Stranded

Story Info
Stranded Katherine gets help from a handsome stranger.
7.5k words
4.22
46.6k
57

Part 1 of the 17 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 10/10/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

**While this story starts slow and this chapter doesn't have any sex, for my loyal readers, I think it will be worth waiting for; I have had this particular story stuck in my head for quite some time. And until I get it out, all my other chapters are on hold. My apologies for that. **

A sudden loud rapping at the window woke me from a dead sleep, as the beam of a flashlight burned my eyes. I cried out as I lifted my arm to block it.

"Hey Miss, do you need assistance?" A voice shouted, but it was muffled and nearly carried away by the sound of the rain. I shivered as I rolled the window down just enough to hear him repeat the question. The car had died hours ago, leaving me with nothing but an old crochet blanket and a few extra layers of clothes to keep warm. My phone had no bars and then promptly died so I had planned to wait the storm out before looking for the nearest gas station.

"Do you happen to know how far the nearest auto shop is?" I asked, then realizing he couldn't hear me, I pressed my lips to the open slot and repeated it.

"It's all the way back in town and the roads have been closed due to flooding; I barely made it through myself. However...it is your lucky day. I happen to be the owner of that shop and I can tow ya to my place, it's just up the way a little; we can settle in until the roads are clear." I squinted past the bright flashlight beam and saw that he did indeed have a tow truck parked just in front of me. He wore large blue coveralls along with an embroidered patch that read Sam's Auto Repair, Sam.

"Any nearby hotels?" I asked instead. The stranger chuckled as he ran a hand through his short black hair, slicking it back with rain.

"I am afraid you are on the wrong side of the flood miss." I sighed, of course I was. I glanced back at his truck; he seemed nice, and he was inviting me, a total stranger, into his home. I felt wary about saying yes, but I didn't see I was left with any other choice unless I wanted to freeze to death.

"How-how much?" He held up his hand in protest and shook his head.

"Now, what kind of gentleman would I be if I left you stranded in this weather? You go hop on inside the cab now and warm up. I'll hook this up and we'll be on our way. Don't worry about any cost, it's free of charge." With my teeth starting to chatter, I didn't need any more convincing. I grabbed my purse and hopped out of my car, running through the downpour and climbed into his truck. Country music was playing softly on the radio and I placed my hands over the vents on the dashboard to try and warm them quicker. Strands of wet hair clung to my face and I could hear the sounds of large chains dragging across the pavement as I watched him hook up my car with practiced ease. When he finally hopped in, I was taken aback by how young he looked now that he was in the light. Even with the dark stubble on his square jaw, his cheeks still held a boyish roundness to them. Wet black hair was plastered to his forehead, his clothes were soaked and even a bit muddy, but he didn't seem bothered by any of it.

He gave me a charming smile as he shut his door then turned to face me, holding out his hand. I immediately took it, my hands feeling dainty in his large calloused ones and I found myself staring into his cobalt blue eyes; they reminded me of the ocean at night, the way the moon reflecting off the surface.

"Name's Sam. You're lucky I came along when I did, broadcast says the storm's picking up and hardly anyone takes these old roads anymore; not since they built Interstate 40 back in 57' anyways."

"I was told the speed limit didn't change much and that the scenery would be worth the small detour," I explained, beginning to feel at little more at ease. He seemed nice and well-mannered at least.

"The mountains are gorgeous this time of year. So, uh, what is your name?"

"Oh! How rude of me, I'm Katherine with a K. But you can call me Kat." I replied.

"Kat with a K, gotcha. Are you hungry, Kat? I have some stew heating back at the house." My stomach growled loud enough to be heard over the music and I laughed in embarrassment. I had skipped dinner after getting sick of all the convenient store junk food; a home meal sounded great.

"I guess that answers my question, let's hit the road." He threw the truck into drive and after a slow start we were on our way. The windshield wipers were working with maximum effort and still failing to keep the windshield clear. The music was kept at a volume high enough to fill the silence, but low enough he didn't have to shout to be heard. He asked me about my travels, a few polite questions about my life. I answered them all, grateful to have someone to talk to after days alone on the road. With my father's health declining I chose to drive home and take the summer off. Finals had been stressful last quarter and I knew that a few months away would help me get back on track.

