Stepping through the Hedgerow

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Myhands316
Myhands316
1,184 Followers

They had walked back into their room. "When do I meet your mother? What about my mother and sister? When can they meet you?" He sat her down and hugged her, his mind swirling with thoughts of in-laws and family fights.

"Please don't close your mind to me now. I don't like not hearing your thoughts." She said and stroked his face.

"I'm not doing it on purpose. I was just thinking hard." He leaned his head against hers.

"Ah, I see now. Yes that might be a problem. Um, I hate to ask, but who does this land belong too?" She kissed him. She never got her answer as they started another dance.

The weeks passed as their love grew. They made love when and where they felt the urge. First it was in every room of the house. Then outside in the swing, in the pool under the waterfall where they shared their first kiss. They walked around nude most of the time as she showed him hidden treasures of the forest.

One evening after dinner, she straddled him at the table and rode him until the magic burst out and in. She knew they started life. She wanted to tell her mate but they heard someone coming up the stairs to the house. They ran, giggling like errant children to their room, looking for clothes as the door burst open.

"Mike... where are you. It's been almost a year. Why haven't you called?" He heard his mother's voice.

"I hope you are ready to meet my family." He smiled at his mate.

"Ready or not...." Estelle tried to say as she pulled her tunic over her head.

"Michael Patrick Sparks.!" His mother called. "I know you're here I've talked to the Sherriff's office."

"I'll be down in a minute." He shouted and kissed Estelle. "Give me five and then come meet them."

"Is he here mom?" His sister called as she came in.

"I think we caught him napping." His mother said and then gasped.

"Mom, Kelly... what are you doing here?" He asked as he came into the great room, tying his robe closed.

"What happened to you? I knew it was a bad idea to leave you here all alone." His mother gasped at the sight of her son. He looked like a scruffy haystack.

"How's it going Bro?" Kelly asked looking for the depression she had seen in him before. "Other than the reports mom has badgered out of the Sherriff's office, that you are here and still alive... We haven't heard shit from you." She came up and hugged her brother. If she was shocked by his long hair and scruffy beard, she didn't let it show. "So, what's new and exciting in your life?"

"I'm surprised she didn't have my checking account tagged." Michael smiled.

"I bet she tried." Kelly smiled back and kissed her brother. It was the first smile she had seen on his face since before he went overseas.

"The bank wouldn't let me. I've made sure I put some extra in your account if you needed it... Mike." His mom huffed.

"I love you too mom and I've told you, I prefer Michael." He kissed his mom's cheek.

"And why haven't you called?" She asked again.

"Been kinda busy actually." He smiled.

"Doing what?" His sister asked sniffing the air.

"Healing, resting, and looking at new things in the forest. Finding someone to love." He smiled at their shocked looks.

Estelle timed it perfectly. She smoothed down her smock and walked out. "Michael, are you going to introduce me?" She asked looking into his eyes.

He ignored the gasps. He felt the same way the first time he saw her. "Estelle, this is my mother, Adele, and sister, Kelly Sparks." He reached for her and sighed as their hands clasped. "Mom, Kelly, this is the love of my life, Estelle. I wouldn't be here today if I hadn't met her."

"Adele, Kelly, it is nice to meet you." Estelle rubbed her stone. "Kelly, thank you for protecting Michael, when he could not protect himself. Adele, I hope you don't mind, but I'm very much in love with your son." She said with her heart in her eyes.

"And we thought to surprise you...!" Kelly said under her breath as her mother gaped like a fish out of water.

"Michael, please help your sister get the supplies they brought. Your mother and I would like some privacy while I fix them something to eat." Estelle said before kissing her mate and pushing him to obey. Michael went without complaint, knowing his mate would smooth over any ruffled feathers.

"Damn Mike, where in the fuck did you find her?" Kelly asked as they walked to their mother's car.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you. Oh, and by the way, she doesn't like the word fuck. So please don't use it around her."

"Damnnn, you've got it bad. That cunt Susan would be so insanely jealous if she saw her. What's with the white hair? She not an albino, the eyes are wrong."

"It's just part of her. It makes her special. She's different than any woman I've ever met sis. I would've never thought I'd meet someone like her, let alone have her love me like she does."

