Summer in Maine Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Member389
Member389
1,674 Followers

"Come on." I led her to the Jeep, opened the door for her and got her settled in. "Drive safe, go on about your daily routine. Call me, text me, send up smoke signals, any time." I leaned in and kissed her softly. We lingered for a moment and I stepped out closing the door. She lowered the window.

"Smoke signals huh? Do you always run towards a fire?"

"It's what I do." I said smiling.

Her face turned serious. "I love you." Her eyes welled up again.

"I love you more." I leaned in and kissed her again. "Now get going before you get fired."

***

"You're quiet."

I smiled. "Sorry, just thinking." I'd gotten home a few days before and promptly went back to work. This was my first night off, and sitting across the table from Mom, I thought that it was time to tell her, but unsure about how to go about it.

"Your trip went well then." She asked, the questioning tone left hanging in the air between us.

"It went very well." I said and looked her in the eyes. She knew, like mothers do, that there was a lot more to the story. She sat there with an expression that said, "when you're ready, tell me what you need to get off your chest."

"Dinner smells terrific." I said.

"Yea it does. Sorry it's going to be a bit late, I got it into the slow cooker later than I'd planned." She said, before getting up and setting the table.

I'm not sure if it was the homely sounds of the kitchen but I relaxed. "Do you remember two years ago when I went down to see Davy about a job for the summer?"

"Yes, when he'd given it to that Dylan boy." She said, knowing that the story was about to unfold.

"Yea, the reason he gave it to Dylan was because I didn't make it there in time. I stopped down at Paula's and she asked me to make a delivery for her since I was going right near the place on my way to see Davy." I began. I let the story unfold, not going into the steamy details. After all it was my mother I was talking to, and she didn't need to hear about that, any more than I wanted to tell her. I told her about taking care of Chrissy for weeks. She mentioned that Paula told her about me taking her to the concert in the park. I said that I had, and a good many people had let her know that I had been on stage and played for some girl named Chrissy. I had totally forgotten about how public that was, and yet she never mentioned it to me even though she'd heard about it. Mothers can be the sneaky when they want to be.

"So you already knew?" I said surprised.

"Well not so much as you think, but when your son serenades a pretty girl at a crowded summer concert, people will ask you about it." She said with a smile. "I thought that you'd tell me when you were ready." She paused. "I knew something had happened though, and I didn't want to pry. You're an adult, and I respect the fact that you're not going to tell me everything that's going on in your life. Listen to me, that sounded like a huge guilt trip, it's not. I just want you to know that I respect your privacy. Paula tried to dig for dirt with me and I told her that you hadn't discussed your job with me."

I told her about how abruptly Chrissy had left. The look on my face must have conveyed exactly how it felt. She walked over and rested a hand on my shoulder before running her hand down the back of my head and giving my neck a little squeeze. She knew somebody had broken my heart, now she knew who it was.

"So you went to see her?" She asked.

"It's nice there, kind of like west of here over towards the mountains. She lives in a decent sized city, like Augusta maybe. She's a nurse at the hospital there. She's got a terrific daughter named Emily." At that I spied mom's eyebrows lift a fraction.

"So how did the first meeting go?" You hadn't seen her in over a year, the way she left I can't imagine you'd heard from her before that."

"It was nerve wracking." I said with a laugh. I told her about leaving the note and finally meeting again. I mentioned meeting Em and how they asked me to stay with them. I watched for a look of shock or surprise and didn't see one cross mom's face. Her head just bobbed as she took it all in.

"So, when?" She asked, picking up the thread of a conversation we'd had weeks before.

I just smiled. "First of the year. I'll be done with my one year duty here. I've already picked up the necessary forms to apply there. If I don't get in there, I'll look to nearby towns, or just go back to school and get a job doing something else. I'm going to get my EMT training one way or another." She smiled at that.

"I hope I get to meet her some day." There's the guilt trip I thought.

"Well, funny you should mention that, because I was thinking of the same thing." I replied, and let her know how I hoped we could make it happen. She was all smiles after that.

***

"Oh my God, to have been a fly on the wall during that conversation." Chrissy said. Her voice sounded so sweet. It made my heart beat faster just to hear it.

