Southern Comfort Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He covered the receiver with his hand and whispered, "I'll just be a minute." He turned his attention back to the caller. "Yeah. Yeah, I hear you. Go ahead." He seemed to be highly distracted and I felt his penis soften after a few brief moments. I pushed against his shoulder and he rolled from me as he continued his discussion.

I sighed. I could hear him talking about getting together with Sonny over something to do with money as I went into his closet and searched for anything warm and dry to wear. I donned a pair of my old jeans and one of his shirts. I found a jacket he never wore and slipped it on as well. When I emerged from the closet, he was jotting down notes and he never looked up as I left the bedroom, put my shoes on, and with my purse in hand, I left.

**********

The air was still bitterly cold, but the rain had subsided. I walked as quickly as I could without turning an ankle in heels on the slick pavement. I was almost to the main boulevard when a car approached from behind. It sped up and passed me before pulling over to the curb and the passenger door opened. I made my way to it and leaned down to speak to the driver.

"I was on my way home from the club when I saw you. Where are you headed?" Bob asked. I was surprised I wasn't getting the same lecture I had gotten from Jon earlier.

"Home," I replied without enthusiasm.

"Well, get in. I'll give you ride," he offered.

I settled into the passenger seat and shut the door. He looked me over for a moment and said, "You look like you've been through hell."

"It hasn't been a good day. Do you have a cigarette? I think I left mine at Jon's," I said without looking at him. He reached in his pocket, lit a cigarette and handed it to me.

He put the car in gear and eased back into the street. "If you're up for some company, I happen to have a couple of bottles of wine at the house." Bob was being subtle in his technique. I was in the mood for subtle and some company.

"Okay. I have to be home early though," I said quietly.

"Where's your car?"

"Parked. I think it has an electrical short," I shrugged. He nodded as his gaze traveled to his mirrors. He made a U-turn on the boulevard and headed in the direction of his apartment. We made the remainder of the drive in silence. In fact, he said nothing until we were seated on his couch, sipping wine.

"Did Jon tell you I've been home a few days?" he asked at last.

I nodded. "Bob, I'm sorry if I caused you any problem. As you can see, I'm fine."

"Cindy, you don't look fine to me and you don't sound fine to me. I'm not trying to start an argument, but why don't you tell me what's been going on? You disappear and no one knows where you are; you don't return messages or calls. That isn't like you," he said quietly. "Does Jon know where you are right now?" he asked.

"No," I sighed. "I doubt he even knows I left yet."

"What happened?"

"Tonight?" I asked.

"Why don't you start with the last time we spoke?" he suggested. He listened while I filled him in on all the happenings since he had last called.

When I came to the real reason for my staged disappearance, he paid close attention. "I thought if I put the kids somewhere safe for a few days, I could change my usual habits and maybe throw whoever is watching me off my trail for a while. I was at home the entire time," I explained. "Well, I was sleeping there anyway," I shrugged.

"This guy has really got you spooked," he observed.

"You don't know the half of it, Bob. I went shopping a couple of weeks ago. And, I found a few things I liked, but they weren't in my size. So, I asked the clerk to order them for me and to call me when they came in. She didn't call me, so I called her to check on when they would be in. She said some guy came in and picked up the entire order," I explained.

Bob stiffened and looked alert at my revelation. "Do you think it's the same guy?" he asked.

"I think so. The description fits. He paid cash. But, what's weird is, why? He's got my clothes, but they weren't really my clothes yet. So, if he were some kind of freak, why would he do that? I don't understand, and it's so crazy that I just don't know what to make of it all," I said shaking my head in bewilderment.

"But, you still haven't seen anyone following you? No cars, no one trailing you at the mall on foot, nothing?" he asked. I shook my head. "Well, I have to tell you this, princess, I've made inquires. I've talked to people who have answered some of the calls at your job. I even called a lot of the local florists and questioned them. So far, I've come up empty-handed. I don't mean to add to your stress, but whoever he is, he's smart. He's covered his tracks pretty well up until now.

"I did talk to a guy I know and it might make you feel better knowing that as far as your house goes, they're patrolling more often than they normally do. Maybe the extra activity will scare him away," he said. "I'm doing what I can, but until he gets stupid, there's not much else I can do."

