The Assignment Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JazCullen
JazCullen
6,496 Followers

"Fuck, I shouldn't have done that, Mara," he finally said, looking away from her. "You were just so terror stricken it was the only way I could think of to get through to you."

Mara blinked slowly and moved away from the wall putting even more distance between them. Demetri seemed to be just as shaken as she was by their reaction to their kisses. He actually looked almost human for a moment and not the cold bloodied killer he was.

"The spade is for digging up the skull, Mara," he said looking back at her and trapping her gaze with his piercing eyes. "I thought you would have worked out by now that I have no intention of killing you. If I wanted you dead, I would have left you last night."

She stared at him with suspicious eyes, and then she very slowly started to relax. Could she trust him? He had been truthful with her so far. Was that deliberate? Tell her the truth all the time, and then lie at the crucial moment so she would trust him and walk calmly to her death? She didn't know what to believe anymore she just knew she didn't want to die at his hands.

"I can't force you to believe me," Demetri sighed softly seeing her disbelief written plainly across her face, "but I'm telling you the truth, Mara. I am not going to kill you."

He waited for her to decide whether or not she was going to take a chance and believe he was sincere. Eventually, she nodded at him and thrust her hands into her leather jacket pockets.

"So, you want me to take you to the location of the skull?" she asked quietly, watching as he bent and retrieved the spade from the ground.

"Lead the way," he answered, handing her a flashlight just in case the woods became too dense, and she needed some extra light. He shouldered his rucksack and followed her into the trees.

Demetri frowned, as he walked behind her. He could understand why she freaked out at the sight of the spade. He had purchased it when he had started this hunt for the intended purpose she had assumed. Disposal of her remains had been a high probability at the start of this assignment, and he had come prepared for every eventuality.

Feeling remorse for his actions was not something he was used to experiencing, but he had felt remorse when he had stared into her stricken face when she had thought he was intending to kill her and bury her body. He put his unexpected emotions down to being in a certain little redhead's company too much. Maybe he should just face the facts. He was becoming weak and starting to care about humans way too much.

Mara led him further into the woods, finally stopping after a brisk half hour walk. "Over there," she said, pointing to what appeared to be an innocuous spot beside a large oak tree. He set down his rucksack and began to dig where she pointed to.

It didn't take him too long to unearth the skull. He turned it slowly around in his hands and wondered briefly who the vampire had been. Obviously someone stupid enough to lose their head, most probably a youngling who didn't have anyone to guide them through the first hundred years of life. The mortality rate for younglings was quite high. Unless mentored by a more experienced vampire, they tended to get into fights among themselves and invariably ended up dead.

Demetri stuck the skull in his rucksack and turned back the way they had come. Mara followed silently behind him. It didn't take as long to get back to the Jeep, because he set a faster pace now he knew the route. Mara was slightly breathless by the time they reached the Jeep, but she hadn't complained at his faster pace, and he was glad for it.

He had been silent the entire time, racking his brain for what to do next. He had made his decision by the time he reached the Jeep. Stashing the spade, flashlight, and rucksack in the back of the Jeep, he held open the passenger door for Mara.

She hesitated only briefly before she climbed in, and he walked around to the other side. He would have to call the Council and update them. He was sure they wouldn't be very happy with him, but he was ancient enough to withstand any possible flack from them.

Mara watched Demetri covertly through the cover of her long hair. His face was expressionless, though sometimes she thought she saw a flicker of emotion in his eyes. His deep, brooding silence was unsettling, but then everything about the vampire was unsettling. She had no idea where they were going or what he was intending to do with her. All she knew was he said he wasn't going to kill her and so far he hadn't.

They were on the road for almost fifteen minutes before Mara got up the courage to ask him where they were going.

"Home," Demetri said, quietly, and he heard her breath catch and saw a flare of joy in her deep brown eyes and his breath hissed out angrily. "My home, Mara, not yours."

The startled cry which ripped through her infuriated Demetri. He swore loudly and stamped on the breaks hard, bringing the Jeep to a shuddering, violent halt. He unbuckled his seatbelt and loomed over her, his fingers digging hard into her chin, as he brought his face inches from hers.

