Suspicion Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"She would like you to call her tonight. Her car is at the repair shop and she wants to talk to you about the cost. The initial estimate is around $550 dollars." There was no accusatory tone in my voice as I waited for Kathy to reply.

I could see Kathy's mind was working at hundred miles an hour as she was formulating a response in her mind. She lowered her eyes to look at the food on her plate, but it was obvious she couldn't continue to look me directly in the eyes.

"What else did Nancy say about the accident?" Kathy finally said in a low voice.

"Mom had an accident?!?" Jason blurted out as his eyes opened wider at the prospect of some exciting news.

"I guess so, Jason. It seems that Mom backed into this lady's car in a parking lot." My reply cut off Kathy's answer.

"Gee Mom, when did this happen? Was anybody hurt?" It was Christi's turn to jump into the conversation.

"Slow down you two. Give your mother a chance to tell us all about it." I tried to hush the children down so Kathy could talk.

"Did Nancy say anything else about the accident?" Kathy asked her question again.

"Not that I can recall. She seemed like she was in a hurry or something." I lied. Something I had never done to my wife. Was it a little-white-lie or was it a lie of entrapment?

Kathy seemed relieved for the moment. "It was just a minor fender bender in the parking lot. No one was hurt and there was no damage to my car. The bumper of my car broke the lady's tail light and make a small dent in her fender. That's all that happened." No additional details were forth coming. I was kind of disappointed.

"When did this happen, Mom? Where did this happen?" Jason jumped back in with his questions.

"It happened last week, Wednesday. I went to the mall to get a birthday gift for Carol at work. Thursday was her birthday and I needed to get a gift for her." Kathy replied in a calm matter-of-fact voice.

"You were at the mall and you didn't take me?!?" Christi looked at her mom with surprise. Mall shopping for Christi ranked up there with a having a slumber party with all of her girl friends.

"I ran over to the mall at lunch time. It was a quick in and out trip. I got Carol a silk scarf along with a charm for her bracelet." Kathy replied as Christi had a childish pout on her face.

Maybe Nancy was wrong about the day. Maybe it was Wednesday and not Tuesday as she said on the phone. But, I don't think she could be that wrong about where the accident occurred. Why did Kathy have to change the location and the day?

The suspicion worm burrowed deeper into my conscious mind. That look in Kathy's eyes. The shocked expression on her face. What is going on behind those eyes? What is my loving wife trying to conceal from me?

"So it was no big deal, huh Mom?" Jason said in a disappointed voice. I guess he was hoping for a more dramatic accident. A broken tail light didn't raise his level of interest.

"That's right, Jason. No big deal. It's just that Carol's gift is going to cost me more than I really wanted to pay." Kathy said with a soft smile on her face. She seemed to have recovered her composure very quickly. I didn't pursue the issue any further.

Later that evening, the children were up in their rooms doing their homework. Kathy had gone off to our bedroom to return Nancy's call. Maybe she wanted to talk to Nancy in private. I didn't question why she needed some privacy for the call.

The stereo playing and the TV off as I sat in the den. There was a open book on my lap and a Jack Daniel's in my hand. My mind was in its most analytical mode at this time. It was slowly and methodically going over the past several months trying to uncover any more clues or unusual events which might further support a theory of infidelity that was forming in my mind.

Nothing. Not a single thing, except that bruise mark, during those months would make me suspect anything had changed in our relationship. Our sex life had not suddenly gotten better or gotten worse. Kathy was still the same loving and considerate wife. She didn't dress differently. She didn't go on business trips or have to work late evening hours. So why won't this suspicion in my mind go away?

But, there was that look in her eyes. Twice. A look I had never seen before. Her facial expression of surprise and guilt for only a fleeting second could not be explained away. And now the lying about the car accident. These ugly thoughts were causing my chest muscles to tighten.

"I told Nancy to have her car repaired and I would pay the repair shop as soon as the work was done." Kathy said as she entered the room. Her words snapped my mind back to the present tense.

