Taming an Immortal Ch. 14

Story Info
Racing against time.
11.5k words
4.87
11.6k
30

Part 14 of the 14 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 04/28/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ArtForm
ArtForm
1,148 Followers

NB: So here it is, the final instalment of Taming an Immortal. Thanks everyone for the comments so far. It's been a great motivation!

Johannes -Ancient Pureblood; Grandfather of Zahara and Granduncle of Etienne

Zahara - Etienne's cousin; current Lady of the West

Keane - Majordormo Pureblood of the West

Keiko - Loyal Noble of the West, son of Keane.

Ulrich - Changeling Wolf Lord of the East

Eulalie - Changeling Wolf Princess of the East

Eirikr - Changeling Wolf Prince of the East

***

The next morning, Etienne had summoned Zahara, Keane and Keiko into his study; a serious frown set on his face.

"I am leaving for a few days with Zahara. In my absence, Keane, you are to take charge of the household," he paused, lowering his eyes lest the servant saw the gentleness in them. "And, if you will, prepare a basket of -appropriate gifts for the Prince's birth."

The Pureblood majordormo merely bowed; his pleasure evident by the broad smile on his face.

"And me, Master?" asked Keiko; one hand raised timidly.

"You will come with me." The Noble beamed; his eyes glowing bright with pride. "You are dismissed."

While the two younger Vampires left, Keane remained, his head bowing low.

"If I may speak freely my Lord."

"At will."

"I speak not just for myself... but for every one of us in this castle." Keane lifted his head, looking straight at him. "If it is not too much to ask my Lord, your humble servants would ask that you lift her banishment from these lands." When he said nothing, Keane added quickly, "And if I may be so bold to add my Lord, it would bring us great pleasure if... if Lady Rose and the prince be allowed to visit."

Etienne met the gaze of the loyal majordormo unblinkingly, aware that in the times past, he would never have dared to make such a blatant suggestion and expected to live.

"We only wish for your happiness my Lord."

Etienne did not care for happiness. Flicking his hand away, he dismissed his steward; his silence the only reply Keane would get.

When he was finally alone, Etienne stood by the window and took a deep breath. As the Lord of the West, would he not appear fickle to retract the banishment he had placed over Rose and Miria from these lands? However, that child...

His son will always have safe passage in his lands.

Rubbing his palms down his face, Etienne let out a long sigh. Was he becoming soft? The thought of his flesh and blood walking down these castle walls, admiring the richness of his lands made him beam slightly with pride and anticipation.

He would teach the boy all there was to know about the Pure Vampire bloodlines, read him the chronicles of his father and the fathers before him; the power and strength that coursed through his veins as an Arceneaux.

Yes. And he would teach his son how to hold a sword - one forged from his own fang of course, a twin to his mother's perhaps? A sword that would cut much better than his own and heal just as precisely as his.

He would be - perfect.

"Etienne?"

He made no move to turn towards her voice, simply grunting his permission for Zahara to approach him.

"Are you sure about this?"

Journeying deep into the central mountains to request an audience with an Ancient? Absolutely.

"Do you doubt my conviction?"

Beside him, he could sense her paling. "No of course not! It's just... you have to be sure. My grandfather does not take visits lightly. He would seek to kill you first before questioning your purpose."

At her words, Etienne turned to face his cousin. "Are you sure this has nothing to do with entering the territory of the wolf Changelings?" His lips thinned into a half smile. "Afraid I'd be challenged in a senseless dominance battle with a certain wolf?"

The genuine worry in her eyes hardened into cold annoyance. "Fine. Get your hide striped for all I care. See you in an hour."

God, Zahara was so easy to read. It was a shame truly that he could not feel anything more for her than what he always had as her cousin. He would care for her and provide what she needed in his home but he could never love her. In fact, if he could, he would release her from this trap of silver binding both of them.

As the Lord of the West, it should be his prerogative to alter the laws and yet here he was, bound by old traditions that made their union akin to slavery.

Which was why this trip was important. Etienne needed answers and where his father could no longer provide those, the next alternative would have to do.

***

Etienne, Keiko and Zahara flew East towards the Central Mountains for three days straight; trekking through the deciduous forest up to Qlyhm Peaks where it was rumoured that Johannes kept a small dojo.

