The Ant Woman Ch. 18

Story Info
A new concubine.
4k words
4.73
3.6k
4

Part 18 of the 19 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 07/09/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Certainly you won't mind, Dear Wood Consort, if I play with your maid for some moments?"

Empress Consort Miseo was in a playful mood this late morning. Wen couldn't help but smile. "I'll miss her once you take her away," Wen said from her seat in the reception room, "but I can rest well knowing she'll be cared for." She gestured towards Yuwei.

Faintly smiling, but her eyes respectfully low, Yuwei walked off to where Miseo wanted her to be. Then, as music went along, Miseo "played" by showing her a few charming moves. Yuwei was a pampered little maid. She learned how to read and write from her Madam, and the Empress Consort was teaching her how to dance. To make sure Lien didn't feel left out, Wen had asked her if she too wanted to learn, but Lien politely refused.

"If all your servants played this way, you'd be left to fend for yourself," Lien had said.

"I'll be certain to give you a bigger dowry than Yuwei's," Wen had promised, "to be certain that you aren't treated unfairly."

Lien had shrugged and went off to help a maid dust a large vase.

Wen was thinking about that conversation when a servant suddenly announced that the Emperor was at the entrance. Empress Miseo giggled as she patted Yuwei's shoulder. "Go find your colleague so you may better serve your Madam." With silent laughter in her cyan eyes, Yuwei bounced on out of view.

The Emperor came soon and everyone greeted him happily. He stayed for a time to play with his children and then have lunch. Savory wheat porridge. Fried fish and vegetables. Some noodle soup with halved boiled eggs. And very refreshing tea, as usual.

At one point, the Emperor said he wanted a refill, and Yuwei was the one to approach and take the teapot. Even Wen noticed how shiny her bare fingernails were. As the maid poured the tea, one of her sleeves was drawn up a little, and the white underside of her wrist was revealed. Wen then thought to herself that a precious bracelet might be given as part of Yuwei's dowry.

"Oh!" The Emperor peered at the maid's face with a calm but genial expression. "Wen, this maid of yours was once so thin it seemed heartless, but you've cared for her so well. Her face is as lovely as a flower bud."

Miseo smiled at that statement. "His Majesty is very correct. Wen was a kind mistress and now she's a kind madam."

Turning his head to smile at Wen, one of his small hat's ornaments swinging strings of beads about, the Emperor said, "Kindness is a perfect quality for a mother."

"His Majesty is generous with his compliments," Wen said as she picked up her cup. "He must have a good humor today."

Suddenly, one of the princesses, Eunhe, she approached the dinner table. She'd normally eat in a separate room with her nanny. "Royal Father's had a good humor for weeks now!" She reached up towards the Emperor, holding up a small wooden toy shaped like a horse. "Royal Father? Would you please play with Masami and I?"

Empress Miseo sighed and tapped the little princess' ear. As the girl turned to look up at her mother, Miseo gave a little scolding. "It's very rude to interrupt one's meal this way."

"I'll forgive her," the Emperor said as he reached down to pick Eunhe up and put her in his lap. Of course, the little girl beamed and snuggled in response. "Now, Little Eunhe, would you like a taste of my fish? It's very healthy and delicious."

The Emperor was happy with his Imperial Harem. Wen knew it. He was looking forward to watching his children grow and having more.

And ... Wen greedily noted that he was happy with her too.

***

The snow was so quiet. It was the wind that was loud.

And yet, on this frigid morning, a messenger eunuch arrived at Wen's Ginger Steam Palace. Pitying the shivering man, Wen let him have a moment by a brazier and gave him a few swallows of hot tea. After thanking her, the eunuch said, "His Majesty has prepared a desk with screens for you. He wants you to be available to comfort him again."

For a moment, Wen was frozen with only her lungs and eyelids moving. Then she took her composure back and made a tiny smile. "I'm pleased to know I can keep the peace in His Majesty's heart. I'll prepare myself and be at his palace soon."

And she certainly was there soon. She was hidden in her square of screens, sitting at a desk and writing what were most certainly notes on fiction writing. Just before she'd been taken behind the screens, the Emperor had peered over to smile at her.

Lien was at the Ginger Steam Palace, keeping the place running well. Yuwei was catering to whatever need Wen had. She ground the ink. She served refreshing, clean treats. She even massaged Wen's wrist and fingers whenever all the writing pained her.