"Are you in such a hurry to die, Mara?" he asked coldly, his eyes flashing dangerously. "I said I would not kill you. I didn't say others of my kind would be so lenient. If I take you home, another will come for you, and you'll be dead before you know it. The only way I can keep you alive is to take you under my protection. Believe me, it's the very last thing I want to do, but you're out of options now. It's either me or death. Make your choice."

He watched the horror cross her face and pushed himself back into his seat. He re-buckled his seatbelt and restarted the Jeep, as she began to weep quietly.

"What's it to be, Mara? Do I turn around or keep going?" he asked tersely. She wanted a choice in her destiny, so now she had it. He would abide by whatever decision she made.

A long moment passed, and they just sat there silently. "Keep going," Mara finally said, and Demetri's hands clenched hard around the steering wheel before he put the Jeep in gear and headed off again.

Mara slept for most of the journey home. Demetri had considered stopping by her place and picking up her belongings, but decided against it, just in case anyone was lurking around. He wouldn't put it passed the Council to send someone else when he failed to call and update them when they expected him to.

They would have expected him to have updated them by now, even if it was just a quick call to say the assignment was still underway. He couldn't risk Jorge or Philippe being the one to answer his call, as they were the two who would spot his deception, so he opted not to call the Council until he was safely back in his own territory.

He glanced at the sleeping woman and shook his head. How the fuck had he managed to get himself stuck with her, and what was he going to do with her now that he had? He toyed with his various options. He could bed her he supposed. They did have a strong sexual chemistry, which was pretty obvious from the kisses in the woods. But, he didn't want to be tied down to her in a sexual way. He preferred his usual lifestyle of a different woman every night. He liked variety, and he wasn't going to apologise to anyone for his lifestyle.

So if he didn't bed her, what was he going to do with her? She had a business degree. Maybe, he could slot her into one of the companies or the nightclub? If she was utilising her skills, she'd be less whiny to have around the house. That option was a bit more palatable to him.

She would have to stay at his house there was no getting away from that fact. He could set her up in the west wing, so she was as far away from him as possible. She wasn't exactly thrilled with having to be with him, so there was a good chance she'd stick to her wing of the house so it could work out okay.

He felt a bit better having some plan of action in place. He relaxed when he hit the city limits and was back in his own territory. Mara was starting to stir, and he suddenly didn't want to have to deal with her being all emotional, which she surely would be when she woke up. Weeping women were not his speciality and the last twenty four hours being confined with her was more than enough for him right now.

Fuck it! Caleb could rearrange his face all he wanted to. Mara needed the comfort of a woman, preferably a human woman, and the only one he knew who would be up to the task was Rhianna. He turned off the main road and headed through the forest to Caleb's mansion.

Mara opened her eyes when the Jeep finally stopped. Her brain had quite literally shut down when she realised she had to stay with Demetri or die. She didn't know which option was worse. Actually, she did otherwise she would have told him to take her home. She wanted to live, and this seemed to be the only option open to her.

Demetri was opening the car door for her, and she climbed out numbly and looked at the large white mansion before her. This was her new home? It looked enormous and very imposing, and she wanted to cry again. She didn't want to be here.

She followed Demetri silently up to the front door and waited, as he opened it and stepped back for her to enter first. The grandness of the entranceway stunned her. It was truly beautiful with it's high ceiling and glittering chandelier and white marble floor. She waited to see where she was supposed to go and was surprised at seeing Demetri hover uncertainly in the hall.

A noise made her look up, and she saw a beautiful golden brown haired man standing at the top of the staircase in front of them with a dark scowl on his face.

"You are fucking kidding me, Demetri," Caleb hissed through clenched teeth, as he walked slowly down the stairs, his amber gaze flicking quickly over the shell shocked woman at his friend's side before he turned to glare ferociously at him. "You're bringing your fucking assignment into my home? After what I said to you?" His fury was clear to hear.

