Syd's Soiree Ch. 3

Story Info
Sexual tension between partners rises as search continues.
2.2k words
2.6
20.7k
1
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 3: Logan & La Fay

(Special thanks to Morgaine the Mistress of the Rain for her inspiration and collaboration)

The heavy night captured the beams of the streetlights into well-defined pools. A neon sign flickered with an eerie red glow from the Hotel across the street. The air was thick with a mist that so desperately wanted to be rain but couldn't pull itself together. There was no traffic in this forsaken section of the city. Detective Logan stood aloof on the corner, the trail of cigarette smoke leading up from his pursed lips swirling over his head and dissipating into the street light above. From under the cover of his old Yankees cap his bright eyes pierced through the solemn night.

Heaving a sigh he slipped back into the doorway of the abandoned derelict of a building, never taking his steely stare from the entrance to the Hotel across the dark street. Concealed in the shadows, only the slight orange glow from his cigarette visible, Logan leaned on the building capturing the environment, longing to be spending his Friday night at Syd's, and not chasing some apparition of his partner's overactive imagination. With a last pull on his smoke, brightening the ash for just a moment, he flipped the spent cigarette into the street and looked down at his watch. Time seemed to slow to a crawl out here. He glanced up the street and then down, peering into the darkness, seeing a vast wasteland of nothing. Only a sewer rat scampered into an alley a block down scaring up the howl of a cat briefly cutting through the night.

Movement in the Hotel caught Logan's attention. His hand slipped into his jacket and rested lightly on his weapon-holstered snuggly there. His eyes squinted to cut through the dark entrance. The sound of unintelligible voices drifted across the street. Concentrating, he heard La Fay's voice, frustration permeated each syllable. Slowly Logan stepped into the street and ventured across the open space, moving stealthily toward the door. Just as he stepped onto the sidewalk near the Hotel, the door slammed and Lt. La Fay backed out onto the sidewalk-bumping square into her partner. Instinctively Logan wrapped his long arms around La Fay to prevent her from falling. She turned with a jerk looking up to Logan's eyes. Her stare held a mixture of hope and fear. Not the usual stoic hard walled stare Logan was used to seeing in his protected partner.

"Oh, it's you." La Fay muttered as she stepped back from Logan's grasp.

As she muttered the words her eyes caught Logan's and time paused. A flash chemical reaction electrified the night sending a slight riff down Logan's back. This was nothing new to Logan. There have been numerous times during their partnership in which the sexual tension had split through the air like a flash of lightening. At one point following a hostage crisis on the Upper East Side, huddled behind a dumpster in a dark alley they had even kissed. Both agreed it was the stress of the gunfight and was a fluke never to be repeated. Since then La Fay's guard had been impenetrable even by Logan's best covert efforts. During the brief lapse in time her words echoed through his brain bouncing off the crevices of his longing for her.

With a quick turn, La Fay began to walk away toward the car. Her head snapped around so fast, her hair breezed across Logan's face. He gave a moment to smell the passing, before slumping his shoulders and sighing to follow her down the street. La Fay's walk was even more strident tonight than usual. She reached the unmarked vehicle and quickly climbed in the driver side and cranked the engine. La Fay insisted on driving, something the other male Detectives used to rib Logan for. He slumped into the passenger side, almost instantly La Fay peeled off into the night, her acceleration closing Logan's door.

"Syd's?" Logan asked hopeful that the rest of his Friday evening would be spent in the warm comfort of his friends and ample alcohol at Syd's.

She shot a look at him through the corner of her eye, not moving her head as the car sped into the city through the night.

"Lt. . . ." Logan paused.

"What, Detective?" Her voice shot through the car.

"What did you find out?"

"Not much."

Logan glanced out the window at the passing buildings. The streetlights blurred through his field of vision. They had been chasing this "missing person" for over a week. Logan had been little to no help. He knew nothing of the investigation, let alone why it seemed to occupy so much of La Fay's entire being. His confusion had slowly begun to shift from curiosity to jealousy. This "phantom" had come between his partner and him. Logan had never really pined for La Fay. He had always been attracted to her in some way, but he had never let that slow his rather active love life. She was his partner, untouchable, out of reach. He laid his life in her hands on a daily basis and he was a firm believer that any kind of sex or romantic involvement would ultimately compromise their safety. Oh yes, he had other women to occupy him, however since the masquerade at Syd's his interest in the others had waned. Just as La Fay focused on finding this "phantom" Logan focused on La Fay.

"God damn it La Fay. Let's drop this wild goose chase for just one night and relax a bit." Logan blurted out into the silence. As his words escaped, his brain frantically tried to recall them.

Silence.

"OK" La Fay muttered, twisting the car around a corner and back toward the comfort of Syd's.

The drive to Syd's seemed long to Logan. Perhaps because of the utter and uncomfortable silence that prevailed throughout the atmosphere of the car. Logan watched La Fay as she navigated the darkened city streets into the bustling busy streets of the blocks that surrounded their popular hangout. Lt. La Fay wore a visage of angered determination. For ten days she had pursued the "phantom" relentlessly. Trips not unlike the night's earlier visit to the seedy Hotel had turned up fruitless. Hints and clues dropped out of the blue just as Logan had convinced her to stop only to spur her further. And through this time Logan trailed along behind her, watching her, calculating her reactions and emotions, being drawn into to her through no effort of her own.