"I left out most of the lurid bits of the story. I didn't want her to keel over on me."

"I'm sure any parts you left out, she figured out already. From the sounds of her, she doesn't seem like the type to fool easily." She replied.

"That she isn't. Luckily I was a good kid so I didn't have to bullshit my way through many situations."

We talked about little things, Emily was doing a little better in school, but still wasn't pushing for the all A's that Chrissy was looking for. I said to give her time, the music is helping I was sure of it. Emily insisted on talking to me, I could hear her bouncing like a jumping bean in the background. She was all excited to tell me about how her music teacher thought it was terrific she was so interested in everything I was showing her and her friends and how she was going to be in a holiday concert at school. I brought up school, asking how she was doing. She let out a little sigh.

"One A, two B's and two C's" was her reply. "I just don't get algebra!" The other C was from a history class which had her bored to tears talking about 'boring dead people' as she put it.

I made her a deal, no C's by the mid-term report card and I'd make it worth her while. It was after her mother chivied her off the phone and to bed that I brought up my idea. I was surprised that not only did she like the idea she was very excited.

***

Thanksgiving day past with several calls on homes with scorched turkeys, and one unfortunate turkey frying experiment that cost a family their garage. Soon the snow was upon us. This early the snow usually didn't stick long, not this close to the ocean. It did make the driving difficult for the people who hadn't seen it in seven months. Luckily there were no major incidents. That is until I handed my notice into the chief.

He was less than impressed, until I told him my plans. He said he'd push to get me EMT training the budgets would be out soon. I showed him a picture of Chrissy and Em that I'd snapped with my phone. "Unless you can make that job happen where they are. It's not likely to change my mind." I said with a smile.

"Would she be willing to move here?"

I laughed. "Not nearly as I'm ready to move there. Don't worry I'm a first year greenhorn, I can't be that tough to replace."

"No but that means I have to find one willing to relocate here or scrounge up another, get him up to Fairfield, and wait months to put him to work." He shook his head, then asked to see the picture again. "I'll say this, she looks worthy of a guy like you. Don't screw it up."

"I like to think that I'm worthy of a girl like her. Trust me, I'll do everything I can to not screw it up."

***

Christmas eve came quietly, the crackle of a log in the wood stove, the soft hum of the refrigerator in the kitchen and in the living room me rustling and muttering while attempting to wrap a gift.

"Do you want a cookie?" Mom called out from the kitchen.

"Of course, but did you make enough for Santa?" I said chuckling.

"Don't you worry, I'm practicing for when the girls get here. What kind of grandma street cred would I have if I couldn't whip up cookies on the spur of the moment?"

We had a quiet dinner earlier just the two of us. I started to doubt my gift choice and my mother put her hand on my arm. "Relax, she's going to love it, trust me."

"I know, I'm just getting a little anxious." I said with a sigh. She chuckled at that.

"She'll be here day after tomorrow. Breathe."

Mom was going to pick her up at the airport since I'd swapped shifts with Mike so I could have the later part of the week off. I'd be working Christmas day and the day after and have the next three days off, then two more days and I was done. I'd already started packing. Mom kept trying to give me furniture, which was nice but wasn't going to travel well since I didn't know where I'd be living just yet. I asked Chrissy if I could stay with her for a few days while I looked at apartments to which she quickly said yes. I felt a hand on my shoulder rubbing it firmly.

"Breathe." She said again.

"You're going to like her."

"I already do, because I trust you. You've always been a good judge of character." We did justice to the cookies leaving a couple out with a small glass of milk, just in case.

Work went by slowly, we had a huge dinner at the engine house. We did have one call of a chimney fire from some over zealous wrapping paper burning. The next day had me so jumpy Herb said I should drink decaf from now on. When I told him why his face broke into a huge grin.

"You finally tugged back, huh? Tell me you're going to bring her by so we can meet the woman you're dumping us for."

"I might, just to show her why I'm leaving." I laughed ducking his backhanded slap. About mid-afternoon I got a text saying that they had landed and mom had found them. They should be in town in a little over an hour. I did an equipment check and spent some time polishing the chrome on #3 to keep myself occupied.

