Starcrossed Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
svenjolly
svenjolly
343 Followers

"I look forward to that," Alex said to probably the twentieth young woman that evening. Her sharp, bird-like features put him off, and he was relieved when she moved down the line. "You can just shoot me now, Horace," he whispered.

"Ah, but that would be treason, your highness." As the head of palace security and dominus of the Royal Guard, Horace took his responsibilities very seriously. Watching the young prince handle himself was filling Horace with an almost fatherly pride, but he was also enjoying watching him suffer his social responsibilities.

"The Lady Orma of Golga Prime," the tribune announced. A petite redhead made her way down the stairs, her dress drawing amazed looks from most of the hall. It's shimmering fabric was cut away just below her breasts, leaving the bottom swells exposed, as well as her lightly freckled flat belly. Alex wondered if that was a silent fuck you to whoever had spread the rumor about her being pregnant. In any case, he liked the girl's guts.

"My lady," Alex said grandly, taking her hand and kissing it lightly, "it is a great pleasure to finally meet you." Glancing to a gathering of guests, Alex could see that everyone had noticed this gesture.

"Indeed," Orma said, slightly thrown by Alex's unexpected familiarity, "I've oft wanted to visit Liada Prime and see the palace for myself. Everything has truly surpassed my expectations."

The two exchanged small talk for a few moments, Alex making a point of talking to her for about thirty seconds longer than he had many of the other women. He kept sneaking glances at the crowds, trying to gauge who might be watching the exchange. One of the few pleasures Alex could find in the intrigues of the royal court was in trying to out-do the schemers who filled it.

"Well we'll have to discuss this further, my lady," Alex said with a tilt of his head, dismissing her. Orma dazzled him with a brilliant smile before moving down the line.

"You enjoyed that a bit too much," Horace whispered as he leant close. "You'll get that poor girl's hopes up unnecessarily."

"I could do far worse." Alex's eyes followed her, taking note of Orma's ass in her slinky dress. "And besides, isn't her father the admiral of the third fleet? Surely he would be a useful ally in the next appropriations battle?"

Horace's eyes narrowed. "You did review the dossiers."

"I skimmed some of them. Don't tell Erina."

"The Lady Deena of Ashnan," the tribune bellowed.

"Dee?" Alex's head snapped around as his eyes went to the stairs. Descending the staircase was a woman he only slightly recognized: the long blond hair and green eyes were the same, but everything else had changed since he had last seen her. Her gown was a pale gold, her creamy shoulders bare. The neckline was nearly scandalous, but Alex couldn't complain as his eyes skimmed from her cleavage, along her slim throat, to her slightly parted lips. Alex found himself speechless for a long moment as he looked into her sparkling green eyes. Gods, those eyes!

"I hardly recognize you," were the first words he said as he took her offered hand in both of his, kissing it lightly.

"I suppose I have grown up a bit since last time, yes," she replied lightly, a blush coloring her cheeks. "You too, I must add. I don't remember you being so... broad."

This got a full laugh out of Alex.

"It's so good to see you." Alex was still gripping her hand tightly in his. He really wanted to give her a hug, but such a breach of protocol would probably cause an interstellar incident. "How was your trip? I remember the cruise to Ashnan always seemed endless."

"Well, the planets aren't any closer than they used to be, if that's what you're asking. But I managed. Caught up on my reading at least." Deena silently fumed, chastising herself for such a bland comment.

"Oh, reading," Alex said wistfully. "Do they still write books that aren't strategic assessments and trade documents? Do they really?" Deena laughed, remembering how Alex used to make her laugh even when they were children.

"If you find those tedious, I could lend you some grain manifests, or possibly genetic analysis on pest infestations? I assure you, they challenge the very definition of the term."

"I don't doubt it. And how fares your world?"

They spoke briefly, exchanging news from their families. As three minutes turned to four, however, Horace leaned forward and cleared his throat. When Alex ignored him, Horace couldn't help but smile.

"Your highness."

"Oh yes, my apologies," Alex said, more than a little flustered. "Official duties. Save a dance for me?" he asked, his smile hopeful.

Deena felt her stomach leap. "Of course, my lord," she said, curtsying and continuing down the line.

The tribune announced the next girl, but Alex's mind was elsewhere. He hadn't seen Dee since forever, hadn't thought of her in years; seeing her like this bought all sorts of memories and feelings back to him. He remembered playing tag in the barnyard with a squealing young girl. He remembered learning how to climb a tree. He remembered her holding him as he wept...

