Stealing My Heart Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The werewolf she knew as Marco had told her they had seen her kissing Xavier in the stairwell so she knew they were watching her. And although she longed to run out and use the pay phone to call Xavier she couldn't make herself go out into the inky darkness once again. How many of them were still out there? Jordan was not easily shaken and part of her was furious at herself for letting the fear take over. But another part reminded her it wasn't everyday you learned werewolves were after you.

Clutching the business card Xavier had given her with his personal number scrawled across the back Jordan paced before her window. She had drawn the curtains so that a sliver of moonlight was allowed in the room. She didn't want anyone to be able to look in on her but she wanted to know the moment the sun came up. She had tried to settle down and sleep but the aches and pains of her wounds coupled with the frightening images appearing when she closed her eyes prevented her from even a slight doze. So Jordan paced, the minutes rolling by slowly on the cheap alarm clock.

When the morning sun's warm rays finally touched her window Jordan threw back the curtains searching for any possible threats lingering in the daylight. Seeing none she took a deep breath, eased the door open, and sprinted across the empty space to the vandalized payphone. Her heart beat raced as she continued to scan the parking lot, listening to the phone ring.

"Hello?" the familiar yet groggy voice seemed to have an immediate calming effect on her. Just hearing him made some of the fear dissipate.

"Xavier?" she couldn't help the shaking in her voice.

The voice on the other line was suddenly alert. "Jordan? Kitten what's wrong?"

"Xavier, I need you," she said her voice so thick with tears she could barely get out another word. "Please," she pleaded quietly hating the weakness in her voice.

"I'm on my way. Don't worry Sweetheart. I'll be there," the promise gave her courage.

"Thank you," she whispered before she hung up and hurried back to her room.

-------------

The vibrations of his phone shook Xavier out of his doze. After leaving Jordan he had returned to finish the work Eva had neatly arranged for him on his desk. The first few hours were torture his thoughts continued to stray to Jordan and the kisses they had shared. His wolf ran wild in his mind replaying the feel of her writhing body against his and the sweet scent of her arousal. His wolf was trying to punish him for leaving his mate after her obvious submission. When his wolf began inventing new erotic fantasies starring Jordan, Xavier growled in frustration and mentally wrestled with his wolf until we lay down in the back of his mind. It took another hour but he was finally able to get some work done. Xavier was nearly done when he had dozed off, his head resting on the desk.

The call from Jordan brought fear to his heart. He could hear the shaking in her voice and his wolf sensed fear from their mate. Jumping up he pulled on some clothes and rushed out the door. Ignoring the stares of the few people awake at this hour he rushed to the car and sped away.

Getting to his mate consumed him. He barely paid attention to the few cars on the road and nearly ran over a few pedestrians in the parking lot. Double parking, Xavier took the stairs two at a time. Taking a moment to catch his breath he softly knocked on the door trying not to startle his mate.

"Jordan? Jordan it's Xavier," he called anxiously. He was surprised when the door flew open and his mate flew into his arms. He could feel the trembles sliding through her small frame as he lifted her up and stormed into her room slamming the door behind him. Taking a seat on the edge of the bed Xavier held his mate close.

Anguish and fury clashed with deep feelings of relief. His mate was safe in his embrace, alive but terrified. He had no idea what happened to her but he had briefly seen her bruises and bandages before she had catapulted into him. He never should have left her he seethed. Something bad had happened his irate wolf could feel it and he was furious that he wasn't there to protect her. Holding her close as she shook Xavier began to scent his mate. Her lovely scent, though contaminated by fear, comforted him and his wolf while also assuring there was no serious damage. Mingled in with her scent was the faint smell of another shifter sending an angry rumble through his chest. Another shifter dared touch his mate? Xavier vowed to find him and make him suffer but first he needed to tend to his mate. He wouldn't be leaving her unprotected ever again.

Xavier rubbed her back soothingly as the trembling faded away. Looking up into his beautiful worried eyes Jordan blushed and began to disentangle herself from Xavier's strong embrace.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled embarrassment causing her to look away from his troubled gaze. "I'm not usually like this. I don't usually throw myself at men. And after last night I don't even know what you must think of me," standing Jordan wrapped her arms around herself missing the comfort and warmth of Xavier's arms.

Reaching for her Xavier pulled her close gently examining the wounds that covered her upper body. Bandages were taped over her arms and peeked out from under shirt. Bruises marked her once unblemished skin. Sorrow coursed through Xavier, furrowing his brow. How could he have let this happen?

"What happened?" he whispered. "Who did this to you?" Jordan was touched by the grief in his voice and all she wanted to do was comfort the man before her. She couldn't believe that he would be so distraught over her. No one had ever cared that much.

