The Bachelorette's Secret Ch. 02

Story Info
The Bachelorette falls for the only man she can't have.
4.6k words
4.5
4.1k
5

Part 2 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 11/28/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Nicki Minaj?" Mikki scoffed. "Bullshit."

"I swear on my kitten's life," Sasha said, applying glittery purple eyeshadow to Mikki's eyelids.

She usually avoided glitter like the plague, but Sasha was an artist, striking just the right balance between carefree and sophisticated.

"You did makeup for a world-famous female rapper and now you're working for a second-rate reality show?" Mikki watched Sasha in the vanity mirror. "What happened? Did you steal one of her wigs?"

Sasha laughed. "Nicki's my girl. Behind all the glamour, she's just a down-to-earth person. She would never fire someone over hair."

"Then why aren't you still working for her?"

"The tour ended. And when I heard the next Bachelorette was gonna be a sista, I signed right up. We're making history here."

"If you say so..." Mikki said. The pressures and demands of this "historical" position were not lost on her. When she'd first been introduced as the Bachelorette, her Twitter account exploded. Along with the congratulations and praise, came racist rants and threats of what was to come if she chose the "wrong" guy. She had considered closing down her account, having no means to block the cyber harassment, but just chose to stop reading the tweets altogether.

"I'm just grateful you're here," Mikki said sincerely. "l'd be bouncing off the walls if it weren't for you. I need a haven away from all the testosterone."

"Oh, I'm more than happy to step in if you ever need a break from all those fine men."

"Slow your roll, it's not that serious."

The two women shared a laugh, lifting Mikki's heavy mood. Her steamy interactions with Steve had her feeling all kinds of guilty, while the erotic dreams only added to her more physical frustrations.

"Who's got you daydreaming?" Sasha asked out of the blue.

"Huh?" Mikki asked, surprised her attention had wavered. Leave it to Steve to scatter her brain.

"Is it Terence? He's a definite frontrunner, in my opinion. Handsome, successful, kind - what more could you ask for?"

Mikki wished she could tell Sasha about Steve. The makeup artist had become a friend and confidante in the short time they'd known each other. But fraternizing with the crew or producers was a breach of contract and she couldn't risk the discovery of her naughty secret.

"Please don't say Ronnie," Sasha continued. "He's fine and all - those legs, that smile - but he's a bonafide player." She applied a light dusting of red blush to Mikki's cheeks.

"Just because he's got game doesn't mean he's a player," Mikki said, happy to think about someone other than Steve. "He's well-educated, confident and has a great sense of humor. And he's ready to settle down."

Sasha shook her head. "I knew it."

"What?" Mikki tried not to move her lips as Sasha painted them with a wine-colored lipstick.

"You've been bedazzled by the swag."

Mikki sniggered, not sure she'd heard her right. "Bedazzled?"

"Yes. Ronnie's got you sprung."

Mikki rolled her eyes. "How can I be sprung? I just met the guy."

"Hence, the power of the swag."

"You're giving way too much credit to him and way too little to me."

"Uh huh..." Sasha said.

And then Mikki thought about Steve. Realizing how many times she'd replayed the details of their last kiss - the softness of his lips, the hardness of his body - she suddenly felt like an idiot. Maybe Steve was the one with the swag.

"What about Steve?" Sasha asked, putting the finishing touches on Mikki's eyeliner.

"Steve?" Mikki squeaked, her eyes wide. The heat rushed to her cheeks.

Sasha crinkled her brow. "What does he think? He's supposed to be like your sounding board, right?"

"R-right," Mikki said, stuttering for the first time in her adult life. She'd had a pronounced stutter in grade school and had worked for years with a speech therapist to suppress it. It only took one mention of Steve to bring it to the surface.

Sasha stood with both hands on her hips. "Spill it."

"What?" Mikki asked, donning her best poker face. "There's nothing to spill."

Sasha smiled knowingly. "I thought lawyers were supposed to be good liars."

Mikki again debated whether she could trust Sasha. Before joining the Bachelorette, she had promised herself that she would let her heart - not her head - lead the way. She decided to follow her instincts.

"You can't tell anyone," Mikki stressed. "I mean it." She held out her pinky. "Pinky swear."

"Swear," Sasha said, locking pinkies with Mikki.

"We kissed," Mikki said finally.

"What?" Sasha bounced up and down. "When?"

"The night before I met the men." Mikki closed her eyes. "And right before the rose ceremony."

"Oh shit!"

"Steve could lose his job over this, so you seriously can't tell anyone."

"I know how to keep a secret, Mikki." Sasha smirked. "Do you know how many women around here have been trying to hit that since Steve got a divorce?"

Guilt reared its ugly head yet again. Along with a little pride.