"So, when's the wedding?" Kelly smiled.

"We have to talk to her mother first. We're already mated but there are formalities before the wedding. This is forever sis."

"What... huh...? I was joking!" She spun on her brother. "Aren't you moving a bit fast after Susan? How do you know she won't do the same thing? How can you trust her?" She pressed.

"She was a virgin the first time we made love. I am the only man she has known and will ever know if I have a say about it. This isn't about getting laid. It was over a month from our first kiss to... well you know. Give her a chance and she will show you why I love her so much."

Kelly sat on the pole swing and crossed her arms. "Okay, now I've gotta know. How did you meet that striking woman and where the hell is the depressed man I dropped off here ten months ago?"

"I was walking to the tall cliff. I wanted to join my buddies when the storm broke. She found me hiding under a tree. She knew what I wanted to do and refused to let me do it." He started telling his sister the story of how they met. By the time he was done, he wiped the tears out of her eyes.

"Damn, how did you get so lucky? And she puts up with your attitude?" Kelly could see the love in her brother's eyes. Something she never saw when he used to talk about Susan.

"She gives as good as she gets. Someday I'll tell you of our first argument and how we ended up kissing in a tree." He laughed. "Let's get this stuff in. Estelle just said they are done talking."

Kelly looked at her brother as he gathered up the bags of stuff. She continued to watch him as they entered the house. In the now spotless kitchen, her mother was hugging Estelle with tears in her eyes.

"Thank you so much. I can never.... Welcome to the family." Adele sniffed. "I could use a cup of tea if you don't mind." Estelle just smiled and sat Adele down in the closest chair.

Kelly had to admit, they looked like a couple in love. Not that she could ever understand what Estelle saw in her brother. But then again, it was her brother, so she wouldn't see it anyway. She just hoped they knew what they were doing.

***

It was a week later when things changed. They had just finished making love and were laying in each other's arms when her mother, the Queen, called. "Estelle, what have you done?"

"I have found my mate mother. We have mated and started...."

"You fool; you have released the Magic without control. The hedgerow is breaking. There is talk of war. I need you home." She demanded with regal authority.

"I will send her to you." Michael said, and startled the Queen.

"I come mother, now let me say goodbye in private." She told her mother and shut the door between them. "I'm sorry love. I must go."

"I know... when the Queen calls... I understand. I don't know how I understand, but I do. I will wait for you. If you need me, call. I will hear you." He kissed her.

"I spend a hundred years in boring lessons, but don't have enough time with my new mate." She sighed. "Walk me to the hedge."

They walked together to where they met. She kissed him at the thick brambles and then stepped through. Michael watched at about half way through, she shimmered and disappeared from his sight. He sighed and trudged back home.

Over the next month Michael, to keep himself busy, started running again. It was one part of training that he never minded. He set a good double-time pace and started getting himself in better shape. His mother and sister came for awhile to stay. They asked where Estelle was and Michael told them that she had to do something at home.

"Her mother called her back. There was some trouble. She'll be back as soon as she can." He told them one night. "I'm not worried, I'd know if something was wrong. We have this connection. I can't really explain it." He would spend his days going to the places they shared, hoping for her return.

One day, his mother came alone.

"Son, I need to ask you something." She paused just to look at her son.

"Yeah mom...?" Michael asked, wondering what his mother wanted now.

"Well, Kelly and I have been talking. I don't know if you realized it, but this land has been on the market for some time. No one so far has been able to meet our price."

"You'd sell grandpa's property?" He asked shocked.

"Well, no one but you has come up here for years and with Kelly going to college.... Your grandfather wanted it to stay in the family, but if no one was interested, well selling it just seemed like a good idea."

"Is there an offer? How much are you asking for it? I have my VA loan. I could buy it." He didn't want to think about this place going to anyone else.

"No, not really. Well, that's not true. There is an offer, but it is still under what we'd want for the land. But, we are coming up to when we have to pull it off the listing, or sign a new contract."

"Let it lapse, I'll buy it. Take it off the market now if you want too. I want it." He said troubled.

"Are you sure? You hated this place when you were growing up." His mother pushed.