"I know, Bob. And, believe me, I appreciate it. I don't feel quite so helpless when you're around," I said.

At that point, Bob said something I didn't expect to hear. "Well, if you would move in with me, I could make sure you're safe all the time, princess."

"Move in with you? You're joking, right?" I asked tilting my head at him.

"No, I don't joke around about things like that, princess. I haven't spent the last eight months invested in you for no reason. Hasn't the idea of us being together ever crossed your mind?"

"Not about moving in with you," I said honestly.

"Why not?" he asked.

I was left more than a little speechless by his proposal. "Well, there are a lot of reasons, Bob. For one thing I have two little girls, remember? You don't have room here for me, much less my kids. Besides, you're a confirmed bachelor. You haven't got a clue what it's like living with me."

"I'm well aware that you are a mom, and they do make bigger places than this to live. Why don't you say that you aren't in love with me?" he asked.

"Because, I don't know myself what I feel about you, Bob. Look, I got out of a bad marriage and I moved in with Roger just weeks after I met him. I thought we were in love, but it didn't turn out that way. I made one of the biggest mistakes of my life with him. He's attached to my kids, and my kids call him 'daddy'. How can I hurt all of them just because I'm not happy? I don't want to jump out of one bad relationship and into another one that I'm not completely sure about."

"You seem pretty sure about Jon," he pointed out with an edge of annoyance.

"I'm sure that I love Jon. But, our circumstances feed the relationship. I'm not responsible for his children, and he's not responsible for mine. If I moved in with him, we would lose a lot of the freedom we have when we are together. Being a couple is one thing, but being a family is far different. I'm not sure that it wouldn't destroy our relationship completely. While I do love Jon, I'm not sure where we stand relationship wise. It hasn't really been put to a test."

Bob gave me a curious look. "Well, at least you didn't say youdon't love me," he said. "The rest of what you say makes sense. Eventually, you're going to leave Roger. Wouldn't doing it sooner rather than later prevent a lot of hurt?"

"Every time I think I'm getting close to making that move, something happens that makes me stay. I guess it's never really a good time to end a relationship. But, you're right. I will leave him. I told him that earlier tonight. He didn't seem too upset over it. I just need to get my shit together and do it, I guess. The only reason he stays is because of the girls. He doesn't love me, but he does love my girls," I explained.

Bob shook his head in wonder. "I don't know him, but I can tell you that I don't even begin to understand him. Does he know about Jon? I should rephrase that. Does he understand the nature of your relationship with Jon?" he asked.

"Oh, yeah. He tracked me down just to tell me to call Jon and report in to him tonight. Jon put the fear of god in him, I think."

Bob snorted in contempt. "Well, since I've been calling your house every five minutes for the past few days, I have to ask what you've told him about us. Does he know about me?"

"He does now. I reminded him who you are when he asked me earlier. I didn't spell it out for him, but I'm sure he's made his own assumptions by now," I replied.

"What you did tonight wasn't too smart, Cindy. I don't want you walking anywhere until we figure out who this guy is who has so much interest in you. I'd rather you not go anywhere alone, but I know that's asking too much. Where is your car?" he asked.

"I left it in the parking lot of this new club. It's the one in the strip by where I work." I don't know why I decided to tell Bob what I wouldn't even tell Jon. So far the trust I had placed in him hadn't been unfounded. Yeah, there were some breaches, but nothing too serious. He'd never said or done anything that had caused me any setbacks, and if anything, he was my staunchest ally.

"Is that where you've been keeping yourself?" he asked arching an eyebrow at me. I gave him a wicked grin and he shook his head in dismay. "You know that's a biker hangout, I guess."

"So, what's your point?"

"Nothing. Nothing at all," he sighed. "I'm just picturing myself having to wade up in the middle of the place when you get yourself into the next bit of trouble."

"I don't get myself into trouble. It's men. They make me do stupid shit sometimes," I laughed.

"Oh, and I suppose there's never been a man that you made do stupid shit, right?" he taunted rolling his eyes at me.

"Bob, do me a favor. I wasn't going to tell anyone about that place. Roger found me because he happened to see the car there. The only reason I started going there is because it is a biker club. I figure maybe my so-called admirer wouldn't think I'd go in a place like that, plus I have friends there now. They don't let anyone get near me. So, if there ever were trouble with this guy, I'm pretty sure they'll have my back. I just thought someone should know. You'll keep it to yourself, won't you?"