"My lord?" Horace asked from behind him, bringing him back to the present.

"Yes, my apologies. It's so lovely to meet you," Alex said automatically to another pretty young lady, returning to the task at hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It appears you have us all at a disadvantage, my dear," the Lady Drusis said, her tone light but her eyes hard. "And how is it that you know the Crown Prince?"

Everyone noticed the way Alex had reacted to her and the speculation took off from there. Deena could see the headlines on the Cortex already: Daughter of obscure duke ensnares Prince Alex! Palace in uproar!! She groaned inwardly at the thought.

"His father, the king, and my father were old friends from their Academy days," Deena began. "When Al... When the Crown Prince was a child, he would be sent to summer with our family on Ashnan. He was very young, maybe nine years old that first summer... anyway, for the next four years the Prince would come and stay with us on the plantation in Eregra, in the North Country. I'm only a year younger than he, so we fell in together when he was there."

"Oh, how darling," the brunette said, digging into the word like it was the cutest thing she had ever heard. "So you were playmates, then? How delightful." The other ladies tittered at the veiled insult.

"Yes, I suppose we were," Deena responded, turning to the taller woman. "Unfortunately, during his fourth summer with us, that was the year his father and brother were killed. Prince Alex was rushed back home and... well, that was his last summer with us," Deena said, unable to hide her emotion.

"Oh, how terrible," Lady Orma offered, her sadness genuine. "I remember I cried for two days when it happened. Prince Donald was so young..."

"Oh yes," Drusis agreed, her face somber. Her smile returned quickly as she turned back to Deena. "I suppose it wouldn't have done to have the new Crown Prince tromping around a plantation out on the rim, neh?"

Deena's smile turned ice cold. "No, I suppose it wouldn't. Excuse me." She turned on her heel and stalked away from the group. The party was in full swing, with circles of nobleman and ladies discussing the day's affairs.

But all Deena could remember was that day, more than a decade ago, when Alex's father and brother were killed in a freak shuttle crash. She remembered it as if it was yesterday.

~~~~~~~~~

"Prince Alex! Alex!!" Duke Armus called to Alex from the fence, waving his arms to catch the young man's attention. He succeeded, Alex pulling his horse to a stop. Deena stopped beside him, looking over and seeing her father standing with a retinue of Alex's guards.

"What is it? Don't tell me he's worried about lightning or something." Alex didn't even try to keep the annoyance from his voice. "Those clouds are still hours off."

"Perhaps it's matters of state, milord," Deena teased as they turned and trotted to the fence line.

"What's the matter?"

"Get down from there, your highness. There's been... I need to tell you something," Armus sad gruffly, opening the gate and holding the horse's reins as Alex dismounted.

"What is it? What's wrong?"

"Prince Alex, your..." Armus paused for a moment, releasing a held-in breath. "There's been an accident. A shuttle crash." Alex's hand dropped from the horse's side, his jaw tightening as he prepared for the blow. "Your father and brother were both killed, your majesty."

Deena couldn't keep the gasp of shock inside, covering her mouth in a vain attempt to keep quiet. She looked from her father, his face ashen, to Alex, who didn't appear to have even heard the news.

"I... Donald? Donald's dead?"

Armus nodded.

"And... And Father?"

"Yes, your highness. I'm so terribly sorry," Armus said softly.

Alex nodded, his jaw still clenched. He began blinking furiously, and Deena could tell he was trying with everything he had not to cry.

"I... I see. Thank you, Armus, for notifying me," Alex bit out mechanically, turning to hide his face from the gathered men. "I... I suppose I'll have to return to Liada Prime for the... for the funeral," he choked on the last word, his hand going to his mouth.

"My lord, perhaps we-" but before Armus could finish Alex had broken off in a full run, racing to the barn. The guards were about to race after him, but Armus waved them off. "Leave him for now, at least. Deena, I... Deena?"

Deena was racing after Alex, tears streaming down her face. She reached the barn a few moments after him, pulling the heavy door shut behind her as she slipped in. She could hear Alex in the loft above her and quickly scaled the ladder, finding him on his knees, his shoulders heaving with his sobs.

"Oh Alex I'm so sorry," she said as she rushed to him, hugging the older boy from behind as he crumbled. He slumped to the side and would have fallen to the floor if Deena hadn't caught him, cradling his head in her lap as he wept, howling in his grief. "Alex, Alex, it'll be okay, shhh..."

Deena wasn't sure how long they stayed like that, with Alex crying in her lap, but she was surprised when a heavy hand settled gently against her shoulder. Glancing up, she saw the guard's commander as he moved to kneel beside her.

"Alex?" His voice was a gentle rumble, not the harsh commander's bark it usually was. "My lord, we must return to the homeworld. The shuttle is waiting."

"But Horace, I... Father, Donald, they're dead!" Alex moaned, his face still hidden in Deena's lap.

"They are. You are Crown Prince now, Alex, and you are needed at the palace. Your people need you. Your mother needs you."

That seemed to reach Alex. He rose from Deena's lap, wiping at his eyes and regaining his composure. As he stood, Deena stood with him, her own tears still flowing. Alex took a deep breath and slowly released it before nodding to Horace.

"This way, majesty," Horace said, indicating the ladder.

Alex nodded once before his eyes flicked to Deena. He opened his mouth to speak, but stopped, only nodding to her before going to the ladder.

"My lady." Horace bowed deeply to her before following his master down the ladder and back to Liada Prime.

And that was the last time she saw Prince Alex.

