Tears of the Fallen Ch. 17

Story Info
A time to heal wounds?
8.5k words
4.85
33.8k
44

Part 17 of the 23 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 12/23/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JazCullen
JazCullen
6,499 Followers

I would like to thank everyone who has patiently waited for more chapters to be posted. As I have been stressed with work and ill health recently, along with family ill health issues too, your patience has been greatly appreciated. In an ideal world I would have loved to have the chapters submitted more quickly, however real life often doesn't turn out to be ideal as we all know.

For the readers who have lacked any patience or basic human compassion, I have a full time job as well as write. I have put 4.5 years of my spare time into giving you free stories after I've finished my day job. So far this year I've had my father in hospital twice severely ill and only by the grace of God has he come home to us. So perhaps you will forgive me if I say I have had more important things that have taken priority.

I have never left a story unfinished and I have no intention of leaving this one either. Chapters 17-20 will post up quickly for anyone who still wants to read my work. Once again, I want to thank the majority of readers who have been amazing and supportive. Your kindness is very much appreciated.

Jaz

*****

"Kothi, are you sure you'll be fine here on your own? Wouldn't you rather stay with someone for some company?"

Kothari searched his mother's face, seeing the tell-tail signs of concern that was never far when she looked at him. She tried to hide it from him, but he was adept at seeing through most subterfuge. That expression infuriated the monster that lived within him, but it also broke the heart of the little boy who craved his mother's love.

This morning it was the boy who held dominance, and the much softer side of his personality came forth, a side that only his parents ever witnessed. Giving his mother a tight hug, he pushed down his inner demon so he could savour the blissful moment. It wouldn't last, it never did, but he would take each precious moment when he could. "I'll be fine, Mother. You don't need to worry about me. Don't go to Europe looking back and worrying. You need all your attention on your task there."

In truth, he was livid that Rafe was sending his parents away. He knew if he asked them not to go, they would stay. However, he also knew he couldn't ask that of them. Somebody had to go to Europe, it was the only way to protect the pack. Logically he understood that but emotionally he wasn't ready for his parents to be thrust into the heart of the enemy. If anything happened to them...he was afraid of what his monster would do.

"We'll be fine, son," Gard said, entering the living room and setting down the packed cases he was carrying. "We haven't reached this age without knowing how to take care of ourselves. The most important thing is you listen to Rafe at all times and do what he says. If my memory serves me correctly, weren't you supposed to be up at the Praetorian Compound as an extra guard?"

Kothari tried not to bristle at the subtle rebuke in his father's voice. He was supposed to be up at the other compound. He hadn't wanted to leave until he'd had a chance to say goodbye to his parents though. Surely his father understood that? "I'm heading up there shortly. I just wanted to say goodbye." His tone was rebellious and only served to have his mother tightening her hold on him.

"We understand that," Gard answered, a resigned sigh in his words. His son always bristled against any kind of authority, even that of his parents. It was concerning and something they hadn't managed to correct no matter what parenting techniques they'd used over the years. "It would be best if you got yourself up there now. We'll be on our way soon." He took the sting from his words by giving his son a warm hug.

After a long pause, Kothari nodded his head and turned to leave the room. "Be safe."

"I'm worried about leaving him," Rayne said, stepping into Gard's embrace as their son disappeared. It would be the first time Kothari would be alone without his support system and it was hard for her as a mother to leave him.

"He's a grown man, Sarayne. There has to come a day when he needs to discover who he is and fend for himself. He isn't completely alone anyway. He has the pack." Gard's words made sense but she could hear his own concern. Only time would tell just how well Kothari fared left to his own devices.

Shaking off the sensation of doom that threatened to overwhelm her, Rayne smiled up at her mate, leaning in for a long slow kiss to settle her foreboding. "Did Rafe get you?" she asked when Gard let her up for breath. When Rafe had visited earlier to ask about any abnormalities in the Vârcolac mating instincts, her mate had been visiting Rhianna and Caleb to get any last minute instructions they might have had.

"He did though I probably couldn't tell him anymore than you could."

