The Assignment Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JazCullen
JazCullen
6,492 Followers

Rhianna sucked in a deep breath and tried to dampen down the instant rage she felt. She had guessed it was something bad, but hearing it made her want to slap Demetri so hard. Maybe even kick him in the nuts too, the fucking asshole.

"I suppose, in his defence, he didn't really mean for things to get so carried away," Mara sighed seeing the furious scowl on Rhianna's face. "He didn't mean to leave me so long. He accidentally fell asleep. The moment he realised how cold I was he wrapped me in blankets and put me in front of the fire. He made me drink some of his blood, so I would heal."

Rhianna sighed deeply and pursed her lips thoughtfully. Maybe she'd just slap him and leave his nuts alone. He had tried to redeem himself from the sounds of things.

"He wasn't mean to me after that happened," Mara told her. "He wasn't particularly nice, but he didn't hurt me again. I was in the room when he spoke to you on the phone. You have no idea how that phone call made me feel, Annie. He seemed to mellow when he was talking to you. He didn't seem as scary anymore. It really helped me a lot."

Rhianna smiled and crossed over to sit on the bed beside her. She put a comforting arm around the other woman. "In the kitchen, when Demetri said you had to go live with him, you looked so horrified, Mara. He didn't do anything to you?"

Mara stared at her in surprise. "Oh, you mean....no he didn't touch me. Well, he did kiss me in the woods, but he didn't force himself on me in anyway," she tried to explain. "It was hearing you are technically under Caleb's protection, and I'm now under Demetri's, I just assumed he'd be expecting me to have sex with him."

"I wouldn't put it passed him to make that assumption," Rhianna remarked drolly. "He certainly likes beautiful women, and you are stunning to look at. I'm sure he wouldn't force his intentions onto you though. If you came to him willingly, he would most probably indulge himself, but he wouldn't force it."

Mara relaxed noticeably and even snorted loudly. "It will be a cold in hell before I ever go to him willingly," she said so fiercely that Rhianna burst out laughing, pleased to see some spirit in her.

The poor woman may be a little shell shocked with everything that had happened to her, but she had a bit of fight in her and would probably give Demetri a right run for his money, once she got over the captor/captive complex she had.

"You don't find him attractive?" she asked, curiously. Demetri was bloody gorgeous, even she could see that. She was curious to find out what Mara thought on the subject.

Mara flushed scarlet, remembering the way she'd responded to him in the woods when he'd kissed her, the way liquid fire had rushed through her veins when he'd pressed his erection against her body. "The beauty only runs skin deep," she answered tartly, making the other woman laugh again.

"He's not so bad, Mara," Rhianna sighed. "Just struggling a little a moment. He's not used to dealing with emotions. He'll get there eventually. Caleb was a lot like him when we first met, and he turned out all right."

Mara gave her a really odd look, and she smiled sheepishly. "Sorry, am I coming on too strong?" she asked with a little laugh. "Caleb says I have a pathological need to fix people. Despite bitch slapping Demetri for half the night, I am really quite fond of the ass. I can't help wanting to fix him."

Mara burst out laughing. "Bitch slapping!" she laughed, "Oh fuck, I love it! I so enjoyed watching you hit him, Annie. I confess I wanted to bitch slap him myself!" She fell back on the bed laughing so hard she started crying, as she clutched her stomach as it began to hurt.

Rhianna smiled, relieved to see Mara could still find some humour in the situation. She would be so perfect for Demetri, just the right combination of fire and vulnerability.

Mara finally stopped laughing and scrubbed at her wet cheeks sitting back up and regarding Rhianna intently for a very long moment. "You're expecting something to happen between us, aren't you?" she asked, quietly.

"Something already is, Mara," her new friend answered with a knowing smile. "Demetri Bozic has just selflessly put his life on the line to keep you alive. It is probably the first selfless thing he's ever done in his very long life too. You may need him to keep you safe, Mara, but he needs you just as badly. He's not your captor anymore. What he is to you is what you allow him to be."

Mara stared at her thoughtfully, and then smiled sadly. "I wish I had it in me to be as forgiving as you are, Annie," she said, quietly.