~~~~~~~~~

Deena shivered, forcing herself to stay calm and not to cry. She grabbed a flute of sparkling wine from a passing platter and downed most of it in one gulp. She glanced to her right and saw Alex in the center of a group of women, all of them laughing at whatever he was saying. As she watched, the horrid Drusis forced herself into the circle close to Alex.

Gotta hand it to her, the bitch works quickly. Deena grabbed a second flute and looked around the ballroom, her mood quickly turning sour.

"You should slow down, my dear. The night is still young," someone said from behind her. Deena turned and was stunned to see the Queen herself before her. Deena had only met her a few times when she accompanied Alex one summer, but Queen Beatrice's bearing hadn't diminished with age. A light silver circlet adorning her head, Beatrice was every inch the monarch, radiating calm control and, yes, power from her every pore.

"Your Highness," she said, quickly curtsying.

"I could not say so earlier, but it was a pleasure to see you here this evening. A reminder of simpler times," she said, lightly touching Deena's arm. "I remember spending long afternoons wandering the peach orchards on the eastern slope. So calm and peaceful, the scent of peach blossoms in the air," she smiled lightly at the thought. "Happier times."

"Yes. I often go there to ride," Deena was happy to be speaking on such a familiar topic. While primarily her father's responsibility, she had become more and more involved in the management of her family's vast agricultural holdings. As they spoke, Deena glanced over to Alex, and was surprised to see him looking back at her, a slightly amused look on his face. "But yes, happy times."

"Yes indeed." An aide whispered in her ear. "Yes of course. My apologies, I must go. But before the week is out I would love to sit with you. Would you take tea with me tomorrow afternoon?"

"Of course, your Highness," Deena agreed, bowing slightly. The Queen moved off, discussing something with her aide. Before Deena knew what was happening, she was pulled into a lively conversation with several Barons and generals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the other side of the Great Hall, Alex's diplomatic skills were being put to their greatest test. No less than eight prospective mates surrounded him, and it was up to him to manage their expectations, be charming, cordial, while at all times remain aloof and noncommittal (and by the Maker he couldn't be caught looking at their tits).

"Well I must say I haven't had the pleasure," he said, stalling for time, "but I've heard nothing but praise for the beaches of Unpau."

"Oh yes. The volcanic sands are so fine, like silk," the girl to his right said, her tongue doing delicious things to the word silk. Her dark hair was up in a tight bun, accentuating her long neck and her deeply tanned shoulders. In fact, her entire body looked to be a lustrous caramel, without a mark or blemish upsetting the smooth flesh. Alex didn't have any trouble believing that she knew from the beaches of Unpau. "There's nothing better than laying out during second dawn. The warm sands feel delicious against your skin," she said, absently brushing the upper slope of her breast. Alex forced himself to maintain eye contact. Damn, she's good.

"Oh, I couldn't agree more my dear," said the tall brunette to his left, the Lady Drusis. "I visited your world two summers ago, had the grandest time. I especially love how free your people are with their... how shall we say, appetites?" she tittered. "I'm certain such... vulgarity doesn't extend beyond the lower classes, neh?"

