Ten Great CDs, Ten Great Gifts

Story Info
For the Music Lover on your list.
915 words
4
14.6k
00
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
lindiana
lindiana
157 Followers

Why not give the gift of music this holiday season? Here is a list for you to review and perhaps find something that will suit someone on your list.

Swing Set by Ani DiFranco

If you have not yet had the pleasure of being introduced to Ani's music, let me recommend this small but lovely CD as a beginning step. Why I choose this particular release of all of her releases is for her amazing cover of Bob Dylan's Hurricane. This is a song that is not only a song but a political statement and history lesson rolled up in one. Lord knows, I could never understand Dylan's version but Ani's is remarkably done. If you want to be bold, pick either of these two double CD sets as well:Revelling/Reckoning orLiving In Clip.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? By Various Artists

The film was cute but the music made it unforgettable. A compilation of some great old fashioned American Folk music, this collection is one everyone, folk fan or not, should have in their collection. On a side note, I recently was in a chat room where a young lady described John Cougar Mellencamp as a folk artist. I did not wish to argue with her. This is folk music, folks. John Mellencamp is a bit more rock than folk.

Return of the Grievous Angel: A Tribute to Gram Parsons by Various Artists

You may not know who Gram Parsons is but you should. He is considered to be one of the founders of country-rock which he helped along with his 1960's bands The Byrd's and The Flying Burrito Brothers before he fatally overdosed in 1973 at that young age of 26. This tribute album is not only chock full of talent (The Pretenders, Emmy Lou Harris, Evan Dando, Julianna Hatfield, Sheryl Crow, Elvis Costello, etc) but a portion of the proceeds goes to the Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation's "Campaign for a Landmine Free World." So give the gift that is not only pleasing to the ear but is also helping to get mines out of the ground and provide medical assistance to those disabled by them.

Antonio Carlos Jobim and Friends [Live] by Antonio Carlos Jobim, Oscar Castro-Neves

I am not sure what to classify this CD as since you could call it Jazz but you could also call it Latin and Salsa. Whatever you classify it as, it is easy to listen to and nicely done. If you are unfamiliar with Antonio Carlos Jobim, it is time to become familiar with him and this is a great start.

Star Bright by Vanessa Williams

If you are going to a Holiday party and are in charge of the music, bring along this gem. In my opinion, it is the only Holiday CD you will ever need. Vanessa Williams has a wonderful voice which is perfect for holiday songs.

Louis Armstrong's All Time Greatest Hits by Louis Armstrong

If I need to pitch you on Louis, then you were born under a rock. The man could certainly do more than blow his horn as is apparent by perennial favorite "What a Wonderful World" which, of course, is the first song on this collection. Other Armstrong standards that are included include "Hello, Dolly" and "Blueberry Hill". There is no perfect reason for owning a Louis Armstrong CD except the man is a legend and everyone should have at least one legend in their collection.

Come Clean by Puddle of Mudd

Now for something completely different! This is my car CD. I play it every where I drive. I have gone thru two copies already. Word to the wise, Contains EXPLICIT Language but it has such a rocking beat it has to be played very loud.

Inside Wants Out by John Mayer

John Mayer is what I like to call a musician poet. When you find a great songwriter, he writes poetic songs. That would be John Mayer. Love him or hate him, someone on your gift list will find his music enjoyable. Trust me.

The Complete Verve Studio Master Takes [Box Set] [Original Recording Remastered] by Billie Holiday

Another no brainer. If you do not know who the legendary Miss Holiday is, it is time to get acquainted. She has the voice of an angel and the lasting impact of a Goddess. A great one to pair with Louis Armstrong to play on lazy Sunday afternoons while you read the newspaper. Take my word for it; if you know someone whose idea of heaven is sitting home on a Sunday afternoon, this is a great gift for them.

Patsy Cline's Greatest Hits [Original Recording Remastered] by Patsy Cline

I do have a thing for the oldies. And people that died an untimely death. But Patsy was a phenomenon and her rendition of "Crazy" is a classic. This collection also includes the lovely "Sweet Dreams" and the unforgettable "Why Can't He be You?" In an additional note you can throw at them as they unwrap it, this is the longest selling album in the history of country music, having spent over 630 weeks in the country catalog charts since its reissue in 1988. It lit up the country music charts when it was released in 1967, rolling right up to the #5 position during its first week of release.

Perhaps none of these will suit your buying needs but hopefully it will give you an idea for something other than another tie. Happy Holidays!

lindiana
lindiana
157 Followers