However, when they arrived at the foot of the mountain, Etienne could barely make out the outline of the dojo for a storm of clouds had gathered above them; the first flurry of snow and ice threatening to blanket their presence. A snowstorm at this altitude was unheard of - no doubt a manipulation by the Ancient wishing not to be disturbed by their petty affairs.

"The only way in is to fly," said Zahara, squinting as she looked up at the jutting slopes of the mountain.

That however was going to be impossible. At the rate that they were going, neither Zahara nor Keiko would make it out alive from the growing snowstorm approaching them from the peaks.

"We must find shelter Etienne," whispered Zahara, clutching her own robes closer to fend the cold front. With a slight shiver, she lifted a finger. "Those caves."

Following her line of sight, he nodded and tightened his wings in resignation. Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to bring them with him. Judging by the icy welcome, Etienne doubted that Johannes could be swayed just because his granddaughter was in the midst.

Looking up once more upon the snowy sky, Etienne held back his impatience and kept his eyes on Zahara instead. Even if she wasn't the Lady of the West, he would still ensure she was safe and cared for. It was the only thing he could do in exchange for the sacrifice she had done for him.

As though sensing his thoughts, Zahara turned her head and smiled softly at him before resuming her march towards the cave. Catching up, they walked side by side until they were almost at the cave entrance.

"Wait," he whispered; one hand held out to stop his companions from stepping further. The fact that the Changelings had not shown themselves was suspicious. "Thread carefully. There are traps."

"Master, I do not think these grounds are capable of aaaa -"

Etienne looked up at the dangling Noble clipped at his ankle by a clever vine trap.

"Get yourself down Keiko. We have no time for breaks." He proceeded forward; eyes watching everything.

"Master! You are mean!" shrieked Keiko.

"Quiet!" hissed Zahara, taking out a dagger to cut down the vine. "The wolves aren't deaf."

Leaping across a fern covered trench, Etienne came to a small clearing and immediately noticed the grooved markings on the trees; the lightly trampled undergrowth and the unmistakable warning scent. Someone had built a nest here.

"Zahara, on your wings now," he shouted. But it was too late.

A pair of wolves had circled her and Keiko; their eyes burning ember at the unwelcomed guests.

"We wish no harm to your pups," said Etienne, putting both hands in front as an offer of peace. "The Lord of the West and his companions request safe passage through your home."

Immediately, one of the wolves shimmered in their usual change of form - a man standing before them a while later, his eyes roaming with curiosity.

"And what business does my Lord have passing through these woods? You can fly can't you?"

On normal circumstances, such speech would have earned the Changeling a slap across the face. But this was his home and his turf. A nesting Changeling wouldn't hesitate to kill to protect its family.

Etienne resonated with that.

"Another snowstorm is upon us. Flight is impossible."

The Changeling looked up into the sky with his tongue out as though tasting the wind. From the slight jerk at his neck, Etienne knew he could tell that it was going to be a big one. That didn't mean that the wolf was about to back down.

Etienne had stepped into his territory and his presence clearly was a threat. The stalemate that brewed between them would not last. The wolf was going to strike. Just a matter of when.

Zahara, take Keiko and fly the second you have an opening. Do not wait for me.

To her credit, his cousin kept still, revealing nothing. Like hell I would.

Her stubbornness only made the situation trickier. Etienne might be able to disarm papa wolf here just long enough to get to Zahara and Keiko but there was no telling the retaliation they would face. Though he could not see them, the Western Lord had scented the approaching wolves; his presence clearly causing the males to huddle like the pack they were.

As discreetly as he could, Etienne shifted; his fingers reaching slowly for his Seven-branched sword. This was why he hated the wolves - reasoning never made priority in tense situations. And in that moment, the male wolf Changeling was back in his beastly form; lips peeled back to reveal sharp carnivorous fangs, the intent in them clear.

Three. Two. One...

"Just what is the meaning of this?"

Etienne had already advanced forth, his sword swinging a full circle, aimed low at the wolf's head. But before he could complete the thrust, the metal met resistance with the clang of another's sword.

Damn it! He refused to look up. To be saved by a female...

