Something We Have to Talk About Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RealDoc
RealDoc
404 Followers

Jonathan cleared his throat and looked at his loving grandfather. "you know how hard that is going to be for me, don't you?"

"Yes" he replied. "that's why it's important because your emotions will give you bad advice at the wrong time, just as Susan's has given her terrible devastating advice that she acted out on".

Mom chimed in, "my turn now. Jonathan, do you know all about your personal finances. You have never asked me for help, you know. Is she draining you financially? If she cheats like you say she has, she is capable of cheating you financially. Mind you, I'm not saying she has, but people who cheat in one part of their lives frequently cheat in other parts."

"To tell you the truth, mom, Susan handles all the checking and paying bills and I don't even look at stuff like that. I have always trusted her implicitly...up to now."

Mom continues "Jonathan, today you must go to the bank, this very afternoon, and take care of business. Don't worry about hurting Susan's feelings on this. Just do it. You don't have to tell her yet, but protect yourself financially. I'm going to write out everything you need to do. But first, get on that horn again and call your bank and talk to the branch manager to meet with you this afternoon and don't take 'I can see you tomorrow' from him or her". Mom got a paper and pen and started to write out a list of things for Jonathan as he got up to go to the phone yet again. Her accounting background came into useful play for Jonathan.

"Granddad, where is your phone book," Jonathan inquired. The phone book was produced from a small stand under the phone. Jonathan looked up his branch bank and spoke to the manager. He got an appointment for early that afternoon.

Jonathan returned to the table to pick up the paper Mom had written on. He and his mother went over each item in detail. Granddad listened intently, smiling as he and his 'daughter' began to find ways to help his beloved grandson. Jonathan now had a clear idea of what he had to do at the bank, everything from 401k's to credit cards to automatic with-drawls to getting copies of everything for his mom to review.

Jonathan began to feel better and more in control.

A wave of heavy emotion came over Jonathan. He slumped in his chair again holding his head in both hands. "I feel so alone, even with you all here", he sighed.

"I cant believe that my life partner is suddenly my opponent, I love her and want her back. I'll do anything except be cut out of her private life and be a cuckolded wimp husband. Those I cannot be". Jonathan hit his right hand fisted into his left hand with a loud pop. Then he did it again. He grimaced as grandad reminded him. "Jonathan, when your old like me, you will be glad you controlled your temper at a really hard time like this. Remember you are made of good stuff. Make your dad proud of you. Be a man and bide your time. Timing is everything. In this kind of situation, hear me my son, timing is everything."

Granddad continued," Now I think we have covered just about everything that needs to be covered for the day" He stood and moved away from the table and took his daughter in law's hand and reached for Jonathan's as Jonathan stood up, pushing his chair carefully back. Standing in a circle, Grandad said. We always ended a family time together with a prayer, this is no time to make exceptions. We all need wisdom and discernment and patience. We all love Susan. We hate what she has done but she is 'grafted in' family. We cannot abandon our love and concern for her, our precious children and this sturdy family" With that he prayed. Then he said, "I have phone calls to make, arrangements to make, friends to talk to and business to attend to".

Granddad called his daughter to meet privately with him on the back porch. Jonathan was invited to wait for his mom in his truck. Mom soon came out of the house and Jonathan helped her up into his big truck once again.

Back in his trustworthy Ford diesel, Jonathan felt some relief. His mother sat quietly, looking straight ahead, a concerned yet placid look on her face. Jonathan glanced at her and thought she had changed little over the years. The hardest and deepest lines on her face had appeared when her soul mate, Jonathan's father, had died unexpectedly a few years ago. She looked over at Jonathan as they dismounted the big truck and headed into her house. "Jonathan, remember your granddad's advice. Be civil. Control your well earned anger. Play it close to your chest. Don't discuss anything with anyone except us and your lawyer. Don't even tell your banker why you want to do what your going to do. It's no concern of his and rumors need not be floating around the community. And remember, timing is everything. This to shall pass and we shall emerge on the other side with our personal integrity intact and a sure future as a family. Do not be discouraged. Be strong and silent. Be the man your dad and I grew you up to be" With that she disappeared in side her house.

