Taming an Immortal Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It troubled him somewhat to be this weak at the thought of losing her -the intensity of his feelings so alien other than that of hate and disgust which was familiar to him. Was this her plan all along? To render him so completely vulnerable that she could then trap him as Yelene had done to his father?

Etienne knew he was not that stupid to fall for such pitiful tactics and yet as he burst through the windows of the Southern hall, her scent was an invisible twist in the pits of his stomach -the soft spice of her essence intermingled with something raw and surprisingly... of him.

Death it seemed, stared him for the first time in the face at the sight of his mate on the floor.

Johannes stopped mid-step on his left, the permanent gold of his eyes flicking towards him, then her; the look of disappointment clearly plastered on his face. He too had understood the mortality that had enveloped his grandnephew.

It mattered not to him what the Ancient thought. All that mattered was the frail being currently in his arms. But before he could tend to her, the crackling voice of his uncle sneaked its way into his consciousness.

"Oh look at this. A family reunion. How lovely."

"Ealdwin, what is the meaning of this?" the words of the Ancient bore no heat, nor ice -a demand disguised as a statement. Johannes stood tall; his wings folded neatly to rest behind him even as his golden eyes blazed affixed on his nephew.

But Etienne didn't wait for his uncle to reply. Propping Rose against the wall, he charged forward with his claws out and aimed for Ealdwin's throat.

"You do not deserve to live." The controlled voice betrayed nothing of the anger brewing inside him at the moment. But his uncle simply grinned, his eyes rolling backwards in amusement even as Etienne clamped the life out of him. How dare he felt his right to touch Rose, to threaten her life when she belonged to him?

"Etienne. Enough."

Something came between them - a stream of light -wedging Etienne and his uncle apart. Anger still fuelling his rage, Etienne fought against the barrier, his hands reaching for his sword as his uncle laughed down on him.

"Enough!"

Finding himself thrown backwards by an intangible presence, Etienne looked up to see Ealdwin wrapped in a cage of light - similar to that of his own.

Seeming satisfied that Etienne would not interrupt, Johannes turned to his nephew; his face serene as he looked down at the trapped Pureblood.

"Tell me young Ealdwin, why this elaborate ruse?"

Etienne could see that his uncle had his lips sealed; an amused grin plastered on his face. Did he think the Ancient before him so stupid not to know his plans?

"You will return to your palace Ealdwin. I believe this war is over -for now."

Look after the human.

Those were the last words he heard before Johannes was gone in the blink of an eye; his uncle disappearing together with the Ancient.

No! Ealdwin deserved to die! Why had the Ancient chosen to allow his uncle to escape? Why?

Even as the prison of light disintegrated around him, Etienne felt himself falling to his knees. He had been too late.

"My Lord... what... happened?" Miria too had suffered greatly; her body twisted even as she tried to get up to help him.

"It's over. Heal yourself and get the Lord and his people to suitable shelter. I will be with you in awhile."

Lifting Rose in his arms, he carried her up to the room that bore her scent. It had displeased him greatly to find her dressed in a soldier's uniform, her hair and face dirtied like a commoner.

By the looks of it, Adam had seen to it that Rose had everything she needed; her room in the Southern palace almost rivalling that of her room back in his castle. Then why did she deem it necessary to dress like this? Whose Changeling scent was this that clung to her?

Etienne hated it. It irked him enough that he tore the cheap cotton from her body, tossing it aside until she smelled only of Rose and of him.

Wrapping her in a blanket, he then laid her down on the mattress while he searched for a basin to wash her.

It was so unnatural for him to be cleaning someone -much less a human but he put the thought aside as he used the wet towel to clean her face. Even with the cold water, Rose was still unconscious.

For once, Etienne Arceneaux, Lord of the West, was unsure of what to do. She had bled and called for him and yet he could hear her heartbeat -strong and not alone.

It was just not... possible. To have her bear the thing he hated the most -a Halfling -Etienne didn't think he could live with it. And if his mother were to find out about the child, she would surely kill it.

Wiping her down as best as he could, Etienne then brought the blanket up under her chin.

The halfling would be dealt with later. Rose was safe for now.

While he, had other more pressing matters to attend to.

***

He hunted the human Lord down first; fury in his every being at the thought of his mate being left alone to face his uncle. Had that human bartered Rose in exchange for his safety?

Surely he did for he and his weak brethren were cowering with fright deep below the castle - a stupid move, considering that a Pureblood such as him would scent them in an instant.

It took him less than a heartbeat to find Adam.

"Etienne..."

