Taming an Immortal Ch. 08

Story Info
Journey to the Southern Lands.
6.9k words
4.82
11.7k
27

Part 8 of the 14 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 04/28/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ArtForm
ArtForm
1,148 Followers

NB: This chapter is one of the more poignant one for me. There were cute moments and then there were sad and hopeful moments. Someone also asked if a simple bite would suffice for transforming Rose - of course, it shouldn't be that simple! That's what makes this relationship even more fragile and worth pursuing.

***

Chapter 8 -Journey to the Southern Lands.

Rose wasn't surprised when she woke up to find her bed cold and empty; the sheets a twisted mess around her as evidence of their love making.

Feeling slightly sulky at being abandoned once again, she threw the covers aside and headed towards her window to pull back the curtains. Rose had no idea what time it was, but by the growl of her stomach, she'd say it was time for breakfast.

As the morning sunlight bathed her room in its welcoming glow, Rose caught sight of a breakfast tray placed neatly on a table near her dresser; a single rose placed in a jar by the side. Thinking that Nahia had prepared it, she picked up the glass of juice and saw a piece of paper stuck to the bottom.

Eat up. Meet me at the cherry tree at noon.

Rose laughed as she tucked the scrap of love letter in her drawer. Even in his attempt at being romantic, Etienne couldn't help being imperious in his demands.

Still, she appreciated the gesture, lifting a fork of eggs to her lips. If this was what being in love with the Lord of the West was like, then she would savour it while it lasted. By the end of the moon cycle, he would belong to someone else.

Those were the thoughts occupying her when she dressed to meet him. She had chosen a dark long dress made of lace, the see-through material a stark contrast to the creamy white of her skin. Without buttons or ribbons for easy removal, Rose was hoping to keep the dress on for as long as possible - a feat seeing how hot her skin burned just by being beside him.

Satisfied with her reflection, Rose then tied Wind Eternal to the side of her sash and headed to the cherry tree.

Lord Etienne Arceneaux stood under the grand blooms, his head up into the cloud of pink. Dressed in complete white, Rose thought he looked like an angel with the silvery white of his hair flowing effortlessly in the wind.

"Someday this magnificent tree will die." He made no move to look at her, keeping his eyes up as the cherry blossoms swayed with the wind.

Rose didn't know what to say. Was that a silent reminder of her mortality?

"Then I suppose... it's the time you spend before that matter." Although for them, the days were growing increasingly limited.

As though hearing her thoughts, he finally turned to look down at her, the deep red gash on his cheek made prominent by the complete whiteness of his attire. "What would Rose like to do today with Lord Etienne?"

Her first response was to blush. It was a strange habit of his - using the third person -but when he did so, he was granting her a concession: a day to do whatever she wanted, with no objections.

That was how he often had flowers weaved into his hair when she was a child or become an involuntary chaperone to satisfy her silly antics in the markets.

"There is a spring market at Cove Viridian on the weekend. I would like to go there again."

He raised an eyebrow at her. Rose was expecting a rejection but to her surprise, he simply slipped a hand in hers and nodded.

Rose had suggested taking horses and without complaint, he mounted one even when she knew he preferred Alduin or walking. So when he got off and started to walk alongside his horse halfway through, Rose had to know.

"Have I made a choice that displeases you?" she asked, coming to a trot beside him.

Etienne grunted. Fine, she would find out the answer herself! She didn't have much time to mull over the mystery for they were soon at the entrance of the town. Dismounting, she then patted the horses and let them roam freely. Loyal to their master, the horses only required a whistle to return.

Slipping her hand into his, Rose could not be happier as she felt his fingers tightened slightly over hers. They stopped by a few shops on the periphery, smelling herbs and tasting peaches.

"I was thinking that maybe I could start growing flowers and selling them here," said Rose. "What do you think?"

His eyes bore down on hers lazily. To an outsider, his impassive face might suggest annoyance but Rose had memorised every line and every crease on his face to know that he was giving her a look that she could only described as -happy.

"My gardens are yours to do as you please."

Rose didn't have the heart to tell him she planned to grow them here. There wouldn't be a place for her in his castle once he claimed the throne with his bride. Instead, she smiled, hoping he wouldn't see the sadness behind them.