"Peace, Caleb," Demetri answered, quietly. "I took your advice. I went for the protection option, and now I'm literally stuck with what to do with her."

Caleb had reached the couple and his fist shot out and connected squarely with Demetri's jaw. He would have punched him again, but the woman beside him screamed loudly and started to cry, and he immediately felt bad for having scared her. He had noted how fragile she appeared to be when he'd walked down the stairs. He should have held his temper until he was alone with Demetri.

"Forgive me," he said, softly to the weeping woman. "I did not mean to frighten you." He turned his gaze back to Demetri, and he scowled darkly. "What the fuck have you done to her, Demetri?"

"My job," his friend answered, rubbing his jaw. "Jesus, did you have to hit me so hard? That fucking hurt, Caleb."

"Not as much as I will hurt you, if you don't get the fuck out of here before Annie comes home," Caleb retorted turning away from him in disgust and heading into the kitchen.

Demetri followed him pulling Mara behind him by her arm. He settled her at the dining table and turned back to Caleb.

"I need help here, Caleb," he sighed wearily. "You can see the state Mara's in. I'm not equipped to deal with her. She needs a woman's touch."

Caleb's rage escalated again, as he stared at his friend as if he were mad. "Tell me you didn't just imply that you brought your mess into my home for my woman to clean up for you?" His voice was quiet and deadly, as he pinned Demetri with his hard gaze.

"You know how soothing Annie is," Demetri answered. "Everyone she comes in contact with falls in love with her. She's just what Mara needs right now, Caleb."

Caleb took three steps towards his friend and then halted when he saw the brunette tense at the table, her big brown eyes wide with shock, as she watched them argue. He wouldn't hit Demetri again, not in front of the girl. She looked like she'd been through too much already.

"This is your mess, Demetri. You clean it up," he said quietly. "I don't want Annie to know anything about this."

"You don't want Annie to know anything about what?" a voice said in the doorway and every head turned to look at the tiny little redhead, as she walked into the kitchen.

Mara blinked at the other woman and was surprised to see she was human. It was obvious Caleb was a vampire. From what she had gathered from Demetri's argument with Caleb, Annie was Caleb's partner. She had just assumed Annie would be a vampire, too.

The redhead was looking expectantly at the two vampires, and Mara's gaze followed hers and she got her second surprise. Both men were looking exceedingly sheepishly at the other woman. Caleb appeared to be slightly anguished looking, and Demetri was downright embarrassed. Their expressions almost made her laugh.

"I'm waiting," Rhianna said, exasperatedly. Her gaze flicked from Caleb to Demetri and then over to the table to the strange woman sitting there with a tear streaked face.

"Annie," Caleb groaned caught between the urge to gather her up into his arms and beat Demetri senseless for putting him this position.

"Hey, Red," Demetri smiled sheepishly. "Don't give Caleb a hard time. This is nothing to do with him. It's all my fault."

She snorted at him and her lips twitched in a little smile. "Why am I not surprised to hear that, Demetri?" she asked archly. "Are you going to introduce me to your friend? I'm assuming she's here with you?"

Demetri looked at Caleb, and then gave a resigned sigh. "Mara Fitzgerald, meet Rhianna Armand and Caleb Cullen."

The brunette simply stared silently at the other couple a look of apprehension on her face, as if she didn't know what was going to happen next.

Rhianna frowned slightly, as she looked at Mara and then turned to face the men. "I take it Mara is the reason you two have been fighting?"

"No," Caleb said at the same time Demetri said, "Yes."

Rhianna's frown deepened and she turned back to the brunette and sat down beside her at the table. "Why don't you tell me what's going on here, Mara," she said, gently, giving her a comforting smile. Her smile froze slightly, as she saw the other woman's eyes flicker fearfully towards Demetri, before she dropped them to the table top.

"Never you mind Demetri," she said soothingly, patting the frightened woman's hand gently. "If he so much as opens his mouth, I'll kick his ass for him. Or, I'll get Caleb to do it for me. I'd probably break my foot it I tried to kick him."

