Split in Time Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We can't, we have things to do, to set into motion, we can return." She promised.

"We have to wait until I deflate." He said pleased with himself.

"Okay, a little more time can't hurt." She told him.

****

Amy heard a knock on the door to her room. She opened her eyes and turned to Wolfgang who was draped over her. They had left the room which was out of time, and had quietly returned to her room. She had almost forgotten that it was the dead of night back out in the real world, almost but not quite, when they got back to her room she had forced Wolfgang to sleep with a simple command as she knew he would need it.

The knock came again. It took Amy a moment to remember that she was meant to be staking out Judas before dawn. The whole out of time for weeks then returning to a point she had almost forgotten about was going to screw her up and she now understood Nathanael's irritation when she had done it to him. She quickly slid out from under Wolfgang who mumbled a protest. In a moment she was dressed and answering the door.

Crystal, Destiny and Vlha were waiting on the other side of the door. "Sorry, forgot." Amy said as she quietly closed the door behind her.

"No wonder you forgot..." Crystal said as she saw the bite wounds both new and old on Amy. "Only, some of those look days old."

Amy nodded, "they are, there is a room behind the yellow doors which lives outside of time." She explained. "We spent weeks in that room and only returned a moment after entering."

"Nice." Crystal said kind of wishing that she had a room like that to throw Ghan and Keira in just to get rid of them for a while.

"Now, to stake out Judas." Amy said getting to the reason for the early wake up call.

Her group nodded and followed her. When they were outside they found a nice place to stake out Judas, in view of the room Vivian had picked for the Masters to witness the carriage of justice if they wished to. Amy handed out ground pegs and hammers. They each went to a point creating an almost perfect rectangle. Silver chains appeared in Amy's hands. "Just out of curiosity why are vampires allergic to silver?"

Vlha took a chain, "at first they weren't, however one of my juniors attacked and drained a S'ephalim messenger known as Sasha. The gods could have decided to wipe all vampires from the face of the universe. Instead they decided to make all Vampires allergic to silver as silver is infused in S'ephalim blood. The junior became addicted to S'ephalim blood, when Sasha returned to deliver a new message he went for her and he died the moment he took his first mouthful."

Amy smiled and finished handing out the silver chains. "Which just proves my theory that you aren't vampires." they got the chains hooked to the pegs before Amy made Judas appear before them. "Any last words or requests?" Amy asked.

"No, I don't regret my choices and I will not beg forgiveness." He said defiantly.

"Lie down." Amy told him and he lay down without the need for force, and didn't fight as they chained him spread eagle to the ground. "You were sentenced by your peers for your crimes; they have deemed your death to be your penance." She said formally.

They stepped back, "may your death be swift." Amy said gently, then together they turned and returned to the temple. "If you want to watch I can direct you to the right room." Amy said.

"I would much rather a hot cup of blood." Vlha said.

"Don't you mean a hot cup of coffee?" Crystal said.

"What's coffee?" Vlha asked suddenly as he glanced to Destiny and noticed that she too was confused. "Why don't you know what Coffee is?"

"Hello... only just learnt I can actually eat other things yesterday. So how about we both go and see what coffee is." Destiny said as she followed Crystal.

Vivian appeared and handed Amy a small black dome, an Atlantian computer, once the others were well and truly gone. "The results... I had Rhun go through them as they made little sense to me. He took one look and wanted to hand them off to the merlins. I gave copies to them all; they are in the meeting room waiting for you."

Amy nodded and together they went to the main meeting room the Ancients used. It also happened to be the room, in which she had told her story to them. The merlins were huddled around a computer, Rhun was busy with another. Amy sat and pulled up the results to see what had the others so concerned. Amy frowned, surprised that all the tests she had run on Keira, Ghan and many others were also there and used for references. She now could see what the others saw. Arianna and several other masters had offered their own tissue and saliva to help as well.

