Something about Elle Ch. 02

Story Info
Elle and Donovan indulge in light intimacy.
6.7k words
4.74
5.4k
6
0

Part 2 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 07/19/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Every day Donovan became more aware of the impact of Elle, which was the very reason he hired her, an action that had surprised even him for its high-risk and probably by some people its apparent absurdity.

She'd not been engaged as a forward planner, just as a sheer visionary with no responsibilities other than to transcribe her thoughts into electronic reports.

What had amazed him was his mother taking to Elle so instantly.

His mother was conservative and tentative about making new friends. He'd almost fallen out of his chair when Hannah announced that Elle had accepted an invitation to live with her.

"Why?"

"Because I invited her so nicely and so persuasively."

"Yes, but why?"

"There's something about Elle."

"Yes I know that and that's why she's here. But mom you two are a generation apart."

"Are you attempting to compete for her, trying to keep her in your apartment?"

"I hadn't thought about it in that way, but it's not such a bad idea. Thanks mom."

"Too late, she'd committed to me for at least a month; we've agreed to a trial."

"This is most unlike you."

"Well if you must know I sensed making the offer was the right thing to do."

"What about um you know who?"

"We always go to the hotel. She'll never meet him unless I decide otherwise."

"She will when you slope off for your twice-weekly cuddle?"

"I'll just say I sleep over at a friend's place occasionally."

"Twice a week is not occasionally and don't let her see your eyes when you're being evasive with her. My impression is she reads people as easy as you and I read a magazine. "

"Mom when I first met Elle in New Zealand she mentioned the book 'The Ugly American.' I asked did she think that I looked like Marlon Brando. Well I figure that immediately told her I had seen the film but hadn't read the book but she made no comment nor showed any sign of a mental rebuke, but I sensed it.

"What was her answer?"

"Oh I can't remember."

"Donovan!"

"That I don't look like Marlon Brando because I'm good looking."

His mom had then floored him.

"Ohmigod she is attracted to you."

"Ease off mom. She tenses as I go to touch her."

"So you two haven't...?"

"No mom. I'm pleased she'll be living with you, knowing she'll be safe in a country foreign to her. She'll probably end up helping you find a decent lover."

"Donovan!"

"What?" he grinned.

Time-wasting at his desk, Donovan thought Elle would be stunning in bed. She had a beach babe figure, which reminded him, he must organize a lunch for Elle and his mom and invite Kate and Annie to join them. They would be rather impressed. On the other hand, perhaps not; his sisters would immediately turn into devilish matchmakers and both were male-mad and all they talked about was music, shopping, dating and partying.

"Hello are you free?"

It was Miss Stunning herself, at his doorway.

"Yes of course. How nice to see you. I was just thinking I must arrange lunch with you and mom one weekend and invite my two younger sisters to join us."

Donovan raised an eyebrow, wondering why that announcement had slipped out.

"That would be lovely. Hannah phones them every evening but says she rarely sees them."

"I didn't know she did that."

"She is a mother."

"Of course."

"Do you use that phrase often?"

"What phrase?"

"That exclamation, of course."

"Possibly."

"Is that being evasive?"

Donovan looked uncomfortable.

"Am I under interrogation for a reason?"

"Oh Donovan I'm sorry and no of course not. There - you see. I use that phrase often, especially when I'm musing."

"Musing? I'm always too busy to muse."

"Isn't that what you were doing when I arrived?"

"I also lie."

They laughed.

He mused, looking at her face. It lit so beautifully when she laughed.

He switched into business mode and asked how she was progressing with settling in.

"I feel integrated, fairly knowledgeable about goals, personnel, methods and outcomes. I'm ready to go to work."

Donovan looked at his watch.

"I'll meet you at the elevators in five minutes. I'll need to make a call and brief Pamela. We'll lunch at the beach and then visit a client who'll I brief you about over a sandwich."

In the elevator he asked: "Right Miss Very Switched On; what make and model of vehicle do I have?"

Elle studied him for ten seconds.

"You are a little confusing. You appear middle of the road but often with conservative or flamboyant streaks and sometimes with a touch of impulsiveness. I think with a vehicle the flamboyant streak and the Californian weather prevails so I'm picking non-American, sports vehicle and therefore suggest you drive a Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet."

"I wish," he grinned. "Well done by the way."