She felt Mara tremble slightly, and then she looked up and stared at her with a slightly awed expression on her face. "Aren't you frightened of them?" she asked, timidly.

"Of those two?" Rhianna laughed lightly. "Caleb would die before he ever hurt me. Demetri would probably love it if I dropped off the end of the planet, but he knows it would hurt Caleb too much if anything ever happened to me, so I get granted a reprieve from him."

"That's crap, Red," Demetri growled angrily, incensed she would think he wished she wasn't around. Okay, so maybe he had given her a bit of hard time at first, but things were different now. "I've decided to grant you family status," he told her gruffly. "Seeing as you're going to be sticking around for a while."

His admission surprised Rhianna and stunned Caleb. Demetri had been fighting Rhianna's influence from the very moment she'd entered their lives. Something had clearly changed in his thought processes, since he'd taken on this assignment.

"As you can hear, they're not so scary once you get to know them," Rhianna smiled at Mara. "Tell me what's happened to you, Mara."

Mara swallowed hard and took a deep breath, deciding instinctively to trust the little redhead. "I accidentally stumbled onto the fact that vampires existed," she began hesitantly. "Something I did alerted them to me, and they sent a representative to find out what I knew and how much of danger I posed to them. Demetri tried to read my mind, but I seem to have some kind of natural ability to shield. He said the other vampires would kill me, unless I came back here and agreed to be under his protection."

Rhianna could tell there was lot more to Mara's tale. She wondered just what Demetri had done to the brunette, as he tried to get inside of the other woman's mind. She was clearly frightened of him. Rhianna knew just how cruel Demetri could be when he wanted to.

She turned her lavender gaze on the dark haired vampire. "Did you hurt her, Demetri?" she asked, quietly.

His green eyes slid form hers, and she knew the answer to her question even though he didn't voice it.

"Caleb, hit that ass for me," Rhianna said angrily and turned away from him, so she could clasp Mara's hand in hers. "He won't ever hurt you again, Mara. I promise you. Will you, Demetri?"

Demetri picked himself up off the floor and licked his split lip. Caleb really looked pleased at being allowed the opportunity to get another punch in. He shot a dark look at his friend before turning towards the two woman.

"I will never hurt you again, Mara," he promised.

Mara looked at Rhianna first, and then at Caleb, who gave her a reassuring smile, and finally at Demetri who was watching her intently, the cut on his lip already healing as he lick the blood away. His usually cold eyes seemed to have a bit of warmth in them, as he regarded her.

Her whole life had been turned upside down, and she had no idea what was to become of her now. Caleb and Annie seemed really nice, and Demetri was a completely different person around them. She sighed deeply and nodded her head at Demetri, silently accepting his promise. She felt slightly better than she had done since the start of this nightmare and allowed herself to relax a bit.

"You. Sit," Rhianna said sternly to Demetri pointing at the chair beside her before turning to Caleb with a wide smile for him. "How about some coffees, love, while we get to the bottom of this mess and work out what to do about it?"

Caleb's lips twitched in a little smile, and his amber eyes glowed with love, as he strode across the room to pick up his woman and kiss her long and hard. "You never cease to amaze me, my Annie," he whispered softly, as he planted another quick kiss on her luscious lips before setting her gently back into her chair and turning back to the coffee machine.

Rhianna met Demetri's cool green gaze, and she sighed deeply as she shook her head at him. "You really are the limit sometimes," she said quietly, her tone laced with disapproval. "I swear if I ever hear of you deliberately hurting a woman again, you'd better spend the rest of your life hiding in some remote place on the planet, because I'll task Caleb to make the rest of your days are a complete misery. Are we clear on this?"

"Fuck, Annie, you're a right pain in the ass," Demetri grumbled, but his lips twitched in a little smile, and he leaned over and kissed her quickly on her forehead before she could react. "I'm almost tempted to set you on the Council. They wouldn't know what had hit them, if I did that."

Lavender eyes regarding him intently, and then she asked, "What Council?"

To be continued...

JazCullen
JazCullen
6,496 Followers
12