Judas had been right about genetic similarities he just didn't know what the hell he was looking for. He hadn't thought to look for multiple genes linking them. There wasn't one gene which made them different to Vampires but a series of them. All three had the dormant Were gene, which of the other masters only Arianna shared with them. All three had the immortality gene which none of the other masters had, and the last gene was a gene that Susan, Alanna, Electra and Sage had in common with them. A gene, which had no known name although it would later become known simply as the 'mystery gene' as no one knew where it came from only that it just popped up every now and again. Amy was sure she and her children carried this gene and that they got it from her, she was sure that was also how Susan, Alanna, Electra and Sage got the gene. But they didn't have a machine powerful enough to genetically analyse either her DNA or her bite so for now they just had to guess where these genes had come from.

"If only we could analyse your DNA," Rhun said suddenly into the quiet room.

Amy nodded, she understood, if she also had this 'mystery' gene, which she thought she did, it would put an even bigger question mark on what she was and what those who shared this mystery gene really were as well. "At least we know now why Judas's bite in conjunction with Crystal's blood didn't work to turn anyone."

Everyone nodded as that had confused them. "The question is whether Destiny had the 'mystery' gene or whether it was given to her from Crystal's blood."

"Bigger question is where Crystal got the gene to begin with; it's not in Vlha's bite so she didn't get it from Judas." Taliesin said.

"I doubt she got it from her mother." Mryddin added. "Although the curse may have altered a gene to become the mystery gene, but again I doubt it."

"This is giving me a headache." Rhun said holding his head.

"Mind if I copy all of this?" Amy asked as she willed her trusty globe into her hand.

"Go for it," Mryddin said, "more than likely you will be the one to answer the riddle."

Amy chuckled and transferred every scrap of data they had compiled onto her globe.

"You know, once you get the answer, could you ask Fate to let us know the answer as well." Taliesin pleaded.

Amy nodded, "I'll do my best."

"That's all we can ask." Vivian answered.

*

Amy joined Crystal, Destiny and Vlha at a table with her own cup of coffee a little while later. Susan appeared next to Amy and because her beast was still slumbering in her mind she didn't feel on edge. A cup of coffee appeared before Susan as she sat. "I have the answer." Amy told them then sipped her coffee.

"So I can claim my mate?" Destiny asked which made Susan smile and chuckle a little as she had been about to ask the same thing.

Amy nodded, "your bites aren't toxic to each other, but I had guessed that, what I was trying to figure out is if they would alter you, still don't know but they shouldn't do anything too drastic to you, you may gain some of each others characteristics but not much."

She considered what else she had learnt for a moment before turning to Vlha and starting with him. "The reason all other Vampires are not like you Vlha is because of a combination of genes. To be like you they require two specific genes, which pop up all the time in a dormant state. However in your case only one gene was dormant, the Were gene. So the active immortal gene woke up the dormant Were gene up, which is why you have a beast."

"And why I have to bite to turn?" Vlha asked as he had wondered about that, it had seemed such a Were like trait.

Amy nodded, "And why it is so hard to kill a true Vampire because the partially awoken Were gene is... on steroids," she said trying to find the best way to explain what she wanted to say.

"Because the gene was awoken by the immortal gene and not by an active Were gene," Crystal added as she was following what Amy was saying.

Amy nodded.

"Then why didn't they become like me?" Vlha asked.

"Because only the 'defective' Were gene is being passed on not the immortality gene, and both genes have to be present to be like you," Amy explained, "and I don't think there will ever be another being like you because an active immortal gene will prevent the defective Were gene from establishing. You are literally one of a kind; there will never be anyone close to what you are."

Vlha felt a little saddened that there would never be another exactly like him but he wasn't disappointed in the beings who were closest to him. Crystal and Destiny he knew would become true friends to him, as they were people who could truly understand him.

"Okay, what about us?" Destiny asked.

"You have one extra gene," Amy started. "You were given the defective Were gene but you were both born with an inactive immortal gene. The third gene however is rare, we don't know where it comes from it just mysteriously appears. This mystery gene we believe awakens the immortal gene and allows the defective Were gene to take root."

"So... who else do you know has this gene?" Destiny asked.

Amy nodded, "Susan carries it, as does, Alanna, Electra and Sage." She explained. "Pretty sure I also carry it and that it was I who gave it to Susan, Alanna, Electra and Sage. Can't test it though as my DNA will fry any machine that goes to analyse it. However I can prove that I gave the gene to Susan, as we have a DNA profile from both before and after her turn and she didn't have the gene before I turned her."