They went by elevator and smiling toothily they headed to Donovan's silver Porsche Boxster.

"Nice car," Elle said, neither of them mentioning her uncanny near-accurate guess.

'The Beach' meant any number of beaches and Elle had already dined and lunched at the past weekend at Santa Monica and Venice and also visited del Ray and Manhattan beach communities.

They were all lovely experiences and Elle understood why 'The Beach' was spoken so reverently; the beaches compensated for the starkness about much of Los Angeles itself and the outer environs were richly endowed by nature, expect for color. The reds, browns and grayish blues of distant hills were attractive in their own way, starkly of course.

They lunched at Long Beach under the almost inevitable blue skies. In Kiwi parlance she'd call the restaurant 'homely' and likewise the food. Tasty, wholesome if she chose well - but it was only lunch. There were thousands on restaurants in Los Angeles County and memorable ones would be there. Hannah had taken her to a Japanese one near their apartment and that had been memorable.

Donovan sipped his beer and sighed.

"This is the life, a good beer, a good environment and a good woman at your side."

Elle chose this as the moment to strike.

"Do you have many good women?"

She'd emphasized the word 'have' to avoid misinterpretation.

"I tend to go in bursts, peeling off when (looking at her mischievously) I hear the ring of wedding bells when they are musing."

She held his stare, rock solid.

"How interesting that must be for you. Obviously there's something you generate that compels them to react that way."

"I more than adequately attend to their needs, if that's what you mean, but I'm not being arrogant about that."

"Aren't you or does that suggest you're something of a stud?"

"Is this a suitable lunchtime conversation?"

"I'm fine with it. The thought of a man and his penis doesn't put me off my food."

"Elle!"

She knew what he was about as the restaurant was rather crowded and couples at tables on both side of them had suddenly gone quiet.

"Do you know any of these people Donovan?"

"I don't think so."

"Would it matter if you did?"

"No I don't think so but you are unnerving me a little."

"Discussing matters of a carnal nature ought not to unnerve an adult," Elle continued, aware that people up to two tables away had fallen silent.

"Could we discuss business?"

"In a minute. Do you ever spare a thought to the wretchedness those discarded women must feel, having believed a wedding was almost in their grasp."

"Not really, it's a relief to escape the noose."

"You don't mean that, do you?"

"Back off Elle. You know I said that because it's what I thought you'd be thinking."

"You confuse me. Are you suggesting we have sex?"

People around them tittered.

Donovan leaned right forward and whispered, "For God's sake Elle, keep your voice down."

"Well let's talk business."

"Pardon me," said one of two elderly women at the next table. "Couldn't you continue that debate? It's so rare to eavesdrop on intelligent conversation in restaurants these days. Almost everyone seems only to want to talk about themselves."

"You're quite right, it was a fascinating conversation," drawled an incredibly thin woman in a bikini, wearing a large sunhat and hiding behind sunglasses almost the size of CDs. "One rarely hears the female point of view being put so powerfully these days outside of quarrelling."

"I'm advising that we are now entering routine conversation," Elle smiled. "Over and out."

On the way to the shopping strip she turned to her suffering companion. "I wish to apologize; I had no right intruding into your private life."

"It's fine but thanks for the apology. I can't wait to tear into you about your loves and losses - in private."

They exchanged glanced and Donovan told her about the client.

"I'm doing this one as a personal favor and it will be entirely billed at cost. He's Ruben Klein and I went through high school with him just as mom and his mom also went through high school together and they remain great friends. I've pumped some money into the business and need it to succeed if I'm to get it back."

"That's a good incentive."

"It must be boring being right on the button all the time."

"Nope I'm used to it but I'm not infallible."

"I was beginning to think you were."

"Aren't we on a business mission? You could have spent your time briefing me over lunch instead of going on about sex."

"Me?"

"Watch out for that old driver ahead of us; he'll brake late and turn."

"No he's going too fast to...Jesus! What an idiot. How the hell did you know that?"

"I didn't really know, but his head was swinging about so much and he looked to be panicking as if he believed he'd missed his turn-off. Had I been driving I would have eased off, just in case, but we didn't burn off all that much rubber."

"Do you wish to drive!"

"No you're doing fine. I really feel quite safe. What kind of business is it?"

"He's a silversmith with three sales clerks and office lady - his mother. He imports his entire product but does repairs and resizing work plus valuations."