Bob looked rather pleased with that information. "I'm flattered. You're sharing secrets with me that even Jon doesn't know? This must be the biggest breakthrough of my career with you."

"It isn't that. I don't want to worry him right now."

"Hey, don't steal my spotlight, princess. I stay in the fucking shadows way too much where he's concerned as it is. I'll take whatever bows I can right now," he teased. He reached and took the wine glass from my hand and set it aside. "Right now, I want you to get some sleep. I'll get you up early and we'll go deal with your car. But, you look like you could use some rest."

"I told you that I have to be home early. I can't stay the night, Bob. Not tonight."

"I won't take no for answer. Go get in bed. I'll take the couch tonight, and in the morning I'll fix your car and you can be on your way," he said firmly. He stood up and dragged me to my feet.

"Why are you going to sleep on the couch?" I asked. "I won't sleep at all if you aren't there with me, so what's the point?" We were arguing that issue when the phone rang.

"Go to bed. I'll be there in a few minutes," he assured me as he reached to answer it. "Yeah?" he asked the caller. "Oh, hey. I was just about to give you call, Jon. Yes, she's here. I picked her up walking by your place."

Bob looked at me to see if I wanted to speak with Jon. I shook my head and waved him off.

"No, she's fine, but she's in the shower. I'm going to let her stay here tonight and get some sleep. I'll deal with the car thing in the morning. Yeah, right. I'll let her know. Take it easy." Bob concluded the call quickly and hung up.

"He's going to know you were covering for me. I had a shower at his house earlier," I said frowning at him.

"You need another one. You smell like his cologne, among other things," he said frowning back at me.

"Oh. Well, if I get another shower now, I'll be awake the rest of the night, so I might as well just go home," I shrugged at him.

Bob sighed and rolled his eyes in exasperation. He turned me towards the bedroom and gave me a nudge. "Just come on. It won't be the first time I've had a woman in my bed that smelled like some other man. Maybe it'll keep me honest, and youcan get some sleep," he snorted.

I was grinning at his complacency. "Are you really going to fix my car for me?" I asked over my shoulder as I made my way to the bedroom.

"I said I would, didn't I?" he replied.

"I didn't know you knew anything about cars," I said sounding impressed.

"I know a little. I think I can manage to get yours running anyway," he said without sounding overly egotistical. "If I can't, I know how to call a mechanic," he assured me as he flipped on the bedroom light. "Where are you going?" he asked as I veered towards the bathroom.

I stepped through the bathroom door before I turned to face him again. "To take a shower so I don't stink up our bed."

"Our bed?" he asked cocking his head at me.

"Yes. Our bed. And, afterwards, you can use our brush to brush my hair. Do you see how scary that sounds?" I teased him. "Just think how it would be if I moved in with you. I thought maybe you should hear how it sounds before I make up my mind. Our bed, our furniture, our car, our everything!" I declared cheerfully.

He thought about it for a moment. "You're absolutely right. It sounds just awful. I totally withdraw the offer now," he answered. He allowed a long pause before he presented his next idea. "I'll marry you instead and make youmy wife. That way it'll still be my apartment, my bed, my car and my furniture. I'll just add you to the rest of my things. Go get a shower."

I made a face and stuck my tongue out at him before I closed the bathroom door between us.

**********

Bob fixed my car the following morning as promised. His price was dinner that evening and almost every night thereafter. Jon was keeping busy between his work and his extracurricular activities. Sonny was caught up in preparations for the Mardi gras season. It was nearing the third week of January and we were all staying busy.

I wasn't truly upset with Jon, but I was a little worried about not seeing him as often as I would have liked. With me spending a good deal of time with Bob, I didn't notice the phone calls quite as much. They still continued, but I simply wasn't available to be aware of most of them, and nothing else had happened that made me panic.

Things were changing, and a lot of those changes were directly related to my relationship with Bob. Of course, it wasn't an overnight change, but it began with Bob spending more time not only with me, but with my children as well. It was subtle and it took time. It began with small things, like him going to the grocery store with me.