Rayne had been quite flummoxed by the question of whether the animal part of a Vârcolac could be indecisive over the mating pull. She had known that Gard was her mate quite soon into their relationship though it had frightened and confused her a bit at the start. However, that had been the woman's dilemma...not her panther. She could give no clear reason of why Cassia was experiencing indecision from her wolf, though from the girl's reaction to Pietro's rejection, it appeared the wolf had made up its mind.

"It is an interesting development," Gard continued, releasing her from his arms, though looping one around her shoulders. "But not one that we can influence in any way. Caleb had arranged for his friend Joshua to meet us in Scotland. He thought it would be best if we start where Pietro was found and see if we can track backwards to the source of the poison. He has also set another friend travelling to Romania to see if they can turn up any folklore about plants with unusual properties. He didn't say much about that friend but did say they would know how to contact us should they unearth something."

Rayne cuddled closer to his warmth for another moment before she straightened and moved to pick up her case. "I guess we should get this show on the road then."

Gard followed her, retrieving his case and casting one final glance around their home. He was worried for Kothi and equally worried about what they might find when they reached Europe. One thing he was certain of though, nothing would happen to Rayne while he was alive. He'd let her down once before, many centuries ago, and he would never allow that to happen again. Looping his arm around his mate once more, they set off for their car and the trip to the airport.

*****

"Cassia?" The sound of her father's voice seeped through her sleepy mind, pulling her from the endless nightmare of Pietro's harsh words. She didn't want to wake up, and yet, staying asleep wasn't doing her any good either so she forced her swollen eyes to open. Her father was sitting on the edge of her bed, his brown eyes so full of concern that for a moment she thought she'd start weeping again.

She could remember bits and pieces of the preceding day after Pietro had gone, enough to know that she hadn't been alone all through the night. If Dara hadn't been lying beside her, then her mother had, and laterally her father. They had held her as she wept, surrounding her with so much love both physically and mentally that she'd finally fallen into a sleep full of nightmares.

Cassia was exhausted but she hadn't gone rogue. Perhaps the Alexander family had a deep layer of strength that protected them when they lost their mates? Her Uncle Dayton had survived the loss of his first mate. Perhaps Cassia would be able to endure her loss too, because Pietro had been certain in his convictions. He wouldn't forgive what he saw as her betrayal.

More tears came unbidden and she felt her father's arms wrap around her as he rocked her gently. "Let it out, sweetheart. I know it hurts but let it out so it doesn't fester inside you. We are here and always will be. We will love and protect you, my beautiful daughter."

The deep love in his words, the hidden tenderness that lived within her father's hard exterior, was so overwhelming her sobs became louder as she clung on for dear life. She was floundering, drowning; she didn't know how to stop of the tears. Her heart ached so badly she was sure it was going to burst and there was nothing she could do to prevent it.

"Daddy..."Cassia couldn't get any more words out, just that one word so full of anguish she could feel his tears against her neck as he continued to rock her.

"I know, sweetheart. I know."

Cassia cried herself into another restless slumber, waking once more to find her father still beside her bed only this time he was sitting in a chair, his head resting on the cover as he slept. He looked so exhausted that for the first time since Pietro had left she felt an emotion other than misery. She felt ashamed.

Her entire family were suffering because of her weakness. They were probably terrified that they would lose her and she was doing nothing to dissuade them of that. Self-loathing rose up deep inside her and her shame escalated as she imagined what they must be feeling. How could she subject them to that fear? How could she be so weak?

"I'm sorry," she whispered, reaching out to touch her father's golden hair with a shaky hand. His eyes opened instantly, and he blinked sleepily for a moment before his vision cleared and he took her hand in his.

"Never be sorry for needing us, Cass. We are family and we will always be here," he whispered back, gently squeezing her hand to reassure her of that.

She didn't deserve them, not after what she must have put them through in the last twenty four hours. She would show them how strong she was. She would take that awful expression of fear from her father's eyes. "I guess I needed a timeout there," she managed with a shaky half-smile.

"I guess you did," he smiled back stroking a hand tenderly against her tangled curls. His expression turned grave and a dark scowl crossed his face. "Do I need to be having a chat with Pietro?"

