The Ant Woman Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

There were a few elegant chairs with small round tables. Some concubines were already seated and maids were serving breakfast there instead of in their apartments. The biggest and prettiest chair was kept on a platform that only needed a single step to climb. The dining table near it was slightly bigger than the rest.

Sitting in that prominent chair, fanning herself with a rigid, oval fan of silk, there was Pollen Lady Kumi. Despite the cool air outside, it was fairly warm inside. The body heat and hot food alone was enough to keep the air from chilling for now.

Pollen Lady Kumi was a fifth ranking concubine, and the mistress of this palace. The eating utensils on her table had tortoise shell handles. She had no yellow in her clothing, and no golden embroidery, but she was still dressed well.

Her gown was a moss green with silver and duck egg blue embroidery, blue dots and silver loops that seemed to be falling. Her blouse was tucked into the gown, and the sleeves dangled, at lease three feet. The blouse's color was black with a simple white pattern of very thin, overlapping circles. Her long shawl was diaphanous and dark red.

This lady's jewelry was like her clothing, appropriate for her rank. She had two hairsticks in her strawberry blonde hair, close together on the same side, perhaps ten inches in length, which would be the maximum length permitted. One of the sticks had a chain of silver with tiny silk leaves, six inches in length, a length that was allowed.

Pollen Ladies were also allowed to wear flowers, natural or false, with a diameter up to six inches, but the clusters of white and pink bellflowers in Pollen Lady Kumi's hair were all quite small. Four silver bangles were on each of her delicate wrists; they made light clanging noises as she moved her fan. There were four silver necklaces at her throat and collarbone, none of them exceeding half an inch in width.

Her face had seven symbols painted and glued on, but no gold nor silver colors. Her fingernails were painted dark blue. Seafoam Attendants, for example, were only allowed a clear varnish on their nails. Jiafahn ... or rather Wen, she'd chosen to ignore the concept. Her fingernails were naked.

Pollen Lady Kumi's slightly plump face tilted one way as she stared down at Wen. As Wen gave the half-kneel and politely greeted her, Kumi's thin, brown eyes narrowed. "Sit down. A meal has been arranged for you."

"Yes, Madam." Wen took her seat as Moto and Nuan stood by. The Pollen Lady's two favored maids also stood by, but Wen knew she had even more servants than that, including some eunuchs. A concubine that managed a palace always had more servants, and more food. Compared to a Seafoam Attendant's food, for example, a Pollen Lady would always be given much more amounts of premium meat, sugar, and honey.

Today's meal, however, wasn't too lavish. Kumi was only given larger amounts of what the Seafoam Attendants were given. Chunks of radishes and cubes of tofu that had been broiled in broth. Just barely sweetened congee with a few pickled plums. A few steamed dumplings filled with ground pork. Some eggs that had been cooked in a brew of tea leaves. And cups of tea mixed with soy milk. Wen noticed that her eating utensils had polished wooden handles.

Wen was quiet. Kumi was quiet too. Other concubines were talking to each other in low tones.

But some moments later, Kumi looked to Wen and said, "Seafoam Wen," sometimes, it was easier to refer to a concubine by the nature-inspired term attached to her rank, "you aren't required to eat in this room every morning. You're free to eat in your apartment, or in the garden, even on a balcony or porch. And if someone invites you to eat with them, it would be best to accept that invitation."

Lowering her head and giving a sitting bow, Wen said, "I appreciate the beautiful Pollen's advice."

Many people kept tiny lids with a small, knob-like handle on top over their cups of tea. Pollen Lady Kumi was no different. She delicately tilted her lid back as she sipped her tea. Her long fingernail guards, claw-like pieces of jewelry that protected the last two fingernails from damage, reminded Wen of bird's beaks. Seafoam Attendants weren't allowed to wear fingernail guards but all the other ranks were granted the right.

"I've noticed you aren't quite dressing according to your rank," Kumi said once she was lowering her cup.

Bowing again, Wen said, "This low concubine has offended this palace's madam. Would Pollen Lady Kumi please be so kind as to instruct me? Please remind me of the rule I've broken so I may correct my behavior."

Kumi smiled a little. There was a red oval in the center of her lips. Like painted dimples, paint on the lips also didn't count as symbols. "That's not the case, Little Seafoam. If there was a rule against dressing below one's rank then all the concubines would have to learn how to sleep with loud ornaments in their hair and heavy, formal clothing covering their bodies." She carefully dipped a spoon into her congee and gave a few dainty stirs, releasing some of the heat there. "However, I should warn you. If your face wasn't as white as fresh milk, then strangers might assume you were someone's maid. If you insist on dressing this way, then prepare yourself for misunderstandings."

"Thank you, Madam," Wen said as she used a pair of chopsticks to pick up a piece of tofu. "This Pollen's advice is wise."

"Today, wouldn't you like to socialize with your peers here?" Kumi asked. "We don't lack for activities. We have a variety of games, musical instruments, dances to practice or watch, and even small competitions. I suggest you find a friend soon."

After swallowing some tofu and radishes, Wen said, "If it wouldn't be troublesome, I'd like to explore what little space my feet can cover."

"You aren't confined to this palace," Kumi said. "As long as you don't trespass on another's palace, you may go anywhere within the Tree Cage's walls."

"Then after breakfast," Wen said, "I'll have my maids escort me as I walk."

"Keep your manners and represent the Sweet Carrot Palace well," Kumi said with her smooth, gentle voice.

After breakfast, Wen gave Kumi a polite goodbye and asked her maids if they needed some time to prepare themselves. She wanted a long walk.

Because she had a plan.

***

Author's Note: I put in so many characters on purpose but holy crap is it difficult to keep track of them all! If I contradict anything, then I apologize. Thank you so much for reading my story. I appreciate the attention.

***

12