The Arctic Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Do not lay another finger on her!" he warned Arvid, then turned and walked away, Eira close in tow. It was instantly warmer on the other side of the tent door.

"I suggest you get some shut eye while you have the opportunity." Eira climbed between the animal pelts and sank into the warmth of the fur. Ash climbed in behind her and for a moment she held her breath as she waited for his next move.

Nicholas was the first and only man she had ever slept beside and to have a stranger at her back, with his breath tickling her neck while snaking an arm around her waist. His grip was tight as he wound the rope around his fist several times.

"Its just for the warmth. Your virtue is safe with me." But even after his breaths began to even and slow, she found herself unable to fall back asleep. Her ears strained as she tried to listen to whatever was happening outside the tent. She felt a responsibility towards the girl, if anything happened to her, she'd never be able to forgive herself.

~~~~

Astrid pressed her face against the cold snow to help with the swelling. It wasn't the worst she had ever received, she remained still as she listened to Arvid gorge himself on the hare. She had invoked his anger on purpose, while he had been slapping her, she'd managed to free him of one of his small knives. They were underestimating her, as many wolves did. She got her small frame from her mother, which led many to believe she was younger than she actually was. Which meant they thought she wasn't as trained or experienced as they were. But her Father had began training her since she could walk. Building muscle and skills and speed. She was one of the most skilled swordsmen of her generation. The physical attack had been painful, but Astrid had survived, a cold calmness spreading through her; he would die first.

~~~~~~~

A shrill howl erupted through the camp and Eira shot straight up, eyes darting around, searching for a threat. Ash was up as well, every fiber in his being on high alert as he lifted his perked his ear toward the opening of the tent. Seconds later he was cursing as he was throwing his boots on and running across the grounds, pulling Eira behind him. She managed to keep up, her heart racing as she prayed Astrid was safe. The scene they came upon was ghastly, multiple decapitated bodies were strewn around the fire and Astrid stood, covered in blood, sword in one hand, axe in the other. Beside her feet was the body of Arvid, and two others, all three of them hacked at before finally being decapitated. She finally locked eyes with Ash and a growl came free as she snarled at him in challenge. He raised his hands and the approaching wolves backed up, giving them a wide berth.

He shoved Eira aside and she watched in horror as they began to circle each other, weapons drawn and she feared for the worst. Astrid was fast, like she had been earlier but Ash had prepared for it and he hit her with the hilt of his sword, causing spots to dance before her vision as she tried to shake the sensation free and faced him again. He swung low, arm outstretched as his feet parried by leaping to the side as she blocked the blade and swung it away. She moved fast and gracefully, almost mesmerizing as they exchanged blows. Eira had seen many sword fights in her life, but she never seen anyone move as Astrid did. What Ash lacked in speed and agility, he made up for with his brute strength. Each blow was like a heavy hammer of the Gods smashing down upon her. And Eira could see it was taking its toll.

He was tiring her out, making her dodge and block his blows was draining her energy. After the fight she'd been in earlier it was any wonder she had any strength left at all. Eira felt her muscles tense as anger boiled in her veins; she was angry at Nicholas, she was angry at her father but most of all she was angry at herself. She was sick and tired of feeling helpless and weak. Her heart began to race as she searched the men's faces, all watching intently on the dual before them.

"Are you more upset that I killed your men because I am an Elf? Or because I am supposed to be your prisoner?" Astrid taunted, her hair stained dark from the blood of her victims.

"I will admit I am impressed with your skills, but they will not be enough to save you!" He swung his sword up, knocking hers straight from her hand. Her other hand raised her axe and he grabbed her wrist, hitting her with the hilt of his sword, letting go as soon as she collapsed to the ground. Her face was bleeding and Eira could already see her cheekbone starting to swell.

Eira rushed forward, blocking the path between Ash and Astrid. When she attempted to stop him he simply grabbed her by the wrist and used it to jerk her to the ground beside him.

"Stay out of the way if you know what's good for you!" he growled, the edge of his sword hovering mere inches above her neck. Eira's hands began to tingle as she realized Astrid was about to die and there wasn't a damn thing she could do about it. Her hand reached to the thin piece of metal around her neck. She did have power, she just wasn't able to access it. Unsure what else to do, Eira closed her eyes, picturing her magic in her mind. Drawing it up from deep within herself, gathering the energy like long tendrils of a plant.

"Any last words, little Elf?"

"Go fuck yourself," she spat. He raised his sword and as he brought it down, Eira's hand shot out, and she let out a terrible scream. A ray of raw light shot from her hand, the blinding white light forcing Astrid to cover her eyes. When vision finally returned all that remained was a pile of burning embers and ash. Eira's eyes rolled into the back of her head as blood leaked from her eyes, nose, ears and mouth. She collapsed in the snow, sliding into a comforting world of darkness; leaving Astrid wondering what the hell had just happened.

12