She'd initially considered whether Steve was a player who just enjoyed seducing the star of the show. Maybe he'd made out with all of the Bachelorettes before her. But even as the thought crossed her mind, her gut instinct revolted against the idea. Cross-examining witnesses on a regular basis had made her a good judge of character. Steve wasn't that type of guy.

"Just make sure Sarah doesn't find out," Sasha said.

"Of course not. A scandal between the host and star of the show would definitely put a wrench in her plans."

"And she's got it bad for Steve."

"You're kidding me."

Sasha shook her head.

Mikki let the gravity of Sasha's words sink in. Sarah controlled the show, which meant she controlled Mikki's image. The last thing she wanted was to get on the producer's bad side. And yet, Mikki was enraptured with Steve. Could she just let him go?

Somehow, the uncertainty and danger of the situation made her want Steve even more.

#

"Right," Steve answered absentmindedly, having completely missed the tail-end of Sarah's response.

Crew members buzzed around like worker bees, hastily setting up equipment and refreshments. They mirrored the chaos in Steve's mind.

"Make sure to get an interview with Noah before the game starts," Sarah said.

"Got it," Steve said. He already had plans to interview all the guys before the game started. He didn't understand why she was singling out Noah.

He and Sarah stood on the edge of a grassy field in a sports park. Mikki had played competitive sports in college and chose a sports challenge for the first group date. The challenge would help her evaluate the guys on their physical fitness and ability to work cooperatively with others.

"What's going on with you?" Sarah asked, her crystal blue eyes full of scrutiny. "You're acting really weird."

"I'm fine," Steve said with more bass than he'd intended. He softened his voice. "I just didn't get much sleep last night."

Fine was a bit of a stretch, but the last bit was true. Sleep had been hard to come by with thoughts of Mikki and their steamy makeout session swirling through his head. Watching her interact with the other men last night - laughing at Noah's bad jokes, whispering in Kevin's ear, touching Ronnie lightly on the arm - had driven him to act.

Like some impulsive alpha male, he'd needed to kiss her, to taste her - to claim her. Steve had never been this drawn to a woman in his life. The magnetic attraction between them made him reckless enough to risk his career for a chance with her.

"Ok," Sarah said, squinting her eyes. "Just make sure to focus on Noah. I have a feeling he'll stir up trouble amongst the guys."

Steve frowned. "The guys are anxious enough as it is. There's no need to add fuel to the fire."

Sarah was notorious for playing mind games with the contestants, which had become a point of contention between the two of them. Last year, she'd set the stage for a fist fight between a boxer and a music producer, one of whom was sent to the hospital for stitches. He wondered whether the competition for Mikki's affection was making him more aggressive than usual.

Sarah pursed her lips. "It really isn't complicated, Steve. I've already gotten the ball rolling, I just need you to do your part to ensure that everything runs smoothly."

Steve found Sarah morally ambiguous at best. She had a knack for exploiting the emotions of the contestants to maximize the drama. Her skill inspired both awe and disgust in Steve. Unbeknownst to anyone but his son, Carl, Steve was a hopeless romantic. He'd even penned a post-apocalyptic romantic comedy under a pseudonym, though he'd lacked the courage to let anyone read the screenplay.

He believed in the premise of the show, that people could find true love in a short amount of time if they were open to it. Sarah wasn't the first producer he'd gone head-to-head with for trying to capitalize on a person's vulnerability for ratings. It was more than possible to capture drama without punching any of the guys below the belt. Taking on a producer role would be his first step in bringing this vision to fruition. But if he had any hopes of becoming a producer, he had to impress the Executive Producer first, which meant playing nice with Sarah for the time being.

A static-filled voice blared from the walkie talkie strapped to Sarah's hip. "The eagle has landed. I repeat, the eagle has landed."

Sarah unclipped the walkie talkie from her belt. "I heard you the first time, Dale."

Steve's heart did a flip at learning Mikki had arrived.

"Don't forget Noah," Sarah said to Steve before walking off.

Steve spotted Mikki across the field. She wore a black Adidas track jacket and black leggings with mesh panels exposing glimpses of brown thigh. Steve swallowed hard as she headed his way, grateful for the extra room in his loose track pants.

Mikki possessed a poise and timeless beauty that made lesser men aspire to greatness. He didn't know what feature of hers he liked the most: her dusky brown eyes, sharp cheekbones, heart-shaped face, or the smile that seemed to hold the secret of life itself.

Mikki stopped to speak with Sarah. Even from a yard away, Steve picked up on the tension between the two women. Sarah stood a little taller as she spoke and Mikki tilted her head to the side.

Steve walked over to meet Mikki as Sarah departed.

"Hey," Steve said, going in for a hug. He had no worries that others might read something into their contact. He'd always been a hugger.