Later, once the Emperor's meetings were finished, he called Wen to walk with him in some of his palace's rooms, and then off to his personal, most secret of his libraries.

Rather playfully, he'd whispered that he had some interesting literature to share with her. Unfortunately, as the Emperor rolled out one scroll in particular, she found that she couldn't understand any of it.

"Did these texts come from foreign lands?" she asked as she stood beside him in the library. She noted there were some basic illustrations of centaurs and dwarves.

Reaching and pointing at some mysterious characters on the page, the Emperor said in part of a whisper, "They came from Breden and Duklok. Those two countries are almost weaved into one." Then, some moments later, the Emperor read his own translated versions of some of the literature out for her, although he did so with a very quiet voice, making sure only she could hear him.

They were ... bold!

And so many of these bold things had been written by women!

But what truly had Wen quivering under her clothes was the ... vulgar, deliciously vulgar sections that the Emperor whispered in her ear. He even held up some pages so she could see very explicit illustrations.

Once again, plenty of women were the authors and illustrators!!

Her whole body turned amazingly red, or that was how it felt. Shyly, she turned her head away as if she wanted to escape from this mad world, but she didn't try to leave. The Emperor's fingers would often slide up and down her waist as he translated for her, as if he enjoyed how intensely she shook.

There was a point where she didn't think she could endure any more, and she weakly said, "Isn't there a rule about the Imperial Harem needing to be fine examples of decorum? I don't believe we're allowed to indulge in this sort of material."

"Oh?" The Emperor's eyebrows rose, but otherwise he seemed uncaring. "I wonder if something could be done about that."

He surprised her with a kiss, right on her mouth.

A few days later, the most amazing news was being passed around.

The Emperor was commissioning several writers, male and female. What did he want them to do? He wanted them to travel around the empire and interview several married people, willing married people of course. As frightening and unusual as this was, the Emperor wanted a few "sexual education" books written ... complete with graphic descriptions and illustrations.

Such books weren't illegal, but they were meant to be read privately, and they were often considered to be low class. While a high class man would likely read sexually graphic material, he wouldn't admit to it. For the Emperor himself to not only acknowledge this sort of "literature," but also commission it, this was so amazingly new to everyone!

The Emperor spent a lot of time with his Royal Mother in her palace. Wen imagined he had to listen to her scream at him. How unbecoming for an Emperor to behave this way, to endorse this content, to be so crude?!

Wen hadn't visited the Plum Aroma Palace for a long time. The Empress Dowager still seemed to hate her. Wen knew she shouldn't go rile her up. As least that dear grandmother still wanted to have the little princes brought to her palace for visits.

Empress Consort Miseo and the concubines all gossiped about the situation with no restraint. It couldn't be helped. Miseo once dared to say, "We should be grateful that His Majesty hasn't sought out interviews from the pitiful Rabbit Companions." A Rabbit Companion was a very gentle, polite way of saying prostitute.

"No," one concubine had said to the Empress, "what would've truly been scandalous is a set of interviews from us."

At that statement, everyone within earshot laughed. Wen almost teared up from the thought. An Emperor breaking one of the most sacred laws? Sharing his private sexual details with his women to the world? How mortifying and ridiculous!

***

Min Ji's nose was pink. His cheeks were frigid. Snow was dusting the fur-lined hood on his head. He'd just returned from the Older Embroidery Department, where he'd checked in on some clothing repairs for His Majesty.

As he tried to hustle away, he accidentally bumped into someone. It turned out to be one of Wood Consort Wen's favored maids, Miss Guo Yuwei. The poor, shivering little thing was holding onto a package of oiled and dried linen. Since she'd likely come from the Younger Embroidery Department, Min Ji assumed there was fabric inside. Since the package wasn't made of wood, but cheap linen instead, he also assumed the fabric might not be for Wood Consort Wen.

"Miss Guo," Min Ji said with a concerned voice, "I never meant to harm you. Are you well?"

Miss Guo's eyes were oddly wild and she stuttered. "I ... I'm fine, very much unharmed."

"Is everything alright? Why are you so jittery?"

For some seconds, Miss Guo looked away and nervously rubbed her lips together a few times. Then, clutching her package to her bosom, her gloved hands clawing into the linen, she suddenly said, "Please, oh please don't tell my Madam!"

Understandable concern rolling around in his belly, Min Ji pulled on Miss Guo's cloak to lead her away to a more private corner of walls, and he quietly asked her what the problem was.