"It'll come in time," Rhianna smiled. "Until then, let's liberate the stupid ass of some of his money. How much should we spend? Fifty thousand? A hundred thousand?"

Mara burst out laughing again at the wicked glint in the little redhead's eyes, as she brandished Demetri's credit card in the air. "You are such a fraud, Annie," she chuckled, loudly. "You had me convinced you were so sweet and innocent when really you're quite evil at times."

"When it's called for," Rhianna laughed.

___

Demetri sighed tiredly and ran a weary hand through his long black hair. He'd barely slept the night before after leaving Mara at Caleb's mansion. He'd had so much to get done in preparation for bringing her home, and then there was his other little task he'd had to perform too. There had just been so much to do in so little time.

It was late now the following night, and he knew he was running out of time to go and collect Mara. If he left it any later, she'd be as well spending another night under Caleb's roof. A frown instantly marred his beautiful face at the thought. He had told the Council she was under his protection, therefore her place was in his home not his friend's.

He was about to jump into his Jeep and head over to get her when Caleb's words came back to him. Sighing again, he pulled out his cell phone and hit the speed dial for Caleb.

"You're cutting it fine," Caleb said, drolly. "I thought for a moment you were going to leave Mara with us another night."

"I had things to do," Demetri sighed. "Is she there? Can I talk to her?"

A moment later, Mara came on the phone. "Demetri," she said, quite coolly, and he felt a little shiver of pleasure run down his spine at the sound of her voice.

"Mara," he replied keeping his tone carefully neutral. "I know it's quite late, but I was wondering if you would like me to come over and pick you up." He heard her sharp intake of breath.

"You're asking me?" she finally said, surprised.

"Yes, I am asking you," he sighed deeply. "If you wish to stay another night, that's fine with me, or I can come over and get you now. Whichever is most convenient for you." He didn't know he was actually holding his breath until he slowly let it out when she next spoke.

"I suppose there's no point putting off the inevitable," she answered, slowly, "You can come and get me, Demetri."

He terminated the call and jumped into the Jeep. He felt oddly anxious to see her again. It had been strange not having her around today and last night. He put it down to the fact he had been so focused on her over the last few days. He had spent a couple of days learning everything he could about her before he finally approached her, and he had subsequently spent the last twenty four hours preparing for her to move into his home. Like it or not, Mara Fitzgerald was now a part of his life permanently.

It didn't take him long to reach Caleb's mansion. They didn't stay that far apart. He practically bounded up the steps and into the house turning automatically towards the kitchen, when he heard voices there. His cool green gaze slid instantly to Mara as he entered, and he quirked an eyebrow in surprise.

She was laughing at something Rhianna had just said, and her beautiful face was practically radiant. Her brown eyes twinkled merrily and her lips were curved with obvious pleasure. For a brief moment, he forgot to breathe, and then her head turned and she saw him and the joy died out of her eyes to be replaced by wariness and distrust.

Demetri frowned darkly when her expression changed. He didn't like the way she was looking at him. It was really irritating him, and he opened his mouth to say so, and then closed it quickly when he heard Rhianna clear her throat delicately.

He turned to the little redhead and smiled slowly and put his hands up in mock surrender. "You going to slap me about tonight, Red? he asked cheekily and was rewarded by a warm smile.

"I think I can manage to contain myself," Rhianna laughed, as she stood up and crossed to give him an unexpected hug.

He froze dumbfounded for a second and then tentatively embraced her tiny body shooting Caleb a quick glance just to make sure he didn't have a problem with it. His friend merely smiled fondly at his woman and rolled his eyes.

Demetri looked down at the little redhead and smiled slowly. She was so tiny and affectionate and he felt a deep warmth spread through him as he bent impulsively and kissed the top of her head. "Maybe I should leave Mara here and take you home instead," he teased lightly, and she slapped him on the chest, as Caleb snorted irritably.

Rhianna stepped out of his embrace and laughed. "Didn't we have this conversation once before?" she asked impishly, and he threw back his head and laughed.

"Yeah, when you did your Martha Stewart impersonation at the club," he chuckled. "Put me right in my place that night and almost earned me a beating at Caleb's hands into the bargain. You've been nothing but trouble, since the very first moment you walked into my club, Red, but if I could turn back time and change things I'd let them play out just the way they did."