Instant fear suffused her at his words. She could imagine just what kind of chat her father was talking about and that was something she didn't want to see happen. Pietro had his reasons for how he was feeling. He had suffered enough without being punished for being justifiably angry about things. "No, please don't, Dad. This is between us. We need to work things out ourselves."

Cassia expected him to argue more but instead his expression cleared and he shot her a rueful smile. "Your mother's been telling me the same thing for hours. Only she hasn't been as polite about it." The open amusement in his eyes was a good indicator of just how vocal her mother had been on the topic. Her father always got that expression of love and admiration when his mate put her foot down about things.

"She's right, Dad. Pietro has no idea that my wolf is claiming him. I didn't tell him because at first my wolf was undecided and also I wanted to give him some time to heal. It's not his fault my stupid animal has decided to overreact to his leaving." Cassia was beginning to feel stronger the more she rationalised things in her mind. Saying the words out aloud appeared to settle her wolf down a lot, its anxiety levels decreasing sharply.

Alexei pondered her words for a moment and then acquiesced. He had to concede that his daughter was the best person to know what was happening and how best to resolve things. It didn't stop him wishing he could take some of her burden as his own, but he knew he had to leave it up to Cassia. "So, you're wolf is certain that he's your mate now? Dara told us that it was undecided before."

Forcing herself into a sitting position, Cassia nodded. "I think this little episode has hammered the point home," she sighed, scrubbing a hand tiredly over her face. She could do with some restful sleep but that didn't appear an option at the moment.

"What are you going to do? You did hear your mother when she explained last night that Pietro has left the pack?"

Cassia nodded again, muffling the half sob that threatened to escape. "Yes, he's gone to The Dive for now," she sighed, working to build her defences as she thought through the issue. "For now, I'm going to get up and have a shower and some breakfast. I'll decide what I'm going to do after that. Maybe all he needs is a little time to feel the effects of the mating pull. I'm not really sure, Dad. I just know that I need to get out of this bed and stop feeling sorry for myself."

Alexei couldn't have felt any prouder of his beautiful child. He was proud of all his girls; they were each amazing in their own ways. He loved Cedar so deeply only death would ever separate their link. His daughters...he cherished them as an extension of his and Cedar's souls. Balancing his own feral nature when one of them was hurting wasn't easy but he tried his damnedest to be the kind of man they could love and respect.

It was frightening to realise his girls had grown up so quickly. Oh, he was aware they followed their mother and the demands of their animal halves. He wasn't that naive that he wasn't aware of their dalliances within the pack. Still, mating was something so very different...and mating to one of his oldest friends? It took him a moment to process that thought before he burst out laughing, startling Cassia.

"What?" Her quizzical expression made him laugh louder.

"I was just remembering the hard time I gave your Uncle Andrei over his reaction to Lily mating with one of our oldest friends. I'm only now realising the boot is on the other foot. He's going to have a field day getting payback."

The subtle way her father gave his approval of her choice of mate wasn't lost on Cassia. Her eyes sparkled as she giggled at his words and she couldn't resist the urge to throw herself into his arms in a tight embrace. "Thank you, Dad." She didn't need to tell him what she was thanking him for.

"You're welcome, sweetheart. Just be happy. That's all I've ever wanted for my girls."

Alexei stayed a little longer with Cassia before he headed back to his own room. It was still early and Cedar was sleeping, having only gone to bed a few hours before. Now that he was sure his daughter would be okay, he gave into the need for a few hours' rest himself, quickly throwing off his clothes and climbing into bed with his mate. Cedar muttered under her breath, rolling over to instinctively wrap her limbs around his tall frame. He hardened in an instant, as he always did when he lay beside his woman.

"Is it Dara's turn?" Cedar murmured, stroking her hand down his back as she sleepily brushed her lips against his chest.

Her touch had his breath catching and he couldn't have stopped himself from tangling his fingers in her curls if he tried. Tilting her head back, he silenced her with a passionate kiss, moaning quietly as her lips parted to his touch and her tongue battled lazily against his.

"Alexei...?"

"Cass is fine, sweetness." His words were muffled as he trailed his mouth down the graceful arch of her neck, laving his tongue greedily against her soft skin. His teeth nipped hard and she moaned and brushed her body against his.

"Really?"