"Oh, Eunuch Min," the maid said, "I've been saving portions of my salary to buy silks and metallic threads from the Younger Embroidery Department. I want to make a new outfit for my Madam." She smiled here. "Wood Consort Wen has been very kind to all of us in the Ginger Steam Palace."

Min Ji promised he wouldn't tell Wood Consort Wen, but he honestly wanted to giggle.

Later that day, he tended to the Emperor, who was reading in his office. As he poured a cup of spiced tea for His Majesty, Min Ji happened to mention the encounter he had with Miss Guo. The Emperor laid down the document he had to look at him with a lightly surprised expression. Then, a smile bloomed on his face, and he said, "Such a pure hearted young woman. Discreetly send her a palm's worth of silver on my behalf."

***

At the Moonlight Pearl Palace, three women played with dancing. The Empress Consort, Wood Consort Wen, and Wen's little maid Guo Yuwei. It was harmless fun, really. Yuwei was supposed to be in a serving position, but both her Madam and the Empress had no issues with playing with her. She was an elf too, after all, and she was pleasant to deal with.

It was on this musical morning that the Emperor arrived, but he told them all to continue with their fun. The women laughed with the music and danced, even with Yuwei.

The pampered Yuwei ...

Her pale hair shimmering in the wintry sunlight.

Her aqua eyes overflowing with mirth.

Her feet very graceful for a common maid.

It was on this morning that an odd, concerned feeling pricked Wen's mind and her smile faltered for only a second.

The Emperor seemed to mostly be watching Yuwei.

Later, it was time to serve sweets. Yuwei had helped Miseo's staff prepare them. She received quite a bit of praise from everyone. Miseo in particular fawned over her, saying things such as, "She's so talented. She's so darling. Isn't she a beautiful woman? Your Majesty, what sort of man would be lucky enough to marry her? It shouldn't be difficult to find a man of significant means. We should do our best to help her when she leaves the Tree Cage."

A soft sort of blush grew on the Emperor's high cheeks, and then he looked away as if he was embarrassed about something.

Wen ... didn't know what to think, didn't know what she should've thought, didn't even know what she had the right to think.

But ... whatever she thought wasn't of any importance.

A few days later, a set of eunuchs arrived at the Ginger Steam Palace. They made an announcement.

Guo Yuwei had been chosen by the Emperor to be a Seafoam Attendant. After she'd been taught all the proper etiquette, and all the arrangements had been made, Yuwei would be sent to live in the Moonbeam Palace, under the guidance of Pollen Lady Hayun.

***

"I'm so eternally grateful, Your Majesty. I'm amazed at all of your kindness."

Seafoam Attendant Yanlin, formerly Yuwei, she was kneeling before Miseo in the Moonlight Pearl Palace's reception room. She was so remarkably beautiful.

She had a lovely dark blue gown with a pattern of falling snow. Her richly brown blouse had fitted sleeves with orange, geometric patterns on the cuffs. Her large shawl was black and simple. Her fragrant, pale hair was up in two buns, one on each side of her head. Each bun had a polished hairstick of copper with tiny pearls.

Miseo was happy to sit and admire this sparkling little woman. Her hand rose a little as she said, "Up, Little Seafoam. There's no need to stay on the floor."

Regardless, Yanlin breathlessly said, "If you hadn't suggested it to the Emperor, he might not have taken me as his concubine. As blessed as working as Wood Consort Wen's maid was, this is still a high honor."

"How could I not suggest it to His Majesty?" Miseo said as she waved Yanlin closer.

The younger woman smelled so wonderful. It made Miseo sigh.

"When I become pregnant," Yanlin said with a quieter tone, leaning in a bit, "I'll personally thank you again, as one would thank the gods."

Under her fine clothing, Miseo's thigh pressed together. Then, after another little exhale, she got up in the most elegant way she could manage, and she said, "Come, Dear Seafoam. I'd like to show you some beautiful rugs I'm considering auctioning off."

As obedient as she needed to be, Yanlin, the newest and possibly most beautiful concubine of the Emperor, she followed the Empress Consort off to a private, dark room. Considering the supposed point was to look at rugs, the darkness was rather strange.

They remained in that room for half an hour or so. When they returned, they were in very high spirits.

***

Wen had one of her maids promoted. Her name was Maki Chinatsu. She wasn't really much in terms of beauty. Completely average. Dull brown hair, similarly brown eyes. Not very tall nor short. Not very thin nor plump. Totally unremarkable. Lien was the one to recommend her. She was similar to Lien, always willing to work the hardest and incredibly loyal. So, thanks to Wen's promotion, Chinatsu worked directly under Lien.

