That Doesn't Fly

Story Info
A former "people pleaser" kicks ass.
5.7k words
4.42
52.3k
53
41
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
amyyum
amyyum
1,745 Followers

This story is about an unacceptable circumstance that arose in my marriage and workplace, not a damaged drone. It's about what some people think that they can get away with if you act pleasant and charming most of your life; and how they can be so misguided as to think that.

I'm Amy Stone, nee Brach, a reasonably intelligent, reasonably attractive woman in my late twenties as this story unfolds. I guess through most of my life I was what you would call a "people pleaser," because I wanted to please everyone. It wasn't until I took a course entitled "Psychology Of Self" my sophomore year in college that I realized what I was and how that was not really desirable. I was convinced by the end of the course that in reality being a people pleaser meant that I loved myself less and had less self-confidence than I should have, I was viewed by many people as untrustworthy, and if I was honest with myself that I was resentful of the very people that I was trying to please.

While I won't say that I "snapped out of it," by the time that I finished my sophomore year course it put me on the right path so that by the time that I graduated I had much more self-esteem and self-confidence, was not resentful, and said what I meant (in polite terms, however, I didn't become mean) rather than what I thought a person wanted to hear. By the time that I started law school I was able to function very well.

I met my husband Niles Stone after my first year of law school. He was in graduate business school at the same university and about three years older than I was. I had always considered the name "Niles" pretentious, and he had a bit of that quality in him, but fortunately it was overshadowed by many excellent qualities. In fact about the only quality (aside from his slight pretentiousness) he had that I didn't like was a manner that was too flirtatious around good-looking women. He knew where I stood on fidelity, however, and didn't cross the line.

My relationship with Niles quickly got sexual and one thing about my "people pleaser" past that I did not give up was my desire to make my sex partner happy and fulfilled. Niles was also good at that himself, so we had many, many exciting and rewarding sexual experiences both before and after we were married.

While as I said I'm reasonably good looking, I always felt that Niles was considerably better looking than I am, although it never really bothered me, was never called to my attention by others, and had no effect whatsoever (either good or bad) on my self-esteem.

I graduated law school with decent grades, and excellent recommendations, so I got a job with a fairly prestigious firm right off the bat. Unfortunately, there were more than a decent share of pigs in the firm, some of whom seemed to believe that despite the fact that I was married that I would love nothing better than to jump in the sack with them because they were such hot shit litigators. One of the rainmakers was particularly obnoxious. After about his third proposition I started surreptitiously recording him. After I had the goods on him on tape one day he grabbed my ass so I kneed him in the balls and hit him in the face with a law book (I believe that it was volume 481 of the F.3d reporter which coincidentally had the sexual harassment case of Yuknis v. First Student, Inc., at page 552 thereof).

Of course the firm instantly wanted to fire me. When I played my tape for the senior partner his face turned pale especially after I made it clear beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would be filing a sexual harassment suit against the firm for maintaining a hostile work place, and also suing their rainmaker himself for per se harassment. Within a week I was allowed to resign with a $75,000 severance, a contract signed by the rainmaker and the senior partner promising never to badmouth me to anyone, and a glowing recommendation letter from the senior partner himself.

Having had enough of the "old boy" network in just the one year that I worked for my first firm, my next job was with the firm Marks & Benson, P. C. The managing partner and majority shareholder of the firm was Wynona Marks, more than half the firm was female, and I seemed to fit right in.

Wynona is an intelligent person with really big boobs and an even bigger ego. While probably in her mid-forties she obviously has really good genes and/or works out daily, because she definitely is a "looker." While I'm certainly no expert I would think that the average male would consider her physical appearance a 9.9 on a scale of 1-10.

Wynona is also an expert in using her sexuality to her advantage with male judges, juries, and even male attorneys on the other side of a case. Firm lore said that she had been divorced twice, was a man-eater, and now single. I neither liked nor disliked Wynona, although I did respect her legal abilities and her facility at manipulating people, as long as she didn't try it with me.

