The Ancient Prophecy Ch. 11b

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Fire!!" Hawk ordered.

The longbows proved their versatility as hundreds of arrows filled the sky and rained the field where the evil folks made their advance. Hawk could see a good number of creatures collapsing already. Each Elf retrieved no less than three arrows for each longbow and armed the weapon again. Another order was issued and multiple arrows blitzed the hellish horde and claimed more lives. The creatures now acknowledged the alliance's presence and marched to attack, leaving the shrine alone.

"Alliance army, slow advance, execute!!"

Then the longbows finally met their match. Instead of arrows, the Orcs began to throw... axes! The two leaders could only watch in horror as several axes were flung toward them. Most of them were deflected using the shields, but several Human pikemen collapsed from the attack. The axes were light and smaller than battle axes. The long handle made them easy to propel, although special training was needed to use them properly. It was clear that they were fighting professional army now.

"Maximum defense, execute!!" Hawk barked.

The Humans quickly abandoned their pikes and armed their shields instead. The Dwarves angled their shields slightly toward the sky, therefor completing a long line of shield wall on the front line. The knights stuck close to the army, using the shield wall as cover. The shield opened occasionally, and waves of arrows soared through the air, running the battlefield with deadly bolts.

"The dragon!!" One Elven scout screamed in horror. "The dragon is coming!!"

Roberto could see the silhouette of a dragon against the dense clouds. For an instant he wished he was seeing Agar, but his hope collapsed when the angry-red color was clearly visible.

"That's the red dragon." He muttered under his breath. "We're doomed..."

"Wrong. The time is near." Euclid said. "All five Warriors of the Guardian are present here."

"Yeah, but... What?!" Atrus exclaimed. "I... I thought we're short of one person!"

"You're wrong." He smiled. "The Champion of the Guardian is indeed near."

"No, it can't be..." Atrus frowned, then looked at Falstoff. "Unless..."

The new guy instantly stepped back. "Now if you're going to ask me again about weird dreams just like Roberto did, my answer remains the same! No, I haven't had any weird dreams!"

"Are you absolutely sure?" Lynn asked.

"Honest!" He said to the Fairy. "You know me! You know how much I love looking at the stars in the night! I have no time to dream away!"

"But you weren't born yesterday!" Holgreb spoke up. "You're what... nineteen, right? How about the dreams when you're small...?"

Falstoff fell silent, but Atrus could notice the sudden flash in his eyes. "What?"

The warrior remained silent, but Holgreb answered for him. "When the royal advisor interviewed him in the castle, I was there. He claimed that he lost his memory somewhere in his childhood. He can't remember anything from the time of his birth until..."

"Enough!!" Falstoff roared, his eyes fiery in anger. "That matter is not for discussion!!"

"Can't you understand, kid?!" The Dwarf persisted. "Your dream might be the final key to the entire prophecy! Your dream might save the realm from those demonic critters!"

"My childhood is my problem!" The warrior shot back. "It's lost, and it's lost forever!"

"I don't care about your childhood!! I care about the final prophecy!!"

Without warning, Falstoff drew his blade and was about to attack the Dwarf when the ground shook. Suddenly the sight of the sky around them turned crystal clear.

"We have a problem..." Euclid muttered gravely. "The magic barrier has just collapsed."

"Cover!!" Hawk barked.

All raised their shields just in time to face the mighty wrath of the red dragon. Kastor flew low and released a stream of flame from his gaping mouth. The flame hit the shield wall with tremendous force. Most of the wall section held and those who got knocked back suffered the consequence of being burnt to ashes. The Dwarves and Humans worked together well in holding the shield wall thanks to the special Dwarven metal alloy for their shields. The Elves, possessing shields made out of wood, had to duck for cover among their fellow races and popped back afterwards to shoot their longbows toward the dragon. Many lucky arrows met their marks, but none seemed to inflict serous effect on the beast.

Roberto frowned at the sight before him.

The demons had opened nine Gates near the shrine courtyard and unless the demons are extremely dumb, the Shrine of Lycra should have been turned into rubbles by now. But the demons seemed to refrain from attacking the shrine. They loosed arrows and throwing axes occasionally, but not intended to cause real damage. It looks more like they're defending the shrine... But the small town of Tymm was already ablaze. Why are they destroying the small town with such a huge army...? If they just want to destroy the small town, why use the dragon...?