Sam revealed his parents and sister passed and he had bought his little piece of land with the inheritance. By the time we finally reached his house the rain had turned into a light drizzle, he had a rundown two-story house. The yellow paint was chipped and faded in most areas, if it wasn't for the porch light, it might have even looked abandoned.

"Alright, we're going to have to run into the house. Just watch out for Hank." Before I could ask who Hank was, he was already out of the truck and running towards his front door. I shook my head and raced after him. Once inside I was immediately tackled by a large bloodhound who knocked me back against the door, shutting it and suffocating me in slobbery kisses. I cried out in surprise, trying to push him away but to no avail; he was too big and too persistent.

"Hank, that is not how a gentleman greets his guests." The hound stopped mid wiggle and sat down, suddenly poised as his tail slammed mercilessly on the wooden floor. Sam offered his hand and I took it, grateful for the help up.

"Sorry about that. We don't get guests very often. Hank, you should tell the lady you're sorry." At the sound of his command word he jumped onto his hind legs and kept his front paws folded in front of him as though he was pleading for forgiveness. I patted the top of his head and he jumped around a few times before settling down again.

Sam produced a bone shaped biscuit from a pocket and handed it over.

"I think the lady gets to decide if you've earned it." Hank looked back and forth between Sam and I, eyes wide, ears down as he waited patiently while licking his lips, slobber dripping from his jowls. I held my palm flat and offered it to him, smiling as he delicately picked it up and ran off to eat it.

"He is quite the character," I announced in awe. I had always wanted a dog of my own, but my father was allergic to pet dander, so I was stuck with a childhood of hairless cats and reptiles.

I followed Sam into the kitchen where he washed his hands and pulled down two bowls. The moment he lifted the lid, the scent of beef stew wafted through the house and my stomach nearly bubbled with hunger. He dished two hefty bowls, handing one to me and keeping the other for himself. With a spoon in his mouth he grabbed two cokes and motioned for me to follow with the nod of his head. He had a long dining room table, big enough to fit a family of at least 8 and he sat in the chair across from the one he set a coke at.

The chairs were intricately carved, soft fabric over the even softer cushions. I almost didn't want to get back up once I sat down. We ate in a comfortable silence as I tried my best to use the manners I had been raised with. But with my ravenous appetite I ended up finishing the bowl in mere minutes.

"Thank you, did you make this from scratch?" Sam blushed a little and nodded while managing to look humble.

"I make almost everything from scratch, tastes better that way. Please, help yourself. There is more than enough if you're still hungry. I always make more than I can eat so I can freeze the leftovers." I managed one more bowl before my stomach told me it had enough. I washed my dirty dishes and set them in the rack beside the sink to dry.

"I confess I am surprised, you have quite the manners for someone your age." I laughed as I studied Sam a little closer. He was barely half a foot taller and looked a few years older at most.

"C'mon, you can't be that much older than I am," I protested.

"Well, my father was pretty old fashioned, and I picked up some of those traits, so I guess sometimes it makes me feel older," he explained.

"I was raised that when you are a guest in someone's home, you clean up after yourself. And I really appreciate you stopping out there and offering me a place to stay, and since you won't accept my money, I can, at the very least, be a good guest." Sam grinned as he stood and took his dish to the sink, washing them and setting them beside mine to dry.

"Now that our bellies are full, let's grab your bags and get you settled in." I nodded and grabbed my keys from my jean pockets. Hank sat beside the door, nose pressed up against the gap between the frame and the door.

"It's wet out Hank," Sam warned, but Hank stood his ground. Sam shrugged and grabbed his giant yellow raincoat hanging on a peg beside the front door and handed it to me. I threw it on just as he opened the front door and my jaw dropped at the sight; the slow drizzle had become an utter downpour in the span of the short meal. Hank's ears flattened, and his tail curled and he backed away whining.

