Sometimes Love is Not Enough

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

* * * * *

We spent a week at the cabin and then left for the new job site. My first order to Maggie was for her to find us a good marriage counselor. The counselor saw us twice a week for two months. We didn't make any progress and he recommended a psychiatrist who specialized in marital problems.

She saw us, one-on-one, twice a week for four months. She tried everything she could think of to help us. She even tried hypnotic therapy. I was evidently one of those that couldn't be hypnotized. After several attempts, she concluded that the only way I could be put under was with a large hammer. Then she had me try Viagra. That only increased my frustration. Hell, I'd get hard just watching the news but when we started to have sex, I would go soft, in spite of the wonder of the wonder drug.

At least it wasn't a complete waste of money. She spent a lot of time with Janice talking about the issues she had with her mother and stepfather. I finally gave up and quit going. Janice continued, with my blessing, to see the good doctor for three additional months. Her outlook on life, and people in general, changed. She got the help she needed to move on in her life and not see others as objects to mistrust and take advantage of.

We stayed together and the job was finally finished. Her sister had went back to her husband and had closed the house up. Janice and I spent several days getting the house and yard back into decent shape. Adam and Abby stopped by and invited us to the usual Friday evening get-to-gather.

She went to the bank to see about going back to work. The President had moved to another state and was no longer working there. Somehow, the chairman had found out about the President's shenanigans and fired him. The hard drive of the computer where the pictures were stored was destroyed and the cameras were removed from the hotel suite. The chairman of the board spent an hour with her and when she left his office, she had her old job back.

Chapter 15

It was a little tense at the Friday evening get-to-gather but things started to loosen up when Adam and I had several choice things to say about each other's fishing abilities. Brent even managed to inject a couple of decent thoughts into the argument. We would make a fisherman out of him yet.

We left early and walked home holding hands. I mixed two drinks and we sat at the kitchen table, each of us lost in our own thoughts.

Janice finally took a deep breath and quietly said, "Jim, you have no idea how hard it is for me to say this but we have to let each other go. Your willingness to try to make things right between us has just made me love you all that much more. You deserve a life with someone you have complete trust in. No! Don't say anything. Please let me finish.

"I know we agreed to not talk about past relationships when we got married. I thought that was a good thing, a lucky break for me. The most you could confess to would be a few relationships with girlfriends. I, on the other hand, had been giving potential investors very personal inducements to invest with the bank. To put it bluntly, I sold my body for the benefit of the bank, and received some very nice bonus checks for my services.

"By the time we thought about telling each other about past relationships, I was deeply in love with you. I didn't tell you because I was afraid you would break off our engagement if you were to learn the truth about me. I should have had more faith in you. I realize now that not telling you was a mistake. If I had told you when I should have, the President of the bank would have been unable to manipulate me.

"It's time for both of us to move on. Please, Jim, find someone special, fall in love with her and have a loving, wonderful life."

She lowered her head and sat there, crying softly. I didn't know what to say. There was no doubt of our love for each other but sometimes love is not enough. We needed the physical intimacy but my aversion to having sex with her would probably never go away. It was time for us to move on. Hopefully, she would find someone she could love and be loved by too.

She went to bed and I sat there thinking about her little speech. She was right. There was no use in us continuing to torture ourselves. Love without the physical intimacy of a healthy sex life was a ridiculous situation to remain in. Luckily there were no children to consider. There was no financial reason to stay together either.

So why were we trying so hard? Maybe it was just me that was trying so hard. Maybe she was just trying for my sake, unwilling to quit as long as I was willing to try.

I went to the spare bedroom to sleep. There wasn't any reason to prolong the inevitable. If we were going to go our separate ways, now was as good of a time to start as any. The reason to sleep together no longer existed. At least we were parting as friends.

The next morning at breakfast, she didn't question my decision to sleep in the spare bedroom. She insisted I stay at the house until I left for the new project in a couple of weeks. Staying here in a large house instead of the small confines of the camper made it easy to agree with her.

The new arrangement was easy to get used to. We didn't try to avoid one another but we didn't pretend to be intimate either. We would discuss what happened at work during supper and sometimes watch a little TV together. It was almost like being brother and sister.

Friday evening rolled around and she came into the living room where I was watching the six o'clock news and asked if I would like to go to a club with her.

"I don't think so." I mumbled. "Besides, I wouldn't want to scare anyone off that might ask you to dance."