Jonathan was hungry, a good juicy hamburger...no two of them went down easily as he sat in his truck pondering his life's turn of events.

Entering the bank, he withdrew the paper full of notes and memos he and his mother had prepared for this meeting with the branch manager. Sitting across the small mahogany desk, Jonathan began.

"I want to close my joint account and reopen another under my name only. Please get your assistant to prepare the papers now. This must be accomplished this afternoon." The banker smiled and asked why he would want to do this. Jonathan returned his smile. "it really is none of your business why, is it?" "

I was just wondering" replied the banker. He motioned for his assistant to come in.

Jonathan smiled a stiff smile and suggested the assistant get on with the paper work.

Chapter Three

"Next, I want our joint saving s account split 50/50. Get the paper work started for that. Make separate accounts for me only and put the half in it". He sat quietly as the banker spoke with an assistant.

"Next, I want all automatic withdrawals to be stopped as of today." "Notify the mortgage company for me, along with the credit card companies . I know this may take a few minutes of your time but I am depending on you to do this for me. I will pay you well for your time. Just get it done ASAP and I will sign the paper work immediately. You must recognize and act as I consider these things to be of an urgent nature." He consulted his mom's notes again.

"Next, I want you to get copies of my bank statements and checks and have these for me not later than Monday. This is Friday so I know it will take time but I must have these not later that Monday afternoon, I'm counting on your to do this. I don't want excuses, just get it done. I will pay you what ever the cost is and will be forever grateful".

The banker stared at Jonathan, "This is going to take time Mr. Richards,"

"Then you better get with it as time is everything is it not? Let's not waste it as we sit here".

Jonathan asked to use the telephone. Digging into his wallet he retrieved his credit cards and called to cancel both of them. The American Express said he would receive a new card on a new account by Monday by overnight express. The other credit card would take up to two weeks. Jonathan was glad to have paid the fee to American Express to have such rapid service.

Jonathan rose to leave just as the assistant gave him a stack of papers to sign and a new temporary check book. These were quickly signed, she explained to Jonathan what each meant, but Jonathans mind was somewhere else. He was thinking of his wife and where she might be and what she might be up to and with whom. The final paper was power of attorney for the branch manager to act on his behalf in handling the 401k.

Looking at his watch, he noted that he must get to the lawyers office without delay.

Again his trustworthy Ford diesel rumbled to life. How he loved the feeling of raw power and the deep rumble. He was glad he had put performance mufflers on the truck years ago.

Chapter Three

In the lawyers office he was ushered into a small conference room, very nicely appointed in conservative woods and plush carpet, the coffee pot steamed and invited him to partake. He decided to await for an invitation but his nose told him the coffee was fresh and high quality. The receptionist departed with a friendly wiggle of her but and a smile, stating the Mrs. Sherrie Pincher, with whom he had this appointment would be in shortly.

As she entered, Jonathan scrutinized her rapidly. medium height, almost his mothers age, graying hair, at least C sized busts, not an ounce over weight and conservatively dressed in a deep gray business suit and light blue blouse with a white lacy collar. She appeared to be all business. Her smile and her warm firm handshake gave him confidence.

She started. "Well Mr. Richards, would you like to have some coffee?"

Jonathan moved to the coffee pot, pouring a cup and offering her the first cup which she took. Jonathan took the second Styrofoam cup full and stirred a little sugar in it. She took hers black.

"Have a seat please and may I call you Jonathan?"

He sat and stirred his coffee and took a sip then replied "yes of course, and how should I address you , counselor?"

She sat opposite him with a yellow note pad and cell phone on the table.

"You may call me anything, Jonathan, but I prefer to be called Sherrie".

"Sherrie it is then. I want to tell you why I'm here and let you help me figure out how to get myself out of a mess my wife has me in...or at least to tell me what the law says and what my options are."

