Stray Prey Ch. 04

Story Info
Untraditional investigation methods. Got a minute?
5.6k words
4.53
20.4k
14

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 10/30/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sunshine streamed through the heavy curtains, bathing the room in a soft glow and gently tickling her cheeks awake. With a languid yawn she stretched against the warm sheets, her body relishing the delicious tingles left behind by the seduction of the night.

Oh and what a night it had been! Rosaline's sleepy eyes still lingered in her memories, so warm, close and intimate. Passion and tenderness she couldn't have imagined before, all of them united in the gentle touches and maddening kisses of one man. Her Adam. A warm tingle spread through her body as soon as her thoughts started to stir awake more and more of the delicious moments they had shared.

A persistent banging soon tore her from the early morning reverie though, her arms reaching out and clutching only the empty sheets. Rosaline's eyes popped open instantly, an ugly suspicion starting to weave its spell around her fragile heart.

"Adam?" She called out again and again.

Jumping out of the bed she raced to the bathroom, only to find the door wide open. Her vision was growing more and more blurry with every step taken.

He wouldn't ... he couldn't have left, could he? Not just like this, not without a word! Or a note perhaps! That must have been it, a note.

She raced back into the bedroom, throwing the sheets aside, checking the nightstand, turning every pillow, she even looked under the bed. With disappointment in her heart and slumped shoulders she paddled into the kitchen.

Her heart skipped a beat when she noticed the neatly set table, the pile of fresh croissants and the mug of steaming hot coffee. She wanted to dance, wanted to shout, wanted to cry in joy. Then she noticed it, a single serving. He had not intended to stay after all.

The realization made her feel dizzy and faint. He had just left. After all they had shared the previous night, the passion, the desire, empty words, probably just meant for seduction, to get into her pants the easy way. God, what a moron she had been! What an idiot to fall for his lines!

Her head throbbed painfully and the pounding only seemed to get worse with the ever so persistent banging on her front door.

"Go away!" She barked at the door angrily, yet the knocking only grew louder.

Wiping the angry tears off her face and tightened the robe around her waist, she took a deep breath and headed for the door. Whomever decided to disturb her in the middle of her most terrible morning was certainly in for the argument of his life!

"I said go away! Can't you people understand even that much!" She yelled while unlocking the bottom lock and checking the chain and bolt to be still in place.

"I won't say it again! Leave me alone, or I'll call the police!"

"That should be hardly necessary Miss, as we are already here," a smooth male voice replied from behind the badge slid through the crack of the door. "I am Special Agent Fredericks and this is my partner, Special Agent Smith. We would like to speak to Rosaline May Duke, please."

She looked back and forth between the two men, decidedly disturbed by the heavy sunglasses covering their eyes.

"May I ... may I ask what your business is with her?" She ventured tentatively.

The dark suits and the professional behavior both of the men displayed made her nervous. Her eyes traveled from the neatly cut beard of the tall Nordic bear of a man in front of her to the slight five o'clock shadow of his partner. The first one was intimidating by his size alone, never mind his smooth manners, while the latter, standing quietly behind him, radiated an intensity that made the tiny hairs stand up at Rosaline's nape.

"We are looking for witnesses, clues concerning an incident that occurred last night in the downtown area. We were hoping to speak to Miss Duke and ask her a few questions, that is all," he answered slipping off his sunglasses and revealing a most appealing pair of clear blue eyes.

His smile was easy and warm, making Rosaline feel a little bit more at ease.

"I have to apologize for such an early intrusion, we certainly don't mean to impose, Miss. It would be just a couple of question and we'll be on our way."

Downtown area, he had said. Just like the park. Whether or not that was the incident he was implying, at least they would spare her a most humiliating walk to the station, Rosaline reasoned, finally opening the door.

"I ... I am Rosaline Duke. Sorry about the yelling before. It's been just ... the stress of getting ready, the early morning rush. I ... I am not exactly used to having the police waking me in the mornings either."

She rambled on, her nerves surfacing once again. Agent Fredericks proved charming and a perfect gentlemen though, carrying on the small talk with a natural ease, gratefully accepting the coffee she offered. He had an engaging personality, perfectly balancing his professional attitude and the compassionate timbre in his voice that made Rosaline want to trust this stranger.