"It's okay. I'm okay" she murmured, stroking his cheek softly. Turning his head Xavier kissed her hand then drawing her in he placed a soft kiss on her waiting lips. Closing his eyes he laid his head on her chest drawing comfort from the sound of her steady heartbeat. Jordan wove her fingers through his silky hair enjoying the simple intimacy

"I shouldn't have left you. I should have been there to protect you. I will never let this happen to you again. I'm so sorry," he whispered. Xavier's eyes snapped open when Jordan's body began to shake followed by the sound of her laughter. Xavier stared at her dumbfounded as his wounded mate laughed incessantly wiping tears from her eyes.

"What's so funny?," he asked incredulously. Maybe she was still in shock.

"Well here I am, practically mauled by a werewolf and wanting to kiss another one. I mean, less than 12 hours ago I didn't even believe in werewolves and now I find one wants to kill me and the other is a fiercely protective softy. It's like I stepped into a fantasy!" Jordan's chuckles only increased as she took in Xavier's astonished expression.

"How did you know I was a werewolf?" Xavier asked.

"Marco, the guy that attacked me, said you were. Is it true?"

"Yes! But doesn't that freak you out?" he added tentatively holding his breath as he waited for her response.

Stepping between his legs she ran her fingers lovingly through his hair and down his intense face. "He said you were a shifter and a monster. While I just learned that werewolves in fact do exist, I've always known there were monsters in this world," she said looking in his emerald eyes. "You're not a monster Xavier. I know that. So why should I be afraid of you?"

Her response nearly made him choke on the breath he was holding. Could she really be so calm? He sensed no fear from his amazing mate. She just accepted him even though his kind had tried to kill her. The Goddess had given him a mate with more strength than anyone he had ever met and he would do everything he could to protect her. Drawing her down beside him he held her seemingly fragile hands in his.

"Tell me what happened." Jordan took a deep breath and went through the events that led them to that moment.

"I was so scared," she said finishing the story. "But when you were holding me everything just felt . . . better. Like I didn't need to worry as long as you were with me," she smiled.

"Are you sure you're okay," Xavier asked through a clenched jaw for the hundredth time. He was fighting not to go after the wolf Marco and kicking himself for not sensing Marco was a shifter in the shop.

"I fine!" Jordan sighed slightly annoyed. Pulling her hands out of Xavier's tight grip and looking at him straight in the eye. "Really, I'm okay now. I have a lot of questions for you though and I'm kinda hungry actually," she added with a shrug.

"You're always hungry," Xavier grinned back sheepishly. He knew is mate was resilient he just couldn't help the ever present worry. "It's still pretty early, but I'm sure we can find a café open somewhere. Let's go get you some food then I will answer all of your questions," he said getting to his feet and dragging Jordan up with him.

Leaving the motel room Xavier led Jordan to the car. He saw her raised eyebrow when she observed his SUV double parked and barely pulled all the way up.

"I was worried," he exclaimed helping her into the car.

Before he could close the door Jordan grabbed his hand. "Thank you," she professed sincerely. "No one has ever been there for me like this and I . . ." Xavier cut her off with a soft kiss.

"Anytime," he said before closing her door and running around the vehicle.

They drove around the city looking for an open café and came to Annie's Diner where they had their first date. The blinking OPEN sign called to them. The 24-hour diner had a few customers stopping by for their morning coffee but all the booths were empty. Taking a seat at the same table Jordan was bouncing with excitement. The sole waitress came to take their order eyeing Xavier but the couple was too wrapped up to notice her flirtatious attempts. When she walked away with their orders Jordan was about to burst.

"I don't even know what to ask first," she gushed.

"Well how about I just tell you," he beamed at her excitement.

"Sounds good,"

"OK. I was born a werewolf. Everyone in my family is a shifter. The community I live in that I told you about is made up of all wolf shifters, including my friends that you met earlier this week."

"You mean Eva, Tomas, and Derek? They're all shifters?" she asked in amazement.

"Yes. And I am the Alpha," he said. "It's like the leader. I am in charge of making decisions and protecting the pack," he clarified at Jordan's silent question.

"How many shifters are there?"

"In my pack there are about 200. But there are 3 other smaller packs in this area with 150 for fewer. The city is our neutral ground." Xavier continued to talk telling Jordan about the things he couldn't share with her before. It still amazed him how easily she accepted everything. He told her about his pack members and what it was like being a wolf and Jordan's attention never wavered. Even when the food came her pancakes stayed mostly untouched as she listened intently and asked questions.

The 8 am breakfast rush had just begun when Xavier looked up and noticed they weren't alone in the diner anymore. Glancing back at Jordan he caught her trying to stifle a giant yawn. Leaving cash on the table he beckoned for Jordan to follow him out of the diner. He took her arm as she stumbled along, exhaustion finally taking hold.

They sat silently in the car on the way back to her motel room. Xavier watched Jordan adoringly.

"So do you have any other questions?"

"The men outside the conference center, were they shifters?" Jordan asked thoughtfully.

Xavier looked at her in surprise. "Yes. How did you know that?"

"I knew something was going on that I didn't quite understand," she answered. "Why were you so upset?"