"Jonathan", she spoke softly, "your family and my family go back several generations. Your grandad has just told me quite a lot but I want to hear it straight from you to. That comes in a minute. First, be assured whatever you tell me is confidential and will never be discussed with anyone else. She emphasized the "anyone". That includes all your family including your wife. Second, I keep no secrets from you. Anything anyone tells me about your situation, I will relay to you. Communication between the whole world and me concerning you is absolutely one way. I listen, I tell you. I tell them I must tell you and if they don't agree then they don't tell me and I tell you that. Nothing goes outside this room that concerns your situation. Is this clear?"

Jonathan nodded agreement.

"OK Jonathan, let me tell you I handle a lot of divorces, separations and negotiations surrounding these unfortunate events. Divorce is a lose-lose situation. My clients always lose less than the other party. Now tell me in your own words anything you want to."

"Sherrie, I want you to know I love my wife. I always have. I think I always will. More than anything I believe. We are both strong willed people but up until yesterday, 'a day that will go down in infamy' we had always worked out our differences. We have three precious grade school age children. They are at my wife's parents house and are safe and happy. I am on good terms with my wife's parents. I want my family back. More than anything I want my family back home with my wife as my 100% full time, exclusive lover and our precious children's mother. I want my children protected and to grow up happy with two loving parents who love and respect each other. Meaning Susan and me. At this point I just can vision how that is going to happen. "

Sherrie sat quietly taking notes.

"I want to tell you everything I can about the last 24 hours. Believe me, I had no clue as to any problems before yesterday. Those clues may have been there but I didn't' see them. Maybe I should have been more careful to look for signs of infidelity but I couldn't imagine her doing what she ways she has done or is doing. I don't think she has a clue as to the devastating effects this has had on me and how my mom and granddad are suffering also. It is destroying my once happy marriage and our wonderful home and family. I am filled with anger, emptiness and grief".

With that, Jonathan told his lawyer everything, starting with Susan's announcement, the fight, his drunken night, her leaving him again, his recovery, his meeting with his parents, their advice and his meeting with his banker. He clenched his powerful hands in despair as he told his lawyer about Susan's taunting him and advising him of his "legal rights". He stammered, his strong voice quivering as he looked at this stalwart of the law, the agent of the court system.

Jonathan concluded "Sherrie, I need your advice, I need your help. God knows I need anything anyone can help me with. Be assured of several things, I will not physically harm Susan, I was capable of that last night but not any more. She is my love, she is home to me. He emphasized 'home'. My marriage, my family, my manhood, my home all are under attack. Next I will not in anyway be happy about my wife's new happiness. In fact I cannot tolerate it. I will not be a cuckolded husband." He sank back into his plush leather chair, feeling nervous and defeated.

Sherrie was busy making notes.

She looked at Jonathan in his slumped condition. She saw the despair in his eyes and demeanor. She had been this route before, just not with a wife who was proud of her infidelity.

"Jonathan", she started in a hopeful tone "first, do not do anything to harm your wife or her lover. To do this would hurt your ultimate cause possibly beyond emotional or legal repair. We do not have enough information upon which to professionally advise you yet. We need a lot more information about her lover and their activities. Since she will not tell you, we have to get this legally but in another way. I work closely with a reputable private investigator. Please give me permission to contact him now. Is that ok with you?"

"Yes, how much are we talking about, money wise that is?"

Sherrie replied. "It really wont break your bank account. Be assured of that. But timing is everything and right now, time is of the essence before anything else goes wrong."

Jonathan thought to himself, why is it that I keep hearing everyone tell me that 'timing is everything'. How could anything go more wrong? He knew about deadlines and schedules but this thing of timing was different.

He asked Sherrie "I keep hearing that timing is everything, what the hell is that all about?"

Sherrie was on the phone talking to someone and she motioned for Jonathan to be quiet. Sherrie had stood up and turned her back on Jonathan with one hand over her left ear and the phone jammed into the other. Finally she turned around, clicked the phone off and sat down again.

