Strangers To Love Ch. 03

Story Info
A Story of Love, Revenge, Passion & Justice
1.7k words
4.48
11.9k
0

Part 3 of the 10 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 02/18/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
LadyIlsa
LadyIlsa
25 Followers

Leanna woke later in the afternoon, refreshed and worried. She wondered where James was and more importantly, she wondered what she should do. It really would help to have him here to help get the place ready to sell - if she could.

She hated the thought of moving away from this place. It had been home, refuge and sanctuary. After her mother had died and no one could find her father, her Grandfather had been a last, and some said poor, resort. At first he had been at a loss as to what to do with her. She had been so sad, crying for her mother, unable to accept that she was alone with this old man she didn't know. But slowly, he won her over. He treated her like an equal and that made all the difference. Her mother never told her anything bad about him, but Leanna felt that a falling out was why Mama had left home. She suspected it may have had something to do with her father - whom she didn't remember. He had left when she was very young and Mama never spoke of him. Grandfather never spoke of her mother except on Mama's birthday, which they celebrated every year.

Leanna stopped her musings and got dressed. She wore a white blouse and black pants tucked into good work boots, much like a man would - working around the farm in a dress was difficult at best and she and Grandfather had thought it ridiculous to try. She was as comfortable in mens clothing as women's but when out in public, off the farm or when visitors were expected, she was a perfect lady. She grabbed her hat - much like the men wore also - wide brim to shade her eyes with a rawhide tie under her chin. She also had her work gloves tucked into her back pocket. The thin chain and locket that she always wore the only truly feminine thing she wore - except her underclothes, of course. Her chemise and the knickers had been altered to wear under the pants and were a soft silk. She couldn't bring herself to wear men's underclothes. She headed to the kitchen hoping to find coffee and maybe a bite to eat.

She could hear James and Billy, laughing in the side yard. Looking out the window she nearly lost her ability to breathe.

James was shaving. Such a manly, natural thing. He sat on a low stool while Billy held a mirror. He was stripped to the waist. The muscles of his torso spoke to a life of manual work or strenuous physical activity. A towel was thrown over his shoulder and his suspenders hung down over his thighs. He had his boots off and his feet were bare.

Billy was obviously telling a joke. He kept stopping to laugh and that made James laugh too. They seemed at ease with each other and that went a long way to making Leanna trust him. Billy, despite his disability, was an excellent judge of character and not constrained by tact - he would let you know if you didn't meet his approval as 'nice'.

Leanna jumped slightly when James stood up, wiping his face with the towel and dumping the water bucket. His muscled back was broad and the skin light. There was an angry red scar that ran from below his right shoulder blade to his side ending at the ribs. It looked recently healed. She wondered about it and felt compassion for the pain he must have suffered because of the wound. He turned towards the house and she stepped back from the window to avoid being seen. She didn't want him to think she was spying on him. Turning away from the window she resumed her search for coffee.

James caught a quick glimpse of movement at the window and just knew that he had been watched and by whom. Smiling to himself, he hoped she liked what she saw. Turning back to Billy, he grabbed up the clean shirt from his bag and put it on. Billy was going on about the cows - he had named each one and knew which calf belonged to which mother. His capacity for detail amazed James. While Billy had obvious deficits, the time he took with each cow under his care was touching.

'OK, Billy. Now that I'm presentable, let's find Leanna and see what needs to be done.' Billy had found him a corner of the loft with fresh hay, a decent blanket and even a pillow. He had managed a short nap after all the morning chores had been done and felt slightly more human.

' 'k James. 'Anna should be awake now - sleepn' the day'way's not good! Ma would be yellin' at me to get my lazy butt up!' Billy giggled at the word butt - like it was a bad word but he could use it around his friend. He started to run up the stairs to the back porch, waving to James to hurry. At that moment, Leanna opened the back door.

Smiling at Billy and then at James, Leanna motioned them inside.

'I have coffee on. Is anybody hungry?'