I really liked the work at Wynona's firm. After being there less than three years I already had under my belt two trials as second chair and two as lead counsel. At the critical point of this story I was second chair for a really important and complicated trademark infringement and unfair competition case with John Bradley, our firm's top litigator, as lead counsel for one of the firm's original, and most important, clients Z** Industries, Inc.

You know how sometimes you simply don't have a connection with a person or an insight to a project, while at other times you immediately click with a person or project; in my case I really clicked with all of the people at Z** Industries and I had a real feel for the trademark/unfair competition case. In fact even though John was lead counsel Z** Industries' general counsel Kyle Arthur and CEO Brandon Patrice would often call me with questions or to impart information. John is a very secure guy so he never took offense. Also, John made sure that I didn't do any grunt work and palmed that off to two other non-shareholder attorneys.

**************

Wynona had never met Niles until a firm party about two months before the critical time of this tale. While there had been other social occasions for one reason or another Niles was not able to attend them even though he gave every indication of wanting to. I wished that he never had attended any firm function after the first time that he did.

It was clear that Wynona was very impressed by Niles, and he by her 9.9/10 looks and enormous tits. On a number of occasions I had to intervene when they were getting too friendly, especially when Wynona started acting tipsy (I sincerely doubt that she was drunk since her personality required her to always be in control) and smashed her mammoth mammaries into Niles' chest.

The ride home from the event was not a happy one. I was steamed at both Wynona and Niles, but he was the only one in my sphere at the time so I lit into him.

"Have fun mashing Wynona's fun bags River?" I sarcastically asked. (I only call Niles "River" when I'm mad at him – a lame reference to Egypt's sacred waterway).

"What – I didn't do anything – I can't help it that your boss is friendly," he defensively replied.

We had one of the two biggest fights of our relationship that night, and it didn't end well since he wouldn't take seriously my warning that Wynona was a man-eater. I slept in one of the guest rooms of our overly large house that Niles just had to have even though it stressed our budget despite our relatively large paychecks.

I vowed never to go to a firm function again unless Niles was out of town.

***************

On a Thursday morning a little more than two months after the firm party Niles attended Wynona made a rare visit to my office, and closed the door. After much more pleasant chit-chat than normal she said "I'm having a party at my country house this weekend starting Friday early evening. I'd really like you and Niles to come. There are some guys there I'd like you to meet, and I'm sure that you'd have a lovely time."

"Guys there I'd like to meet?" I said to myself. What's the fuck with that? That made my already spider senses even more tingly.

"Thank you so much for the invite Wynona, but I don't think that we can make it..." I responded before she interrupted.

"Oh I talked to Niles and he said you were free so..." she smilingly stated.

"Wait – when did you talk to Niles?" I interrupted in turn.

"Why yesterday," she said with a grin.

"How did you get hold of him?"

"Why I called him on his cellphone, of course, silly."

"Why do you have my husband's cellphone number? He has nothing to do with our business," I snapped.

"Don't get your panties in a bunch, Amy; we have a lot in common and are friends," she huffed.

Standing up and looking her straight in the eye I said "Let me make one thing perfectly clear to you Wynona. That doesn't fly with me. I don't appreciate you having contact with my husband. From now on the ONLY time you will have contact with him is when I am personally present. Is that clear?" I snarled, my voice raised.

"You have no right to talk to me that way," she snarled back. "You're my subordinate."

"I don't give a shit what our relationship is; if you talk to my husband again when I am not personally present the day after I find out about it my resignation will be on your desk," I responded, this time in what I hoped was a calm, controlled, ice-cold tone.

Wynona tried to take things down a notch. "Look, Amy; I like you and you have a real future at this firm. You shouldn't let something like this distract you; it means nothing."

Just then there was a knock at my door and my secretary Janet stuck her head in. "Sorry to interrupt, Mrs. Stone, Ms. Marks, but Kyle Arthur is on the phone for you Mrs. Stone and he says that it's urgent.

Without paying any further attention to Wynona I sat at my desk, took one deep breath, picked up the phone and cheerily said "Hi Kyle – what's up."

After Kyle and I clearly started talking about the upcoming trademark trial Wynona got the message and left – with a little steam coming from her ears.