"So, how may I help you?" She asked finally, gathering her thoughts and taking her own seat opposite Fredericks at the small kitchen table.

"First of all, Miss Duke, I would like to emphasize that you are not under any kind of suspicion here. Suspects are taken in for investigation and are offered coffee by us, not the other way around," he explained, charming a relieved smile from her.

"Well, that is nice to hear, I think."

"Indeed. I would like to ask you to keep that in mind in the course of our conversation, Miss Duke, alright?"

"Alright."

"Good. Now, could you tell me what you have been doing last night?"

He took a casual sip of his coffee, the slight blush rising in her cheeks never escaping his attention though.

"Oh, I ... it just started as the usual Friday night routine, really."

"Meaning?"

"I was at the library, studying. I often forget about the time when there. One moment I sit down to read and the next thing I know is that they are about to close the place for the night." She explained with a nervous chuckle.

"I see. What time have you left the library then, approximately?"

"Well, as I said, it was almost closing time, so that would have been around 10 pm."

"Where did you go from there?"

"I was in a hurry. I wanted to catch the last bus home so I took a short cut through the park across the street."

"Bentley Park?"

"Yes. I don't normally like to go there, especially not after dark ... there are all kinds of spooky rumors that go around on campus about that place. I was running late though and didn't really have another option."

"I see. While crossing the Park, did you notice anything suspicious, anything abnormal?"

Glancing at the pile of croissants that were starting to get cold, Rosaline fought to evade the agent's all knowing eyes.

Telling the truth should not make her feel uneasy, should not have her heart pounding with guilt, she thought. After all, she might have been a fool to invite Adam into her home, might even have given him the wrong ideas, never really telling him to stop. The truth was she had enjoyed his attentions and didn't kick him out of her bed. He had not taken anything she hadn't offered to him willingly and eagerly, on a silver plate.

She might have been a fool to do so, but at least what the rest of the night was concerned she had a clear consciousness and nothing to hide, Rosaline's decided, finally meeting Agent Fredericks' eyes and proceeding to tell him her story.

"I am not particularly proud of that night. I guess I should have known better, in many ways. But I have decided to go to the station this morning, to tell someone. If another girl was attacked at the park tonight ... if she was not as lucky as I had been and got raped, or hurt or worse ... I could not have lived with the guilt, Agent Fredericks, you have to believe me that."

The handkerchief he handed her was immaculately white and soft against her tear strained cheeks, smelling of expensive cologne.

"Miss Duke, being afraid is perfectly normal. It takes time and patience to process the trauma that happened to you. Often many victims get so caught up in their sorrow, shame or anger that they don't even make it as far as the sincere desire to file a report, to do something to prevent the loss they have suffered from happening to others. It is more often than not the result of a long process. I think it proves you a remarkable and very responsible young lady to have come to this decision in such a short time."

Sniffing and blowing her nose, Rosaline was unable to answer his kind words but with a wary nod.

"Now, is there someone we might call for you? Someone who could come over a stay with you for a while?"

"I ... I don't think ... that is not necessary, really."

"After having been through such an attack, it can be helpful not to be alone, to have someone to talk to, someone you feel more comfortable around than some strange men in black."

She smiled through her tears, appreciating his humor and the attempt to cheer her up.

"I am fine, really. That is not necessary. In fact, I'd have it much rather if people at home and at school would not learn about this ... incident. I really just want to forget it ever happened. Please."

His smile was gentle, understanding.

"It is, of course, your decision Miss Duke. You can count on our discretion. Should something else come to mind, or should you change your mind and feel like talking to someone, you are welcome to call us."

She closed the door behind them, slipping the bolt in place with a sigh of relief, clutching the simple business card in her hand.

It was over. Finally. Over and done with.

Time for fresh start, to leave the dirt and struggles of the night that never happened behind, Rosaline decided, sweeping the croissants into the dustbin with quick efficacy. A hot shower would wash away Adam's scent and touches, her memories would fade in time, at least so she hoped.

Perhaps Fredericks was right, perhaps it was going to be a slow process to forgive herself and to forget about him. Nevertheless, she would have to try.

