Spook Light

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The deputy sheriff had no idea what to do about the papers and called in the sheriff. He had no idea and called the FBI. To everyone's surprise, they came out, took the papers and took responsibility for the investigation. Of course, something of this magnitude was bound to leak out, and the headlines blared, "NEW LEAD ON 3 YEAR OLD DISAPPEARANCE OF TWO SOUTHWEST MISSOURI YOUNG PEOPLE"

The news article was short on facts and long on repetition of old news and supposition. It did state the two driver's licenses had been recovered.

Two weeks after the FBI took over the case they showed up with a court order to exhume bodies from the old family cemetery on the bluff. What no one had considered pertinent three years ago when the kids disappeared—the old headstones for a Todd and Sally Sinclair—now became very important. Of course, to the Sinclairs, this was part of their family history. They knew they were descended from early settlers Todd and Sally Sinclair and had named Todd after him, as that was a family name. Now, the graves took on a different meaning. Todd died in 1909 at age 78, Sally died in 1913 at age 80.

For six months, the investigation continued. The town and the Spook light saw many visitors from the military, universities, and various law enforcement agencies. No one knew how it happened or even what happened for sure, but carbon dating of the bones in the graves, the paper and pencils, comparison of paper remains and pencil lead; in short, everything substantiated the written record. DNA testing proved with a 99.9998% accuracy that the bones in the graves were Todd Sinclair, born in 1999 and buried in 1909. Sally's DNA also checked out.

Survivors from the people listed in the history were traced down, and DNA tests done on them. The records matched. They were descended from Tom and Marilyn Sinclair and Jordan and Mildred Johnson.

Todd and Sally were returned to their graves finally, and a new modern headstone was erected. Eventually, their parents were laid to rest beside them as they, too, passed to their reward. Of course, the mystery was never solved. Over time, the Spook light was no longer seen, but it was never forgotten. It and the Sinclairs occupied a small niche in history as a scientific anomaly, never explained.