Surefoot 02: Imbarrazzo

Story Info
Something's arisen among Alpha Squad...
12.5k words
4.48
10.4k
4

Part 6 of the 103 part series

Updated 02/05/2024
Created 10/24/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Surefoot
Surefoot
205 Followers

USS Surefoot, Deck 2, Alpha Squad Quarters:

Jonas was certain he had felt more physically exhausted in his life. Damned if he could think of when.

Alpha Squad had woke up an hour before, at 0630 hours, determined to take advantage of the quiet hours and get a workout in the gym. Which was fine, usually; physical fitness was a necessity the more sedentary Jonas accepted as part of being in Starfleet. But then Eydiir had volunteered to provide the rest of them with instruction - and the Capellan proved to be just as tough as the worst drill instructors back at the Academy, all the while demonstrating how fit she was herself. Even Neraxis was cursing between ragged breaths, and she was the one majoring in Security.

Eydiir was a mystery to Jonas. She came from a primitive society that was exposed to the rest of the Galaxy by early space travellers before the introduction of the Prime Directive, though they managed to retain their cultural identity, living in nomadic tribes and settling disputes with duels. Capella had become a protectorate of the Federation, and many Capellans had joined Starfleet as Security officers, their size, stamina and demeanour seemingly making them ideal.

But Eydiir had joined to study medicine, with the justification that the fight against injury or disease was every bit as valid as that against Klingons or Cardassians. And, she reasoned, the physical well-being of the fellow members of her Squad was included in that.

But damn it, did she have to be so relentless at it?

"I am going... to crawl into... that mess hall," Neraxis was promising hoarsely as she undressed, her cerulean skin beaded with sweat. "And I am going to eat everything. All the food, the chairs, the tables... you too, Scrappy, if I can get a good hold of you."

Eydiir was nearby, looking none the worse for wear for her workout. "Pegging out would defeat the purpose of this morning's physical training."

Beside her, Sasha was pulling up the bottom of her T-shirt to mop her brow, revealing a pale pink midriff. "It's 'pigging out'. Pigs are a Terran mammal with a reputation for overeating."

Jonas looked away, afraid of being caught watching. It had been three days since their arrival on board the Surefoot, working and studying under the AWE Program that took them out of Starfleet Academy and into the real world. It had become the most exciting time of his life, as exciting as his first spacewalk when he was a kid, helping out his mother and her crew in her salvage company. And his friends in Alpha Squad were the best, better companions than he had known in his first year as a cadet - even Giles, when he wasn't being a smarmy jerk.

But there were times, like this, when the female members of the Squad seemed so... casual... about undressing, about hopping in and out of the sonic showers... they weren't flaunting themselves, or doing anything enticing or flirtatious. Far from it; they were professional, and rightfully expecting the same from their male comrades.

And Giles seemed cool about it all as well - but then he was tall, broad-shouldered, blonde and full of teeth, a poster boy for Starfleet Academy. And Kitirik, the only Qarari in Starfleet let alone their Squad, was not bothered by what humanoids looked like without their clothes. Curious, maybe, but not bothered.

It wasn't fair! Why did Jonas have to be the only self-conscious one among them?

He started at a pair of blue fingers snapping in front of him. "Hey, Scrappy, you okay?"

He nodded absently. "Yeah, just aching from those shoulder rolls."

Neraxis grinned, standing there with a towel wrapped around her, leaning in and whispering, "Yeah, I'll have a word with Sasha, see if she can get Tall Dark and Dour to ease up next time." She patted him on the shoulder. "Come on, better get in line."

He nodded, waiting until she turned away before dropping his exercise trousers, leaving himself in boxers; he was not prepared to go all the way, and he didn't care what anyone said about it.

There were twin sonic showers in their bathroom, and Sasha had set up a random rota for their use in the morning, with Kit and herself in first, while others used the time waiting for whatever ablutions they performed at the twin sinks. Jonas felt the vibrations from the shower through the adjacent wall he was leaning against, a somnolent effect that conspired with his fatigue to make him snooze standing up - until he moved, and felt more protests from his shoulder and neck muscles. Who needs to roll on the floor, anyway?

"Jonas."

He looked up; Eydiir was standing behind him, not appearing sweaty or tired or anything normal, of course. Her usual stoic expression, however, now displayed what looked like sympathy, as did her tone. "I realise you are not accustomed to the levels of exertion that some of us are. Yet you persisted without complaint, which was more than Giles did; for a while, I thought his mouth obtained the most exercise."

