Taming an Immortal Ch. 03

Story Info
Lady Rose, the Human Liaison.
5.7k words
4.78
12.6k
22

Part 3 of the 14 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 04/28/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ArtForm
ArtForm
1,147 Followers

Chapter 3: Lady Rose, the human liaison.

A knock on the door.

"You wished to see me my Lord?"

"Yes, come in." Etienne barely looked up as he told her to sit down in front of his desk. The treaties that his father had signed with the local villages and towns lay scattered before him. Most of them needed reviewing and updating seeing that the terms were no longer in effect with the passing of Montgomery Arceneaux.

"Have you settled in?" he asked absently, his eyes still on the paperwork on his desk. "I hope Nahia's cooking suited you." He recalled that he had also instructed the court seamstress to tailor suitable clothes for her. Taking his eyes away for a second, he looked up. "And how are the dresses..."

She was breath taking.

Dressed in pale blue, she looked so forlorn with her black hair falling down in straight lines by the side of her face. As his eyes dipped lower, he frowned at the low cut of her neckline. Since when did Rose fill in those curves? It had to be a trick. The seamstress was known for her marvellous stitching.

"It suits you," he said, watching her eyelashes flutter slightly against her pink cheeks.

She dared not meet his gaze when she whispered "Thank you."

Etienne didn't know why his eyes were transfixed on her face: porcelain that was capable of brewing a fiery temper just underneath. He still had the memory of her face -the look of triumph when she beat him at his own sword -as was the feel of her lips; a surprise against his own.

Close to seven centuries old, Etienne thought himself as blasé and unimpressed by many things; only to find that her one simple kiss had aroused something unspeakable in him. Perhaps it was from the years of absence. She had caught him by surprise and he had let his guard down.

Returning a frown to his face, Etienne focused on the papers before him.

"I am sending Miria on a diplomatic mission and I wish for you to accompany her." He laid out a sample of the treaties he had been studying. Miria was his chief army commander and he trusted her completely, even the life of the human ward before him.

Rose leaned closer, her body pressing against the edge of the desk. The movement only served to expose the top of her curves in the most sensual way. "Would you like me to translate these?" she asked.

Not wanting to direct his gaze to her unintentional invitation, he tilted his chin up in a haughty laugh. "I am capable of reading human writing."

"But I am guessing that Miria cannot."

Clever Rose.

"These treaties have to be updated and negotiated with the village heads, many of whom are wary of Vampires. Having you by Miria's side would help... ease the situation."

Rose pursed her lips, somewhat in disagreement but she made no arguments with him; only gathering the handwritten treaties in her arms.

"If that is all, I will take my leave now my Lord." Her head tipped forward in respect before turning on her heels towards the door.

He blocked her escape in one stride; one hand covering hers that was already on the door handle.

"I'm not done yet."

Hazel eyes snapped up in surprise. "What else?"

There was no hesitation when he lifted his hand to gently stroke the side of her cheek. It was instinctive; he reassured himself - a common course of remedy for her feisty temperament.

"I know you're still angry at me for being late."

Rose stiffened, turning her face away from his touch. "I should find Miria. These documents require a long time to translate."

When she pushed past him, Etienne made no attempt to stop her. He had time. Rose would eventually have to forgive him.

***

Just what was he thinking? Rose was already used to the fact that outsiders often referred to her as his pet but with this new task - he was just making use of her like a token human in his empire! Was this his plan for her all along?

It was always her choice he would say, but in truth the decision had already been made for her.

Turning down the circular stairway, she entered the open courtyard; pausing to take in the chilled fresh air. Miria shouldn't be far away - likely tending to their dragons and horses in the stables.

If she was lucky, she might even sneak Alduin a snack.

The castle grounds were still strange and foreign to her but she followed the smell of sweat and fire that often accompanied dragons, their handlers and the soldiers who trained with them.

"You call that a thrust?" came a mocking sneer. Rose peeped from behind the wooden gates to see a lanky female Vampire snarling down at a soldier. Her hair, like most Purebloods were knee-length white but she had fashioned them into whips with a sharp talon attached at the end of her braid.

This was Miria?