"Oh, come on. Don't be such a stick in the mud. It'll do us both good to have a couple of drinks and let off a little steam."

"Okay, what's the dress code for this place you want to go to?"

"Dress shirt and sport coat, tie is optional."

"What? No pants? What kind of a place are we going to." I asked, chuckling.

"Oh, don't be silly. Now go change. Blue jeans are definitely a no-no." She laughed.

Chapter 16

The club was larger than it first appeared. There were about thirty booths and twice that many tables scattered around the parameter of the dance floor. The dance floor was probably seventy-five by one hundred feet and well polished. A five-piece band was setting up on the small elevated stage at the far end of the room.

The place was only about half full but filling up fast. It was my guess that this place was popular with the twenty-five to forty-year-old crowd. It was obvious that more than half of the patrons were married couples. They were the ones sitting in the well-lighted booths and at the tables closest to the dance floor. The couples sitting in the booths in the darker corners were probably married too, just not to each other. There seemed to be a good sprinkling of singles, male and female, scattered throughout the place as well.

We managed to capture a booth centrally located along the wall. The band was playing a fast number by the time our drinks arrived. I handed the waitress a fifty and told her to keep fresh drinks on the table. The next number was a slow one and Janice grabbed my hand and led me to the middle of the floor, telling me the first dance was for old times sake. I was somewhat taken aback. I had no idea what she meant by that remark.

The next number was another fast one so we returned to our booth. We hadn't any more than sat down when a neatly dressed guy came over and asked if it would be alright if he asked Janice to dance. At least he had good manners to go with his good looks. She looked questionably at me and I nodded okay. She killed her drink and headed to the floor with him.

She stayed on the floor with him for the next three fast numbers. I didn't pay too much attention to her and started checking out the single women. A slow number started so I finished my drink and asked a pretty girl standing next to the bar for a dance. She never hesitated, taking my hand and leading me to the floor. We danced the next two fast numbers as well.

Janice was sitting down at the booth just as I got there. She picked up her drink and killed it.

"Having fun?" I asked.

"Oh yes! Thanks for bri...."

She didn't get to finish. Mr. Nice Guy took her by the arm and off to the floor they went. I didn't object. I killed my drink and sat there contemplating which girl to dance with next. The waitress was sliding two fresh drinks on the table as I got up to ask another girl to dance.

That's the way it went for the next three hours. I left two more fifties on the table to insure good service and continued to see how many different girls I could dance with. Janice and I met at the table a half a dozen times and there were always fresh drinks waiting for us. I managed to dance with eight or ten different partners, some of them more than once. One good- looking little gal completely pasted herself to me during the slow numbers. The little guy who lives between my legs didn't fail to take notice. He stood up to check things out for himself.

The alcohol was starting to affect me and I decided to sit for a little bit. I looked around for Janice and finally saw her dancing a fast number with Mr. Nice Guy again. I know she danced with several guys but she seemed to be giving this guy more than his share of attention.

Something had happened to her skirt. It was a knee-length pleated full skirt when we left home but it only came halfway to her knees now. She must have rolled it up at the waist. She spun at that moment and I could plainly see the bare cheeks of her ass. What in the hell happened to her panties? She spun the other way and I could see a wisp of red between her legs. So, she was wearing her red thong, but why did she roll her skirt up? She shook her shoulders and I could see she had her red bra on too. Damn, she had the three top buttons of her blouse undone. What in the hell did she think she was doing, advertising herself that way?

Thankfully, the band started playing a slow number. I would certainly have a talk with her when she got back to the table. I gunned my drink down and another appeared as if by magic. There were over a dozen empty glasses on the table by now. You would think the help here would at least keep the tables cleaned off.

She didn't come back to the table. She just plastered herself to Mr. Asshole and stayed out there on the floor making a spectacle of herself. The son-of-a-bitch was squeezing her tits with one hand and his other hand was caressing the cheeks of her ass. She had her arms locked firmly around his neck. This was starting to piss me off. How in the hell could she behave this way? She came here with me, damn-it!

The next thing I knew, they were lip-locked. I could plainly see there was a lot of tongue action involved. Now I was really mad. I knew I had no right to be but I was. We decided a week ago that we were no longer a couple. We were supposed to be parting as friends and each of us would go our separate way. So what? At this point I really didn't give a shit about that. She was out there behaving like a slut and I wasn't about to put up with it.