"Yeah, I'm sure. I'm comfortable here. I wouldn't want a development company to come in and ruin the place." He looked around. "It needs some work, but I've come to see why Grandpa wanted the place."

"Okay, if you're sure. I'll tell Kelly and see what she has to say about it." She picked up her purse. "Well I better be going. It's a long drive back into the city." She kissed her son as she walked out to her car. "We'll see you next weekend." She said as she left.

"Okay, see you then." He waved as she negotiated the curvy driveway.

Over the next few nights, he kept having dreams of the war. He remembered the fighting, the blood spattered buildings. The dead laying in the street. He tossed and looked for Estelle in his bed. He tried reaching out his mind to hers, but for the first time all he found was blackness.

That's when he started to worry. He was so worried that he didn't feel the elation he should have when Kelly and his mom told him that the property would be signed over to his name. When they saw his lack of reaction they had to ask.

"We thought this was what you wanted?"

"It is. I'm... I'm worried about Estelle. I haven't heard from her lately and that's just not right." Michael said the concern on his face.

"How could she get word to you? You still don't have a phone or cell, not that it would do any good up here in this dead zone." Kelly asked hoping Estelle wouldn't hurt her brother.

"She has her ways." He sighed. "I really do thank you. If you need me to pay for this, let me know. I'll use my vet benefits. I earned them. I might as well use them." He took the paperwork and put it in the drawer on her side of the bed and rubbed her pillow until he fell asleep.

As he slept, he dreamed. As he dreamed, he heard.

"FATHER...! We need you."

***

"Laurel...!" He jolted awake in a cold sweat.

"No father, Laurel is sleeping under mother's heart. We are her sisters." The choral voice said in his head.

"Am I dreaming?" He asked aloud.

"No Father. We are using the power of our possibility. We don't have much time. Father, Mother needs you. Grandfather is hurt and she needs a protector. You must go through the hedge or she and we will die."

"No...!" He jumped out of bed. "How do I cross?"

"You are still partly human. You must cross where mother crossed. You must walk in her steps. Hurry father, we are fading." The choral voice dropped many voices.

Michael rummaged around, finding what he thought he might need if he had to go hiking through the woods on the other side. He wrote a quick note just in case his mother or sister dropped in like they had the habit of doing lately.

"Hurry Father, Mother is getting weak, she needs your strength." The voices called to him.

"I'm coming." He rushed out of the cabin just as the sun peaked out over the horizon. He rushed to the place where he met Estelle and looked for where she had passed. "You must walk in her steps." He told himself as he looked for her small foot print in the packed soil.

Finding what he thought might be a print. He stepped on it and stepped into the thorny bramble. As he walked through, he felt the thorns scraping every inch of his skin. He felt like he was being squeezed between two rocks as his breath wheezed out of his chest. He didn't think he would make it but called out to his mate.

"Estelle, I am coming." He cried out and pushed harder. All of a sudden he stumbled into a dark grove of trees. These trees looked different than any other he had ever seen. He stayed on his hands and knees, gasping for the cool fresh air. He felt like he had run a marathon. He looked up and saw the moon.

"Father... You must hurry, Mother's strength is waning." A set of twins stood there looking at him. "We are all that is left unless you get to mother. You have the magic, use it.

Find mother in your mind and take yourself there. Hurry father." The girls shimmered and faded.

"Finnan, Ginnan, no... I'm coming." He yelled as he tried to reach the two little girls.

"Hurry father. I will watch the hedge in your stead." A tall young man stood there.

"Blake... is that you?" He asked his mind still spinning.

"I could be. That is up to you and mother." He smiled. "Hurry Father, call to Mother and set the balance right. Only you can do it." He shimmered like his sisters and was gone.

"ESTELLE...!" He screamed in mind and body. He searched for the beautiful woman who had saved him.

"Michael...? No, He will kill you. He is mad and seeks power." He heard her thoughts in his head. "I cannot protect you and our child. He must not know. It will destroy everything I have fought for."

"Where are you, Love? I am here. Many have tried to kill me, even myself, but as you said. It is not my time. Our children called to us." He said and took deep breaths.

"In the Queens Grove." She said simply and showed him.