"Hey Pete!" I heard from over by the kitchen. I walked around the corner and Chrissy was standing there, her arm on Em's shoulder. Allan, the lieutenant on duty laughed. "I haven't seen him smile like that since the time we ordered pizzas from next door and didn't make him cook." I walked up and Chrissy launched herself into my arms. Several kisses later I noticed we were getting a round of applause.

"You may need to hose them off, they do this all the time." Em announced to everybody, to a hale of laughter. I gave Chrissy another kiss before releasing my grip and reaching out to Em.

"Come here smart ass and give me a hug." She gladly dove into my side and I kissed her on the forehead.

"What are you feeding her? I used to be able to kiss the top of her head."

"Everything, I think she's having another growth spurt." Chrissy replied. I showed them around, introducing them to the guys on duty. Herb gave me a sly wink, I don't think he had any doubts now as to why I was leaving.

Allan walked over to us. "Damn, I'm sorry you're not feeling well Pete. Hopefully you'll feel better by Thursday. Danny is coming into the cover the overnight." I looked at him oddly. "Get outta here you three." He smiled and thumped me on the back and walked off.

I wasn't sure what happened, but I wasn't about to argue the point. We all piled into my truck and I drove back to the house. I felt Mom's hand in this when I saw a big spread being worked on for dinner. I knew I was right. I asked her if she needed any help.

"Maybe a little." She put her hand on Em's shoulder. "Would you mind giving me a hand Emily?" Mom gave me a look and raised an eyebrow in dismissal.

"Don't work her too hard. We'll need some help to clean out under the tree later." I said chuckling.

As soon as we made it through the doorway Chrissy turned me and fell into my arms. The kiss was sweet with an underlying urgency. Her body felt like a taught bowstring against me, the energy waiting to be unleashed.

Em said a little louder than necessary. "If I know them, they're in there with their faces stuck together." Causing us both to laugh.

"I hope we have a lot of potatoes to peel. I'm really hungry." I called back. Chrissy pulled me down onto the couch and kissed me again.

"I have a special surprise for you." She said with a big grin.

"Not here, my mother is right in the kitchen!" I said laughing.

"Not that, maybe later if we can find a way to pull it off." She said as she gave the front of my pants a squeeze. "I've only had Bob to keep me company the last two months, and he's a lousy cuddler."

My eyes went wide. "Who is Bob?" I asked.

She snorted and leaned in to whisper in my ear. "Battery operated boyfriend." I busted out laughing.

"Is this the same Bob you traveled with a few years ago?" I asked softly, not wanting the conversation to raise questions.

Chrissy rolled her eyes. "Maybe, maybe not? You left me in a bad way two weeks ago when you called. It's not nice to ply a girl with pretty words and promises and then leave her to take matters in her own hands." I remembered the call, and I wanted so badly to ravish her until we both passed out.

"Oh my God, look at you blush." She said with a smile. She leaned in and whispered in my ear. "Don't you worry, I'll get my due for that, and then some." She took my ear lobe in her mouth giving it a tug. Her hand slipped between my legs, she massaged the inside of my thigh and it was getting the reaction she expected.

"I'm going to run upstairs and change, I'll be right back." I said, trying to steady my breathing.

She grinned even further with a glint in her eye. "Want to show me your room?"

I chuckled at that. "Sure." I stood taking her hand and led her upstairs. I led her into the room where she peeked out the door behind us before closing it quietly and began unbuttoning my shirt for me. In a flash I was shirtless and she was kissing her way down as she pushed my t-shirt up and off.

"Are you nuts?" I chuckled.

"I can't leave you like this through dinner." She said stroking my hard cock through my pants. She stepped back sitting on the edge of the bed and pulled me towards her by the belt and undid it. She had my pants and boxers around my knees and began licking my cock. She looked up catching my eye as she began taking it into her mouth. It's a wonder my knees didn't buckle at the sensation. She took me slowly at first, but sensed my mounting frustration and sped up, bobbing swiftly drawing me out until I exploded down her throat.

I gasped catching my breath. "You're a little bit evil, you know that?"

She dabbed at the corner of her mouth with a tissue she grabbed from the box on the nightstand.

"I don't know about that. I think I'm more angelic, to relieve you from your suffering like that." She replied.

"I can't wait to return the favor."

