Tara Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tara waved to one of the tavern girls. "Another ale," she said shortly. One arrived a minute or so later, and the warrior plunked it before Epona, who looked up at her in faint puzzlement. "Arm still hurt?" The slave's lip quivered, and she nodded. "Drink that, then," Tara said calmly, turning back to her own supper. "Do you good. Eat, too. If it still bothers you after that, I've got some things upstairs in my pack that'll help."

She watched out of the corner of her eye as Epona slowly brought the mug to her lips and took a tentative taste. The wince and hesitation afterward confirmed Tara's suspicions.Little mouse-girl's never even tasted beer before. Gods, what did they do – wrap her up in lamb's wool and keep her in a closet?The warrior drained her own mug and sent it back for a refill. She noted that Epona kept sipping at her ale, and seemed to have decided that she liked it.

"Why,Tara!That is you, isn't it?" The voice rose above the buzz of the tavern crowd. The warrior turned in her seat to find a heavily-armored figure approaching her table. It was a short, compact woman with olive skin and dark brown hair. "Tara," the woman cried again, grinning. "Tara, the Terror of the West! How are you, you old warhorse? I've not seen you these three years!"

"Drea?" The red-haired woman rose from her seat to gravely clasp the forearm that was extended to her. "It's been a while. You haven't changed at all."

"Can't say the same for you, woman. Look at you!" Drea stepped back to look Tara over admiringly. "I swear you've actually got more muscle than when I last saw you. I didn't even think that was possible." She waved at a passing barmaid. "Hey, let's have a couple of pitchers, here." Without waiting for an invitation, she plunked herself down in an empty chair. "So what're you doing back in these parts?"

Tara sat back down. Her eyes were guarded. "Just trading for some supplies and things," she said calmly. "I'm resting up. Just came from a raid."

"I've been hearing some pretty crazy stories about you lately, Terror." The smaller soldier grinned as a mug of beer appeared before her. She picked it up, took a long drink from it, and waved it in Tara's direction. "Is it true you took out most of the town of Pylos by yourself last year? I heard some bard in Mykenea tell that story."

The red-headed warrior smiled thinly and tipped the rest of her ale down her throat. "More or less," she said. "I was with a raiding party, and they decided to retreat while I was trapped by myself inside the city. Kind of upset me. I guess I must have taken that out on the locals."

"Damn." Drea shook her head with an admiring smirk. "I swear, you've gotten even crazier than you used to be when we fought together. I wouldn't have thought you even could be." She thumped the table with her hand and drank off the rest of her first mug of ale in one gulp. "Great luck running into you! You looking for more work? There's a bunch of us looking to pull a job, and we need another fighter."

"Depends," Tara said coolly, pouring herself another glass of ale and taking a few more bites of her stew. "What's it pay?"

"Well, you won't lack for toast in the morning. It's..." The smaller warrior stopped abruptly, her eyes coming to rest on Epona's small frame. "Hey, who's your friend?"

"New slave." Tara chewed her mouthful of bread and stew absently. "Got her a couple days ago."

"Really?" Drea's brown eyes sparked with interest. "What's she look like?" And she reached across the table toward the gray hood that was pulled up around Epona's face.

Like a striking snake, Tara's hand flashed out, catching Drea's arm by the wrist. Her brows lowered over dark eyes that were suddenly cold. Startled, the smaller woman looked at her. "She'smine." Tara's voice was icy.

There was a tense pause. Drea stared at her uneasily, shifting in her seat, but didn't try to pull her arm away. "All right, Tara," she said quietly. "I'm not trying to take her. Just curious, that's all."

Slowly, Tara released her grip. She could see the wariness in Drea's face, and knew that she'd rather shocked her.Maybe I kind of shocked myself, too,Tara thought ruefully, turning her attention back to her half-finished supper.I guess that was a bit of an overreaction. Gods, I need rest more than I thought."Fine," she said dismissively. "Quit hiding in my damn cloak, Epona."

The slave girl timidly pulled the gray hood back from her head and looked up at Drea. Tara's dark eyes flicked up to the smaller warrior's face. "So what's this job?" she asked coolly.

"Er...right." Drea glanced at Epona with obvious admiration, but quickly turned back to the conversation. Her voice lowered. "We've got word about a gold shipment being taken from Korinth to Megara. It'll be guarded, of course, but we figure we can take them out at that narrow pass just outside Korinth. It'll be a good amount of gold, Tara. And if you join in, there'll be twelve of us to split the proceeds – not bad pay for a day's work."

Tara's lips tightened. "When?"

"We figure to head out in four days." The smaller woman poured herself another mug of ale and grinned, resting one muscular arm on the tabletop. "Gives you time to rest up first, Terror." She paused. "So what d'you say? Are you in?"

The red-haired fighter tapped her fingers on the table. "Give me the night to think about it," she said calmly. "I'll give you my answer tomorrow, if you're around."

"I'm around." Drea nodded. "We're all staying in this inn, actually. Them's my boys over there." – Waving her arm in the direction of a large knot of disreputable-looking men. "They'll be glad enough to have you along, if you decide to come." Then she sat back in her seat with a casual air. "So tell me, Terror. What you been doing with yourself?"

They chatted for an hour or two. Tara had to admit that she rather enjoyed reminiscing about some of their old campaigns; she'd forgotten about a lot of it, what with the difficulties of the past couple of years. At last, Tara cast a glance at the corner. Epona was slumped down with her head resting against the back of her chair and her eyes closed. The warrior couldn't restrain a smirk. "Guess it's getting late," she said calmly. "We've put in a long couple days, and I think it's time for bed."

"All right, then," Drea said cheerfully. "Rest well. Me and the boys will be around whenever you decide you want to join up."

Tara's dark eyes followed her old acquaintance as she headed back across the tavern. Then, rising to her feet, she moved over to where Epona was. The slave murmured and shifted as the larger woman lifted her up; green eyes opened a crack. "Tired?" Tara asked, her lips twitching with amusement. Epona nodded silently. "All right. Let's go, then." And she carried the girl up the stairs that led to their room.

Epona yawned deeply as Tara laid her down on the bed. "Hurts...," she mumbled, only half awake.

"Arm's still a bit sore, huh?" The warrior calmly took off her new armor, laying it out carefully in a corner. Her dark eyes rested on the bed as she stripped off her outer clothes. "You're probably fine. I'll take another look at it in the morning."

The slave didn't shrink away, but her skin shivered as Tara began to undress her. Her eyes, a deep jade in the room's dim light, peered up at her fearfully. "Please, it...it'll hurt, ma'am..."

"No, it won't. I'll be careful of it." The warrior continued stripping her down, her strong hands brisk and efficient. "I've told you already – obey me, and you've got nothing to worry about. I'm not going to damage you for no good reason." She removed the last of the slave's clothing, tossing it aside with vague annoyance. Then, with a long, satisfied yawn, Tara stretched herself out on the bed and pulled Epona close. The girl's lips quivered against hers. "Mmm, 's'good," Tara mumbled, cupping the back of Epona's neck in her hand.

"Ma'am," Epona whispered. Tara heard her breath catch in her throat as the warrior's hand slid down over her bare hip. "I'm so tired. Please..."

"Just shut it," the larger woman muttered. "Not in the mood t'hear whining." She kissed the slave again, relishing the taste of the ale on her lips. Tara smirked against the girl's mouth. It was going to be a good night.