"Prince Roberto!" Hawk called. "I can't believe it! Kastor is leaving!"

He was right. The red dragon shrieked in anger and flew toward the east. The lizard soared through the air in great speed and soon disappeared beneath the clouds. Things are getting more weird...

"Let's go, people!!" The prince raised his sword. "We have a village to save!!"

"Warriors of the realm, I present to you, the Sword of Faith, the weapon of the Gods..."

The party gasped at the sight... not for long, though. The sword was jammed into the marble altar located at the center of the small shrine. The legendary sword of the Gods was merely a sword made out of stone. The design of the handle was remarkable, with safety pins at the end, fine and decorative handle, and even blood groove along the slightly revealed blade. The dark color of the sword contrasted with the pure white marble, but the blade seemed welded in one with the altar.

"Um..." Maya tried to break the silence. "Very... original..."

Euclid laughed lightly. "You haven't seen the actual sword. Only the Chosen One can use it."

The Dwarf eyed Falstoff angrily. "We could have known if this hunk had told everything..."

"You can't say that! He might be telling the truth!" Lynn protested.

"Now you're defending him!"

"Stop acting like children!!" Atrus yelled angrily, then turned to the hermit. "Continue."

"As the Warriors of the Guardian, you all must defend this site. I'm sure the dragon will soon return to claim his prize. The weapon of the gods must remain intact until the Chosen One arrives."

"Very well..." Atrus nodded.

"One warning." Euclid produced a small rock, tossed it into the sword and smiled at the party's amazement when the stone was zapped into dust. "Only the Chosen One and the Chosen One only can touch the sword. Anything else will be burnt to dust instantly. Understand?"

It took a while until Atrus could find his voice again. "All right, we'll do this. Holgreb, Falstoff and Aurelia, secure the perimeter. Calem and Lynn, try to erect an emergency magic barrier around the island. Do it, now!"

Everybody spread out to do his or her tasks. Atrus stared weakly at the sword on the altar. They had to protect that thing, he thought. And the odds were against them. For the first time during the time of his travel, he was afraid of losing.

"Honey..." Anna said slowly. "I'm sorry I can't help..."

"It's okay, dearest." Atrus put his arm around her shoulder. "You're still recovering."

"Master Atrus..." Maya came to him. "D...do you think... Prince Roberto is the one...?"

"We are just as clueless as you, Maya." Atrus admitted.

"But if he is, then we should bring him here! He's to arrive today!"

Atrus paused, then looked away. "That makes sense. I should have left someone to tell him."

"Master, I don't blame you!" Maya said quickly. "I...I'm just worried of the outcome..."

"Look at the bright side, Maya." Anna pointed at the altar. "Remember three years ago? We were merely mercenaries looking for money and fame. We just dreamed that we would find the fabled hero bound to save the realm. And now, we are fighting for the realm itself. Now, we are standing before the weapon of the Gods. Now, we are bound to be the witnesses of the salvation."

Maya smiled. "You're right, Mistress... We've gone this far. We can't give up now."

"You're not being yourself." Atrus grinned at her. "That's supposed to be your line."

"Let's just say..." Maya said. "This war has changed us all."

Atrus drew his Rainbow Sword and glanced at the blade. "You're right. Three years ago I'm just a Ranger-in-training, fighting for money and fame and skill to be a full Ranger. Now, I've forgotten all about the fame. After the Chosen One is revealed, my task for the Guardian is done."

"Then what you're going to do, honey?" Anna asked sheepishly.

"I suppose I'll get my Ranger status... then I'll come for the soul-mate of my life..."

"Atrus!!" Aurelia screamed in terror. "K...Kastor...!! He's coming right for us...!!"

"Assuming we survive this fight..." He uttered under his breath. "Get ready!!"

Roberto swung his Kaiser Sword, sweeping the area along the street as far as his horse carried him and slaying any demons foolish enough to be on his path. Captain Hawk followed him close behind, slaying the survivors from the first run. Behind them, the ragtag team of alliance soldiers and refugees worked together to ward off the critters and put down the fire. A dozen Fairies, arriving a little late, carried pails and dumped seawater over the burning houses.

The Army of Darkness, seeing this, threw flame-tipped javelins and spears, hoping to burn the entire village and trapping the alliance army inside the fire, but the high races worked together. The soldiers kept the Orcs and Goblins at bay while the refugees and villagers put down the fire. Another group of Fairies swooped down in the middle of the evil army and spread chaos in their formation. The Elves shot back with their longbows, claiming more lives.