"Come," he said after awhile. "There is something in the market centre that you like."

Trusting his sense of smell, she followed his lead into the heart of the bustling town. She caught sight of the cart immediately.

"Pastries!"

Rose paid Etienne no attention as she carefully selected the ones she would like to eat then and take home. Nahia still had a bit of trouble making this treat in particular. Perhaps it had something to do with the unique way humans kneaded the dough -more patience and less strength than a Vampire.

When she was satisfied with her selection, Rose took a few coins and was about to give it to the shop owner when she realised the stunned look on his face. He didn't even look when she dropped the money onto his palm.

"Where to next?" asked Etienne, clutching her hand once more. Rose stood on tiptoes trying to find a sausage cart - that was when she realised the many pair of eyes focused on her.

Though he held his chin up in his usual manner of arrogance, Rose could see that Etienne paid no heed to the amount of attention being thrown her way. She didn't understand. Why were they only looking at her and not at him? It wasn't like they've never seen her around before.

Miria and Drake had roamed these same streets with her -not a single weird look or whisper then; but now, every corner they turned, people made a path for them; eyes curious as they glossed over her.

"You carry my scent. It confuses them," said Etienne, not bothering to lower his voice. Rose was sure that now, the humans who had not noticed were currently looking at her with renewed interest.

Feeling her cheeks burning, Rose pulled her hands away and walked quickly in front of him. Making sure that it was a human vendor, she finally stopped in front of a stall selling honey.

"Ah, Lady Rose! I was wondering when I'd see you again."

Rose didn't remember his name, but she smiled, having seen him many times in the market running errands with his family.

"How are the children?"

"Couldn't be better. My eldest helped to pot that honey you're holding. His first trip down the hive."

Rose vaguely remembered Drake pointing out a nest of bee Changelings living close to the woods at the edge of the town.

"Then I suppose I have to try it," said Rose beaming at the proud father as she passed him a few coins. Dropping the pot into the small pouch she had slung over her shoulders, Rose continued walking, only to feel the familiar bristle of touch and the scent of her keeper.

"I see you've bought more wicked things to consume in bed." To a stranger, the tone of his voice would have made it sound like a reprimand but Rose knew better.

"Honey is good medicine. We are not wasting it."

The Pureblood simply bent his head into her tresses, nipping at the lobe of her ear. "Of course. I would never waste a drop."

Rose had to squeeze her thighs together to stop the impending arousal. Ever since sharing skin privileges, Etienne had been ravenous; just being beside her sparked a wild need to claim her. Following the line of his eyes, she saw the dark alley way and knew he thought of taking her again.

"Stop it! Everybody is looking," she pleaded.

Still, he ignored her; pressing a kiss to the sensitive spot just behind her ear. "They're not complaining." Another kiss. "If they dare, I'll kill them."

Rose had to roll her eyes at his show of prowess. "Enough. If you cannot behave yourself then you shall go home now."

As the words roll out, Rose had no idea where she had the courage to say them. She had, for the first time in her life, given a direct order to the Pureblood. If she was any normal human, it would have been a death wish.

But the Vampire standing before her smiled -yes, a broad awkward grin -and shrugged. "As my Lady wishes."

"You are going?" Rose felt him loosen his grip on her; his hands reaching for her purchases.

"Yes." Another smile as he took a step away from her. "Unless you want to indulge me against that tree over there."

He didn't even make an effort to whisper his intent!

"No, let's leave together."

A wicked glint flashed across his eyes when she approached him. "We'll find another tree then."

Rose had to hide her face under her sleeves as they walked out of the market.

***

Rose had offered him a croissant but he had declined, choosing instead to sprawl on the grass with his head on her lap. Even though he regularly attended mealtimes with her, Etienne still found it amusing how much a human could eat. Where did it all go to?

He had always been satisfied with a few nibbles, to accompany Rose, but nothing more. However, now judging from the slight change in her scent, he might have to taste everything before it was served to her.

"So tell me about this horse thing," she teased between mouthful of pastry.

"There is nothing to say."

"Was it a woman?" she asked, suddenly excited. "Tell me!"

He really didn't want to but Rose had her nose inches from his; her brown eyes wide and curious.

"It happened many years ago -before I found you. So it doesn't matter." He closed his eyes and turned away from her. Rose just had to deal with it.