She gave me an inquisitive look as if she expected me to say something more about the accident. I didn't comment or ask any questions.

"I'm sorry I didn't mention the accident the day it happened, honey. I just was very tense over the incident and I didn't want you to stress over it. I was going to tell you after I got the call from Nancy. It seems you got her call first. I am sorry I didn't tell you sooner." Kathy sat down on the sofa across from me. I had the feeling there was something she was still concerned about, but she didn't know how to broach the subject. Maybe she found out that Nancy told me where and when the accident really happened. Maybe she was wanting me to question her about the discrepancy in her story.

"I'm glad you settled the matter with Nancy. I'm glad it wasn't any more serious." Was my simple reply.

After my response, Kathy seemed a little more relieve. "Aren't you going to watch LOST tonight on TV? It is on tonight isn't it?" Her questions seemed now to put the accident incident to rest. No sense in her mind to dwell on this sticky issue.

"No. I think I'll skip the show for now. I have enough convoluted mystery and intrigue going on at this time. I'll let Jack and the rest of the crew on the island manage by themselves this week." I smiled at her and took another sip of my drink.

"Well then, I think I'll go upstairs and pour myself a hot tub filled with bubble bath. Then I'll soak in it till my skin turns pink." Kathy said as she got up from the sofa and walked over to me with a smile on her face. She leaned over and kissed me on the forehead.

"Would you check on the kids before you come to bed? I want to make sure their homework is done and make sure they don't stay up too late." Her voice was the same sweet loving voice that I've come to know and love for these past 16 years.

"Sure will, lover. I'll crack the whip if I have to tame those two monsters of ours. Now go and enjoy you soak in the tub." I made a kissing sound with my lips as she smiled and walked toward the stairs.

"Don't stay up too late, lover boy. I'll be in bed waiting for you." She giggled as she walked up the steps. I could feel my erection beginning to grow. Kathy is one sexy and passionate woman when she gets in the mood. A hot bubble bath always gets her in the mood. I knew we were in for a hot night between the sheets when I came up to bed.

My first thought was how those suspicions might effect my intimate feelings toward the woman I love and worship. I had no tangible proof of any infidelity on her part. Nothing but this nagging worm of suspicion that wouldn't go away.

An hour later, I shut everything off downstairs and went up to check on the kids. Jason was intent on the video game he held in his hand.

"OK young man, show me the homework assignment." I said as I quickly snatched the Game-Boy out of his hands.

"Oh Dad!! I was just about to get to the tenth level. Now you messed it all up." Jason said with a pout on his face.

"You'll have all summer to get to the twelfth level if that's your goal. Right now, we're trying to get you through the fifth grade at school." I poked him gently in the ribs. "Now the homework young man."

Christi was already in bed. She heard the noise from her brother in the other bedroom. Now she wanted to play the Daddy's little girl routine on me. It always worked. I kissed her good night and turned the light off.

Sex that night with Kathy was incredible. The smell of her sweet perfumed body was intoxicating for me. Cunnilingus was the best I had ever performed on Kathy. My tongue and lips brought her to several very intense orgasms. The coupling of our bodies was like the mating of two eternal soulmates. There was no distance between our minds or our emotions as I pressed my cock deep inside her body. The only thing that mattered was the love we were sharing at that very moment. My climax and the pouring of my seed into her womb was an earth shaking experience that left my gasping for breath.

No words needed to be spoken between us. We spooned our bodies together in a lovers' embrace and fell into a peaceful sleep.

**************

That Saturday, Kathy and her sister went off to do some girl shopping. The children were over playing with their cousins while Todd had the baby sitting responsibility. Lucky me had nothing special to do and a quiet house all to myself. Since I was restless, I decided to wash both of our cars. Evelyn had driven her SUV, so Kathy's car was still in the garage.

It was a great day outside so I took my time washing and vacuuming the two cars. I cleaned the carpets and then did the trunks of both cars. While I was vacuuming the trunk of Kathy's car, I saw a small piece of white plastic sticking up from the edge of the wheel-well compartment. I pulled back the mat and found a white bag lying on top of the spare tire. When I opened the bag, my heart almost stopped inside my chest.