After I dealt with, to his satisfaction, the emergency that Kyle had hit me with I tried to call Niles, but couldn't get ahold of him at work or on his cell. I got busy with other things and resolved to wait to talk with him when I got home from work.

Niles met me at the door when I got home. After some initial pleasantries and more affection than he had ever displayed before on a normal weekday arrival, he started in with "So are we going to your boss' country house this weekend. I think that you told me once before that she has horses, and I love to ride and haven't been for a while."

My evil thought, which I didn't say, in response to that was "I know damn well what you want to ride and it isn't her horses." Instead I said "No, I don't want to go."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't like the way that Wynona has seemingly ingratiated herself to you, that's why, and I want to avoid a scene," I snapped.

"Look Amy, there's nothing between us..." he started to say before I rudely interrupted.

"I don't like you taking long lunches with her, you have no reason to," I stated with arms crossed. Of course I had no idea whether Niles and Wynona ever had lunch together, let alone long ones, but he probably didn't know what Wynona had told me, so he wouldn't take the chance of denying it if he had. After a short pause and a big smile from him he continued to try to blow smoke up my ass.

"Amy, honey, it was only two or three times and we spent most of the time talking about how great you are and how well you're doing at the firm," he said. Yes, he really did say that.

"That doesn't fly," I snarled.

"What does that mean?" he countered.

"You got all As in English in school, I think that you can figure it out," I re-joined.

We went back and forth a little more before his fatal error.

"Honey we have lots of expenses with our house..." he started out before I interrupted again.

"The one you just had to have that I thought was too expensive; that house you mean?"

"Amy, that's not fair; we both enjoy it. With our expenses we can't have you getting on your boss' bad side and getting fired, or you doing something stupid like quitting."

My head snapped up; there is no fucking way he would say something about me quitting unless Wynona passed on my threat to him. "Have you had a communication with Wynona today?"

"Uh...I can't remember...but..." he stammered before another interruption from me.

"Let me see your cellphone call log, and your text logs for today; not the texts themselves, just the log," I snarled.

"That's an invasion of my privacy; there are private things with clients there."

"I said I don't want to see the substance of the texts, just the log," I reiterated.

I saw him staring at his cellphone sitting on a counter about four feet away. I reached for it. He yanked it out of my hand. "I told you it's private."

I stormed outside and immediately called Wynona's cellphone on mine. Her secretary Gloria didn't want to put me through but I told her to tell Wynona that it was essential that she pick up.

"What's the matter," she opened the conversation in a gruff voice.

"Why did you send Niles a text when I told you not to?" I asked in as calm a voice as I could muster.

I'm sure that she thought that Niles had confessed and didn't want to dig a deeper hole by lying so she said "I just thought that he should know that you threatened to quit. His economic well-being is at issue too," she stated in a forceful voice.

I immediately terminated the call.

I pretended to act like nothing was wrong the rest of the night but Niles eyed me warily. I think that he was surprised when I was the aggressor sexually when we went to bed – little did he know that the only reason was because, depending upon what happened the next day, Friday, it may be the last time that we fucked. I simply looked at him as a good-looking gigolo as I rode him reverse cowgirl – I didn't want to look at his face – through two orgasms before he unloaded in me. Physically it was very rewarding even if emotionally bankrupt. I fell asleep almost immediately afterward.

The next morning he thought that everything was hunky-dory because he was cheerful. As I left he said "Remember, we need to get home by 1:00 p. m. so that we can get on the road to your boss' country house."

"I already told you that I'm not going," I smiled.

"Amy you have to. I don't want to go without you but I will if just to save your career."

"That doesn't fly," I responded.

"Again with that phrase; what the hell does that mean?"

"It means that I don't believe your reason for wanting to go and if you do there WILL be consequences."

"Amy, you're blowing this all out of proportion..." he started to say when I gave him a quick peck on the lips and then hurriedly exited with him calling out "Be here by one o'clock..." and some other bullshit that I wasn't listening to.

****************

When I got to the office I wrote up my resignation letter, collected all of my personal items, and then brought the letter to Wynona's office. Her secretary, Gloria, who I had a good relationship, greeted me.