'Me!', shouted Billy and then he laughed and looked at James, 'Ma says 'm a bottomless pit.'

'James? Have you eaten yet?', Leanna asked.

James had been unable to say a word or move into the kitchen yet. Seeing her in pants was surprising enough, but being so aware of every curve was sucking the air out of his lungs. He found himself staring at her - from the hat hanging down her back by the ties, the blouse that hugged her breasts, her narrow waist and the flare of her hips, the curve of her bottom and the way the pants clung to her well formed legs. His mouth went dry and he felt the instant response of his body to hers. Turning quickly, he started back down the stairs.

'I'll be right back....I, um, forgot something.....' and he headed towards the barn and safety.

Leanna had been so intent on not staring at him, that she didn't notice his reaction - her back turned pouring coffee. She only saw him walking quickly away but did not guess the reason.

When James got inside the barn, he took deep breaths and tried to think of anything but how she looked. This was going to be a lot harder than he had thought. Maybe he should just leave. She wasn't his problem and this had the potential for disaster. His obvious attraction to her was bound to be misinterpreted and he couldn't afford any trouble right now. Not ever again. But he had promised to help her out and he never went back on his word. So, he was going to have to find ways to avoid being alone with her and keep busy. Good thing Billy was here - he made the perfect chaperon.

With mental control established over his rebellious body, he returned to the kitchen. He entered to find Billy and Leanna sitting at the table with coffee for her, milk for him and sandwiches of roast beef on thick slices of bread. Grabbing a mug of coffee, he turned to them both.

'I'd like to start on that roof on the cow barn. Those holes will only get worse and if it rains, it will be a mess in there. Do you have any supplies? Or do I need to go to town?'

Leanna looked at him, confused at his business-like tone but too grateful for the help to show her disappointment. Maybe the feelings of closeness last night were only her fear and exhaustion at the time, not really there, merely wishful daydreams.

For the next two hours, they talked about the projects that needed to be done, supplies they would need and a division of labor. Her skills were limited, but she would do whatever he directed. Billy was excited to start and very eager to help. As it was getting late in the day, they decided to get an early start in the morning.

James was surprised when Billy stood up, gave Leanna a sloppy kiss on the cheek, shook his hand and in less than three heartbeats was gone.

'Where is he going?', James asked, concern in his voice.

'Well, home of course. His ma needs him for chores there too and usually he would have been home by now. She'll hear all about you and all the things that we will be doing. I would expect that she will come by herself tomorrow.'

'Aren't you worried about what she'll say? My being here alone with you?'

'Not really. She is very wise and will question Billy thoroughly. She'll find out that he has given you a place in the barn to sleep and that you're 'nice' and that you're his friend. That will be enough for her. Billy doesn't make mistakes when it comes to people.'

'Well. OK. I think I'll go out and check around a bit, see what needs to be done. Then try to get some sleep. I have a feeling that tomorrow is going to be a long day.'

'Do you want company?'

'No.' He said it much to quickly and Leanna felt a stab of hurt. Did he disapprove of her, of her clothes? Was he worried that she was some stupid female just looking for a husband? What? She didn't ask any of her questions, but they burned in her mind. Was something wrong with her?

James was too concerned with escaping the kitchen and the nearness of her. Her natural scent was driving him to distraction and if he intended to leave with any measure of modesty, he had to leave now!

'Well, goodnight Leanna. I'll see you in the morning.'

'Goodnight James. Sleep well.'

James doubted that, but nodded and left the kitchen by way of the back door. He walked at a brisk pace towards the corral where the horses idly ate their oats.

Leanna watched him leave with a feeling she did not understand. And suddenly, she felt more lonely than ever before in her life. Taking a lamp, she went into the main room, picked up a book. She took it to the porch, where it sat on her lap, unread, as she stared out into the deepening twilight with a sigh.

It was going to be a very long night.

LadyIlsa
LadyIlsa
25 Followers