Inside the bag were several intimate apparel items including a sexy lace bra, panties, garter belt and black stockings. The items looked like something a woman would buy at Victoria's Secret. I had never seen these garments before. All of the sale tags were removed from them so I knew they were not brand new and they looked like they had been worn before. The crotch in the panties had a distinct smell of female odor. Kathy's smell.

I stood there dumbfounded looking at a bag full of garments which had only one purpose. Was I holding 'the smoking gun' in my hand? Was this the missing link in the story I had been forcing myself to deny for the past several weeks?

I put everything back in the bag and returned the bag where I found it. I put away the cleaning equipment and put Kathy's car back in the garage. Anyone who might have seen me at that moment would surely think they were watching a robot or a zombie walking around the cars. I was in a daze. My mind refused to function correctly. Nothing but chaos and confusion reigned inside my mind.

Finally, I locked up the house and drove to the corner convenient store. I bought a 6 pack of beer and then drove over to the lake. There was a secluded parking place away from the weekend crowd. Sitting back with a cold beer in my hand, I tried to make some sense of the events of the past couple of weeks.

Until I found the lingerie in the trunk of Kathy's car, all I had were vague suspicions that Kathy might have been unfaithful. Now, with the latest discovery could there be any doubt of her infidelity? I didn't think there could be any other reasonable explanation.

Still, I had no idea of what I should do next. Confront her immediately? Demand explanations and proof of her fidelity? Should I remain silent until I had definite undeniable proof? But even then, what would I do with the damning evidence? Should I divorce her?

My mind, which is usually very good at analyzing problems, was failing me miserably. There seemed to be no win-win solution to the dilemma if in fact Kathy had cheated on our marriage.

It took several hours to finish the sixth beer. The sun was setting on the horizon across the lake. I felt a slight buzz from the alcohol, but I was far from being intoxicated. I also realized I was hungry and needed to get home. But, how was I going to act when I got home? What kind of existence would I have to live to maintain the status quo? The missing part of the equation was Kathy's explanation for all of my suspicions. Could she have rational reasons which would dispel all of my doubts?

I arrived home to find Kathy on the phone. She turned and looked at me as I entered the house. Her faces was filled with worry and concern.

"My god, Paul! Where have you been all afternoon? You had us worried sick. You weren't here when Evelyn and I got back from shopping. Todd didn't know where you were either." There was a high level of angst in her voice as she put down the phone.

I walked into the kitchen area and got a glass of cold water from the refrigerator. Our eyes never connected until I sat down at the table.

"I was out at the lake. I have a lot on my mind that I needed to think about and try to sort out."

I looked up at her and our eyes locked. I could see the fear in her eyes. There was fear mixed with anxiety as her mind was trying to assess the words from the person sitting at the table.

"What's wrong, Paul? Are you sick or something?" Her words were full of concern but they did not convey the dread she was feeling inside.

"Yes, you could say I'm sick. But its not a physical illness. I'm sick in my soul."

At that moment, Kathy's stoic demeanor crumbled before my eyes. There was no doubt in her mind that I knew her secret. She slowly sank down on one of the kitchen chairs.

"What's his name? Are you in love with him?" My voice was calm. No anger or accusing tone of voice.

Kathy looked at me as tears welled up in her eyes. "His name is Karl Gerring. And yes, I am in love with him."

This is the end of chapter 1. I have already finished the story with my version of chapter 2 which I will hold in reserve until I read the comments from the readers.

As I mulled over the entire story in my mind, I came up with several very plausible ways to take the story line to conclusion. I hope the conclusion I have chosen meets with the approval of the majority of the learned readers. If not, then I take solace in the fact that it is only fiction and my livelihood does not depend on the approval of the masses.

I would very much enjoy having any of you daring and adventurous writers submit your version of how chapter 2 should be concluded. Thank you.

12