But then he felt it - salted drops on his forehead.

"Rose?" his eyes flared open, sitting up quickly to check her body for injuries. "Are you hurt?"

She rubbed her eyes and sniffed; big tears streaking the side of her face. "Why won't you tell me?"

Etienne crossed his arms over his chest. Why did he always fall for this trick? Rose was not the crying type, he kept forgetting that.

"I was probably your age," he started, watching how her crying stopped immediately; face breaking out into a grin. "I had a horse riding challenge. I lost. The end."

"What! Where is the girl? The drama?" She launched at him; palms on his chest demanding for more.

Etienne gave her a piercing stare from behind slanted eyes. This was abuse. He was about to chide her - or seduce her into obedience when the scent of hyenas caught his attention.

Holding Rose close, he stilled; eyes going golden and ears perking to hear the direction of their approach. A quick visual sweep of their surrounding came back with nothing - the scent was gone too and the clearing was as quiet as it had been just seconds before.

"We should return home," he said, finally certain that there was no threat. "Night is fast approaching."

Rose got up slowly, reaching for his hand. "There is one last stop I wish to make - a quick one, I promise."

***

The cabin was set close to the wharf; the tang of salt and fish rife in the air. Still, underneath it all, he had identified the scent of something familiar yet totally unrecognisable.

But then -

Masamune? The sword was throbbing; the blade giving off a soft glow.

"What is this place Rose?" he demanded.

Rose, oblivious to his discomfort, gave him a wide smile as she knocked. "He's a friend. I think you'll like him."

Etienne didn't think so -

Neither did the Noble standing by the opened door; long black hair in a ponytail and uncharacteristically silver eyes looking back at him.

But for the sake of the gentle human between them, the two simply stared at each other in equal curiousness and suspicion.

"How are you my lovely?" asked the stranger.

Rose's reply was a generous hug. "Oh how I've missed you!"

If not for the laughter in her eyes, Etienne wasn't sure if he would have stayed obediently in place without killing the stranger.

"My Lord, this is Anzer. He's been most kind to me during my stay here."

The Noble bowed slightly but made no move to come closer.

"We still have some leftover pastries," said Rose; one hand tugging him inside. "Shall I help to make tea?" Though the question was for their host, her eyes were on him, as though asking for permission.

He should say no but he had promised her a day with no objections. If she only knew the sacrifices he was making... "If it pleases you Rose. But we leave by nightfall."

"Oh thank you!" she cried, squeezing his fingers in happiness before disappearing into the kitchen.

Once she was out of sight, Etienne took a step forward, chin up as he looked down at the Noble. "It seems we finally meet."

Anzer lifted his gaze, those silver eyes looking back at him - such a rare occurrence for Nobles were almost undistinguishable from humans.

"Thanks to Rose," he said softly, flicking his eyes sideways at the lighthearted singing coming from his kitchen. "I am glad you came to take her home."

Etienne didn't care for his approval but he followed the Noble towards the dining area in silence. Sitting down, he stared across the table, unsure for the first time, for the right words. This man - he was the child of the human his father had left him for...

He was the reason for his hatred of humans. And yet...

"Here it is!" Rose floated in, a tray in hand. Setting it on the table, she looked at the two of them; biting her lips slightly. "Have you two been good to each other?"

Etienne didn't think Rose knew who Anzer was; her nervousness likely a result of forcing him into this place with a stranger. He should bite her as punishment.

"So what brings you two here today?" asked Anzer, though his eyes were focused solely on him. Etienne was not particularly fond of Cove Viridian - for obvious reasons.

"I wanted to see the spring market," said Rose, pouring tea for each of them. "Lord Etienne was kind enough to take me."

Etienne almost scowled when the Noble smiled at her. Rose really needed to stop associating words like 'kind' anywhere near his name.

"Indeed," he replied looking up at him. "And thank you for the gift of wool. I believe my sons are busy weaving them into nets."

Rose nearly scalded him in a gasp of surprise. "Oh! I didn't... well, that was very nice of you my Lord. Thank you."

Etienne took the teapot from her before she poured anymore tea on his lap. "It is simply repayment for providing lodging for Rose, nothing more." Turning to Rose, he gave her a stern look, a gentle warning in his voice. "Should Rose wish to return for whatever reason, I will see to it that a house is built for her convenience."