Dressed in a sleek uniform made out of leather, she looked every part a warrior, down to the double sword she swung like fans around her. The tip of her blade met the shivering soldier's collar bone - just missing the jugular of his neck. Rose was sure that had been deliberate.

Miria was about to deliver a final disarming blow when she suddenly stilled, turning around to stare in the direction of the gates.

"I can smell you human... you have once chance to show yourself."

Rose knew she couldn't stay hidden for long. Tightening her grip on her sword, she stepped into view, mustering enough courage to look up into the silvery eyes of the Pureblood towering before her.

The initial confusion clouding Miria's eyes cleared a moment later; the Pureblood taking a step back to study her guest.

"How may I be of assistance Lady Rose?" Her voice was rough, but bore no malice.

"Lord Etienne has ordered me to accompany you on some diplomatic missions." Rose handed her one of the treaties. "I am at your service, as a translator."

Miria raised an eyebrow but did not move to look at the paper. "I was not aware that my missions required... a human companion. After all, it would be in their best interest, to retain all existing arrangements with the Lord of the West."

Shuffling her papers until she found the oldest signed copy of a treaty, she held it upright for Miria. "This here was dated more than a hundred years ago. The village head that signed this would be dead by now." At Miria's frown, she insisted, "And upon his death, any mutual arrangements you have made would cease."

It was the only treaty in the pile that had the length of the agreement based on the human's age. Most of the other villages assumed the perpetual protection and conditions of their immortal Lord - except now, he was dead.

Snatching the document, Miria tried hard to make sense of the swiggles of human script. "What is the name of this village?" she demanded, finally giving up when her eyes started to cross in frustration.

"Eilean, village of the river people."

Miria nodded, turning her head upwards as though thinking. "Eilean is a peaceful village - one of the first treaties signed by Lord Montgomery Arceneaux." Then looking back down at Rose, she smiled. "Perhaps you are right my Lady. Immortals - we do not view time as you humans do. It is an oversight we must correct."

Rose relaxed slightly. It was humbling to have her views accepted by Miria. But, it would still take time before Miria or any of the Vampires in the household truly saw her having any value.

That was when she felt the cold sharp tip of Miria's sword close to her chest.

"Draw your sword." It wasn't a request. "To travel with me, I need to know that you won't be of a nuisance. If you get caught by rabid wolves... then you will fight your own way out."

Rose could only nod, frozen in her spot as she unsheathed her blade; hand quivering slightly.

"Oh?" exclaimed Miria when Rose's blade glimmered in full sunlight. "You must be extraordinary my Lady, to be given such a privilege..."

Her first blow was without warning; the blade slicing deep across Rose's arm. She barely had time to register the dangling sleeve when Miria came down with another slash, this time aiming for her head.

Unlike her little game with Lord Etienne, Miria was only holding back a little, swivelling her swords at full speed and strength - aimed to incapacitate her.

Rose did not think she was going to die by a blade on her first day at the castle!

"Stop running little girl and fight me!" roared Miria.

Determined, Rose met her next blow, holding back the Vampire's attack with a defensive block but Miria was too strong - her weight was pushing down hard on Rose's sword. If she could just muster enough strength to push back...

"Miria!"

A bright flash of white swooped past her; the force pushing her off balance and throwing her a few feet away. Rose had barely crawled to her feet when she caught sight of Lord Etienne holding Miria up by her neck.

"Rose's life belongs to me." Cold cold words said matter of factly through clenched teeth. "I have killed others who threatened to harm her."

"I... apologise my Lord!" Miria struggled against his hold, his claws cutting into her circulation. "I beg of you!"

His blank expression bore no pity or sympathy; golden eyes staring hard at Miria. A blink was all it would take to snuff the life out of the female Pureblood.

She had to stop him.

Breaking into a run, Rose launched herself at his feet; arms wound tight around his calf.

"Please Lord Etienne. It was my fault. Miria was only training me," she cried.

At the sound of Miria's body hitting the floor, Rose looked up to see that he had released his hold on her; his fiery golden eyes softening to silver once more.

"Thank her for your life." He made a very Vampiric growl. "Your duty is to protect her from now on is that clear?"

A reverberating growl was all she heard in answer - the sound coming from every one of the soldiers on the grounds.

"Rose - that is enough for today. We will now eat."