As La Fay slid the car into an open spot across the street from Syd's, Logan felt the mood lighten. He was looking forward to getting into the bar and pounding a couple cold ones. Checking in with the old gang. Following the Lt. on this investigation had kept them out of Syd's for longer than Logan likes to go. Once the car stopped Logan popped his door open and started to get out of the car.

"Logan . . ." La Fay uttered softly, stopping the Detective in his tracks. "Listen, don't tell anyone about our investigation. Keep it between us."

Logan turned in the seat and looked at La Fay. She peered at him with her crystal blue eyes, reaching out to her partner with, what seemed to him, more than this simple request for silence. A moment passed and he nodded agreement. She glanced downward and turned to get out of the car.

"Will you be able to relax in here, Lt.?" Logan asked half hoping they could go somewhere alone that would not be associated with work.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. Thanks." She said almost flippantly as they walked into the crowded scene.

A sultry tune played from the corner jukebox as La Fay made her way around the room, well worn faded levis clinging to her hips, beneath the open leather jacket her holster snuggly fit over her tight little t-shirt, Logan watched her out of the corner of his eye, noticing the air about her had changed drastically as her eyes darted around the crowded room, finally coming to rest just behind the bar. Her chest heaved, her hard eyes relaxed for a brief moment on the movements behind the bar before turning to look at Logan, it was then that he noticed the dark circles under her eyes. She smiled weakly up at him as she took her seat up at the bar.

Regular's gathered around the two greeting them, asking what had kept them at bay for the last two weeks.

Jenny came up behind Morgaine, wrapped her arms around her neck in a friendly hug, kissing her on her cheek. La Fay turned slightly, smiling at the sight of her friend, Logan watched as Jenny whispered something into her ear, and La Fay erupted with a husky laugh, amused and intrigued all the same, he was happy to see his partner smile & laugh for a change.

From behind the bar Max worked, grabbing a pint glass filling it with ice about ready to pour ice-tea into when Logan stopped him.

"We're officially off duty tonight, how about two Bass beers," he said looking over at his partner, she nodded slightly.

"I'll take a Sambucca as well Max, on the rock please." La Fay whispered breaking from Jenny's embrace.

He raised his eyebrows at her from behind the bar as he poured their drinks, noting the unusual request from the Lieutenant -- she usually didn't drink, at least not at his bar. Placing their drinks in front of them he watched her, as she took a long pull from her beer, turning in her seat to let her gaze fall on the room, her eyes always searching, always on duty. He watched her as he worked, she held her self together with such control, but he noticed how her hand shook a little as she reached for her drink, the paleness under her honey colored skin, the dark circles that hung under her pale blue eyes. He wondered to him self, when was the last time she slept -for any given amount of hours in a row.

La Fay absently stirred at the milky licorice concoction on ice, her eyes falling again on the old picture behind the bar of Syd's. Logan watched her as she pulled her drink closer, sipping from the highball straw, her eyes darting between the picture on the wall and the man behind the bar. As her eyes squinted, her pain was manifesting.

"Lt . . . Lt . . . Morgaine!" Logan hissed under her breath as he leaned in closer to his partner.

"Hmm?" La Fay turned to Logan, her eyes dark and veiled.

"Are you okay? What's going on?"

"Detective, I thought you wanted to relax tonight?"

"I want you to relax tonight, to stop this insanity once and for all." His lips pressed up against her ear as he spoke to her, his hand resting on the small of her back.

"Logan," her voice wavering, "I am fine." La Fay pulled slightly away from his embrace, the heat from his hand spreading through her comforted her and angered her all the same. She turned her head, looking about the room at the bevy of regulars and looking back at Logan, she leaned into him this time.

"I see plenty of your" ---her voice trailed off "...err friends here," her hands waving around the room at the women that frequented Syd's, "there is no need to baby sit me, you normally don't sit with me when your off duty..." Her lips forming a playful smile now at him.

"I happen to enjoy your company."

She responded with her husky laugh, cradling her glass in her hand turning her back to him to watch the couples dancing in the midst of the room.

The two had switched identities for the night, it was usually Logan that made his way around the room, talking with regulars, playing a round of pool, dancing with the ladies. But not tonight. Tonight he sat deep-rooted in his stool at the bar watching La Fay. Her second milky cocktail in hand fluttering about the room pausing at tables every now and then to chat.

As the night grew dim and the hours past the regulars flowed in and out of the bar...a slow melody hummed in the background...Detective Logan watched as two bodies met, his eyes on full alert, he watched his superior, her body melting too easily into another's, she appeared too relaxed, strings tugged at his heart ---quickly he brushed the thought aside, his arm reaching out for the neglected beer in front of him. A ripple of laughter drew his attention back to the dimly lit dance floor; La Fay was hugging her dance partner and making her way back to the bar. Her face flushed, a wearisome smile on her lips.

"Logan" running her fingers through her hair, dangling the keys to her unmarked vehicle, "take me home?"

He stood staring at her as she slid into her leather jacket, pulling a few bills from her pocket she placed them on the bar with out a further glance at the figure busy behind there. Black leather boots turning on the heel, she jingled the keys, "Hey Ace..." tossing them over her shoulder, Logan turning just in time to catch them, "let's go."