"I come." He said and took off running. He knew this is why he had started training again. His mate needed him. He ran as fast as he could, ignoring the branches they whipped across his scared face. Along the way, he tore off his shirt and tossed it aside. With every stride he felt Estelle stronger in his mind.

"Slow down Love, catch your breath or he will kill you as soon as he sees you." Estelle warned him as he got close.

As he took in huge gasps of air, he started hearing an angry voice in the middle of the clearing. "For the last hundred years I've heard of this overwhelming power of the Princess Estelle. Where is her power now? As always, she is weak when she needs to be strong." The voice said in a placating tone.

"I am here." He told Estelle.

"Wait, you will know when. I've missed you my love. I grow stronger just knowing you are here." She responded tiredly.

"The Queen is incapacitated by her grief for her champion. Who can blame her? She knew the price of dabbling with those humans. We need leadership. Estelle was promised me. Make her say the Marriage vows and I will take up the mantle of leadership. It is time for a strong King, rather than a flighty Queen." He sneered.

"You see how easy I keep her here in the grove. I have the strength and knowledge. I just need the elders to agree. We need a strong defense against these marauding humans. Our groves have faltered long enough. I claim what is rightfully mine. What say you? Is there anyone who would stand against me?" he asked those in assemblage.

"I stand against you." Michael shouted and walked into the clearing, looking at Estelle.

"The beast speaks." The ancient man said his thinning hair flying as he turned to face Michael. "You are nothing but a youngling, human. What do you think you can do? What is this matter to you?" He asked as he stalked toward the threat to his power.

"I am Michael. I am the chosen mate of The Princess Estelle, and the father of the child she carries. You will not have what is mine." He said as the people gasped.

"She isn't carrying a child, I would have felt it. You lie!" he spat out.

"So much for your magic, if you can't see that much. Look at her. Her belly expands with our child. She has the blessing of my family and as soon as the Queen approves we will be wed." Michael stepped between him and Estelle.

"He's her protector." Murmured through the crowd. "Look he protects her even now when he is out matched. A new protector." Swelled through the people until it was a wave of sound.

"He is a Human! They are why the hedge is breaking. Their wastrel has destroyed our lands." He spun seeing his support shrinking.

"Then challenge him." A male stepped out of the crowd. "It is you who craves this war though you have never fought in one."

"What could this youngling know of war?" He dismissed Michael like he was an errant puppy.

"I know in war, no one ever wins. I have fought in a war. How do you tell a mother that her son had been killed for no good reason? What do you tell the children wanting to be born when they cry for their parents who were killed before their time? How will they be born? I know that much about war."

"He shows the wisdom of a warrior. Challenge him or stand aside for the new Protector." A tall woman said, joining her mate against the ancient one.

"Fine, I challenge you. Take up the Protector's sword and fight me." He said and pulled out a long fine blade and looked steadily down its edge at Michael.

"What...? How churlish of you. This is the Queens grove. Even we humans know you cannot spill blood in the Queen's court." He took the sword that was handed to him. He didn't know how, but he could read the runes on the scabbard. "This is the Queen Protector's sword. I am Estelle's mate and she has yet to be crowned Queen. I will not dishonor this blade. All it would prove that you have practiced with yours and I have no skill. Let us meet the challenge with the weapons the Goddess gave us."

"A challenge of wits and wills.... I accept." He sheathed his sword and smiled.

"Michael no...! It is what he wanted. He is one of the oldest and most studied of our tribe." Estelle screamed.

Michael turned his back on the old man and walked up to Estelle. He leaned in and kissed her. "Open your mind to me Love." He showed her his plan. "If he wants war, I will show him war." He told her, ignoring the gasps from those surrounding him.

"Come youngling, let us begin. What are the tenants of war?" the old man asked.

"The most important, is to survive. Could you survive this?" Michael asked as he linked hands with Estelle. "This is how Humans make war."

He flung all his nightmares at the old man. He made his opponent be in his place as the bullets ripped through bodies. He made him feel the concussion of a five hundred pound bomb as it struck its target. He relived the day he was ambushed and watched as the gore of his friends splattered over a hundred feet away from where their bodies once sat.

Myhands316
Myhands316
1,184 Followers