Turning his back to them, he held out a hand for her.

Giving a hasty bow to Miria and the others, she mouthed "I'm sorry," before running after Lord Etienne.

He said nothing, completing their walk back to the castle in silence but Rose was a bubble of anger waiting to explode.

"That was not necessary. I could have defended myself," she blurted the moment they were indoors and alone in the hallway.

"My servants are not to harm a hair on your head." His voice had a note of finality to it. Rose hated that. She was not a child anymore he could silence with a strict tone of his voice.

"I am a woman now. Haven't you realised?" she argued. "Your sheltering only makes me appear weaker!"

Lord Etienne flicked her a sideward glance. "Is that so?"

Oh he was so infuriating!

"You promised to teach me the way of the sword... but all Wind Eternal is good for right now is to cut grass!"

Lord Etienne looked down at her, his face unreadable and then...

He laughed. A deep, throaty laugh that sent shivers down her spine.

"Is my fang truly of that little use?" He stretched out his hand, palm facing her. "Give it to me."

Rose didn't think it was funny but she untied the weapon from her waist sash and handed it to him; watching as the blade doubled in size and length to accommodate its wielder. Lord Etienne twisted the blade left and right, trying to find an equilibrium to the weight and power of the sword.

"Hmm... Wind Eternal doesn't seem to agree with me," he muttered, laying the blade flat on his palm. "We shall put this to test another time. For now..."

He drew his own sword - the Masamune - and gave one swift slash through her body.

***

Masamune - a sword that would not harm. His father had left him this, instead of its twin Muramasas, the sword of a thousand cuts.

"My Lord?" Rose looked up, bewildered. "It was just a flesh wound..."

"Masamune will heal whomever I choose it to." Gripping her arm, he inspected it thoroughly. Human blood was a definite invitation for trouble here. Her scent alone had riled up a hunger in him that should not have been possible.

She was human and Etienne despised her kind.

Ever since his father abandoned him to live with his human mate, Etienne knew it had made him weak. In fact, it was his mortality that killed him - a stupid sacrifice he would never make.

But Rose was different. She was the only one he could trust to obey him without questions and perhaps the only one who loved- well, it doesn't matter. That was impossible between them too.

"Stand your ground," he instructed when they finally reached his study. "And repeat everything I do."

She made no argument as she followed his every kick, every punch. There will always be a time when she would find herself disarmed and this hand to hand combat would mean the difference between life and death

Of course, whoever attacked her first would be dead before she even had the chance to defend herself. His enemies were not wise to use her as a weapon against him.

Lord Etienne Arceneaux did not care for pitiful tactics.

"Now, practice this until I am satisfied." He stepped back, allowing her to take up more space in the middle of his study. Her determination and powerful strides were impressive for a petite human. The moves he had just demonstrated required the full length and strength of a Vampire but Rose executed them as swiftly and gracefully as any Pureblood.

"I've watched you," she merely explained. Etienne didn't realise his thoughts were that transparent on his face. But it unnerved him more to know he hadn't noticed ever being the subject of her curious gaze.

Now at that moment, with her face flushed from the heat and her hair sticking to the side of her neck, Etienne preferred to watch her instead.

There was no trick of the eye or skilful stitching this time - his Rose was indeed an adult; her body bearing the curves that would have given her plentiful children if she had stayed in Kirke's village. The thought annoyed him.

"Were you planning to make Charlie - that human boy as your mate?" he asked suddenly.

Stopping her pose mid-air, Rose then turned to face him; her eyes unreadable. "And if I had?"

He moved to her side so fast, Rose had barely taken her next breath before his hand pressed against her waist, pulling her close.

"Then I will kill him."

"My Lord!" Her eyes were wide with shock but he saw laughter dancing briefly as she struggled to escape his hold. "You will do no such thing!"

"Are you forbidding me from doing as I please?"

Stubborn eyes look up at him. "Yes."

What happened next caught him by surprise.

His lips had swooped down on hers, capturing them between his own; a snarl rising from the back of his throat. Etienne didn't know what possessed him to take her so demandingly but when she relaxed into his kiss, he stopped thinking completely.