"I'm sorry Jonathan, the battery is weak and I was having a hard time hearing. He was having a hard time hearing also. I was speaking to my PI. His name is George Town. No not Georgetown in Virginia. Turns out he cannot take my case with you."

She smiled broadly, "Seems your grandad and his father are very close friends and, in fact, your grandad paid for George's college education. Your grandad would not accept repayment, saying the money was a gift, not a loan. Seems that George boy has a special interest in helping you as a result. He wont be working for me, but will be working with me. Again, everything he finds will be shared with me and with you 100% and with no one else, including your family. He is very good and knows how to get all sorts of information and it be all done legally."

Sherrie continued "If at all possible, I want you to get Susan's confession, that is her statement of last night, and your disagreement with her activities on tape. Get her to repeat it on tape This can be done legally without her knowledge. You have to record it in your home, with you participating and her giving the information under no duress or threat. That is, it must be done freely. What you record in your own domicile can be admitted in court. The recording must have dates and times on it. I suggest you talk to George about this. He is an expert in these areas of information gathering. Here is his card. There were various phone numbers on it. He is expecting to speak with you directly this evening. Next, Jonathan, much of what Susan said about divorce, is indeed true. If you divorce she is going to get primary custody of the children unless we can show evidence of child abuse or endangerment. Adultery by a wife does not make her lose primary legal control of her children. You will not lose everything financially, only what has been earned since you got married. Inheritances and any business you may have a financial interest in is yours to keep. Everything else, after taxes and loan repayment, is cut in some proportion. Usually the wife gets 50 or 60 percent and you must pay child support and likely alimony until she remarries.

Now there is interesting twist to all this that I'll just mention, if Susan is getting legal advice from her lover, and her lover is acting both as her legal counsel and lover, we may be able to get him disbarred from law practice. If that is going on it is very unethical and the Bar looks with intense disfavor on a lawyer being sexually and romantically involved with a client. Another consideration is that if you divorce because of an adultress relationship between Susan and him, you might be able to sue him for lose of companionship etc.. this gets complicated and we shouldn't get into that now"

Jonathan listened, but he was thinking about where his wife was and what she was doing in her secret happiness.

"Sherrie", Jonathan spoke with a tired voice, "it has been a long difficult day for me. Thank you for your time and expert professional advice. You have all my personal information on the forms the receptionist had me fill out. Do I call you or do you call me and when?"

"Jonathan," she spoke with a kind but firm tone in her most professional yet reassuring voice, " let me remind you, in parting. Do not get involved in hunting this bastard down. Just don't go that route. Let George do it for you. He is the expert. Let me handle the legal stuff. I will start divorce papers immediately including settlement figures, but we won't serve them or let them out of my office. It is much better to be over prepared in a timely fashion, which leads me back to your question which I never answered. When we say 'timing is everything' well it really isn't' everything, just very important. Events in the political, business world and the world of interpersonal communications need to be carefully orchestrated so that the timing of events is in the proper sequence with the proper amount of time in between the individual events so that reactions can be judged and subsequent alternatives, if needed, are implemented. Getting one thing before another can prove disastrous. For you in your situation, it is critical that we control the events not Susan and her lover. Right now you are behind but with all your family's good advice, my counsel and George's information, we will soon be caught up and perhaps even far ahead of them. That will put you back in reasonable control so that the anticipated outcome will be more to your liking. Many unknowns are yet to be uncovered. We can expect the unexpected but you have had great family advice. Your grandfather, your deceased father and your mother didn't get the highest reputations in this community by acting out their emotions or avoiding sound advice. I strongly urge you to follow in their very large footprints. I will call you as soon as I have any further information and by Tuesday at the latest. I wish you well and promise to stand with you."

Chapter Four

With that the encounter ended. The office was already closed so Sherrie let him out and locked up behind him.

Jonathan drove slowly home, trying to sort out the happenings of the day.

RealDoc
RealDoc
404 Followers