Sun and Moon Ch. 02

Story Info
Powers, the past, and a budding romance.
8.3k words
4.57
6.5k
6

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 02/05/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Preliminaries: Thank you for all the support for chapter 1, it means a lot! For future reference, if you do post a comment I will do my best to reply in a similar format to the response(s) on chapter 1 (I can't seem to reply to each comment individually). I will attempt to make each chapter around 2 pages, but that means these chapters take longer to write and edit, so no complaining!

I've decided to remove the character POV and just write from 3rd person POV, though that was basically what I was already doing. However, the individual parts of each chapter will still be focused on a particular character. I feel that this will allow me to not have to worry about perspectives and give the best and broadest view of what the characters are experiencing.

I would also like to apologize for the long hiatus. Two computer crashes, one windows reinstall, real life, and procrastinating were the main reasons for why I have not published this chapter yet. It is extra-long, so hopefully you all will forgive me xD. This chapter is also barely edited at all, so forgive any small typos or mistakes. As always, I am open to all constructive criticisms and opinions!

With all of that nonsense out of the way, enjoy!

-Silent

*****

The Sun and Moon

Chapter 2

David sighed as he boarded his flight to Seattle. He had been invited to a gala for gifted students entering college, and supposedly there was a hefty scholarship to be awarded. He was initially opposed to going, but he couldn't argue with a free plane ticket and a promise for the trip to be "all-expense-paid."

Arriving a few hours later, an older woman greeted him at the gate. She held a small sign saying Mr. McGinnis. "Do you have all of your luggage?" The woman asked. "How was your flight?"

"The flight was fine, thank you," David replied. "I only have carry-ons, so there's no need to worry about luggage."

"Wonderful, let's be on our way then. My name is Amara. It's nice to meet you David," Amara said sweetly.

As they exited the airport, David studied the woman that picked him up from the airport. The woman looked to be around 70 years old, and had the kind of face and voice that comforted everyone around her. David was instantly sure that she was a mother, and probably a grandmother. He was correct in his assumption - ironically, she would be his own grandmother in under a week.

David followed Amara out through the airport doors marked above as Arrivals. Once his luggage was secured in the trunk of the black sedan that was to be their mode of transportation, they left the airport. David was surprised when the older woman took the seat next to him in the back of the car - she had her own personal driver.

The interrogation started with Amara saying "so tell me about yourself." For the next 3 hours Amara battered David down with endless questions: about his family, now deceased; about his life; and most importantly, about his character.

David smiled sweetly and answered Amara's questions to the best of his abilities. He assumed that he was being interviewed for the $50,000 scholarship, while Amara's motives were quite different - she was vetting the soon-to-be newest member of her family.

By the end of their lengthy talk, Amara was sure of two things: that David was deeply troubled, and that he was the perfect mate for Emily. He was not necessarily a good looking young man - he was 5'7'', brown haired and scrawny. David did not look like a man of the Ađalsteinn clan, though the awakening would change all that.

Amara and David arrived in the sedan at the compound, a loyal omega helping David with his luggage. David knew that this family was rolling in it if they could afford a personal driver, a $50,000 scholarship, and this monster of a mansion. Rob, the driver, showed David through the gothic archway, up the spiral staircase, and to his room. The room itself was luxurious (if you like dark mahogany) and David was instructed to show up to the gala at 8 p.m.

David collapsed on the plush bed, and rolled over to glance at the alarm clock. It read 3:12. Perfect, David thought, enough time for a nap, and promptly passed out from exhaustion.

αβγΩ ∞ Ωγβαc

David bolted upright out of the bed. What the fuck was that dream? All he could remember was watching a massive tiger walk into a forest, and chasing it. No matter how far or how fast he ran, the tiger was always out of reach. He cut his feet on rocks, his arms were ripped apart by numerous stray branches, yet he still gave chase. Somehow, it felt more like reality than a dream.

Glancing at the clock, David read 7:23. "Shit!" He exclaimed, and ran into the bathroom, quickly starting the shower. When he got out of the shower he was surprised to find a tuxedo waiting for him. He was relieved - all he had was a black tie and blazer. David dressed quickly, and managed to make it to the main ballroom 3 minutes before 8 o'clock, though he did get lost at one point.