***

Wrapped in a fresh set of sweat pants and a faded, soft t shirt, she felt much more human again. The hot water had washed away most of her tears, the rough scrub still had her skin burning as an effective reminder and punishment for the pleasure she had found in Adam's arms.

Flipping on the TV she crashed down on the couch, absentmindedly toying with the business card, forcing her mind to go blank, scolding herself every time her thoughts started to shift to memory lane.

"Federal Agents! Open the door!"

Rosaline scrambled to her feet warily, they for sure had new questions popping into their minds fast!

"Did you forget something Agent .... oh ... Hi, may I help you?"

She starred at the badge pushed into her face for the second time that morning.

"Miss Rosaline May Duke?"

"Yes?"

"My name is Special Agent Edward Miller, Federal Law Enforcement. I am ..."

"An idiot."

Rosaline's eyes went wide as the door was pushed open by the dark haired man walking up behind Agent Miller and slapping the back of his head casually in the process.

"And a brute. For Christ's sake, Miller! Is there someone down Lancaster Street who has not heard you this morning yet?"

Pushing past Rosaline he took a quick glance around, assessing her small studio apartment first, before turning back to her.

"Got any guests, Miss Duke?" He asked with a suggestive smile, nodding towards the empty mugs on the counter.

"I ... well, no. Not anymore. Would you mind telling me who you are though? And just what makes you think you can march into my home like that?"

He flipped his badge open, throwing it onto the kitchen table and taking a seat himself.

"I'm Special Agent McAlistair, at your service." He added with a theatrical bow of his head. "And that little scarp of metal Miss, gives me the power to intrude where ever and whenever I feel like it. Though by the looks of things ... you don't seem all that reluctant to accept entry a la nature either."

"How dare you talk to me like that?! I have seen enough of those metal toys this morning and frankly, they get less and less impressive with every closer look. I want to speak to your superior right now!"

Rosaline took an exasperated look at the Agent still standing on her door step.

"Ah, for Christ's sake, Miller! Get your ass over here and shut that door!"

"Sir, is it really necessary to ..."

"Of course it is! I ain't let a greenhorn tell me how to do my job and if you expect me to treat the aid of a fugitive con like sugar pie, than you still got more to learn than meets the sorry eye that ever makes the mistake to look at your baby face. Now sit down in that corner and shut the fuck up!"

She started to inch away, towards the door, not comfortable anywhere close this brute of a man.

"Look, Special Agent one or the other. I don't care who you are and what your business is but I want you out of my apartment, right now, or I will call the real police!"

His lopsided grin only fueled her anger.

"As the lady wishes," he decided finally, "I was almost hoping that our good Miss Duke here would be more cooperative. Seems though that her cooperation is limited to those outside the laws of this fine state. Happy now Miller? Get her cuffed, we're taking her in."

***

Golden eyes scanned the lively morning street from behind the wheel of the silver SUV parked across the apartment complex. He watched her walk down the stairs, with hands cuffed behind the small of her back, the baby faced officer leading her to the dark agency car. Her look was defiant and stubborn, betraying the fear he could smell radiating from her, despite the Chinese restaurants fool odors next to them.

"What an asshole!" Quentin hissed, his eyes fixed at the rugged looking man walking behind them with a mug of coffee in his hand.

"Easy, kid. We are steps ahead of them no matter how much of a show they put on."

"Parading her around in cuffs like some beaten dog! Does that sorry prick need that to get it up or what?!"

"If I may remind you, you were the one who couldn't control his urges, thus caused all the mess we are trying to clean up here and got the girl involved in the first place. Now keep quiet and be an invisible tail."

"Whatever for? They are taking her in, that is more than obvious, isn't it?"

"Mac may have the asshole act perfected but he is for sure not dumb. Hands off the girl but keep following her and learn, pup."

Gritting his teeth Quentin rolled up the window and obliged. Amelia had enough reason to kick him out of the clan if she decided to and trying Bruce's patience was most likely not helping his cause either. With a reluctant grunt he pulled out of the parking lot, his eyes fixed on the federal plate in front of him.

