Summer in Maine Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Member389
Member389
1,667 Followers

"It's beautiful!" She said turning to me and giving me a kiss.

"It's one of a kind. The woman that made it said she wouldn't make another for at least three months. It was our deal after she saw the design I'd made for it." The pendant was a large silver heart with a smaller heart inside, and another smaller heart inside of that one. Along the edge where the three hearts joined, small stones were set. I chose our three birthstones and they worked well together in pale blue, clear and pink.

I chuckled after a few more kisses. "I know what you were thinking. I was thinking the same thing myself. I spent weeks looking at rings." I said softly. "Then about about a month ago, I don't know what reminded me of it, but I remembered how proud you sounded when you told me that you were back on your feet, and you were doing well. I didn't want to feel like I was trying to tie you down again, and become the old ball and chain."

She drew a breath to say something and I turned looking deep into her eyes and saw the answer to the question I hadn't asked.

"I want you to want it as much as I do. When I ask, you'll know it's coming." I said as I took her face in my hands and kissed her deeply. I pulled back to see her eyes welling up.

"How is it that you understand me so well?" Her voice barely above a whisper.

"I listen to what you say, and to what you don't say." I smiled at her and the first tear broke free and rolled down her face. I brushed them away with my thumbs and before I knew it she was straddling me and our lips crashed together. The frustration of the past two months apart trickled away gently. It took a loud pop from the wood stove to rouse us. Chrissy jumped, startled by the sound, then realizing what it was began to chuckle. She sat up slightly, still straddling my lap and whipped her hair to one side, with a deft motion she undid the necklace she was wearing and set it on the table. She reached into the box and lifted out the pendant and handed it to me. She turned and sat on my lap and lifted her hair. I clasped the necklace and leaned in kissing her softly on the neck, causing her to let out a sigh and tilted her head inviting me to have my fill.

"You're distracting me." She mumbled.

"Really?" I said. "From what?" She shivered in my arms as I continued my gentle assault on her neck.

"We need to talk."

I felt an icy bolt run down my spine. Those are words I never wanted to hear. She noticed I'd stopped nibbling her neck and patted the hand I had wrapped around her waist. She leaned forward and then slid off my lap and sat next to me. The other little box in hand. She was still smiling but looked at me with concern.

"Are you okay?"

"Yea," I said, "what do you mean we need to talk?"

She laughed gently. "Relax. It's just that this needs a little explanation." She handed me the box and tucked her leg under her. She nodded at the box, urging me to open it. I looked up at her for a moment, her eyebrows went up as she urged me to open it with an impish grin. "Well go on." I pulled the ribbon off and tore the paper sliding out what looked like a jewelry box. I opened up to find a pewter key chain with my initials on it. I breathed a little better.

"Em and I decided we don't want you to come stay with us for a few weeks while you look for a new place."

I looked up sharply at that. She had a devious smile on her lips. She motioned towards the box again. I picked up the heavy oval and keys dangled out from underneath it.

"We decided we don't want you to look for a new home. You already have one if you want it."

I turned it over, the inscription on the other side said, "Always Remember To Come Home."

"That was Emily's idea. She knows being a firefighter isn't exactly the safest profession. She's close to Uncle Dale. So much so that sometimes I wonder which one is the kid." I turned and kissed her, smothering her next words. She pulled back gasping for breath. "Is that a yes?"

I just nodded, too choked up to reply.

Epilogue

I sat on an old stump, steam rising off my coffee in the cool morning air. The clouds were heavy, a faint glimmer of the sun trying to break through near the horizon. The breeze kicked up, dried leaves skittered across the brown grass at my feet. I looked up, in the distance there was a V of southbound geese. I lowered my eyes and took in the little house with a grin and shook my head. So many things had happened in just a few short years. A blue jay called out just as the door opened and Em barreled out headed for the school bus. She didn't even look up as she darted around the house to stand with the her friends down a few houses. She'd grown and was looking more like the beautiful woman she would soon become. I looked over at the kitchen window and saw a shadow move. A few minutes later the door opened again, Chrissy stood on the step scanning the yard, for me I assumed.

"Pete?" She hollered.

"I'm over here." I said, getting her attention. She walked over and stopped in front of me, her hair blew in front of her face, her arms crossed tight against the chill.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

"What are you doing out here in the cold?" She said bumping my foot aside slightly so she could perch on my knee, her arm wrapped around my back as she nestled in to find some warmth.

"Counting my blessings. The second one just dashed up the road to catch the bus, the first one is right here." I said running my hand up her back. "After that I lost count."

"Today?" I asked. We'd gotten into a little routine over the past year, where I had asked her to marry me, and she said she'd tell me when she was ready. It had been over a year, nearly two, since I'd moved here, and the life agreed with me somehow. The area was rough, but the people strong and supportive. There were whisperings about us, but they all disappeared when people realized just how in love we were... we are. Our game was to the point where I wouldn't have to say anything more, and she knew what I wanted. I asked daily.

"Happy birthday." She said, then leaned down and kissed me. The blue jay taking offense to our conversation decided to voice his opinion again. I raised my eyebrows at her. I never let her get away without answering me. She looked up over my head, her eyes scanning the yard, she looked up at the sky and slowly began nodding. She looked down at me with a smile. "Today."

*****

I'd like to thank those of you that commented on previous chapters of the story. This particular story is inspired by a real person, (not to worry, names were changed to protect both the innocent, and not-so innocent) who read each chapter before it was published. It was her encouragement that kept pushing me to finish it after I'd left it for so long, and for that I thank her immensely. I hope you enjoyed it.

Member389
Member389
1,667 Followers