Instead, he straightened his back, aware that the wolf before him was flat on his belly; his paws placed right next to his snout. Absolute surrender. Not to him of course.

"To what do I owe this pleasure my Lord?" Eyes of blue rimmed with gold - just like her father's -stared deep into his, demanding a response.

"Princess." He returned her gentle bow with a nod. "We were merely passing by."

Eulalie flicked her pale blonde hair back and folded her arms in front of her chest; her eyes raking his face expectantly.

"I will ask one more time. Why are you in these lands of which you have no business in?"

"We are visiting my grandfather up the mountains." Etienne let out a hiss at Zahara's crisp reply. He wasn't planning on divulging that little detail - at all.

But Eulalie seemed more bothered about the speaker than the fact that an Ancient ghosted in her lands. Turning her head cautiously, she narrowed her gaze on Zahara; recognition registering in her eyes.

Etienne thought he caught a flicker of surprise in them but in a heartbeat, the usual haughty expression of the Princess returned and she turned her attention to him.

"Are you saying we have a Pureblood residing here? Interesting." Her eyes trailed all the way up to the peak before pouting. "But then again, no wolf can survive up there, so we wouldn't know now would we?"

No longer interested in what either of her guests had to say, Eulalie turned to the wolf still on the ground. She brought both her feet right in front of him, forcing the less dominant wolf to look up in quiet respect.

"Be at ease. The Lord of the West has young of his own and will not harm yours." Eulalie's voice was firm but soothing enough that the wolf got to its feet and pandered off towards his family. Only then did she angle her head and whistled towards the sky as though calling off an impending attack.

"Come. There is an unoccupied cave up ahead. The storm is upon us."

Her invitation sounded more like an order but Etienne bit back his words in favour of keeping Zahara and Keiko protected from the elements, especially since the oncoming chill was looking unbearable for the Noble.

Not a second later, Keiko announced that he would collect whatever wood he could find for a fire, earning a grunt of approval from Etienne. He had no need for much warmth but for the others, it could tip the balance between life and death.

With his back against the cave wall and one leg bent at the knee, Etienne looked over to where Zahara sat; her posture next to him calm even in the pitch darkness. Motioning her close, Etienne wrapped his fur stole around her neck to shield her from the wind.

The gesture did not go unnoticed by the wolf Princess.

"My brother Eirikr lives a half day journey away. If my Lord wishes, he may provide the necessities you need." She sent a disapproving glance down Zahara's thin dress. "It would be unseemly not to extend such courtesies to the Lord and Lady of the West."

Even in the dark he could sense his cousin stiffening; no doubt the cold being harsher than any of them expected. Though this break had already cost them precious time, Etienne didn't want either Zahara or Keiko to return home as icicles.

"If he would have us -"

"No!" Zahara interjected, tightening the fur around her neck. "I am fine. We will journey up with no further distractions."

If her hand hadn't been up against his face, Etienne might have raised his concerns over her stubbornness. It was unlike her to be this... impolite to another female of stature. Surely he did not need to remind her that Eulalie was the daughter of Ulrich?

But from the looks of it, the Princess wasn't planning on being that cordial towards her either for she stopped addressing Zahara completely, focusing only on Etienne.

"When did you last visit this relation of yours?" she asked.

"Not in a long time." And that was the honest answer. He was sure that when Zahara sent the falcons for Johannes, there was no telling if he would respond. Her only assurance was their common knowledge that he was still alive. His death, should it come would have left a gaping psychic shift in the power balance amongst the Purebloods. And that was something every one of them could feel; no matter how far they were from each other.

Etienne was saved from explaining this to her for Keiko sauntered in with a handful of firewood. He suddenly felt it necessary to aid the Noble, leaving the two females to throw silent daggers at each other.

***

Eulalie glanced sideways at the female still wrapped in the pelt of the Western Lord. She wouldn't lie to herself but Eulalie was surprised and damn right pissed to find out the identity of the Lady of the West. Etienne had abandoned his pregnant mate for this?

Indeed, all Vampire women were bastards. Her father had taught her that right from the start which was why he never married any of them. And like all the Pureblood women he had lain with, this one was no different.