Yet the fight went on and on like this. The Elves couldn't fight forever, and they didn't have unlimited arrows. The Gates, however, kept on spitting new creatures from the Underworld. Their waves, although unorganized, were endless. The foul army was keeping them away from the shrine and pinning them against the Northern Ocean.

"Roberto!" Hawk called. "The villagers claimed that the village is abandoned! Most of the refugees are safe inside the shrine!"

"What?!" His eyes darted toward the empty, burning buildings they were trying to save.

It was a trap. The attack to the village was a decoy.

He quickly noticed a pair of Goblins trying to sneak up from his back. He beheaded the first one with his sword and watched Hawk dispatch its partner.

"We can't keep on fighting like this!" Hawk gasped.

Tell me something I don't know... "Let's hope Atrus knows what he's doing..."

What am I doing?!!

This was the silliest idea, Atrus thought. Calem had erected a magic barrier, not as strong as the original one, but should be enough, at least he claimed. Anna had prepared the magic missile spells, Maya had her throwing knives ready, and Aurelia got her bow prepped. They were determined, but Atrus wasn't sure they would hurt the dragon much. The rest, Holgreb, Falstoff and himself would be sitting ducks, fine targets yet unable to strike back.

Kastor swept low and roared as it hit the invisible barrier. Anna released steady streams of magic missiles, knocking the dragon back. The beast withdrew quickly, evading the arrows and knives. It hovered in the air, glaring at them angrily.

Then he felt the sudden surge of air around him. His instinct screamed at him.

"It's about to breathe fire..." Aurelia confirmed his fear.

Atrus could see the bright flame coming from the dragon's gaping mouth and then there was a blinding light around him, stunning him for a while. The view returned, but his sight flashed madly from the light. A surge of searing hot air swept past him, making him flinch. He could feel a body, probably Maya's, slamming against him, pushed by the blast.

"Maya, are you okay...?"

"I can't see, Master..." She cried while gripping him tightly. "Don't let go of me...!"

He felt a soothing sensation caressing his mind and when he opened his eyes, his sight returned as normal. It was Anna who'd cured his sight. Most of the party were lying on the ground, panting and groaning from the attack. Calem was still up, leaning on his staff, trembling. The dragon was now flying over and around them for another pass.

"Never felt something that hot before!" Holgreb said.

"We're up against an angry dragon!" Falstoff snapped. "Get used to it!"

"If we do, we'll be dead in no time!" Lynn said. "Calem?"

The older man replied weakly, "I don't know how long I can keep the barrier. The fire breath drained my power considerably. If we don't figure something up really soon, we're toast."

Atrus felt the sensation of anger and despair in him and let it flow pass his mind barrier. The sensation exploded in bright flame now covering his body from head to toe, even to the tip of his sword. So far, the flame had provided partial protection against spells and physical impacts. Although he doubted the flame would stop the fire breath, at least he knew he was resisting it rather than being hopeless.

"Cover me." Anna said. "I'll snipe him."

Atrus stood in front of her, facing the dragon. Falstoff anxiously looked at the flame around Atrus' body and decided to keep his distance and cover her flank instead. Holgreb, still glaring at the new guy in annoyance, took the other flank.

"Here it comes..." Calem muttered.

Aurelia released a barrage of arrows toward the advancing dragon. The beast gnarled in pain and anger as the bolts punctured its thick hides, stopping it midway in his flight. It fired back, breathing thick burst of flame from its mouth. The flame, however, was too far from the party and therefor splashed harmlessly against the magic barrier. Anna saw the window of opportunity and released a burst of lightning bolt. The bolt hit the dragon's left eye with absolute accuracy.

"Way to go, girl!" The Elf cheered.

"Don't get excited yet." Lynn warned. "He's coming here, and he's mad..."

The dragon breathed its flame again, this time far stronger. The flame splashed against the barrier in bright explosion, shocking the ground nearby. A painful moan from Calem told Atrus that they were in trouble.

"Out of the way!!" He barked.

The Dwarf jumped for cover while Lynn pushed Falstoff away with her magic. Anna, however, was stunned by the bright explosion. Her body remained rigid on her feet. Atrus could see the flame puncturing the weakened barrier and coming to her way. No one was close enough to save her... but he was. He stepped before her and faced the flame.