A small dinner party of sorts was being prepared in Empress Miseo's palace.

Pollen Lady Hayun, obviously pregnant but very happy, entered with her new charge, Seafoam Attendant Yanlin. Wood Consort Wen was the other guest, wearing a pretty set of hairsticks that had been given to her by the Emperor himself.

Empress Miseo offered these people a spread of fine foods. A large, roasted duck, ready to be carved by one of the Empress' eunuchs in a nearly ritualistic manner. Chunks of tofu and chopped vegetables in an oily, spicy sauce. Soft dumplings made of rice flour and chopped bits of healthy fungus in a thin yet savory broth. And the highly desired swiftlet nest soup. The planned desserts were no less impressive. Strands of fried batter held together with syrup and cut into neat squares. Dense, round pastries with chewy crusts and medallion imprints, filled with a luxurious amount of lotus seed paste. Spun sugar floss. And small, deep fried pancakes with a heavy pumpkin flavor.

Some maids played music while the women chatted and ate. They drank tea and small amounts of wine. They discussed all sorts of things. Wen was in the process of writing a new book, it turned out. The Emperor had asked her to write it. Something complex with multiple characters and nations involved. Hayun's pregnancy was progressing well. Physicians have announced that she was in excellent condition, and the child was an energetic little kicker. Empress Miseo had to discipline one of the little princesses under her care recently. Yanlin had recently taught Hayun's maids how to make certain dainty sweets. All the concubines in Moonbeam Palace were thrilled.

By the time the desserts had been taken, there was a surprise visit from the Emperor. There were some leftovers, and Empress Miseo offered them to him, but he gently refused them. He'd already had his dinner, but now that he was here he didn't mind having some desserts.

There was more laughing, more pleasant conversation.

But then something happened, something obvious and blatant.

Something unexpected.

Before the eyes of the rest of the women, Yanlin held up a little pumpkin pancake near the Emperor's face and said, "Try this, Your Majesty! It's so lovely!" Then, she actually seemed to ... aim right for his mouth. She actually held the sweet right at his lips.

To the Emperor's credit, he did turn his head and clear his throat, blushing and muttering something about how it wasn't something he'd normally do.

But later on, when the Emperor finally rose to leave, Wen noticed that Yanlin had saved a little lotus seed paste pastry. As the Emperor walked out the door, Yanlin hurried over to him, and she playfully leaned into his body, holding the pastry up to his face.

Deciding she didn't want to see such a thing, Wen stepped away and looked at a sculpture.

***

Pollen Lady Hayun visited Wen's Ginger Steam Palace the next morning. They shared tea and mild, plain snacks.

Running her palm over her belly, sadly gazing out a window, Hayun said, "I must apologize for Yanlin's behavior yesterday."

Slowly shaking her head, not meeting Hayun's pretty golden eyes, Wen said, "She's young and refreshing. And aren't we meant to seduce the Emperor?"

"Yes, but Yanlin was clearly boasting about her new position. We can't have any haughty women in the harem." Hayun sighed and took a cup up in her hand. "The Empress Consort is too kind. She said nothing about the matter. She might not have wanted to embarrass the girl."

"It seemed to me that Her Majesty didn't care," Wen said. That would make sense. Miseo never seemed to be a jealous person.

"Perhaps that was so," Hayun said after her sip of tea, "but I've punished Yanlin regardless. She's copying a book of aphorisms as we speak."

Picking up a little biscuit, Wen said, "Don't be too harsh with her. Her new position is exciting to her. Instead of serving she's being served, and the Emperor has summoned her to his palace several times. She'll be pregnant soon."

"I mean no disrespect, Madam Wood," Hayun said as her cup's lid made a light clicking noise, "but this is a troubling situation. If she continues to behave this way, who knows what will happen."

Wen tried not to shrug.

Yanlin was flirtatious and fun, beautiful and talented.

Yanlin had recently made a lovely framed sample of embroidery for the Empress Dowager to have. Wen had heard the Dowager accepted the gift well, although she'd also heard the Dowager didn't seem to have any affection for Yanlin.

This new little Seafoam had also been sending presents to Empress Miseo. Treats, embroidery, little trinkets, plenty of charming little things. Empress Miseo seemed to believe Yanlin was her new favorite person. She'd summoned Yanlin to her palace very often.

12