"I found her." Wasting no words, he closed his claws over Adam's throat -just a warning should he give an unsatisfactory answer.

"I told her to leave. I have lived a long life Etienne, I did not wish for her to die."

"You lie!" Fingers tightening over wrinkled flesh.

"She insisted! I would never trade an innocent for anything in the world." The human Lord closed his eyes, almost trying to hold back his tears. When he opened them, Adam looked up into his own silvery eyes; his voice a bare whisper meant only for his ears, "And not when she resembles the woman I love."

Etienne immediately released him. How dare he compare Rose to that home breaker!

"I will be taking her home at first light." He turned around, disgusted.

"Etienne, wait!" The soft hands of the old human clutched at his sleeves. "Let her stay here. Please."

Eyes of gold flashed angrily at Adam. First he placed her in danger, now he wishes to keep her? Did he not know that Rose belonged to him?

"Her place is in the Western Castle."

This time, Adam tugged his sleeve insistently. "As what? Your servant?"

"You know not what you speak of," he replied, pulling his robes away from the human. To his surprise, Adam grabbed hold of his arm and pulled himself closer to look up at him.

"Do not speak to me as if I am senile - no I am not yet! Why are you being so cruel to her when you have already selected your Pureblood mate? We both know your crowning ceremony is inevitable. "

Etienne wished that it was bright enough for Adam to see the fangs he was baring for his benefit.

"It is nothing of your concern. Enough. We will leave tonight." He would carry her in his arms all the way back to the West if he had to.

"If you would not do this for this dying man and his wish, then at least do it for her. She is with child is she not?"

Etienne paused mid-stride. How did Adam know?

A quick look around, he spotted Miria; her eyes cast down to the ground. Right there was treason and she knew it. She had kept the knowledge of the Halfling from her Lord and for that; she would be banished from his lands, as was Rose should she wish to keep it.

"Do as you please with her. I am not my father."

***

Etienne refused to accept that Rose was having his child. Even if he had accepted her as his mate, it didn't mean that he would accept a Halfling in the equation. There was no way a half-Vampire be allowed to contend with his true heir when he sires one. That was the only condition should she wish to continue staying with him in the Western castle.

With that thought in mind, Etienne returned to her chambers only to find that she wasn't there.

"Rose!"

A quick check down the mating bond told him that she was fine - in fact, more than fine actually for the minute heartbeat he felt earlier had intensified almost ten-fold.

What a strong boy...

Etienne paused for a minute, simply listening to the soft pounding hearts of both mother and child. He only had to follow the sound to find her standing in front of a full length mirror, admiring herself.

"Etienne?" Catching his reflection, she turned and jumped at him. "I... I don't seem to remember what happened. Apart from ... that I really needed a bath."

He nodded approvingly. Gone were the stench of the sewers and the cloying scent of blood and sweat. This was all Rose.

Curling his hands under her, Etienne found himself lifting his mate in his arms and carrying her back to bed. What was she thinking being up on her feet?

"I am capable of walking," said the woman in question.

"Humour me," he insisted, carrying her out of the dressing room into her bed chambers. "I will have Adam bring everything you need up here. If you are distressed for whatever reason, call for me and I will come immediately."

"Are you leaving again?" she whispered, curving a palm gently on his cheek. "But you just arrived."

"Would you rather be with me all the time?"

Her thumb traced his lips in lieu of an answer.

"I just want you safe," he murmured against her hands. How long exactly do humans take to realise this when Vampires can scent it almost immediately?

"Mmmhmm..." Her head rested on his chest. "I've missed you."

He felt her clutching the lapels of his shirt, her soft heat warming up his chest. "Then I will wait for you, as I always do," she whispered, brown eyes looking up at his silvery ones. "Because I love you."

Etienne didn't know how he was going to find the strength to tell her about the child. That was the second time she said those words - even if he was too stubborn to confess anything of that sort. To love was to die.

But he did -her and their child.

"Rose..."

"Yes?"

"You will stay here with Lord Adam."

Her eyes immediately flared open as she pushed away from him. "No... you're not leaving me here forever are you?"

There was no need for emotions. This had to be done.

"There is no place for you in the Western Castle anymore. I will marry Zahara, as you have willed. Stay here and be among your kind."

***

NB: What a depressing ending! In case any of you were wondering, it was implantation bleeding. Since Rose is bearing a Vampire child, everything has to be intensified. So it seems that Etienne is allowing his Halfling child to grow but at the cost of banishing Rose to the Eastern lands. *sigh*

12