"I told you so." I couldn't help but smile at the man talking to his dog. Most people would probably find the sight of someone talking to their pet as strange, but not me, I found it kind of adorable. I lifted the hood of the coat, noticing that he had given me the only raincoat and followed him into the rainstorm. I gripped my keys tightly as the giant raindrops assaulted me from every angle. The raincoat had been a kind gesture, but it did nothing against the force of the wind and rain combined. I had to lean close just to place the key in correctly before I was able to open the trunk.

"I only need these two and my purse is inside the car." I yelled, trying to make sure he heard me over the sound of the rain. He nodded, grabbed the biggest one and went around the front to grab my purse while I picked up the second duffel bag and slammed the trunk shut. He was already heading back into the house when I felt it. A crunch as my foot pressed down onto the device. I lifted my foot and grimaced, eyes closed tightly as I tried to calm down. I shook a little as I lifted my now broken phone from the muddy ground, anger and fatigue running so rampantly I felt near tears. How many more things were going to go wrong? It certainly wasn't doing anything to help lift my mood.

Sam stood in the doorway, waving me in as he shouted across the yard.

"You're gonna catch your death out there!" I smirked even as I shook my head a little, he even sounded like an old man. I picked up my pace, sighing as I reached the warmth of the doorway.

"Everything alright?" he asked as he took the bag from my hand, reaching for the raincoat next.

"Yah, just a busted cell phone and a very, very long day," I sighed, nearly shivering from my now soaking wet clothes.

"Was that because of me? I could replace it if you'd like." I shook my head and shoved it into my back pocket, a little embarrassed at how upset I felt over a cell phone. It wasn't as if anyone called or texted me anyways. Maybe some time away from social media would do me some good.

"Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. Now about that settling in?" I wasn't about to open up to this complete stranger, I was a little more guarded when it came to my emotions.

"Right! Follow me." He led me to the right and up the staircase to the second floor which consisted of one long hallway. To the right was an open area, much like a second living room only this one had a desk and a couple of bookshelves. The one door on the wall opened up to what I assumed was his bedroom. He turned down the hallway and after passing two doors on my left, he opened the last one on the right and led me into a small bedroom.

"This is my guest room, I do get the occasional visitor from time to time, so I got some experience playing host. The door across the hall is the bathroom and it is all yours, I have my own. Towels are in the hallway closet, you can shower first." I nodded as I set my bags down and took in the sight. The twin was a canopy bed with a really outdated beige blanket covered in giant pink dahlias, with the curtains hanging from the canopy to match. He hadn't been kidding about the old-fashioned part.

"That would be great, are you sure you don't want to go first?"

"I'm sure, I got some animals I need to check on before I lock up for the night. But if you're up later I'll fix yah a cup of my grandma's special cocoa," he offered.

"Mmmm, I might just take you up on that offer, hard to say no to chocolate." He gave me another goofy grin before turning around and walking away. I moved my bags around, digging through to find the items I knew I needed, and made sure to grab a towel on my trek across the hall. It was a quick shower, I spent most the time washing away stray mud and the cold; I wanted to make sure I left enough hot water for Sam. By the time I had my pajamas on I was feeling much better. After quickly blow drying my shoulder length sunset red hair, I slipped on a pair of textile socks and padded my way back down the L shaped stairs. Hank greeted me, but I found that Sam was nowhere to be found. I called out his name as I made my way into the kitchen. To the right was the back door and another that led into what could only be the basement based on the sight of the stairs descending into the bowels of the home. I turned around and went into the dining room and took another left into the living room.

Just as I ended up right back in the foyer he opened the front door, causing me to jump and Hank to let out a warning bark. Sam chuckled as he shut the door behind him, locking it up.

"Well that was quick! I honestly was expecting you to be in there all night doing your hair and what not," he confessed.

"You should be careful, you're starting to sound a bit sexist," I teased.

"My apologies, I grew up with a house full of women, there was always one of them in the bathroom doin their hair, I didn't mean no offense by it," he swore.

Way to be a bitch, I thought to myself. Here he was offering me a home and I was scolding his every remark. I had meant it as a joke, but if my humor didn't come across then it was no wonder I didn't have friends blowing up my phone.