Rhianna practically beamed at him, her beautiful face awash with pleasure. "Oh, you old charmer you." she said, coquettishly, which brought a low rumble from Caleb who had decided enough was enough.

He stood up and all but snatched the little redhead into his arms and dumped her rather unceremoniously onto the nearest kitchen counter and proceeded to kiss her to within an inch of her life. He stepped back and smiled his satisfaction at the slightly glazed look in her eyes and her lips swollen from his kiss. "Mine," he said smugly, and his woman laughed softly.

"Neanderthal," she giggled, wrapping her arms around his waist and leaning her head on his chest.

Demetri smiled, as he watched them so obviously in love. What had once completely nauseated him now filled him with a little yearning. He sighed and turned his gaze back to Mara. She was still watching him, but her gaze didn't appear to be as unfriendly as it had been when he first arrived. He offered her a tentative smile.

"Are you ready, Mara?" he asked her gently, and she nodded before rising from the table.

He waited, while she quickly thanked Caleb and Rhianna for allowing her to stay and then followed him from the house. He opened the door for her to get in the car, and then climbed in himself.

"We don't stay far," he told her, quietly. "I have a few cars. You can choose whichever one you want. I'm sure Annie won't mind if you want to pop over and visit."

His consideration was unexpected, and Mara shot him a quick look before she stared out the side window. "Thanks," she muttered, grudgingly. The damned vampire was confusing her again. His interaction with his friends turned him into such a warm, caring person. She found it hard to reconcile that person with the man who had entered her home only two nights ago and quite literally destroyed the life she had been living quite happily.

True to his word, Demetri was pulling up outside a huge mansion type house in under ten minutes. Mara stared at the imposing building. It was just as large, as Caleb's only it wasn't painted. The outside was made up of dark bricks.

"Home," Demetri said, watching her face intently as her gaze roamed over the outside of the building. She didn't comment, so he climbed out the Jeep and walked around to get her door. She sat inside the car for another long moment, and then, she finally stepped out.

"You don't like it?" he asked with a slight frown.

Her big brown eyes snapped to his, and she blinked slowly. "Does it really matter one way or another if I don't?" she asked quietly, before she looked away from him.

Demetri's frown deepened, as he looked down at her bent head. She was right. It didn't really matter. It would have been nicer if she did like it, but ultimately she didn't have a choice in where she lived anymore. He stood regarding her for a few seconds longer, and then he turned and headed towards the house leaving her to trail behind him.

Mara sensed he wasn't happy with her response to his home. Good! She had no intention of doing or saying anything which would make him happy. Her time spent with Rhianna and Caleb had settled a lot of her fear. Now she just felt so incredibly angry. She might have to live in his house, but she wasn't going to pretend she was happy to be there just to assuage whatever little smidgeon of remorse he might be feeling.

The house was beautiful. It wasn't as light and airy as Caleb's, but it had it's own unique charm about it. It was very Victorian looking in style and décor with lots of red and gold hues. Mara hated that fact she actually liked the stupid house though she kept her expression carefully neutral.

Demetri stifled down a deep sigh, as her beautiful face set in a stubborn expression as he gave her a quick tour of the downstairs area. He had no idea if she liked the house or not, and she seemed intent on keeping him guessing. Living with Mara was not going to be easy.

He ended the tour in the kitchen. He supposed she would spend a lot of time in this room, because she would need to eat. Unlike Caleb, he suddenly wasn't about to turn into a gourmet chef on her behalf. If she wanted to eat, then she could damn well fix her own food.

"I stocked the refrigerator and got in some dry foods, too," he told quietly. "I didn't know what you like. You can throw out what you don't want and shop for new stuff."

She nodded, but didn't speak, and he felt his irritation start to escalate. He was really trying hard to think of her needs. She could at least show a little appreciation for all his efforts.

"Where am I to sleep?" she suddenly asked.

He couldn't help himself. His lips automatically curled into a cruel smile, and he opened up his mouth and then he stopped, already anticipating the slap Rhianna would most likely give him, if he said what he was about to say. His breath hissed out in irritation, and he turned from the kitchen.