Bruce stroked his beard thoughtfully, taking a comfortable seat at a window table and ordering a Chop Sui. Flipping his cellphone open he leaned back in his seat, his voice soon getting lost in the crowd.

"You were right I am afraid. Very similar scent, suspiciously familiar bloodline. The girl knows nothing though, didn't even recognize him this morning. Just a frightened little thing, good morals, poor self control when it comes to carnal attraction it seems. She had the stray's scent all over her, like a marked bitch in heat, I was afraid for a moment that Quentin might jump and take her right then and there in his bout of jealousy."

Amelia's chuckle sounded melodic and empty to his ears.

"I don't mind him squirming, he for sure could use a lesson in self control."

"A lesson is only one if he learns something from it, torture is not very educational."

A long pause followed. She didn't take kindly to being opposed to, Bruce was all too aware, but having changed her diapers gave him the distinct advantage when it came to speaking his mind unpunished.

"I don't have time for your semantics old man, where is Quentin now?"

"Following the girl, your pet agent put on quite a show of taking her in. I've stayed at the apartment in case the stray shows up again. Have you not changed your mind?"

"No. He is to be killed, on sight. I'd prefer if it was Quentin doing it but the way things are at the moment, I may need him here to keep Dominic busy and out of line."

"You would prefer it if they killed each other, Quentin and the stray, wouldn't you?"

"Oh, not a bad idea old man. I never knew you were so deliciously cruel and calculating. I have little use for careless risk factors. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem like a realistic option right now."

With a heavy heart and wary sigh Bruce thanked the waitress bringing out his meal.

"I can only hope then to never become your prey. Think it over, child. There is still time. I'll let you know how things are progressing soon enough."

Amelia remained still in her office for long minutes after the line had gone dead. Her thoughts lingering on the shattered hopes that kept her awake during the night. Bruce had her suspicion confirmed though, a similar scent, the same bloodline, triggering memories of that fateful night, buried in the deepest, darkest recess of her mind, where neither Dominic nor anyone else could reach.

Waiting. Sitting around helplessly, doing nothing. Waiting for the phone to ring. It was none of her fortes. Her patience was soon wearing thin. She had to act, to do something before she was going mad with worry.

***

"Why do I have this feeling that you are still wasting my time, Ms Duke?"

The annoying man hovered above her with mounting anger, his patience obviously slipping away.

"But it is the truth, I swear!"

He had driven her at the brink of exhaustion, they had been past the tears about an hour ago.

"Are you really expecting me to buy such a fairy tale? The big, bad wolf attacking Little Red Riding Hood in the dark, deserted park and a knight in shining armor coming to her rescue? Oh please! What kind of a role playing game was that? Who is the guy playing the wolf in the story?"

"I don't know! How many times do I still have to tell you this? I don't know!"

Through the fog of desperation a faint memory of the night shone through to her. Adam's words, those quite, tender words she longed to believe, to trust with all of her heart.

"I know what it sounds like, when the answer to your every question is "I don't know". I won't ask you to believe me, I won't ask you to trust me. Trust yourself though, try to trust your instincts, " he had said.

"Ms Duke, Ms Duke! I am afraid your stubborn attitude will not get us anywhere. Lets get back to this man, the one you spent the night with, I trust he must have left a more persistent impression than your other friend." Agent McAlistair suggested, pushing the archive picture in front of her once again.

"They are not my friends. Why can't you understand that? I told your colleagues already, I have never met either of them before!"

"So you want me to believe, that you just invite any random stranger from the street back to your place for a quick rump between the sheets? Are you that kind of woman, Ms Duke?"

Her cheeks burned with embarrassment, but she refused to hang her head in shame. Bloodshot chocolate eyes held Mac's gaze stubbornly. It was the truth, she was not going to lie, no matter how big an asshole the interrogator was or how much he decided to humiliate her!

"Very well then. Now that we have the moral side of the story established, why don't you tell me more about those infamous colleagues of mine?"

"But I told you already. They were dressed like your partner, had badges like you, albeit with manners this office obviously does not require! They asked questions, about how I spent last night, they were investigating I think .... the rapist at the park. I told you the same things I have told them. Go find them, ask them! Special Agent Fredericks and whatever was his partner's name!"

12