Entering the ballroom, David surveyed around 12 large, circular tables all covered with white linen. All the chairs and tables were made of a dark mahogany, and in the front of the room there was a large dais with a dozen or so seats. Behind the dais was a massive glass window, mostly covered by a large brown drapes.

At least 60 people stood around the ballroom talking, the majority with some alcoholic beverage in their hands, likely to be champagne. They were all dressed in either tuxedos or expensive dresses, and, interestingly enough, were all in pairs.

As David entered the ballroom, the hairs on the back of all of the attendee's necks prickled and raised. Unbeknownst to him, all of the people were weres, the majority of which were members of the pack. Only a few turned around to get a look at him, mainly omegas or friends of the Ađalsteinn pack who were not used to large crowds. The rest controlled their impulse to turn their necks, and continued their conversations. Regardless of their different reactions, every were in attendance knew that this kid was special, and not just because he was the alpha's daughter's mate.

David found his seat on the third table and slung his blazer over the back of the chair. One by one, each pair walked over to introduce themselves. They all said things like "congratulations" and "we're so happy for you and Emily." Of course, he had no idea what was going on, and he assumed that Emily was the other recipient of the scholarship. Even though he was mildly confused, he thanked everyone who greeted him.

Once the dinner began, David conversed with the 5 other people at his table: two mated pairs, and a single beta. David picked a wonderful lamb shank and ravioli in a butter and white wine sauce that was to die for.

Unfortunately, David was not able to fully enjoy his mean, as his attention was focused on the angelic girl on the dais. When David first saw her he was shaking the hand of his future uncle. She walked gracefully into the ballroom and greeted the throb of attendees who flocked around her, specifically the females who were in attendance.

The first thing David noticed about her was her hair. It was a bright auburn red, straight and shimmering in the low lighting. It hung around a foot past the top of her shoulder. She had an exquisite face, with high cheekbones, full but not too thick lips, silver eyes, and pale skin.

David traced this beauty's hair down from her shoulders to a velvet emerald dress that accentuated her curves and flowed to her knees. She had ample breasts and her behind was small yet tight. David felt all of his surroundings diminish, and even as he was eating, he could focus on nothing else save her.

David ate quickly, as he was accustomed to from his years in foster care. He realized that he felt out of control: this woman's pull was too strong. He had felt attraction to other girls before, but nothing of this magnitude.

Like a guilty criminal, David fled to the balcony in an attempt to recover the control that he prized above all else. Breathing heavily, almost to the point of hyperventilating, David forced himself to calm down, taking long, deep breaths. Tonight was going to be a long night.

αβγΩ ∞ Ωγβα

Emily watched as her mate hurriedly walked to the upstairs balcony. Her leopard paced within Emily's soul, frustrated that she couldn't go to her mate and be with him. Sitting there on the dais next to her father was possibly the most frustrating thing she had ever had to do. Emily wanted nothing else but to run to her mate and comfort her, but she knew the timing wasn't right.

Alpha Ađalsteinn watched his daughter rap her fingers on the table, an annoying habit that she did when upset or angry. He could see the frustration on her face as plain as day, and leaned toward her ear. "Go to him," he whispered.

Emily took that as being excused, and rushed out of her seat. It took all of her willpower not to run up the stairs, but to walk slowly like a lady. As she came up the stairs she saw David leaning over the railing, doing some casual people-watching. He seemed lost in thought, and didn't hear Emily walk towards him.

"Hi," Emily said in an irregularly high pitch.

David jumped in surprise, and then turned toward her, clutching his heart. "You nearly gave me a heart attack!"

"Sorry," Emily replied, "you seemed lost in thought."

David ran a hand through his hair and turned toward her. "Yeah, I guess I was just thinking about the past."

"What about it?" Emily asked.

"How I got here, how much my life has changed, how different this mansion is from my beginnings."

Emily put her hands on her hips. "First of all, it's a compound; second, what were your 'beginnings?'"