"This way," he bit out curtly, turning to the wooden staircase and heading up to the first floor. He took the steps three at a time and had to wait for her to join him on the landing. He pointed to the door at the end of the short corridor to the left.

"That's the west wing of the house," he said a bit less harshly. "That's the connecting door. It locks and seals off from the rest of the house and has it's own entrance too. There are a few rooms to it. The only room it doesn't have is a kitchen. It's yours."

Mara looked at the door, and then looked at Demetri. His expression was guarded, his cool green eyes remote as he stared down at her. "Where do you sleep?" she asked suspiciously, not trusting him to leave her to have her own private space.

"The next floor up," he answered coolly. "I won't intrude on your private space, Mara, and I don't expect you to intrude on mine." He figured he may as well lay out the ground rules, so they both knew where they stood. She nodded her agreement and headed towards her rooms.

"I'll say goodnight then," she said, before she went through the door and locked it behind her.

Demetri stood on the landing, as she disappeared from his view. He was frowning and suddenly felt extremely weary. Having Mara here was going to take a lot of getting used to. He sighed deeply and headed up to his own rooms.

Mara checked out each room quickly. They were tastefully done in the same Victorian style as the rest of the house. There was a library and a sitting room and three bedrooms, each with adjoining bathrooms. In the largest of the bedrooms, there was a gift bag sitting on the middle of the sumptuous red and cream bedding.

She frowned, as she looked at it. Did the arrogant ass think he could buy her with gifts? She flew across the room to the bed, her pent up anger suddenly erupting, as she grabbed the gift bag ready to toss it across the room in fury. Something inside tinkled lightly, and she hesitated. With trembling hands she turned the bag over and emptied the contents onto the middle of the bed.

A sharp cry clawed it's way up from the very depths of her soul, as she looked down at the photographs of her parents and the shiny gold rings and other pieces of personal jewellery.

Slow tears began to roll down her face, as she picked up her treasured possessions and stared at them through her tears. Demetri had gone back for her things. The arrogant ass had actually done something nice for her. She lay down on the bed, confusion and anger warring inside her. She wanted to hate him so much, and he had to go and do something so bloody nice!

___

Caleb locked the front door after Demetri left, sliding the bolt home at the top, which was something he didn't normally do. Rhianna watched him with a quizzical expression on her face.

"Just in case he decides to come back for some reason," he smiled at her before he headed into the library and came back bearing a flat, white cardboard box in his hand. "I bought you a gift," he told her, holding the box out.

She took it slowly, looking at the very exclusive designer name on the top and her quizzical expression deepened, as she looked at him for some explanation.

His beautiful face was very serious, an unknown emotion lurking in his golden brown eyes. "Will you wear it for me, Rhianna?" he asked very formally. "I'll be waiting for you in the sitting room."

Rhianna opened her mouth to ask what was going on, but he silenced her by brushing his finger gently across her lips and turning to shoo her upstairs to change. Puzzled, she went in the direction he wanted her to go.

The box contained the most beautiful deep aubergine shift made of lace and satin. She pulled the lovely garment from the tissue paper it was laying on and held it up to look at it.

She smiled, as she looked at the delicate fabric. This was the first time Caleb had bought her any lingerie. She stripped quickly and slid the delicate material on, pausing to admire her reflection in the mirror. The satin hem came to just above her knees and the bodice was mostly satin with just enough lace to tease with a hint of nipples on display. Caleb must be exploring his romantic side tonight.

She skipped back downstairs and halted in the doorway of the sitting room, blinking in surprise when she saw the room lit by candles of all shapes and sizes dotted around the room. The fire was lit and burning brightly, and Caleb was kneeling on the thick brown rug before the fire staring into the flames. He had changed too and wore a black, silk robe.

His head swivelled round when she appeared, his golden brown hair flowing around his shoulders, and his amber eyes blazing as they slowly moved over her slender frame. Her breath caught in her throat at the heated look in his eyes, as they slowly travelled over her before moving back to her face. He smiled and held out his hand to her, and she walked slowly towards him.

Caleb watched Rhianna approach, and his heart soared as he took in her perfection. She was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen, and she belonged to him and no one else. He knew the beautiful garment would add to her perfection, and it did. She was truly stunning.

JazCullen
JazCullen
6,492 Followers