There was still very much the mother in her tone and he sank his teeth a little harder. "Yes, she is. She's showering and making breakfast so that gives us a little time to..."

Cedar arched as his fangs elongated and sank into her neck, pressing her aching breasts against his torso, muffling a cry as one large hand engulfed her flesh and squeezed hard. "Alexei!"

He drank deeply, savouring the hot blood flowing down his throat, his talented fingers moving lower to his other favourite spot on her body. Sinking his fingers deep within her body, he raised his head again to capture Cedar's lips to muffle the sound of her climax. His heart thundered in his chest as her body shuddered in his arms. She was so beautiful when she came apart for him. It was a view he would never tire of watching.

Barely giving her a moment to catch her breath, Alexei rolled on top of his mate, moaning against her mouth as he joined them together. "Hmmm yes, we have enough time to enjoy this and have a little nap afterwards," he laughed, stroking languidly into her hotness, savouring the feel of her body sheathing his in the most intimate of caresses.

Cedar's arms wrapped around his neck, her teeth nipping at the spot when it joined his shoulder. "Then let's dance, lover," she all but purred, rocking her hips up to meets his as she bit down hard.

*****

Cassia heard Dara before she felt her sister cuddle into her from behind. She held still to allow her that moment, knowing she had scared Dara badly. Putting the teapot down carefully, she turned around to hug her sister tightly.

"I was so scared, Cass." Dara whispered the words, and Cassia felt dampness against her neck where her face was burrowed.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you like that," she answered running a soothing hand down her sister's back. "My wolf just got a little overwhelmed by things and needed some time to come to terms with what had happened. I'm fine now, Dara. I promise."

Her sister clung to her a moment longer and then she pulled back and wiped at her wet cheeks. "Are you sure?"

Cassia shot her a rueful smile, a trace of melancholy in her eyes. "I'm still hurting, that hasn't changed, but I'm not wallowing in it any more. I've been racking my brain trying to think of how best to confront Pietro but haven't come up with anything concrete yet." She motioned to Dara to sit and then plated up a cooked breakfast for both of them. Sitting beside her, she ate some of her cheese omelette and sipped at her tea.

"What are you options?" Dara asked between forkfuls of egg and bacon.

Her sister shrugged, staring pensively ahead as she considered her answer. "I suppose I can give him some time and see if the mating pull kicks in. Or, I could pack a bag and move in with him whether he likes it or not."

Dara's eyes widened with shock. "Would you really do that?"

Cassia shrugged. It was something she was considering given the circumstances with Thereasa. "I can't discount it, Dara. I know I would have to discuss it with Mom and Dad, as well as get approval from Rafe, but with the hostility between Pietro and Reasa I may have no choice but to leave the pack."

Her sister's dismay increased. "But...what about researching the antidote and your healer's training? What about the pack? Cass, you're so pack orientated I don't think you could ever be happy being apart from us." Dara was aware that she sounded selfish but nobody knew her sister better than she did. She had no doubt that Cassia wouldn't be happy on her own, even if she was with Pietro.

"What's the other option, Dara? Should Liam and Reasa leave the pack so Pietro and I can stay? What makes my needs more important than theirs? Liam has always needed the pack more than I ever have. Now that Reasa is human she is too fragile to be out there alone even with Liam. We have to consider everything before a decision is reached. You know that in your heart, honey."

Dara did but that didn't make hearing the words any easier. Yesterday she had been afraid she would lose Cassia to turning rogue. Today her relief at finding that wasn't the case wasn't eased any. She didn't know how she would handle her sister not being a part of the pack. They had always been together, always looked out for each other. However, Cassia's happiness had to come first. If things couldn't be resolved between Pietro and Reasa then one of the Vârcolac would have to leave. There was no escaping that fact.

"Maybe once Pietro accepts you as his mate it may help him find some forgiveness in his heart."

Cassia sipped at her tea before giving her sister what she hoped was an encouraging smile. She wasn't so sure of that but it was a hopeful possibility. "Let's wait and see what happens, Dar. For now, let's finish breakfast and then I'm going to head over to the lab for a little while and do some work while I think things through."

JazCullen
JazCullen
6,499 Followers