David waved his hand toward the party. "My life wasn't this glamourous or pretty. There wasn't expensive dresses, fancy food, or compounds" he said with a slight sneer. "We struggled to eat, to find a place to stay, to survive. It was hard. Living was hard." As David spoke, tears began to pool in the edges of his eyes.

Emily knew that there was something wrong; David's reaction had to have come out of some kind of personal experience, and if this rift continued to grow Emily might walk away from this week without a mate. She walked forward with purpose, closing the few feet that separated them. Emily ignored her roaring leopard, which was upset that her mate was crying. Stop being a cub and focus she told the cat we have to use our power. Her leopard agreed.

Emily had only used her ability twice, and all of those times were when she was much younger. She remembered entering the dream of a young boy at her orphanage that was plagued with nightmares. 5 years later she had invaded Olivia's privacy accidentally after a long day of playing on the beach. Emily had realized that she could enter the dreams of others, and not only see into their psyche, but make changes. She had sworn to herself that she would never use her power again, but Emily knew that if there was a time to use it, that time was now.

"Kiss me," Emily told David, parting her lips delectably.

David did not have to be asked twice, his inner animal pushing his inhibitions away. With his right hand David clasped the back of Emily's neck and pulled her to him. Emily had very little experience with men, mainly due to being the daughter of a major alpha. No mutt was stupid enough to go near her. David, on the other hand, was no saint.

This kiss was hot and heavy, and David's left hand wrapped around Emily's small waist to pull her closer to him. His lips screamed of passion and need as he gripped her tightly.

Slowly, David's senses began to fade, and when he opened his eyes all he saw was a grey blur. The pair toppled to the ground, with Emily's head on David's chest. However, neither of them felt the fall; they were both in David's subconscious.

ΑβγΩ ∞ Ωγβα

Emily blinked rapidly, trying to focusing on the memory coming into view. She knew she had pushed hard into David's psyche, and was hoping that his most painful memory came out. It was the fastest way to understand him and the fastest way to help him heal.

As her eyes focused she found herself looking at a bus stop, the kind that is made of glass walls and can be seen through. Emily saw two figures, a boy sitting on the bench upright, and a small figure lying down horizontally next to him, covered in a blanket. It was raining, and extremely cold. As a car passed the bus stop, Emily barely made out the sticker on the bumper that read "The Windy City." So we're in Chicago, Emily thought. No wonder it's so cold.

Emily walked toward the pair taking shelter from the rain in the bus stop. As she turned around the corner of the graffiti-covered glass panes, she looked closely at the pair. The boy was young, perhaps just having hit puberty, and there was no doubt that he was a young David. The other was a child, perhaps 6 or 7 years old and was clearly sick. The sickly girl had raven-black hair and so small she must have been malnourished.

"David," the little girl croaked, "are you there?"

"I'm here, Freya." The young David looked down at the girl and said, "We're going to take the bus to the women's shelter. They have medicine that will make you all better Freya. You'll see."

Freya coughed and looked up at David and smiled. "And after we'll go to the park and play?"

"We'll go to the park and play every day. Now put your head down and rest."

A few minutes passed and nothing happened. David absentmindedly stroked Freya's hair as they waited for the bus. Freya's breathing was labored and scratchy - even in her sleep she sounded sick. Emily stared the vision of her mate, studying him. David's brows were furrowed in worry; his eyes bloodshot and baggy, his skin pale and dirty.

Suddenly, all Emily could hear was the steady pounding of the heavy rain. Suddenly, the scene felt peaceful, not labored. Turning away from the rainy street and back to the pair, Emily watched as David shook the small girl.

"Freya, Freya, wake up." He pulled her closer to him, shaking the girl with increasing fervor. "Nonononono, this can't be happening. Freya stay with me, please." David's voice was filled with dread and terror.

David put Freya's head that he was clutching back onto the seat of the bus stop and ran out into the street, waving his arms wildly.

A brown station wagon ground to a halt, mere inches away from hitting David. David ran around to the driver's window and pounded on the glass in desperation. The driver rolled down the window, saying "are you insane, kid? I nearly ran you over, and right in front of my kids, too!"

"Do you have a cell phone?" David asked the man, nearly shouting over the pounding of the rain.