There was no way she would at the mercy of strangers. He would forbid that.

***

He made no mention of their little detour, choosing instead to focus on the soft skin of her fingers absently stroking his hand. Meeting Anzer had unsettled him, he had to admit. There was much he wanted to ask; to understand. Was father truly happy? Did he ever regret choosing to live a mortal life?

"You shouldn't hurt so much Etienne," whispered Rose, linking her fingers with his.

Looking down at the beautiful human, he wondered at which point did he cross that line to care for her this deeply. His one true fear was that someday, he would be the one hurting her so badly she would never forgive him.

But till then...

"You still have until midnight to demand whatever you wish from me," he replied curling her into an embrace.

As she wrapped her hands around his waist, Rose rested her head on his chest and whispered, "If... you are ever sad or hurt or need someone to talk to - know that I will never push you away." She tilted her head up; brown eyes a cloud of emotion, he couldn't really comprehend. What was she not saying? That she would never take a mate all her life?

He ought to deny her this cruel life... and yet, deep inside he selfishly wanted things to be the way they were.

"Rose..." His knuckles grazed her cheek lightly. "I -"

"It seems we have company," said Rose cutting him off before he could speak.

Etienne had hoped to spend more time with Rose but the sight of Zahara waiting by the gates upon their return, reminded him of the reality of his duties.

"Welcome home," said Zahara, her smile genuine and kind towards Rose. "I know this might not be the perfect time, but we must talk Etienne."

Etienne was almost annoyed that he had to speak to his cousin but he knew it was necessary. Caressing her cheeks gently, he turned to Rose.

"I will see you at dinner."

Rose obediently bowed and left without a complaint. When she was gone, Etienne turned his attention back to Zahara, striding ahead past the main gates.

"Walk with me," he instructed.

Zahara kept in step; silent as they continued walking towards his favourite cherry tree. He didn't know why he brought her there - but from the throbbing he could sense from Masamune, he knew it was the right thing to do.

"Your father was buried not far from here," said Zahara, picking up the scent immediately. "Does it make you sad to be here Etienne?"

"I do not have the need for sadness." He turned to face her, silvery eyes glowing in the growing darkness. "You wanted to talk, so talk."

"I've received news that my mother visited yours."

His eyes snapped golden.

"She's still alive - if that's what you're worried about," said Zahara. "But I think she might have plans to make sure the throne doesn't get passed across to my family."

That would never happen. "Explain."

"It seems your uncle, Ealdwin spends a lot of time in her castle. "

For the first time in his life, Etienne was surprised. He had not seen this coming. So, all those prospective brides were for naught?

"My parents love these lands; love what your father has done for them. But Ealdwin..."

He understood what she was implying. Their marriage would, for the sake of convenience be the best solution.

"And what if I do not wish to fulfil this plan of yours?"

"I am not doing this for you!" she snapped; a low growl in her voice. "Think about the future you'd put Rose through! Of constant war and famine and sadness. Is that what you want?"

"I can protect her."

"Till her human years are up? Then what Etienne? Die a mortal as your father had done?"

Zahara was lucky that she was kind and bore no malice for he would not have hesitated to kill her for daring to speak out of line. Instead, he reared in the beast within him, staring hard at his cousin.

"I'm not saying it has to be me Etienne... but it has to be someone that is not Rose. You understand right?"

He was about to retort when he saw the falcon.

"We will continue this later."

Allowing the bird to dig its talons deep into his flesh, Etienne untied the message on its legs and unfurled the tiny parchment.

Every nerve in his body stilled.

"Zahara, summon Miria and Keiko to my office at once. I will speak to the three of you simultaneously."

Not waiting for her reply, he leaped off; spreading his wings to fly up to Rose's room. Titus had sent word that his men had crossed the border into the Southern Lands, only to arrive at the village of An; a human settlement that had been burnt and destroyed by passing hyenas. But it was his other news that was unsettling.

Lord Adam of the South had been injured trying to evacuate his people.

Adam was not young anymore - just what was he thinking going out into the field where a simple scratch no longer healed as quickly as it used to?

ArtForm
ArtForm
1,148 Followers
12