Bob didn't want me going anywhere alone, especially with the children. So, when I announced my plans for going grocery shopping with the kids, he insisted that he tag along. I introduced him to the girls and he made a pretty big splash with them. Especially with the youngest.

The girls were impatient and fussy in the store and I was busy trying to keep up with my list that was considerable in length. I usually shopped once a month for a major buying spree. I looked up to find Bob and both girls MIA. I searched the store only to find them on the children's toy aisle.

The baby was riding on his shoulders while he demonstrated to the oldest how to use a hula-hoop. Everybody seemed content, so I went on with my shopping and left them playing. A little while later, they came galloping from across the store. Heads turned to watch the handsome middle-aged man frolicking with the children they assumed were his. He had the baby on his hip, and the eldest was holding his hand as they came skipping up. They all had water pistols that he tossed in the buggy along with some unnecessary treats.

When we arrived at the checkout line, he tried to pay for the entire grocery bill, but I stood firm and wouldn't allow it. By the time we got to the car, he sheepishly handed me the baby with a warning. "Mom, we had a little accident," he reported as he pulled his shirt away from his skin and made a face. There was a wet stain on it.

"You pee'd on me, didn't you?" he accused her as he poked her stomach and then tickled her cheek. She surprised me by calling him by his name and slapping at his hand.

"You're lucky she didn't pee down your neck when you had her on your shoulders," I snorted. "Did you teach her to call you that?" I asked giving him a suspicious look

"Me? No way!" he said in denial. "She's psychic like her mother."

"Uncle Bob, can we go to McDonald's?" the eldest asked.

"You betcha! I'm hungry. How about you guys?" he said without consulting me.

"Uh,Uncle Bob? The first thing we need to get straight is that you never say 'yes' to anything without checking with Mom first," I scolded him.

"No way," he said firmly. "This is a democracy and I vote for McDonald's. Who's with me? Who wants to go to Mickey D's?" he asked throwing his hands in the air and waving them wildly. The girls followed suit. He burst out laughing at the look on my face when he declared a landslide victory in his favor.

"You're never going shopping with me again," I muttered under my breath.

After lunch, he made a suggestion. "You take the groceries home. I'll take the girls and drop them at Carol's for you. Then I'll go home and get cleaned up and I'll meet you at the Cypress around seven for dinner. It's about time I meet Carol anyway. We've talked a couple of times over the phone. I want to meet her."

I didn't over expose my children to Bob, but occasionally we would spend part of the day together and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Bob was mindful to always mention Roger in their presence. He would reassure them that their 'daddy' would be picking them up from Carol's house. Or that daddy wouldn't allow him to take them to his house to spend the night. Bob quickly became their second favorite 'uncle', right behind Daniel.

**********

A couple of nights after Bob picked me up on the streets, a minor incident arose. I had worked the night before, and Jon was at the bar drinking. He must have had some idea of taking me home with him that night, but he didn't mention it to me. When I clocked out and changed clothes, Bob appeared and invited me to dinner with him. I left the bar with him without telling Jon where I was going.

I guess Jon was annoyed by Bob monopolizing a lot of my time, so the following night, he confronted me about where I had gone the night before. We had stepped outside to discuss the situation when Bob pulled into the parking lot and walked up to us a minute later. A verbal dispute ensued. Bob insisted he had as much right to date me as Jon did. In turn, Jon informed Bob that I wouldn't be dating him at all if I didn't have Jon's permission to do so.

While the snide comments were flying, I returned to the bar and retrieved my purse. I sauntered past them on my way to my car. When both of them noticed I was making a departure they wanted to know where I was going. I let them know that I was meeting Sonny at Jon's apartment. We had a prearranged date for the evening. We all four converged on Jon's apartment about the same time.

Bob and Sonny were already arguing before they even got through the door. Jon called their discussion to an abrupt halt when he issued a shrill whistle. The room went eerily silent. He cleared his throat and said, "Cindy, come here." He pointed to the floor at his side. Of course, I obliged and joined him.

"Now, I've been busy around here lately, and it would appear that I've let some things get out of hand. Catin, you're staying here with me tonight," he announced. Both Sonny and Bob began a whole new tirade directed at Jon. "Sonny, go home! I'll talk to you about this later," Jon ordered sharply.