Sorry I Never Called

Story Info
Peter tries to reconnect with April after her accident.
1.6k words
4.36
5.1k
4
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author Note:

This is the first story I've ever posted on (on this site). I tend to like stories with shorter chapters so I was surprised to find myself writing a longer story. Just so you know, there is no sex in this chapter and there might not be any in the second either.

Basically the "team" the story refers to is a group of secret agents with super powers. I tried to keep it kind of vague so it wouldn't come off as silly. Just try to picture something along those lines and you'll be good.

Anyway enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Peter waited outside the restaurant. He managed to hide his anxiety over the meeting besides some nervous foot tapping. It had been several years since he had seen April, not since the team split up. Not since her accident. Peter wasn't too sure she would even show up. Their relationship had always been complicated, even more so once everyone went their separate ways. Digging into his coat pocket, Peter checked his phone.

"Probably not even coming." he muttered to himself. At twenty-six Peter was of about average height, with green eyes and light brown hair that was starting to get shaggy again. He wore a heavy coat, enough to keep out the chill, and underneath that a gray button down and jeans. It was the absolute minimum for dinner at an upscale restaurant.

As the minutes crawled by he resisted the urge to check the time again. Either she would come or she wouldn't.

When he learned April would be visiting the city for a weekend he had left a message on her phone inviting her out to dinner. Her response was short and non committal. He had made several tentative attempts to bridge the gap in the past but never really managed to but his best foot forward.

It was the steady clack of shoes on pavement that drew his attention to the far end of the street. Surprised, He raised a hand as April rounded a the corner, coming towards the restaurant. Her dark hair was longer now than it used to be but he recognized her instantly. April had always been a striking girl, with sharp features and big bright eyes that hovered somewhere between blue and green. She wasn't particularly tall but he knew that the heavy black coat she wore shrouded a trim figure.

Peter still remembered a time when he had to force his eyes away from her or risk botching another training session. She had been gorgeous then and she still was now.

A closer look, though, brought back less pleasant memories. Unfortunately good looks weren't April's only distinctive feature.

The Past:

"Is she going to be alright?" Anthony asked. He and Peter, still in full uniforms, hustled behind the E MT's as they wheeled April's stretcher towards the ambulance.

The man shook his head." Can't say. These burns are pretty extensive but we'll have to get her back to the hospital before we can know for sure." Poor April was still unconscious, groaning deliriously. The sight put knots in Peters stomach.

A team of E MT's loaded her into the back of the van. However, when Anthony and Peter tried to climb in after an EMT stopped them with a raised hand.

"I'm her fiancee!" Anthony pleaded, indicating the ring on his finger. The man pulled back grudgingly but when Peter tried to follow he was stopped again.

"Family only." The man said. Stunned Peter stepped away. The doors slammed shut. He watched as the ambulance pulled away.

Eventually he felt Oliver's massive hand on his shoulder, pulling him back toward the others.

"She'll be fine, Pete. You'll see."

Two years ago they had attempted to stop the sabotage of a chemical plant. They had failed and April had been captured. They rescued her two week later but she never told much about what had happened... not that she had to really. The scars still marred the left side of her face from the bridge of her nose down her to neck and disappearing into the high neck of her dress.

They had faded with time but would never disappear completely.

However as she came to join him Peter still found himself stricken by April. He had gotten used to the scars and they never managed to make her less beautiful. Instead, a familiar nervous excitement came back to him. Struggling to keep his smile level Peter stepped forward to greet her.

For her part April simply nodded and smiled politely. They embraced in a formally, like cousins, though Peter couldn't help but wonder if maybe her touch lingered a little longer than necessary.

"It' s good to see you." Peter told her. It felt like the understatement of a life time.

"Thanks." Was all she said.

She watched him expectantly and the seconds began to tick away slowly. Peter had come in knowing April wasn't likely to start talking first but he still found himself groping for something to say. Suddenly all the questions he had planned to ask seemed terrible to start off a dinner with. He tried to keep casual.

"Want to head in? I figure catching up can wait until we're out of the cold."

The lights were dim inside the restaurant, but it certainly was warm enough. The light came from several red paper lanterns, lighting the vaguely oriental interior with a crimson glow.

A waiter was posted at the front desk and quickly led them to their seats. April followed a few short steps behind Peter and as they entered the crowded dining area, he noticed her hurriedly combing the hair down to cover the left side of her face. She didn't shed her coat when they sat down either and Peter silently kicked himself for not requesting a more private table.

April had always been a social creature but being alone with crowds of strangers made her skittish, especially after the accident.

As they waited for their menu's Peter tried to put her at ease. They small talked for awhile, mostly about what they had been up to recently. Peter told her about his new job, asked about hers. She asked how he liked living in the city.

" I never thought you'd go for the urban lifestyle. Too many people."

Peter shrugged and played it off, " I go wherever the best Chinese food is."

That was the first real smile he got from her that night.

By the time the waiter arrived with their orders some of the tension had eased and the two had moved on to more personal matters.

"You talk to anybody else from the old team?" Peter asked between fork fulls. April shrugged.

"Ollie sends me updates once in awhile, tells me what everyone's been up to. I think he sends one to everybody. He and his wife let me crash at their place for a couple nights while I was on the East Coast."

She dug out her phone and slid it across the table towards him. On it was a picture of Ollie, a huge man with a shaved head. He was grinning like a little kid with one massive arm looped around a small blonde woman who barely reached his shoulder.

"Cute couple." Peter smiled, handing the phone back.

April laughed and tucked the phone away again. "I know right? She's really sweet and they've got two of those cute little dogs."

"How about the others?" Peter prompted.

"Anthony and I stopped talking after we split up. We patched things up pretty soon though. Now we're "friends." She delivered the word with air quotes and a wry smile. "The kind of friends who live on opposite ends of the country and don't call or talk to each other ever."

"Mm mm." Peter laughed. He remember being not entirely as upset a friend should have been when he learned that April and Anthony's engagement had been broken off.

"Pretty much right after that, Gavin popped up out of the blue and started calling me every day." April rolled her eyes at him. "Then he added me on Facebook and started sending me messages," She put down the fork and started doing a dull voiced impression of Gavin's grating surfer drawl. " Hey babe. When are we going to catch up?" "You've gotta come to Canada sometime and check out my new place."

Peter cracked up, covering his mouth to keep from spitting food on her. She grinned, obviously pleased with herself for getting such a rise out of him.

"That was spot on," Peter wheezed when his breath returned.

"I've been working on it for awhile." She returned to her food but the amusement didn't fade away completely. Her eyes were wide and brights, that sly smile tugging just at the edges of her lips. She had a beautiful smile and when it showed through Peter found himself smiling too. Like it was enough just to make her happy.

April paused to grab another fork full before continuing."Anyway he threw a fit when I told him it wasn't going to happen. I guess he had a thing for me all this time. Can you believe that?"

Peter shrugged. "Sure."

" He was barely fifteen when he joined the team!" April sputtered," He was practically our kid sidekick!"

"April, our "special task force" was five teenagers who spent most of our lives in an underground bunker." Peter told her," You were the only girl on the team. Everybody had a thing for you."

It was supposed to be a joke but instead of laughing she looked down for a moment. When she looked up again Peter found he couldn't read her expression. There was a pause.

"What about you?" April asked carefully.

He had walked right into that one.