For all the calm and gentle exterior the female Pureblood tried to portray, only Eulalie knew the wickedness that lay claim in that woman's heart. Eirikr was now a shadow of his former self; simply existing but not living because she had trapped him, used him and discarded him like the unworthy trash he wasn't.

Eulalie could kill her for that alone.

And then she would kill her for putting the sadness in Rose's eyes. God, Eulalie liked that human! She had given Merkel and his men a home and asked for nothing in return - not even when her father had offered to take her as his wife! What an honour that should have been. But Rose needed no more of that.

To Eulalie, a woman raising a child without a man deserved a class of honours of her own. Especially when it was obvious that carrying a half Vampire child was robbing the human of her strength and life.

Looking across at Etienne, she wondered if he knew that or if he ever cared at all.

"These mountains have become more dangerous recently. We've been having unexpected guests..." Eulalie didn't know why she offered that information but it got Etienne's immediate attention.

"That's why the wolves were edgy." Etienne nodded at her silence. "What sort of guests?"

"Dead bodies - floating down the river, flung on trees..." Eulalie closed her eyes to will the images away. "Children... all of them."

Etienne had a hard set frown on his face, the silver in his eyes going slightly gold as he processed her words.

"Scent and tracks?" Too many.

Eulalie raised her eyes to meet his. "You know whose. And I can assure you that Father is looking into it. That's why I'm here." Indeed, the hyenas had never been a problem before, always adhering to the strict segregation rules enforced by their Changeling Lord of the East. But all that had changed the moment the hyenas sought refuge underground.

Eulalie herself didn't know that beneath them lay a labyrinth of caves and channels that were massive enough to house an entire army of hyena Changelings. From the vast number of soldiers who attacked Seurri, their underground base was the only logical place to accommodate all those thousands.

Right under their noses.

If she didn't know better, Eulalie had the feeling that her father had offered his hand to Rose as punishment for allowing the hyenas to proliferate and attack the South. Her father was never one to chain himself so willingly to a woman.

"We will visit your brother once this storm passes. Then I will help you track the hyenas." His decision sounded absolute, much to the dismay of the female Pureblood beside him. It went without saying that he had every intention of leaving her behind while he scouted.

Even through the soft glow of the campfire, Eulalie had caught Zahara's face paling.

"And what of your relation up the peaks?" she asked softly, watching as the female turned away from them.

"He has lived for thousands of years. A few more days wouldn't matter."

***

The storm stopped too soon in Zahara's opinion - almost as though it was dying to put Etienne's decision into action. Why of all the wolves, they had to meet her?

And if Etienne hadn't known earlier about her past, he surely would now as they were welcomed with wide outstretched arms by the master of the castle himself. God, he even looked the same as the last time she saw him: the same leather strips criss-crossing waist down until his knees to the mess of iridescent gold curls trailing down his back.

But his upper torso which was always bare was truly for her benefit. The shameless wolf wore her mark like it was a medallion across his skin -literally. Skin deep, the ink spelled out her name in the Changeling tongue and displayed for all to see on the side of his neck like a choker.

Though he couldn't read Changeling script, Etienne knew the basic alphabets. He might not voice it but she knew that he was roaring with laughter on the inside. Idiot!

"Sister mine, how fare thee?" Zahara watched Eirikr kiss Eulalie's cheeks twice and yet his eyes fixated only on her. "And to what do I owe this pleasure?"

He all but purred.

"Brother, this is Lord Etienne of the West and -"

"This is Zahara Arceneaux, cousin of mine," supplied Etienne saving both women from unwanted embarrassment. "I thank you for your kind welcome Prince Eirikr. But this is not a social call."

Zahara watched as Etienne hustled the siblings into an adjoining chamber, leaving her and Keiko alone. But the reprieve was not for long.

When they reappeared, Eulalie had a nasty scowl on her face while her brother was positively brimming with delight - his face almost an exact copy of his father's when he grinned. That said a lot, considering that the Eastern Lord was a classic cassanova.

However, that was nothing compared to the look on Etienne's face. Despite the stoic front he was clearly putting up, Zahara caught the amusement in his eyes and worst - the laughter in his head!

"Come Princess, we must make haste," he announced, nodding at Keiko to follow. "Zahara, I will return for you. Be well cousin."

ArtForm
ArtForm
1,148 Followers