At the sink, Giles stopped splashing beard suppressant on his face to note, "I'm standing right here while you're talking about me."

"Indeed." She focused on Jonas again. "I just wanted you to know that I admire your resolve." She nodded at his shoulder. "But it's obvious you are in pain as a result. Here, allow me."

"What? No, it's okay-"

But she reached up from behind and put her hands on him, fingers kneading strongly. A wave of initial pain ran through him... quickly replaced with relief, as her efforts released the tension and knots, making him close his eyes and relax.

"Hey, I get the next go with those Magic Hands," Neraxis quipped.

"No sorcery is involved, and I am not as familiar with Bolian musculature, but I will endeavour to learn more. Is this working for you, Jonas?"

A sound from the sink made Jonas open his eyes again, as Giles was staring in his direction, guffawing and declaring, "It sure looks like it's working!"

Jonas blinked, confused - what the hell was he talking about? - just as one of the sonic shower doors slid open, and Sasha stepped out, towel around her. "What's going on?"

Jonas' heart leaped into his throat, and he didn't have to look down to know what everyone else was staring at. He caught Sasha's eyes, saw the embarrassment there, the embarrassment that mirrored his own.

Now Kit emerged, wrapped in his own towel. "Respected friends, I-" Then he stopped, nonplussed. "Friend Jonas, are you suffering from some sort of an allergic reaction?"

That broke the ice, making some of them giggle, or even laugh out loud.

Before he could die of mortification, Jonas dipped out of Eydiir's grasp and rushed back to the sleeping area to get dressed, not caring if he stank for the rest of the day.

"Jonas?" Neraxis followed him in, still clad in a towel. "Hey, Buddy, it's no big deal."

"I know." He couldn't look at her, afraid he was now as red as she was blue.

"I've got six brothers," she reminded him mildly, putting a hand on his shoulder. "It's nothing I haven't seen before."

He pulled away from her, carrying his combadge instead of staying to pin it on, still unable to look at her. "Gotta go."

"Buddy-" She reached out for him again.

But he dodged and almost rushed out, ignoring the others as he exited into the corridor, wishing for an amnesia virus to strike them all, or a spatial anomaly to swallow him up.

The remaining Alpha Squad members looked at each other with mixed measures of confusion and chagrin, the perplexed looking Kit's throat turning yellow-red. "Why did Friend Jonas leave? I thought we were meant to breakfast together? Was he going to Sickbay?"

"We, ah..." Sasha fought to control her ongoing blushes as she looked to the rest of the Squad. "We should get dressed and get ready for our shift. And maybe Eydiir can explain to you what happened."

Better her than me, Sasha thought, thinking she would probably screw that up the way she screwed this up.

*

Deck 1, Bridge:

First Officer Commander T'Varik sat in the Captain's Chair, hearing the doors slide open behind her, but never veering her gaze from the PADD in her hand as she announced clearly, "The 0800 shift begins at 0800 hours; I do not expect you to arrive at that time, but to be ready to begin your duties, is that understood?"

"Yes, Ma'am," came a deep, purring, familiar voice. "Sorry, Ma'am, won't happen again."

T'Varik looked up, but did not turn around, aware that it might be construed as surprise; other races had an illogical need to 'catch out' Vulcans in the alleged display of emotion. "Captain, you are unexpected. Have you forgotten that CPO Grev is meant to be senior officer on Alpha Shift?"

He stepped into view, along with several members of Alpha Squad. "I switched with him at the last minute. He wanted some extra time to prepare some egregiously difficult tests for the Engineering cadets today." He rested a hand on the arm of his chair. "Status?"

"All systems nominal. The news and messages arrived at 0455 hours, the systems software updates and Level 3 diagnostic tests have been completed, we are good to go to warp and proceed to Luntanu."

"Well, we will be as soon as you've vacated my chair."

T'Varik offered a look at some of the cadets who'd sniggered at Hrelle's remarks, before rising and stepping aside. The Caitian settled into the padded cushion. "Ahh, nice and comfy, you must see about warming all my seats from now on, Commander."

He looked around, winking at his stepdaughter Sasha at Ops (though Sasha looked distracted for some reason, which he put down to her wanting to act professional), Neraxis at Tactical, and Eydiir and Kit at one of the Science stations, next to the enticing - and annoying - Counselor Kami Shall, acting as instructor; at least today she had chosen to wear a standard uniform instead of the usual minidress. And - "Who's this at Helm?"

