The Ant Woman Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mother was so proud of her. "Ah, I'm a grandmother now, and my grandchild will be royalty! The gods have been kind to me."

Carefully stroking her belly, Wen said, "Knowing I've served my family well removes weight from my body. My gait will feel much lighter from now on."

It as then that Mother gave Wen some good news. Father's concubine was pregnant. Wen's little sibling might be born around the same time as her own child. The fact that they couldn't be playmates was unfortunate, but everyone was pleased overall. Even Wen was a little pleased. Father might have a son. He might have someone to properly care for him when he grows old.

Yet ... Wen held her mother's shoulder for a moment and asked, "Are you well? Have you ever felt neglected?"

Looking away, Mother said, "Oh, Dear Child. Certainly your Father's spent more time with that other woman than me. That's the way of the world." Then she looked back at Wen's eyes. A little twitch popped in her cheek. "I still lack for nothing. My residence is warm. My body is clothed. My food is nutritious and filling."

Wen sighed and told Lien to approach with a tray of silver that she'd prepared beforehand. Mother put a hand over her bosom, and she tried to refuse the gift, but Wen insisted. "I've been hoarding most of my money. It would be no trouble for me to send a little silver to you each month. It's my duty, isn't it?"

The rest of the visit was peaceful and fun. They played music and sang songs. They played card games and board games. They taste tested some sweets Yuwei had been experimenting with. Wen even spent time showing off all her pretty clothes and jewelry that she'd been granted. Lunch was taken after that. Sadly, the visit had to end, and Wen sent her mother off at one of the Tree Cage's gates.

***

The paper screens formed a tidy square around Wen as she sat at a desk. The screen behind Wen was a little more narrow, forming a gap that a person could slip through. Lien was near her, grinding ink. Yuwei soon placed a little tray of dry snacks on the desk, a bit to Wen's right. The snacks had been asked for by the Emperor himself.

Wen was totally not listening to the important conversations the Emperor was having with the officials. She wasn't writing down notes about what she, a stupid little woman, thought of their problems. Oh no. She was only waiting for the Emperor to seek her out for comfort and passing the time by planning out another book to write.

Technically, Wen wasn't breaking any rules. Nobody could tel her not to do what she was doing. She was obeying her husband. Even more, she was obeying the Emperor. One couldn't normally disobey the Emperor, at least not casually.

When all was finished, the Emperor told the servants to carry the paper screens away. Wen's maid's were fanning the pages of ink dry. The Emperor got up from his tall chair and stretched his arms a little, even popping some of the bones in his back. Then he walked over to Wen and took her dominant hand in his. Such a wonderful peace was in his face, like a surface of water that had finally turned still again after quite a bit of splashing.

He didn't seem agitated at all.

Off to a little dining room for lunch. That's where they went. Hot noodles in pheasant based broth. Chopped vegetables and beef in a tangy sauce. Steamed rice mixed with whole beans and tofu cubes. It was a healthy, hopeful meal. They were happy to have it.

There was a moment, though, when Wen suddenly asked the Emperor, "If someone dared to contradict Your Majesty, if someone dared to say that by obeying my husband I was breaking the law, what would be done?"

Picking up a cup of light tea, the Emperor shrugged and told her, "Fear not, Little Bamboo. Who would dare to go against me? Is this not my empire?"

***

12