think of to break the silence.

"Not really, it get itchy at times but I have cream for that."

"Right, you know I am sorry right, my dad had no right to do that to you."

"Kay it's fine, he was just angry over what I did, can't say I blame him."