The figure turned in her seat and rose to attention, a slim, earnest Terran girl with soft, dark features, her arms straight at her side. "Cadet Rina Chaudri reporting as ordered, Sir!"

Hrelle blinked. "At ease, Chaudri. I once saw a cadet snap in two doing that." He looked to T'Varik. "Where's Giles?"

"Mr Arrington is spending Alpha Shift in the hangar bay with Lt. Velkovsky preparing for his shuttle pilot certification." Her expression narrowed, slightly. "It appears my counterpart at the Academy Annex where Mr Arrington was based was negligent in completing this before the start of the Program. I, of course, would not have allowed such an oversight."

"Of course."

"Cadet Chaudri has agreed to cover for him for Alpha Shift." To the nervous-looking young woman she added, "Which she will be unable to do if she continues to stand there."

"What- oh, yes, Ma'am, of course, Ma'am." She returned to her place.

Hrelle leaned back in his chair, suppressing amusement, remembering being just as nervous on his first assignment. "Very well, Ms Chaudri: set a course for the colony on Karakol, Warp One, proceed when ready."

He watched the girl at the helm console in front of him move her fingers over the panels.

Then again.

And again.

She was tensing now.

Hrelle could feel more eyes on her as the expected signals did not come about. He wanted to say something, but thought that would only make the girl feel worse.

T'Varik had no hesitation, however. "Cadet Chaudri, is there a problem?"

The girl didn't look up, and Hrelle could almost smell the anxiety from her as she stammered, "N-No, Ma'am, I'm-"

The Vulcan started to approach, but Hrelle held up a hand to stop her, before rising himself and approaching, kneeling down beside Chaudri as the girl was beginning to appear stressed. She looked to him, eyes wide, almost teary-eyed. "Sorry, Sir, I- I'm just-"

"Shhh." He kept his voice low, friendly, showing no anger or anxiety. He still remembered his outburst with Giles the other evening, and how that might have left some of the new arrivals intimidated by him. "Put your hands on your lap. Take a deep breath. Come on, do it."

Chaudri bit her lip as she did so.

"Now," he continued, "Just remember your ASIDES."

"Sir?"

"ASIDES. The mnemonic. Don't they teach that any more?" He looked to T'Varik, before returning to Chaudri. "A-S-I-D-E-S. You'll know it as we go through it, and I want you to take the appropriate action at the appropriate time, okay?" When she nodded, he started with, "A: Astrogation plotted, so we're going to the correct destination."

Her fingers moved over the navigation panels, breathing out. "Astrogation plotted, Sir."

"S: Structural Integrity Field online, so the ship doesn't rip apart when we hit warp."

She moved more confidently now. "Structural Integrity Field online."

"I?" He asked, prompting.

And Chaudri picked it up. "Inertial Dampening Field online."

He nodded. "So we don't turn into paste inside the ship. Then there's D-"

"Deflector dish online," she finished, her hands moving swiftly over the panels. "E: Engineering alerted that we're about to go to warp."

"Excellent. And finally the second S."

Chaudri started, but then stopped and looked to him in confusion.

"Smile," he replied warmly. "You've made it to where you have wanted to be: at the helm of a starship, about to outrace light itself. This is what your ancestors and mine dreamt about when they were planetbound and looking up at the stars." Then he leaned back. "What's more, you have *me* as your Captain! And I'm *amazing*! I'd marry myself if I wasn't such a loud snorer!"

That made her grin, and then blush at her own reaction.

"Now," he finished up, "Since the folks on Luntanu are probably waiting for their medicines and mail and ice cream and such, maybe we should get going, yes?"

Chaudri smiled and nodded, showing none of the anxiety she had displayed moments before. "Aye aye, Sir! Luntanu, Warp One!"

He straightened up, watching the screen and feeling the subtle shift as the space outside the Surefoot warped and propelled them forward.

"Warp One achieved, Sir," Chaudri announced proudly.

He patted her on the shoulder. "Keep us at Warp One for an hour, and take us up a warp factor at hourly increments until we reach Warp Four, and then hold. The old girl deserves a bit of foreplay."

"Yes, Sir."

Hrelle smiled and moved back to his chair - but not before feeling his ears twitch, and he looked behind him, confirming that Kami was sitting there, looking at him - and purring too, a sound only he could hear. He frowned at her; why was she acting that way?

He started when T'Varik drew up to his other side, her voice low. "Captain, if I may have a word in private?"