"Has it been a sudden decline?"

"No it's occurred insidiously or perhaps I mean incrementally."

"That's a clue."

"What is?"

"That doesn't matter just now. Let's gain more impressions."

"There it is on the left, Silver Thread."

"I see it - drive up and down a couple of times. The name may as well stay; it's harmless and regulars sticking with him won't welcome a name change."

"We always consider that."

They parked and entered the store.

"Ruben meet my new associate Elle Jamieson. She talks funny because she's from New Zealand."

"I'm pleased to meet you Elle. My you are pretty and come from a beautiful country - our international conference was there three or four years ago. A place called Christchurch - know it?"

"It's my hometown. Ruben is you mother in; I'd like a word."

"Freda - shop!" he called.

"You call your mom by her first name?"

"Yes but only here at work. Everyone knows her as Freda."

"Then why is she dumped out at the back?"

"Excuse me?"

"Never mind, we'll discuss that later."

"Good afternoon Elle, I'm so glad to meet you."

"Freda you know Elle?"

"She knows your mother Donovan. I will have been described down to my shoe size."

The plump woman kissed Elle on the cheek.

"Oh heavenly soft. What a beautiful woman you are. Don't let this one get away Donovan, and how are you? And where's my kiss?"

Donovan chose the kiss ahead of answering the first question - and got away with it.

"Mrs Klein..."

"Freda please."

"Freda, what's wrong with this business?"

"Elle," Donovan said patiently, "We don't ask client's leading questions, at least not in the early days."

"It's okay to ask me Elle. I'm the one that knows about the business."

"Excellent and what's wrong with this business Freda?"

"Our old clients are moving away or have come deceased and we're not attracting younger replacements."

"Is that all?"

"Our display cabinets are old fashion and our people including my son don't interface with clients like in the old days."

Ruben sighed and said, "I became tired of chatter, I prefer my focus to be on my craftsmanship."

"Then you shouldn't be dominating in front-of-house," said his mother.

"And that point is worth considering. Well that's all I need unless coffee is on offer."

"Of course dear, come with me to my den."

"Wait up Elle. We haven't heard Ruben's views and examined the figures and we'll need to chart trends."

"You do what you think is necessary Donovan. You've already told me that turnover is in decline - slow decline. And I've seen what I need to see."

Donovan continued on patiently.

"Clients expect to see real effort put into problem appraisal and problem solving."

"Ordinarily I'd agree with that but in this case there appear to be but two fundamental problems. Perhaps you will find more. I've been hired to extrapolate thoughts on what I see, feel and hear and I've done that. I'm ready to write my report."

"You're finished?" Donovan gaped.

"Yes."

"Well report verbally now," Ruben said.

"Yes," said Donovan while Freda urged them to come through to the back for coffee and privacy.

Holding her coffee and watched by a worried boss, an apprehensive client and his relaxed and smiling mother, Elle said: "Times have changed and so must this business if it is to survive. It's dusty and tired and stock is solid but not particularly inspirational."

"I'm aware that in the main these days grannies who buy silver no longer wear granny prints and carry sticks; they think younger and the fitter ones even wear jeans with high heels just like their daughters and grand-daughters. So the business needs modernizing, the repairs need to be shifted to the back and people with interfacing skills need to be right at the front greeting customers and ensuring they enjoy popping in."

"Modernizing will include staff training. That's the easy part to digest. The hard part comes in accepting the business must be relocated."

"What?" Ruben cried.

"My husband and his father before him occupied this site as silversmiths,"

Freda sniffed while Donovan slumped forward hand over his eyes.

"What kind of car do you drive Ruben?"

"A VW Passat if it is of any relevance Elle."

"Why are you driving a car conceived in Germany and made in Chicago..."

"The car was made in Chattanooga actually."

"Ah and the vehicles of your father and his father before him drove were American conceived and manufactured probably in Detroit?"

"Yes and what's wrong... ah. I see."

"What do you see baby?" asked his mom.

"History and the times and tastes of some people have changed."

"Freda where your lovely handbag made?"

"America of course and it's leather."

"Look inside at the label mom," Ruben sighed.

"There, I told you, Amer...it says Brazil. But I bought it at the biggest department store in the mall where I shop."

"Yes where the clothes are designed in America and made in China, no doubt."