"Yes, but why-"

"Call 9-1-1. There is a sick girl at this bus stop and she needs help!" When the man hesitated, David shouted at him "Now!"

"Ok ok." The man turned to his wife, who already had her phone out of her purse. "We'll make the call."

The car drove off, and David ran back to the shelter of the bus stop, soaked to the bone. Picking little Freya up and back onto his lap, David began to stroke her hair. "Please don't leave me Freya, I need you. I love you."

Emily looked at her sobbing mate and wanted to comfort him, but knew that this was a memory. She couldn't do anything to save the child from her fate, it was all in the past. Suddenly, the memory froze - it was as if someone had stopped time.

A powerful force slammed into her, blocking the rest of the memory. It was as if she had ran face first into a brick wall. Emily's senses began to fade. No, no I need to see more. I need more time!

As if thrown from a cannon, Emily was thrown into another memory. Taking a look around her, Emily realized that she was literally standing on water. This isn't a memory, Emily thought to herself. Where am I? The water was perfectly calm and clear, though she could not see the bottom, even if there was one. All around her spikes jutted out from the water, the smallest ones coming up to her shoulder. Emily spun around, trying to find a landmark that would clue her in to where she was. She saw a small figure on the horizon and walked toward it.

It only took her a few moments to cross what must have been miles of water. Regardless of this irregularity, Emily was not surprised. Dream-worlds did not abide by the laws that the real world did. As she got closer to the figure, she realized that it was not a person, but a tree. An impossibly massive tree that dwarfed even the oldest tree known to man. Underneath that tree a small child was reading a book.

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout. Down came the rain to wash the spider out," the child sang. Then the child, whom Emily discerned to be a girl, looked at her. "And what kind of spider do we have here?"

"Who are you and where am I?" Emily asked the girl.

"Tsk tsk tsk," the girl said, wagging her finger at Emily. "Didn't your mother ever teach you manners?"

"Please tell me who you are and where I am," Emily repeated, exasperation plain in her voice.

"Well, this is the world tree, Yggdrasil, and I am the spirit who protects it."

"You're Freya," Emily whispered, the answer so obvious that Emily wanted to kick herself.

"Ding ding ding! Right you are."

Emily realized then where she was. The Yggdrasil was the physical embodiment of David's soul, and Freya was the one he chose to protect it. The spikes were the roots of the world tree - she had read somewhere that the roots of certain trees who were repeatedly submerged in water grew upward. It was incredible - for a soul's embodiment to be this large the person must be extremely powerful.

"Well, looks like it's time for you to go bye-bye," Freya said in a sing-song voice, waving goodbye to Emily.

The same wall of energy that Emily experienced before hit her again, forcing her out of David's mind. A familiar feeling of slowly losing her senses overcame her, and she was shoved into consciousness.

ΑβγΩ ∞ Ωγβα

David woke up with a start, and tried to get a bearing of his surroundings. He was in a bed, but it was clearly not his. The bed stood on a mahogany bedpost, the kind with four spokes climbing to the ceiling from the corners of the bed. There was a flowery wallpaper full of warm colors that covered the walls. A small desk with an open laptop stood of the corner of the room, with a large chest of drawers next to it.

Emily stretched, waking up from her "dream." David looked down to find her in his arms, snuggling closer to his chest as she woke up. "Well, Miss Emily," David said in a scolding tone. "You have some explaining to do."

Emily was startled, practically jumping out of his arms. She looked up at him and asked, "What do you want to know?"

"There are a few things," David replied. "What did you do to me last night? Who are you to me? And why the hell did I wake up in your bed half naked?"

Emily began to take in the situation. She was wearing a long, white button-up shirt with her favorite black lace lingerie that she had worn to the party underneath. David had on navy sweatpants, his underwear, and nothing else, leaving his slim chest exposed.

Creating a bit more distance between them, much to the dismay of her leopard, Emily said "last night I used my abilities to enter your subconscious to try and find out what was troubling you.

"I am a were, a shifter, to be precise. I can turn into a snow leopard at will. Every were has someone special to them, their soul mate. You are my mate, and I am yours. And as far as waking up in my bed, I have to assume that one of our pack omegas dressed us and carried us here after we passed out at the party."