"Neither can I." She said smiling. "Is there a bathroom up here?" I told her it was the last door on the right. "Good, let me go freshen up and head downstairs before you come down."

I came down the stairs and stopped at the sight before me. Chrissy sat at the end of the couch, with a mug in her hands, eyes wide as she watched Em. Colored lights twinkled making the scene magical. She had the most beatific expression as she watched Emily scouting the presents under the tree. Emily sounded amazed that she had so many. Mom had pulled out the stops when she discovered she finally had a girl to shop for. Chrissy's gaze lit on me and her smile got even bigger as she beckoned me over. Just as I sat down Mom called out for a hand and I hopped back up and grabbed the tray she'd put together.

"This one for Em, no rum in it." She pointed at one of the mugs of hot cider.

"Going to be that kind of night is it?" I chuckled.

"Hey, it's the holidays. Why not enjoy ourselves?" She followed me out with a huge platter of food and set it on the coffee table. We chatted while dinner cooked. Emily landed next to the platter and began nibbling away. I had a dread feeling that this meeting was going to be awkward for everybody involved. Trust Mom to treat Chrissy like a long time girlfriend, not like someone she'd met a few hours before. Somehow discussion turned to what I was like when I was little and the embarrassing stories began. Before long the buzzer on the stove went off and we mobilized and soon we were sitting around the table, a feast laid out before us.

"I wondered where he got his culinary skills from, now I know. Everything was delicious."

"Thank you. I assure you that I only showed him the basics, he's more creative than I've ever been in the kitchen."

Em piped in describing our weekend of Italian food when I was at their house a few months earlier.

"Your lieutenant wasn't happy with me because of it either. I guess since you've been there they've eaten better than they had in years. Some of the guys said you were a better cook than their wives." Chrissy said laughing.

"It's probably for the best, Earl was getting a paunch on him." I replied. "I have a gift. What can I say?"

"You could say, don't move Mom, I'll take care of the dishes."

Hearing my groan caused Em to add, "You know the deal, the cook doesn't do the dishes, and you didn't cook."

"I didn't cook, either I'll help you hon." Chrissy added as the laughter subsided. It wasn't long before we joined Mom and Emily in the living room again.

"I now have a promise that you're going to practice your music so you don't forget it." Mom said. "Emily is going to teach you to play guitar too, so I hear."

"I hope so." I replied as we got comfortable on the couch. I looked up and Emily's face was full of pent up excitement. Chrissy stifled a yawn behind her hand. "Maybe we should wait, your mom seems pretty tired."

"Mom, do you need some coffee?" She asked with a longing in her voice. We all laughed as her mother declined.

"Pete, get in there and play Santa for us." Mom said as she prodded me with a toe.

It was surprising how little time it took to tear through the loot. Emily dancing around a pile hugging her new game. She pouted slightly because her mother said she'd lose it if her grades didn't stay up. I agreed, and reminded her we had a deal. We did our best to neaten up and make a pathway. Mom said she was going to go to bed and made her way upstairs. We had Emily's bed made up in Mom's office on a borrowed folding bed. Chrissy allowed her to take the game with her so she could try it out. A quiet settled over the house as we tucked in for the night.

Chrissy emerged from Emily's makeshift bedroom. I had cleared the coffee table off and set the last gift in the middle of the table. A small velvet box with a little red bow on it. She stopped half way across the room, her eyes wide as she looked at the box then over at me. I knelt on one knee in front of the wood stove a stick in hand poking up the coals. She looked at me kneeling then at the box again. I was unsure of what was going on in her mind, but a wash of expressions made their way across her face in a fleeting moment. She finally broke eye contact with me and retrieved a similar box from her purse setting it next to the one that was on the coffee table. She sat on the couch and and patted the spot next to her. My heart pounding because of the look she gave me. I was both worried and hopeful.

She inhaled quickly as if to begin a speech. "Pete, remember when you came out to see me?"

"Just open it first. Please." I interrupted her. She looked up sharply at me. "Please?" I said with a grin. She gave me a curious look and reached for the box like it might go off like a bomb if she moved to quickly. She lifted the lid gently and looked for a moment at the silver pendant. A grin crept across her face as she let out the breath she'd been holding.

Member389
Member389
1,674 Followers