"That was Terrance and his betas," he said gruffly pulling up to the motel. He waited until they were walking back to the room to continue his explanation. "Terrance is Alpha of one of the other packs. We were having a meeting about some recent problems. He's bad news. I didn't want him around my mate," he said following her into the room.

"Your mate? You mean Eva?"

"No, I mean you," he replied gathering her into his arms. "You are my mate Jordan," he said looking into her warm hazel eyes and letting her delicious scent soothe him.

"What does that mean?" she asked cuddling into his warmth.

Sitting her on the bed he knelt before her and tried to calm his nerves. It was one thing to accept him as a werewolf. Could she accept him as her lifelong mate? Would she feel the mating pull enough to want to join him as a shifter and be his queen?

"Our goddess creates a mate for every shifter. A mate is someone who completes their soul and will love them unconditionally. Every shifter has one person in the world who is their perfect mate"

"Like a soul mate?" Jordan asked skeptically.

"Yes, but it's so much more than that. For a shifter our families and our pack mean everything to us. We would literally die for our pack members if necessary. But we live to love and protect our mates. Without our mates we might as well die. From the time we are old enough to understand we search for our mates and when a shifter loses their mate the pain is usually too much for them to handle and they die shortly after. From the moment I saw you Jordan, I knew you were my mate and I fell in love with you. "

Jordan stood and paced the small room. She wanted to believe everything she was hearing. The idea of a mate seemed more fantastical than the idea of werewolves. Jordan had never been truly loved before, not by a parent or friend. What she thought was love had always been deceit. Now standing here, this werewolf was promising her everything she had every wanted. Her heart told her to give in and let him love her while her brain told her it couldn't possibly be true. Nothing is as good as it seems.

"How can you be so sure? How do you know I'm your mate?"

Xavier stood looking directly in her eyes. "My human half desires you. I want and need you with every fiber of my being. But wolf can sense you. While I may have been attracted to other women before I met you my wolf has only ever wanted you. You will be the only woman for us for the rest of my life."

It sounded so wonderful to Jordan. "Can I see your wolf?"

"Of course. He has been waiting to meet you all week. Although you might want to get on the bed, there isn't much space in here." While Jordan arranged herself on the bed Xavier began removing his clothes. He strongly reminded his wolf that this was not the time to claim their mate as he began to wriggle and salivate with anticipation.

Jordan blushed when Xavier stood before her naked but remained silent when she remembered Marco's shredding clothes. She couldn't help licking her lips when she saw his warm tan skin and firm muscles. His wide pectorals led her eyes deliciously down over his taut abs and strong thighs her arousal evident in her dampening panties. When she saw his large cock her eyes shot back up to his face in embarrassment.

"So are you going to shift or was this just supposed to be a strip tease?" she snapped mortified by his knowing smirk.

Xavier began to shift. The change occurred slowly and held a grace and power that was absent from her previous experience. The shift seemed to flow naturally through his body until a large wolf stood before the bed. Xavier could see the shock on Jordan's face. Thinking he scared her he sat down, lifted his massive front paws onto the edge of the bed and laid his head down on them.

Jordan was amazed, he was a glorious wolf, regal even in this nonthreatening pose. He coal black fur seemed to shine while his eyes gazed at her. Those green eyes unmistakably belonged to Xavier. Carefully, Jordan crawled to the waiting wolf holding out her hand. When his long tongue snaked out and licked her she laughed making the wolf's tail wag as he jumped up on the bed beside her.

Jordan couldn't stop the grin that was plastered on her face. She was right. Xavier was not a monster. Wrapping her arms around the wolf she buried her face in his soft fur and stoked him in adoration earning a happy rumble. In that moment Jordan squashed any negative thoughts about Xavier. She couldn't put her finger on it but she knew this was right. She would be his mate.

The girl and wolf sat nuzzling each other affectionately. Xavier delighted in Jordan's embrace. He and his wolf could feel the happiness flowing through her. When her breathing slowed and her arms slackened he realized just how tired she must be. Shifting back to his human form he laid her down softly and climbed off the bed.

A whimper caught his attention as he pulled on his pants. "Don't leave me," she mumbled reaching for him sleepily. Rounding the bed he brushed her wild hair back and kissed her lips.

"I just need to make a phone call. Then I promise I will come back to you." Jordan nodded as Xavier caressed her cheek. Grabbing his phone he stepped outside. Derek was relieved to hear his voice the omegas that had seen Xavier's departure had him worried that something was wrong. And when Xavier hadn't picked up his phone Derek and felt a small panic. Assuring him everything was just fine now Xavier filled him in on the details and swore they would both be at the barbeque that evening. Derek congratulated him before hanging up and going to inform Eva about the news.

"You're back," Jordan mumbled almost incoherently as Xavier got into bed beside her.

"I promised I would, didn't I?"

"Yea. I love you mate," Jordan said sleepily.

Xavier's heart soared at her words, his wolf howling happily with her acceptance. Wrapping in his arms Xavier pulled the blanket over them.

"I love you too," he whispered in her ear before cuddling close to her. Closing his eyes they both finally got the rest they needed.

12