"Hi Amy, what brings you here?"

"Hi Gloria, I have a letter for Wynona. Is she in?"

"No, she left last night to go to her country house to get things ready for a party she's having this weekend – one, by the way, that her loyal secretary was not invited to."

I could tell that Gloria was pissed; she doesn't hide her feelings.

"Are you going Amy? I thought her say something about you and your husband Niles being invited." It didn't surprise me that Gloria knew Niles' name given Wynona's apparent interest in him,

"No, I'm not going Gloria; in fact you probably won't see much of me anymore. I'm resigning."

"What? Gloria shrieked. "You can't do that...we love you."

"Sorry, Gloria, it's complicated. Please keep this under wraps, however, until my resignation letter is delivered into Wynona's hot little hands."

"Will do – but when will that be?" she asked.

"I don't know yet; it depends on whether my husband goes to Wynona's little soiree. I've got some phone calls to make, and then I'll come to see you again – after one o'clock," I concluded with a smile.

I then proceeded to the unpleasant task of telling lead counsel John Bradley, Z** Industries' general counsel Kyle Arthur, and Z** Industries' CEO Brandon Patrice, that I had resigned. But I wanted to wait until after one o'clock to do that. In the meantime I called some lesser clients and told them about it and how I was sure that there would be an orderly transition of their files. One client said where I went it would go, but the others were non-committal.

Niles called at 12:55. "Where are you, Amy?"

"I'm at work," was my deadpan reply.

"I told you we needed to get on the road by one o'clock, and even if you leave right now we won't get to leave until 1:30 at the earliest."

"Were you listening to what I was saying last night, or did you just hear what you wanted to hear. I'm NOT going, as in nada, at no time," I replied.

"I thought you were just in a little funk. Your boss will be upset if you don't go."

"Like I give a shit whether Wynona will be upset or not?" I challenged.

After a significant pause in a stern voice Niles said "Well I'm going with or without you."

"I told you last night, that doesn't fly," I responded.

"And I told you I don't know what that means," he shot back.

"It means there WILL be consequences; bye," I retorted and then terminated the call.

Niles called back but I let it go to voicemail.

I got a deli sandwich for lunch – "my last meal" at Marks & Benton – before I talked to John etc. and got out my iPhone with locator app. Once I was sure that Niles' iPhone was on its way to Wynona's country house my path ahead was clear.

John was distressed by my decision. I actually saw him break out into a cold sweat. "I don't know that I can do the Z** Industries trademark infringement and unfair competition trial without you," he said, showing a lack of self-confidence for the first time in my interactions with him.

"I don't want to leave you in the lurch, John. If something can be worked out I will continue with it because I really like the people at Z** Industries, especially Kyle and Brandon. However, it will not be as an employee of Marks & Benton, P. C."

John asked for a complete explanation. I gave it to him – after swearing him to secrecy about the reasons. He started to sweat more. "Can't you just get through the trial first?" he asked.

"Absolutely not; I told the bitch that I would resign the day after her next contact with Niles, which is today; and I'm a woman of my word," I resolutely responded. "Now I have the unpleasant task of calling Kyle and Brandon."

"Amy – can you wait on that. Let me think for a while and then let me talk to them first, OK? I have a secret for you too. I was just diagnosed a week ago with hypertension, and am on medication and was told by my doctor in no uncertain terms to reduce my workload and stress otherwise I won't be long for this world," John glumly said.

"Oh shit – I'm so sorry, John; that's awful!"

"Yeah, tell me about it; I've always been a hard-charger, and if I continue like that it will result in an early grave. My point is not to make you sad for me or to change your mind; it's just that I need to work out a solution," he said wiping his brow.

"I...I...don't know what to say," I stammered.

"Just let me think about it for a while and call Kyle before you do. Can you wait until about 3 o'clock?"

"No problem, John; I'll wait," I solemnly replied.

I looked through all my files to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything, brought my personal items to my car in two trips, and checked my iPhone locator app again, which indicated that Niles was close to Wynona's country house. By then it was about 3:30. My cellphone rang – it was Kyle Arthur.

amyyum
amyyum
1,745 Followers
12