"Well some of them."

"And more and more of them mom. I think you've made that point Elle."

"Ruben as soon as we drove into this shopping strip I saw all the signs of an ailing, once vibrant shopping street - a couple of vacant stores, several selling second-hand goods. It's obvious that your store has outlived its usefulness in this neighborhood. You need to relocate where you can change to generally meet the needs and preferences of people who shop there. We have two specialists in our company who'll help you design a brief for business brokers to negotiate the lease of your new site with you and to sell these premises."

"I'm sorry to load you with an even bigger problem than what you called us in to solve, but if you have the courage to bite the bullet go for goal like an energy-charged retail athlete and your future problems should be little ones."

"Gee Donovan, where did you find Elle? She's knowledgeable, goes to the heart of things and in this case has suggested solutions and seems to have uncanny um vision I guess. Tell me Elle, have you been visualizing mom and me operating successfully in a mall?"

Elle blushed, nodded and looked away.

"There Donovan, I've hit the nail on the head." Ruben said triumphantly.

"Well that's it," Elle said still looking embarrassed.

His mom said, "The choice is ours Ruben, either we go for it or we stay and wait for the business to go under."

Ruben said, "I-I don't know what to say."

"I do," Freda said. "Elle thank you for picturing our fate here so well; we knew it was happening but didn't want to face up to it. We were hoping for some sort of miracle from you guys. Incidentally Donovan, you appear rather pleased with Elle now."

"That's very true, Freda and I admit to failing to primarily think to look at the big picture. In my opinion Elle has presented a very sound analysis and had the guts to give it to you straight."

Eyes overly moist, Ruben thanked Elle and Donovan.

"Take your time Ruben, but let go soon. It will be like kicking your family tradition in the butt, I understand that."

"In principle, where do you think we should go?"

Elle rolled her eyes.

"Oh Christ, don't ask Ruben, at least not today. One blow a day is enough for anyone."

"Where Elle/" he said, his voice firming.

Elle looked pleadingly at Freda but she was stony-faced, waiting.

"Guys I'm sorry but it's the perfect fit and you'll hate me for saying this: A mall."

Ruben slapped his hands on his thighs, and then wiped both eyes.

"Is there an option?" Freda asked.

"Yes when moving about I've seen robust strips that could suit you well.

"But when coming here I spotted a mall quite close by. Those customers of yours who've come to you for years and their offspring will have the option of following you. Diamonds, gold, silver and fine china stockists attract a particularly loyal class of clientele, don't they?"

"It's hard to imagine you've only been in California two weeks Elle and know so much for one so young," Freda said. "But Hannah told me you are an amazing person. As soon as you've gone I'll be urging Ruben to visit mall management to enquire about space for a silversmith and jewelers that's about to modernize."

On the drive back to the office Donovan apologized for jumping in too early on Elle's assessment.

"Hopefully I would have spotted the neighborhood decline factor but I was blind to it today."

"That's fine and to your credit you allowed me to gallop onwards. By the way, nice car."

"Do you wish to drive?"

"No thanks."

"Dinner with me tonight?"

"Oh that would be lovely. Hannah is going to a club dinner."

"Dinner with me tonight as a date?"

Elle draped her hand on to his thigh.

"Could you survive a date without sex?"

"With difficulty yes."

"A very honest answer. I'll try very hard to remain loyal to my fiancé."

"It sounds like a difficult dinner date coming up."

Elle removed her hand and patted his shoulder.

"Don't be too disappointed. If I weren't engaged I could easily ravish you."

The powerful sports car lunged forward under heavy acceleration, fortunately well clear of traffic in their lane.

"Whoops I slipped up on self-control there," Donovan grinned. "I've had a most interesting day, being the boss yet not being allowed to act like the boss."

"I'm sorry - you picked me for my mind, not for being a wimp."

"I could have picked you for these," Donovan said, trailing a hand over her right breast, He withdrew it hastily to just escape the hand being lightly whacked - a piece of nonsense leaving them both smiling broadly.

"You watch your driving, naughty boy."

* * *

Back in their office building - they occupied the third, fourth and fifth floors - Elle led Donovan in to the elevator, he hanging back a bit, musing, what a killer ass. She'd dismayed, almost angered and yet totally impressed him today. There was little chance of getting bored with Elle around.

12