She tasted so sweet - of innocence and pureness; her kiss tentative yet impatient at the same time, wanting to explore more. As her tongue touched the tip of his fang, Etienne had to force himself to pull back. He knew he could take her, right there on his desk and against the wall within seconds and she would have allowed him to do anything he wanted, believing it to be her own idea.

Rose didn't deserve that.

A groan escaped her lips when he pulled away; her eyelids heavy as they blinked back the lull of the kiss. When he released her, she trembled slightly on her feet, held in place only by her palms on his chest.

"I apologise for that moment of weakness. It will never happen again." He turned his back to her. "You can leave."

Rose simply nodded; cheeks blushing pink, her scent as striking as her namesake.

"I know," she whispered before picking up her sword and headed for the door.

As her intoxicating scent cleared up from the room, Etienne finally let out the breath he had been holding. He had stepped a line and it was in that moment that he knew that she would no longer give up her smiles for him as easily as before.

***

Two hours before dawn, Rose stepped out bed; pushing aside the warm woollen blanket to get ready for the most important trip of her life - her first diplomatic mission.

After washing herself with the bowl of water left near her window, she opened her cupboard and saw that the court seamstress had already prepared a fitting suit for her journey- a lightweight cotehardie that tucked into tight leather coverings worn waist down. All she needed was her old cloak and it would be perfect. Being weather-worn, it would help done down the newness and pompousness of the fine material and stitching of her tailored suit.

Looking at herself in the mirror, she then twisted her hair into a bun and secured it with the metal comb Lord Etienne had gifted to her.

It was the only thing she would permit to remind her of him.

"A moment of weakness indeed," she whispered, recalling his hurtful words.For her, it had been a culmination of the years spent waiting for him, dreaming of him and imagining that very moment coming alive between them.

The kiss had been... magical. Until he decided it was a mistake.

"This will never happen again," she grumbled as her feet were shoved into boots. Maybe she should have just accepted Charlie as a mate and spare herself this agony.

Stealing a last look in the mirror, Rose made her way into the dining hall where she hoped Nahia had prepared breakfast. She was expecting a simple loaf of bread and a cup of water but the spread that greeted her...

"My Lady!" Nahia squealed, grabbing her arms and dragging her to the long dining table. "I think I have outdone myself this time. I hope you are pleased."

Rose didn't know what to say. There were piles of pastries on platters, roasted bird of some sort, a basket of fruits, potatoes and carrots steaming in a pot and a jug of what looked like raw milk. Rose was sure she hadn't seen a cow around...

Smiling, she patted Nahia's hand gently and nodded. "We will pack the leftovers for my journey. It looks sumptuous Nahia."

The lesser Noble eagerly helped Rose to her seat -on the right at the head of the table. Putting a silver plate in front of her, she began scooping a little bit of this and that.

Rose said nothing, even when she could sense Nahia looking expectantly at her while she took her first bite of pastry.

It tasted like bark.

"How is it my Lady? Is it to your liking? Please eat some more. I had the entire kitchen working all night!"

Rose tried to come up with a polite answer but before she could say anything, Nahia had turned a shade of chalk.

"That will be all Nahia. Leave Lady Rose and I alone to dine." Rose didn't need to turn to match a face to the voice. "Good morning Rose."

"Good morning my Lord." Rose tried her best not to sound annoyed. "I wasn't aware you would be joining me for breakfast."

Lord Etienne made no comment as he cut a slice of the roast for himself. She had never ever seen him eat. In fact, Vampires did not eat as humans do. He had once told her that dirt would taste better.

Which was why Rose stopped her chewing to watch him put the piece of meat into his mouth?

Only to have him spit it out in disgust.

"Nahia! Are you planning to kill Rose? This is a disgrace!" he bellowed. Turning to her, he glared. "Spit that out. You should not have to tolerate this sort of treatment."

"My Lord!" a terrified cry at the base of his feet. "Please forgive me. I will do better!"

"If you are incapable of cooking then your place is no longer here."

"My Lord!" Nahia was in tears, the fear of being dismissed had turned her face a sheet of grey.

"Nahia...I will teach you," whispered Rose, reaching down to help the cook to her feet. "You did your best. Thank you."

Nodding her head, Rose allowed the cook to run off into safety.

"That was unnecessary Lord Etienne."

ArtForm
ArtForm
1,147 Followers
12