Surefoot 61: Answer the Call

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Everyone did. A rumble travelled through the assembled group.

"Look at our numbers here," she continued. "And multiply these numbers by a thousand. That's how many lives were taken by the Enemy three days ago. Not just the brave males and females of the Planetary Navy and the Militia, but their families. Their cubs.

But the Enemy took more than those lives. They took the bulk of our defences. They cut us off from the rest of the Galaxy. They control the government, the media, and they whisper lies to our people.

They believe they have won.

Look around you again. What do you see?"

She drew her swords, twin black blades that reflected the dying sunlight from across the bay, and slowly pointed to the hundreds here. "I see Kaetini: the Warriors of the Great Mother.

We are not an army. We do not wear uniforms or hold ranks or follow regulations. And that will be our strength.

We are parents and teachers, artists and accountants, doctors and drivers and therapists and farmers and a hundred other occupations. And that will be our strength.

We exist among our people, quiet and invisible, but ready to serve and protect our people in every capacity, in our struggle against the Enemy. We do not have to fight and kill to do this. We can look and we can listen. We can shelter and we can supply. We can feed and heal and build and tear down. We can do all of this... but if need be, we can fight and kill and die as well.

And that will be our strength."

Nvell paused to sheath her swords. "We will not meet again like this, not while the Enemy is on our soil. Until that time, I ask you, all of you: Answer the Call.

Will you?"

The crowd cheered, "Yes!"

"Will you?"

They raised their weapons and arms. "YES!"

"WILL YOU?"

"YES!"

Nvell looked out among them as the roar ebbed. And as she began to recite the Oath, everyone joined her: "'We are Kaetini: a Warrior of the Great Mother. We are Her Eyes, and We are Her Ears. We are Her Teeth, and We are Her Claws. We are Her Purr, and We are Her Roar. I will defend the Living, and I will avenge the Dead. And I will give my life to protect the Motherworld and her people.'"

Nvell nodded. "Before we depart, stay a while, in each other's company, and our comrade David will provide a few songs, which will surely be more entertaining than seeing this old cat up here reciting ancient oaths."

Nvell departed, and Meowie and his band appeared and set up to play. Sasha looked to Hrelle, before looking around. "Wow."

"Yeah," Hrelle agreed, awed, as others around them drew closer, asking about them -- especially Sasha, the only human here -- before starting at the approach of- "Mistress Nvell!"

The elderly female acknowledged others as she drew up to Hrelle and Sasha, focusing on the former. "Hello again, Big Balls."

Hrelle ignored the reaction from Sasha to the words. "Mistress Nvell."

She stared at him for a heartbeat, before asking, "That's it? No praise for my inspirational speech?" She indicated her skimpy clothes. "No erection from seeing me in my best combat gear? I'm amazed your wife has put out enough to produce two cubs." Now she looked to Sasha. "Well, Tailless? What did you think of my speech?"

She smiled. "If the Rat-tails had heard it, they'd be shitting themselves."

Nvell guffawed, looking back at Hrelle but indicating Sasha. "I'm glad someone around here is on the ball." Then she sobered. "We've been looking for surviving high-ranking Militia officers to organise the rebellion. There's a few Lieutenants in hospital in Shanos Major receiving treatment for IDV; we've moved them to a secure location. But many are being collected for 'questioning' under orders of the Ferasans."

She crossed her arms. "You're probably the most senior, most experienced military officer on the planet. They'll be coming for you and your family, too."

He nodded. "Sasha and a Starfleet Lieutenant we met have set loose a virus to clear all Starfleet identities, active and retired, from the planetary databases, but we've kept a copy to stay in contact with them and arrange... something." He nodded again. "We'll be doing the same for any surviving Militia members."

"That's a good start, Captain. But you'll have to do more. Much more. But we'll have a network open with you. And we'll supply whatever and whomever you need." She held out her arms. "And in case you feel guilty about involving civilians, Captain, just remember: we are all more than what we seem." She turned to Sasha. "Watch out for him, Tailless. His importance is even bigger than his gut... if such a thing were possible."

Sasha smiled. "I will, Ma'am."

Then Nvell was gone, though Hrelle hardly noticed, as he turned away, saying, as if to himself, "We have to go."

Sasha caught up with him as they made their way back through the woods to the ship, leaving the music and the assembly behind him, her father staring intently ahead of him, not acknowledging her until she prompted, "Dad?"

"I didn't ask for this."

"Pardon?"

He stopped, his tail smacking against her, his paws balled into fists. "I didn't ask to be given this responsibility." He looked to her. "All those lives back there. All those lives. I can command a ship of hundreds. Seven Hells, if it came down to it, I can even command a task force of ships.

But this? The fate of our world? Hundreds of millions of lives?" He shook his head. "I didn't ask for this, Sasha."

She looked to him sympathetically, drawing closer. "No. You didn't. I... I guess no one ever does. Not if they're smart, anyway. But... in all the times I've seen you face threats, terrible threats, you've always risen to the challenge..." She embraced him tightly. "And you've got all of us on your side." She held him for a moment, before adding, "It's better if you hug back, or it's just weird."

He did. "Sorry, Sweetheart."

"Hush." Then she drew back. "Come on, Big Balls, let's get home, and start making plans. We have a planet to free."

*

In the Capitol, Melem-Adu felt the pangs of hunger, but ignored them as one of his subordinates approached. "Master Governor, the Transporter Grid is now fully operational."

He nodded with satisfaction. Now they could beam troops to every part of the planet instantly... and beam them out should trouble arise. "Get me some food."

Then he continued looking over the lists of names, the names of eligible Caitian females his people were gathering from the medical databases... none of you have any idea of the great service you will provide us.

Not yet anyway.

TO BE CONTINUED