Tears of the Fallen Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JazCullen
JazCullen
6,489 Followers

"Being human isn't being weak, Callain. That was what our people had to learn and what they are still learning. Everyone deserves a second chance. Look at the beauty we now have walking among us, my heart. We are evolving into something so amazing. Without the sacrifices we made, the hybrid children would never have been able to enhance our existence."

Callain released her, stepping back to scrutinise her expression, looking for the signs of what she was trying to tell him. "The children are flawed, Ana. They have such power and yet, despite the nurturing of their families and pack, despite everything Sarayne has done to help them, they each have their own demons to slay."

Anakatrine gave him a poignant smile. "I know, and some have more than others. Relearning what it is to have humanity is not an easy thing, Callain. It was never going to be achieved simply by vampires mating with Weres. Yes, there was some progress made, but look at the mated vampires. They still retain too much of the old ways within their souls, despite the joy they've discovered through having mates and children. Look at how our people view those vampires. There is still too much distrust and hate. In addition to that, there is the common misconception that the mated vampires are tainted in some way. It's this generation who will have the hardest road to travel, and that is why we are here in this time, to help them complete that journey. It is the children who will lead us forward, Callain, and they must be protected at all costs."

Turning, the vampire Queen walked over to the books, and selected two from opposite ends of the bookshelves as if she knew exactly where they were the entire time. "This is what they need for now, the rest they can discover on their own." She placed the large tomes on the closest chair, smiling as she felt her mate engulf her from behind again in his arms.

"What do you need me to do, my love?" Callain gave into the need to brush his lips against the fragile skin of her neck.

"Guide him. Don't try to take over. Caleb will fight you every step of the way if you try, and he has much to contribute. Annie can't complete this task without him."

He nodded, nuzzling her neck once more before standing straight and staring into the fire. "And what of us...?"

"Some things are not meant to be known at this time, my heart."

Callain threw his head back and laughed, the sound echoing around the cave. "Yes, my Queen," he chuckled, trying to dampen down his amusement. His beautiful mate would never change; regardless of what time they found themselves in. It didn't matter to him anyway; he would follow wherever she led. "I love you, Ana." He was still smiling as he ceded control back to Caleb, hearing his sweet mate words echoing on the air.

"I love you, Callain."

*****

Caleb was smiling and holding his mate tightly as he once more took dominance over his body. He heard the echoes of Callain and Ana as he surfaced, and knew he'd made the right decision in finally listening to the other male. If only he hadn't been so pig-headed and done it earlier.

"I didn't think anyone could love as strongly as I love you, Caleb," Rhianna whispered with awe in her voice. She turned to look up at him, tears of joy shimmering in her eyes. "Did you feel it too, the beauty between them?"

He was grinning down at her, the same wonderment engulfing his soul as he leaned down and kissed her gently. "I did, Annie. It was amazing." He was surprised to discover he retained the memories of the conversation between the vampire King and Queen. From the expression in Rhianna's eyes, it was clear she did too. Caleb felt her break away from him as she moved towards the books on the chair.

"This is where we start, Caleb."

He walked over to her, reading the titles over her shoulder. "Soul Searching? Masking Lavender?These are the books Anakatrine selected?" Caleb couldn't keep the doubt from his voice. The titles appeared to be so random, he couldn't figure out what their significance may be.

"She must have had a reason and we won't know what that reason is until we take them home and read them. Will you take them while I secure the cave?"

Caleb picked up the books, following Rhianna from the cave and waiting for her to hide it from sight once again. He had no idea what help the books would be, but the excitement in his mate's eyes was infectious. Something within the heavy tomes could potentially help them counter whatever the European covens had in store for them. Whatever knowledge they could glean from them had to be worth the effort.

To be continued...

JazCullen
JazCullen
6,489 Followers