The Ant Woman Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Wen interrupted the conversation with a nearly rigid tone. "Don't wash them."

Both the maids said, "Yes, Mistress," but they obviously didn't understand why Wen liked the boots so much. They even put their sleeves on their noses whenever they walked by them.

The next morning, Wen was writing again, when she happened to see the Emperor being carried in his sedan chair down a road. Assuming there was no way he'd make time to see her since he'd already seen her yesterday, Wen just continued with her work. Still, she gazed at the boots near the window with musing eyes.

Those shoes were something of the Emperor's, something she could always look at and remember him by. The favor he'd been giving her couldn't last long. Keeping a memento would do her mind well when those more lonely days would come.

And yet, to her delighted surprise, Min Ji knocked on her apartment's door, and the Emperor himself sauntered in. Wen and her maids knelt down to greet him.

His face scrunching up, holding his hand over his nose, the Emperor asked what in the world was making this place smell so horribly unclean. "Oh?" Wen said as she remained on the floor, knowing she hadn't been told to rise, "Is there an odor? Please forgive this concubine for not noticing."

That was when Lien plainly explained that the "unfortunately unclean" old pair of boots were being kept and, as she put it, "Mistress is in love with them. This servant wouldn't be surprised if she starts sleeping with them at her bedside."

"Lien," Wen said with less force that she would normally use, "those boots aren't unclean. They're my beloved imperial gifts."

"That's very well!" The Emperor's voice was impatient yet muffled, but his eyes were moving as if he wanted to smile. "Have the boots washed. Ask for help from the Hard Labor Department if you must, and don't worry about damaging them. I'll personally send out a decree pardoning any accidents." Then, still covering his nose, he said to Wen, "I'll have some more flowers sent here to help with the odor." His free hand waved at up at her. "Get up and come with me. I want a walk in the garden here."

Wen had Lien follow her as she went with the Emperor. Again, there were the jealous looks from the other concubines, but at this point they were much easier to ignore. Wen was busy focusing on the odd flapping in her stomach as the Emperor walked with her.

"When I gave you the boots," he said to her, "I assumed you'd have them washed. How else could you make a sewing pattern from them?"

"Oh, Your Majesty," Wen said as she hid her grin with her sleeve, "This concubine doesn't intend to make a pair of shoes unless you command it."

His eyebrow rose as he asked, "Then why do you want them?"

"Because Your Majesty wore them. Truly," here, she happened to bend over a little to catch the scent of a flower, "Your Majesty has clearly worn them for a long time. In a way, all of your love was put in them. A consort should naturally give these shoes the highest deference."

The Emperor took in a brief inhale. Then, his fingers curling and straightening in nonsensical repetition, looking at a bush he likely didn't care for, he said, "Of course an Imperial Consort would say such a thing. Don't assume I can't recognize your techniques."

"If Your Majesty sees a false affection in this concubine," Wen said rather casually, "then please spread your favor to other women. Worthless heartache is distasteful."

He had to swallow a laugh and fake a cough. Wen reached over to rub his back as he bent over. Min Ji nervously asked if there was anything he could do, but the Emperor shook his blushing head. He caught his breath and straightened up, his eyes whimsical as they went to Wen's face. "You won't beg for my attention?"

"Could success be found in that?" One of Wen's hair ornaments chimed as her head curiously tilted. "No doubt, His Majesty has heard countless pleas. I'm not clever enough to think of something His Majesty hasn't heard before."

He waved his fingers a little and grinned. It was the most honest expression she'd seen on him since they'd gone into the garden. "By the by, how far along are you with your newest book?"

"When summer begins, I might be finished then."

"That's fine," the Emperor said.

It seemed that everything was fine.

***

12