"Of course, Commander." He walked around to the outer ring of the bridge and towards the doors to his adjacent office, but not before he stopped and looked at Sasha. "Ms Hrelle, you're in command until further notice."

She had been pretending not to be eavesdropping on the adults, but now straightened up, her jaw almost dropping open. "Sir?"

"Just don't leave sticky child's fingerprints all over the seat, and you'll do fine."

As the clearly-delighted Sasha moved from Ops to the Captain's chair, Kami rose as well. "Do you mind if I tag along for this as well?"

T'Varik looked to her archly. "Your presence will not be necessary, Counselor."

Kami smiled. "If I had a credit for every time someone told me that..." She brushed past them and towards the corridor outside.

Hrelle just shook his head. "Best not to try to argue with her, T'Varik, believe me."

*

In his office, Kami took a seat, sitting on it backwards and resting her arms and chin on the back of it, her tail swishing gently behind her, while Hrelle leaned against his desk and gave T'Varik his full attention, having worked out that something was bothering her. And that he was probably at fault. "So, what's up, Commander?"

"Captain, our arrangement onboard your ship was that I would remain in charge of the cadets, their behaviour and development. Your actions with Cadet Chaudri were in violation of that arrangement."

He nodded, as if considering her words, and then replied with, "I'm afraid you're in error, Commander."

She raised an eyebrow.

Watching them, Kami chuckled, "If you had a coat, T'Varik, right now I'd be asking if you want me to hold it for you while you two fight it out."

The Vulcan ignored her. "Would you care to enlighten me as to the nature of my... error, Captain?"

"You are quite right about our arrangement. When the cadets are doing all their cadet work - taking instruction, taking exams, planning their careers and reviewing their work to date - you have the final say, though I might kibbitz from time to time."

"'Kibbitz'?"

"Never mind. As I was saying, when they're being cadets, they're yours." Now he straightened up, indicating the door. "But when they're out there doing the grown-up things like bridge duty and other real work, they're members of my crew."

"Then I must question your approach towards your crew. I have observed you at length. You are overly familiar, both with the permanent members and with the cadets. It is not professional."

"Oh?" He folded his arms across his chest.

"And if you had a coat, Hrelle..." Kami remarked.

Now he acknowledged the Counselor. "Do you have something more than jokes to offer here?"

"Yes, actually. The Commander is right, you are overly familiar." Then she looked at T'Varik. "But then you're too distant, so it all balances out."

"Indeed?" The Vulcan did not sound at all convinced.

Kami chuckled. "Merely the opinion of someone who's been a Counselor for as long as you've been an instructor, and for as long as the Captain's been a commanding officer. Your approach is obviously successful back at the Academy, dealing with hundreds of cadets on familiar ground.

But this is different. They're in smaller groups, they're far from home, and expected to work and live like adults, some of them for the first time in their lives. It will be stressful. Hell, it's stressful for the more experienced officers and noncoms; smaller crews like ours will naturally gravitate towards familiarity. They need us, and all our individual approaches to them."

"And when they're with me," Hrelle declared, "Then my approach is to be Papa Bear. And that's non-negotiable. Is that clear?"

Her expression shifted, and she clasped hands behind her back. "I... believe it is, Sir."

"So, to recap: when they're crew and not cadets, what am I?"

"You are the commanding officer."

He shook his head. He wasn't prepared to let her go that easily. "That's not what I said. What am I?"

She drew a breath before finally replying, with as much reluctance as a Vulcan could reasonably display, "You are... Papa Bear."

He held out his arms magnanimously. "Thank you. Now, Commander, I know you've just finished your shift, but would you mind going back in and telling Sasha that I'll be in here doing paperwork and probably having a nap, and that she'll have to stay in charge for a little while longer?"

"I cannot imagine her protesting overmuch about that." She nodded and started towards the door.

But not before Hrelle said, "Commander T'Varik?"

She stopped and looked at him one final time. "Sir?"

He regarded her with genuine feeling. "The cadets are marvellous, and will make exemplary members of Starfleet - and a big part of that is due to your hard work and expertise. You have my appreciation and gratitude; neither may be logical, but I promise they're both deserved."

She regarded him, her eyes widening slightly, before replying, "You are... welcome, Captain."

Then she departed, allowing Hrelle to focus on Kami, who was sitting there, still giving him that enigmatic look - her tail swishing furiously behind her as she started purring again. "What's wrong with you?"

She lifted her head. "You're a sexy bastard, did you know that?"

Surefoot
Surefoot
205 Followers