Amy sipped from her coffee, "Ghan doesn't have it, neither does Vlha, none of the Ancients have it and everyone else we have a DNA profile for doesn't have it."

"So what is a Vampire and what isn't a Vampire?" Destiny asked confused.

"You three aren't Vampires, you are something else. All the creatures turned by Vlha are true Vampires." Amy answered.

"But we drink blood." Crystal argued.

"In a way so do I, doesn't make me a vampire because I like the taste of my mate's blood." Amy argued. "You don't crave human blood like the others, you prefer animal blood, if you ate raw meat like Were do you would probably notice your need for blood lessen further. You will probably only ever truly crave the blood of your mate." She finished.

Garnet plopped into a chair next to Amy and rested her head on Amy's shoulder. "Wake me when breakfast is ready." She begged before she closed her eyes, a moment later her eyes snapped open and she turned to Amy, she could smell her brother's scent on Amy and it was strong. "I thought you were going to hold off mating Wolfgang until after the gathering?"

"We were... until last night." Amy answered.

Garnet chuckled, "he is going to be pissed that you aren't there when he wakes."

"He'll get over it." Amy answered confidently. "More coffee?" She asked as she made a pot of coffee appear.

"Yes please." Everyone chorused.

****

Wolfgang pressed his face to Amy's neck, after the talks had been dismissed for the day they had gone off into the courtyard gardens for some alone time which didn't involve a bed. She was cradled in his arms, his back against an old willow. He was still trying to get around the fact that the courtyard existed out of time, the plants were always in fruit, the bushes always covered with berries, the temperature was always just right, not too hot not too cold. Perfect snuggling weather.

"Does winter ever come to the courtyard?" He asked.

"No... that isn't how this area works, it is meant to be this way, this courtyard remains constant, a constant source of real food if we want or need it. Not that we really need it." She answered.

"We've had this conversation before haven't we?" He asked feeling a little stupid.

"Actually no... the other you only came to the temple with me that once and the courtyard wasn't a part of that experience."

"Then how do you know how the courtyard works?"

She chuckled, "Ancient remember, there are just some things we know, especially about the temple, this is our only constant in our long lives, we aren't always all here, sometimes it's empty so we need to know how this place works. Taliesin believes that our instincts are super sensitive when it comes to this place; we just need a nudge to... 'remind' us."

"Amy..."

"Hmm..."

"You aren't actually Ancient... so how do you know all this?" He asked seriously.

She thought for several moments, "regardless of what I actually am, I am still Rhiannon's daughter; her blood is a part of me, which makes me part Ancient."

He frowned for a moment, "if that is so... then shouldn't the girls have some Ancient qualities, since they share your blood."

Amy chewed her lip for a moment as she considered his statement, in theory he was right... in theory. "You know, you've just spoiled our afternoon." She told him as she stood. Alanna, Electra, Sage, Susan meet me at the front door please. She called out as she offered her hand to Wolfgang to help him up.

"Why the front door?" He asked as he dusted his behind and followed Amy.

"Simple... in theory if my blood has given them Ancient characteristics..."

"Who has Ancient characteristics?" Mryddin asked as he joined them having come from the fountain.

"My daughters and Susan..." Amy answered.

"What's this about Sage?" Gabrielle asked as she walked out of the orchard with a pear.

"Nothing bad..." Amy said and glanced around wondering if anyone else was going to walk into her conversation with Wolfgang. Wolfgang chuckled as he sensed her irritation. Grandma can you bring Sasha to the front door.

Why? Vivian asked.

Please, I'll explain when you get there. Amy answered.

Okay, we'll be there in a few minutes. Vivian answered.

In less than five minutes Amy, Wolfgang, Gabrielle and Mryddin were at the front door. A few minutes after they arrived Amy's daughters, Susan and their mates joined them with Vivian and Sasha.

"Okay, outside." Amy said as she made coats appear for everyone to rug up. When everyone was ready Amy opened the door and they exited. Ash was out the front having just given Bandit a gentle work out, Bandit had a bad habit of attacking the shrubs near the front door on the way back to the stables and nothing Ash did could stop it or move him on until he wanted.