"Master!!" Maya screamed in terror.

There was a blinding flash of pain surging through his body. His eyes snapped closed, yet he could see bright flashes before him. His skin screamed from the intense heat. He couldn't even yell. The pain was too much for him. Yet his feet held, resisting the powerful wave of flame from the beast.

Then he could feel Anna's body abandoning his back. For a moment he relaxed, knowing that she was safe. He could feel the flame engulfing his body. The pain was unbearable and he could feel his protective power yielding to the agonizing pain. He could even feel himself yielding to the pain.

His purpose was done. His journey was over and the only girl he loved was safe. If he had to, he'd embrace Death willingly.

And he didn't resist when the flame tossed him off his feet.

Anna felt the tendrils of magical power grabbing her lithe body and drawing her away from the line of fire. She stared in horror as the flame washed through Atrus' body, tossing it backward...

Backward toward the altar and the Sword of Faith...

If mortals touch it, the person will be burnt to dust, she recalled her mother saying yesterday.

NO!! The shock was too great she couldn't scream.

Atrus prone body smashed to the altar. The stone let out a loud crack before shifting slightly from the blow. And the Sword of Faith began to glow brightly. The light soon became unbearably bright that everybody had to shield his or her eyes. Anna turned away and froze as Atrus' earth-shattering scream filled the air.

She finally found the strength to scream back his name...

Roberto reflexively grabbed his horse's reins tightly as the steed shrieked and jerked aggressively. Hawk, who was fighting on his feet, stumbled forward as the ground beneath him shook violently. The entire alliance army instantly lay flat on the hard ground. Around them, the already-deserted town collapsed. The brick houses crumbled to the ground, unable to withstand the sudden and violent earthquake.

"What's happening?!" Hawk cried. "One of the demons' nasty tricks?!"

"I doubt it!" Roberto replied. "The Orcs are affected as well."

It was true. The Army of Darkness was scattered around the field, stumbling over each other. The demons might be fool enough to cast a destructive spell on themselves, but not like this, not when they were so close to victory.

Then the lightning bolts shot from the sky to the earth, striking the ground right among the Orcist horde. The ground exploded, scattering the Orcs all over the battlefield.

"Don't tell me Atrus did this..." Hawk muttered.

"If he did," Roberto replied, "he just enlisted his name on the royal court jester ranks..."

Continuous streams of lighting shot out from the sky and connected to the nine Gates around the shrine. Roberto could hear a strange roar coming from nowhere. Strange bright lights came out from the previously dark holes, and the Gates began to shrink in size, as if the lighting is welding them shut.

And he could see the brand new holes forming among the demon's ranks.

"Alliance Army!!" He raised his Kaiser Sword. "The Heaven is on our side!!"

And the war-weary army regained their lost spirit and shouted a new war cry. The Elves, disheartened without fresh supply of arrows, abandoned their bows and armed their lances. The Dwarves formed a long line of defense, ready with their shields and battle-axes. The last line, the menacing men-on-beasts, raised their swords, ready to charge their horses into the heating battle.

"CHARGE!!"

The knights headed the assault, led by the distinguished Captain Hawk himself. The disoriented Army of Darkness was quickly dispatched. The knights delivered a spearhead assault, making a direct path to the shrine, and expanding sideways. Roberto then led the remaining army to invade the shrine main complex. He paced his horse toward the courtyard, determined to know what's going on.

"Hawk, come back here!!" He called his second-in-command. "We'll start asking some basic questions..."

Atrus groaned.

His mind was a mess, but he tried to cope with his surrounding. He recalled the intensely bright light blinding his eyes right after the searing pain from the flame. Then he remembered a loud crash. The pain, however, was gone. He could feel something pressing on his body, but no pain. He tried to open his eyes and was startled with the light around him. Is this Paradise...?

Then he felt something poking his nose. He relaxed his neck, but went panic when he felt the substance creeping inside his nostrils. Reflexively he jerked and found rough surface on top of his body. Slowly he opened his eyes. He reached out for the surface before him and felt it. It was cold, and it had a smooth surface on certain side. Just like marble...

The shrine was made out of marble, he recalled. The loud crash had to be the shrine collapsing, and he had been beneath it. He blinked his eyes and touched the stone. It was so clear he could see the contour. He was buried beneath the stones, yet he didn't have problem seeing his surrounding. He gasped when his own hand passed before his eyes.