"In truth, I probably could spend all day in there, your water heater is AMAZING!" The heat had warmed me right up, with the help of some dry clothes, a full belly and a comfy robe.

"Installed her last week, last one finally died on me. Nearly gave myself a 3rd degree burn on the first night." he confessed.

"I was coming to tell you I was finished, and you should have some hot water left." I hugged myself, suddenly aware by the small temperature drop that I hadn't put on a bra, not that he could see anything with my robe sashed tightly around my body, but I was starting to feel self-conscious with his intense gaze aimed right at me. It felt as though he were peering into me unfazed by anything else going on around us. Apparently, I wasn't the only one lacking in social skills.

"Well thank you, that was real thoughtful." I nodded and smiled before making my way back upstairs. Once the door was closed behind me, I leaned back against it, cheeks flushed as I tried to snap myself out of it. Why did the sight of him have me acting like some swooning high schooler? Just because the guy was near my age and cute didn't mean I needed to get all weak kneed around him; but then again, I was only human. I grabbed my bunched up dirty clothes from off the floor where I had tossed them and took out my cell phone, the screen of the galaxy S5 shattered, pieces of the glass chipped and missing, spiderweb of cracks ruining the screen. I sighed as I shoved it into my duffel bag.

I would have to ask my father if he still had insurance on it, at the very least I could pick up a few extra hours in the cafeteria at school and make monthly payments on a new one. Otherwise, I might have to see what if I could find one on Craigslist. I pulled out my Laptop and opened it up, not entirely surprised when I found no Wi-Fi signal. In fact, there was no signal of any kind. What the hell did Sam do to entertain himself? I just had to hope he could fix my car quickly and I could get back on the road. Summer break was only for 9 weeks and I still wanted to be back to school in time for the fall quarter. I took a deep breath, calming myself down, trying not to let the panic take hold. One day at a time, I repeated to myself. After a several rounds of solitaire and a few of minesweeper I glanced at the clock and figured enough time had passed.

When I landed in the foyer Sam was already in the kitchen, a coffee mug in both hands. He looked up and smiled. He wore a robe of his own, green plaid.

"Terrific timing, I hope marshmallows are okay!" He approached and handed over a light blue mug.

"I wouldn't call it cocoa without them," I replied, immediately taking a sip, eyes opening wide as the heavenly liquid reached my taste buds. I had never tasted anything like it before; it seemed to combine several chocolate flavors all wrapped into one. And the ratios all seemed to blend perfectly together.

"This cocoa isn't just any cocoa. This is a recipe was handed down from my Grandmother. She spent years perfecting it; getting it just right."

"This recipe wouldn't happen to be a family secret or anything, would it?" He laughed as he shook his head.

"I'll give ya a copy before you leave, just remind me before you leave. Please, join me," he invited, motioning to the living room. To the left was the front window that pointed out to the yard, giving us a view of the storm. There were a few pots around the house that rain was currently pinging into. He moved some newspaper onto the coffee table and fluffed the couch pillow before offering me a seat. He was polite, almost too polite, but I found his presence calming.

"Do you know how long this storm is going to be?" I honestly hadn't thought to check the weather in the areas I had planned to travel through, it was my first road trip and already it was falling apart. One day at a time, I breathed.

"It's supposed to get worse as the night goes on but should clear up by morning. Depending on how the roads look, I may just back it into the garage and see if I can't just fix it here."

"Listen, before you fix anything, I am going to need to know how much it's going to cost first. It might be cheaper to scrap it and take the rest of my trip on a greyhound. Where do you keep your phone?" I had yet to see it or any modern technology around the house.

"Don't get phone service out this far. I'm lucky to get electricity if I'm being honest." I sighed, Great, so now I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere, in a storm with no way of contacting the outside world. Could it get any worse? Sam took a sip of cocoa, leaving behind a whip cream mustache that made me giggle, my worries falling away as I watched him wipe it on the back of his sleeve and leaned back into the recliner.

"So, what is your area of study?" he asked casually. I folded my legs onto the couch and leaned against the armrest, holding the warm mug in my hands.

"Psychology." My mother had suffered from mental illness and eventually committed suicide, I had grown up wanting to be someone that could help.

12