"Wolfgang have you met Ash yet?" Amy asked.

Wolfgang thought for a moment, "No, but I have seen him." He studied the young man, Ash stood still and let the appraisal happen, all of the Alphas he had met had done the same, they stared and it was unsettling.

Wolfgang, you are unnerving him. Amy told him silently.

"Okay... so why did you drag us out here." He said directing everyone's attention to Amy.

"Alanna open the door." Amy asked.

"But..." Alanna said as she knew only Ancients could open the door.

"Just try, please."

Alanna shrugged and reached for the door handle, she took it and twisted the knob; the door opened much to her surprise. Vivian and Mryddin stared in shock.

"Close the door, Ash do me a favour and open the door." Amy continued, she wanted to prove a point, at least to those who didn't know that only those with Ancient blood could open a door leading into the temple.

Ash nodded and handed the reins to Tarval and walked up to the door, he took the handle and gave it a partial twist as the handle seized proving it was locked.

"Sage, Electra, Susan, Destiny, Sasha, Wolfgang and Tarval, try the door one at a time please." Amy asked as she sent a mental message for Rhun to bring Taylor, if her theory was correct then technically Taylor could also open the door as she consumed some of Rhun's blood to form the mates bond with him.

Sage, Electra and Sasha all opened the door and got no surprise that they could since Alanna had been able to do. Wolfgang, Susan, Tarval and Destiny however were stunned as they opened and closed the door.

Rhun and Taylor appeared just as Tarval tried and succeeded to open the door. Rhun's jaw dropped as he watched Tarval again open the door.

Tarval turned to Taylor, "your turn." He said as he stepped away.

Taylor scrubbed her hands against her jeans as she approached the door, she took the handle and twisted it with a little push, the door swung open as easily for her as it had for the others.

"Let's head in and I'll explain... you too Ash." Amy added and gestured at Bandit who vanished to his stall, untacked and with a branch of his favourite shrub. Everyone followed Amy into the temple and later into her office where everyone found a seat.

Amy paced a little as she waited for everyone to settle, her hand clutched her globe as she added another note to remind herself that she needed to seriously look into what her daughters were capable of. If her Ancientness was indeed rubbing off on them then it meant far reaching consequences, it changed the way Amy had to train her daughters. Both here and there, she hoped the other versions of herself, if there were any, figured it out before something bad happened.

"Okay," she said as she turned to them. "Wolfgang made a point in a discussion which led me to a theory..."

"Have you noticed that Amy's theories often turn out to be fact?" Destiny asked aside to Alanna who chuckled and got many other chuckles in agreement.

"Okay... so we were talking about the courtyard and he asked how I knew about the temple... I said it was simply something Ancients know; he countered and said that I'm not really Ancient, I'm something else. I said regardless of what I actually am, I am still Rhiannon's daughter, her blood is mine, and my blood courses through most of you now."

"I hate you." Wolfgang said not really meaning it. "Do you remember everything done and said around you?" he demanded to know.

Amy thought about it, "most times, sometimes I need a little prompt but generally no I don't forget."

"Back to what you were saying?" Vivian prompted.

"Anyway, Wolfgang then said, shouldn't the girls show some Ancient characteristics, since my blood bonded with them. So... I thought the easiest way to see if this works was to see if something... that Ancients don't even think about... worked with them."

"Like opening a door." Rhun concluded with a nod.

Amy nodded, "which they all managed to do, I invited the others because in some shape or form they have consumed Ancient blood including Susan who scratched me then cleaned the wounds with her tongue."

"You know what this means right?" Mryddin asked. "It means they are all possible Ancients. That they may become Ancient or gain Ancient abilities without the say so of Fate."

Rhun shook his head, "no, remember that everything that happens around us happens for a reason, including the people in our lives, which stands to reason that whatever happens was designed to happen by Fate and therefore her will. Maybe she is trying something different, a different kind of Ancient, they may not time travel or be able to alter the fabric of reality but they may not need to."

"But we simply don't know..." Vivian said as she hugged her daughter to her body. "We don't know how they will develop and you know as well as I do that they will only come into their powers when we start to train them."