"Oh of course," the tan girl, Altia, responded, completely unfazed. "No more than the questionable hygiene of the women of Ix, I'd imagine."

A flush of anger was Drusis's only reaction. Alex desperately looked around for an escape and as the band began to play, he found it.

"Excuse me, please," he said as he struck out from the group, quickly heading across the floor, draining his wine and depositing it with a passing servant. "A dance, my lady?" he asked as he reached his targeted group.

"Yes, of course," Deena replied, unable to stop the flush from warming her cheeks.

Alex took her hand and led her to the dance floor, pulling her into an easy waltz, making sure to keep the appropriate distance between them as they moved.

"I seem to remember a time when you couldn't be bribed into dancing with a girl," Deena said quietly, knowing they were being observed by everyone in attendance.

"In my advanced years I have learned to appreciate the pleasure. I see the Lady Sophie is pleased to see me."

Deena glanced over his shoulder on their next turn, seeing her mother practically hopping with joy to see her with Alex. "Your highness, I believe you've just made her... several months, I imagine."

"Oh? She's taken this week quite seriously then."

"Only a little," Deena said with a laugh. "She gave me prepared conversation topics to entertain you. Show you my intelligence and wit."

"Anything good?"

"Not terribly. Want to discuss the Tritium Council's edicts on taxation?"

"Which ones? The standard edicts they reaffirm biannually, or the secondary edicts they enact on a quarterly basis, conforming to market trends?"

Deena paused. "Clearly my mother's briefing didn't prepare me in full."

Alex laughed aloud, drawing intrigued looks from their fellow dancers. "By the way, thank you for rescuing me."

"Really? I think it's you who rescued me. I didn't realize you could discuss interstellar politics in such detail for so long without losing your mind." Glancing about, Deena noticed a few more couples joining them on the floor. "Why did you need rescuing, my lord? You appeared to be in an enviable position."

"Oh?" Alex asked as he turned her quickly to the music, delighted to find her light on her feet.

"Come now. What man wouldn't want to be sought after by the finest ladies of the system?"

"You know, I've been hearing that all week. And I suppose being sought after by the finest ladies in the system would be enjoyable. Those women, however," Alex indicated the group he had just escaped with a subtle point of his chin, "are a bunch of conniving harpies."

Deena laughed at that, a bit too loudly.

Alex smiled. "It really is good to see you again, Dee."

Deena blushed. "No one's called me that in years." Glancing at the other women, Deena could see several of them looking their way with barely concealed venom in their eyes. "You know you're going to get me in trouble, Alex."

Alex smiled. He knew it was a breach of protocol for her to address him by name, but he really didn't give a damn.

"How so?"

"Everyone will think you've taken a fancy to me. The 'harpies' as you call them won't take kindly to the competition."

"You sound like someone who doesn't believe herself to be in the competition," Alex said, his eyes searching her face. Deena looked away, embarrassed. "You should consider changing that assumption, my lady."

They finished their dance in silence, Deena left too stunned to speak. As the song ended, she quickly escaped from his grasp, moving as quickly as she could into the crowd.

---------------------

"It was worse than bad, Erina," Alex said as he unfastened his uniform's rigid tunic. "I've been standing for the last seven hours, and was dancing for almost three of them. I've drunk waaaay too much... and why didn't anyone stop me from eating those little cream puff things?"

"Why should we have stopped you? They were delicious."

"They sure were, that's why I think I ate three dozen of them. I feel horrid," Alex groaned, rubbing his stomach.

"Well, your gastro-intestinal crisis notwithstanding, everything went off without a hitch." Erina consulted her omnipresent datapad. "All stations are reporting green, all guests are either in their suites or out of the palace. So that's that," she said as she produced another datapad and tossed it to Alex. "So?"

"So what?" He looked over the pad. "Oh, yes. Dossiers."

"This morning you agreed that after meeting the prospective ladies you would go over a trimmed-down list. So who gets cut?"

"You're heartless!" Alex laughed, opening the master list and immediately flagging names. "The Eridani princesses ..."

"You know that's impossible. It was a nice gesture from them, but they would be too much of a security risk."

"It's a shame," Alex said as he marked their names. "The younger one struck me as something of a tigress."

svenjolly
svenjolly
343 Followers