The band played another slow number and they continued to stay out there in the middle of the floor swapping spit. It looked like he had managed to get his hand inside her blouse. By now I was about as mad as I can ever remember being. The longer they danced, if that's what they were doing, the madder I got.

Finally, the damn song ended. He headed off in the direction of the restroom and she just sashayed her little ass over to our booth, took a swig of her drink and then picked up her purse.

"If you don't mind, I'm going to another club with Roger." She slurred.

So, Roger was Mr. Nice Guy Asshole's name. What in the hell did she mean, 'If I didn't mind?' Of course I minded.

"Janice, you've had too much to drink." I slurred right back.

I ran my hand up under her dress and cupped her pussy. "My God! You're dripping wet!"

She finished her drink, looked squarely into my eyes and arrogantly said, "So? I'm horny! So what? And for your information, I've had just the right amount to drink. Besides, what's it to you anyway? It's not like we're married anymore. You're the one who insisted on the divorce, remember? You're to one who can't get it up any more. I'll bet Roger won't have that problem."

She turned on her heel and started walking unsteadily toward the door. Damn her! Damn her to hell! She had no right to say that. She had no right to talk to me that way. I slid out of the booth and caught up with her about half way to the door. I grabbed her hand and dragged her right on out the door.

"Jim! What in the hell do you think you're doing? Let go of me, damn-it! I'm supposed to meet Roger at the door."

Roger smodger would just have to fuck himself tonight. He damn sure wasn't going to be fucking what was mine. She tried to stop and jerk her hand away. That just made me madder. How dare she defy me!

She whacked me up aside the head with her purse.

"Ouch! That hurt!"

"Damn-it! I said to let me go! You don't own me anymore! Now turn me loose!"

"Shut-up, Janice!"

"Fuck you! Turn me loose, right now!"

She kicked me on the shin and managed to break my grip on her hand. I spun around, grabbed her around the waist and threw her over my shoulder. I carried her the rest of the way to the truck while she screamed, kicked and beat on my back with her fist. I opened the door of the truck and flopped her on the seat.

"Stay!" I screamed at her.

I got behind the wheel and left the parking lot, tires squealing in protest. The tires weren't all that were squealing in protest. Janice was at full throttle and telling me in no uncertain terms exactly how she felt about me.

"Jim! For God's sake! Slow down. You just ran a stop sign!"

"Just shut the fuck up, Janice! Besides, there wasn't anyone coming."

I managed to skid to a stop before I crashed through the garage door. I opened her door and throwing her over my shoulder again, headed for the front door. At least she wasn't kicking and screaming at me now. I managed to get the door unlocked, kicked it closed behind us and headed to the bedroom. I let her drop from my shoulder onto the center of the bed. She just laid there, arrogantly looking at me while I stripped my pants and shorts off.

"You surely don't think you're going to fuck me, do you? That's a joke. But go ahead, take your best shot, sweetie. Hell, I'm safe. I'll bet you wilt before you get half-way in me. Come on stud, show me what a man you are."

I was beyond mad now. The anger welled up in me. I hiked her skirt up around her waist, grabbed the front of her thong and yanked it off of her.

"Way to go, stud. You've found it. Now what are you going to do about it? Come on, there it is, right in front of you. Well, what are you waiting for? Come on. Show me what you haven't got."

That was the straw that broke the camel's back. Her arrogance was bad enough. She was belittling me now. By God, I'd show her! I yanked her knees apart and rammed my cock deep into her pussy with one powerful thrust. It's a good thing she was so wet. I would have injured both of us if she had been dry.

She screamed on the fifth thrust. Not in pain but in orgasmic bliss. She immediately began her prayers to The Deity of Lust and screamed through a second orgasm a minute after the first. I wasn't praying but I was certainly screaming right along with her as my own release exploded deep within her.

Falling off to the side, I lay there panting, exhausted; deeply ashamed of how I had treated her.

"Janice, I'm sorry. I had no right to treat you like that. Please forgive me? I—I don't know what came over me."

"Hey there, Caveman, wanna do it again?"

I looked at her, confused, uncertain. She rolled over on top of me and locked her mouth to mine. She then started kissing and licking her way down my body. I was rock hard by the time she got to my cock. She shifted her body to straddle me and slowly lowered herself, taking me a little at a time. She removed her blouse and bra and taking my hands, placed them on her breasts.

"Make love with me, honey. Take me places where only you can." She whispered in a throaty voice.

We worshiped at the throne of The Deity of Love and Lust for over an hour before drifting off to sleep in each other's arms.