"Hey," Mikki said, her voice lacking enthusiasm.

"You okay?" He hoped she didn't regret their intimate encounter the previous night.

"Yeah. I'm just having trouble figuring Sarah out."

Steve chuckled, relieved that her frustration wasn't aimed at him. "Don't bother. She's a tough nut to crack."

"One minute she's acting like my best friend, offering advice. And the next she's insulting my outfit."

Steve took her in. He wanted to run his hands up her thighs and let his imagination lead the way. "You'll get no complaints from me."

Mikki shook her head, a hint of a smile on her lips. "Get that gleam out of your eyes."

Before Steve could respond, the men arrived for the group date. Eight guys unloaded from the van and headed straight for them. They were all dressed in sportswear and pumped up.

"Mikki!" Noah yelled. He jogged their way, separating himself from the pack. Steve noticed Dale, Sarah's lead cameraman, tracking Noah. He really had no clue what Sarah had up her sleeve, which made him nervous.

Mikki waved and smiled back. "Guess it's time to get this started," she said. She glanced awkwardly at Steve, before turning to greet Noah.

Noah threw his arms around Mikki, effortlessly lifting her off her feet and spinning her around. Mikki giggled like a schoolgirl. Steve frowned.

"Damn girl," Noah said, laying on the Southern twang. He slowly lowered her to the ground, her body flush against his. "You're hotter than the Georgian sun in them pants."

Steve gritted his teeth.

Mikki placed her hands on Noah's chest, expertly putting some distance between the two of them. "Thank you. And keep the compliments coming."

"Noah," Steve said, happy to interrupt them. "Let's have a quick chat before the game."

"Sure," Noah said. "I hope the victor gets a kiss today because I'm definitely winnin'."

"I doubt that," Ronnie said, joining them. "Long time no see, darlin'."

"Ronnie," Mikki said, giving him a hug.

Ronnie had been the most disappointed when Steve announced he'd be joining seven other guys for a group date. He was probably expecting to be chosen for the one-on-one instead. Steve hoped the group date worked to Ronnie's disadvantage.

Steve took Noah aside, followed closely by Dale and his camera.

"You're really confident today," Steve said.

"I know what I'm bringin' to the table and it's a lot more than these other jokers," Noah said, all bravado. "Mikki needs a confident guy. Not some pussy."

Steve couldn't believe this guy was an actual Sheriff's deputy. He had friends in law enforcement and Noah was the kind of person that gave them all a bad name. And he highly doubted Mikki wanted a guy who referred to anyone as a "pussy."

Looks like Sarah's found her first villain, Steve thought, her motives behind the interview request becoming clear.

"And what can you offer Mikki that the others can't?" Steve asked. If Sarah wanted to typecast Noah as the villain, he was more than happy to play along. The chauvinist lacked any redeeming qualities.

Noah smiled smugly. "It's pretty obvious," he said. "Looks, charm, confidence - everything a woman could ever want. Plus, I've got a big dick."

Steve curled his lip in disgust, not caring if Noah noticed. Sarah was going to love this, though they'd have to bleep out the vulgar bit to adhere to the family-friendly rating.

"Good luck to you then," Steve said, certain Noah wouldn't make it past the next rose ceremony.

#

Mikki blew her whistle, lifting her hands to the sky. "Touchdown," she shouted enthusiastically.

Noah spiked the ball and proceeded to do an overtly sexual victory dance, stomping his feet and gyrating his hips to a beat only he could hear.

Mikki laughed, delighting in Noah's display. This was his fifth touchdown of the game, putting his team ahead by fourteen points. The blast of a bullhorn signaled the end of the game.

"Enjoy yourself, Ref?" Steve asked.

They wore matching white-and-black striped shirts, having both served as referees for the flag football match.

"Thoroughly," Mikki responded. "I don't know what was more entertaining, Ronnie scaring Oscar into fumbling or Noah's victory dance."

Steve frowned. "Not really sure I would call that a dance."

Mikki smiled. A jealous Steve was endearing. "I like a guy who's not afraid to make a fool of himself from time to time."

"Noah is definitely that guy," Steve said, a little snarky.

Mikki could understand why Steve and Noah might clash. Both were headstrong alpha males - one of the reasons she was attracted to the both of them.

She looked forward to announcing Noah as the winner of the challenge, which would give them more time to talk in the evening. She wanted to dive below the surface, to see if there was more to him than the macho cop facade. Normally, she wouldn't have given someone like Noah the time of day, but she'd promised herself not to judge the men before getting to know them better.

"You were an awesome referee, Mikki," Maggie said. She was Sarah's top production assistant and seemed way too nice to be working for someone like her. "We got some great footage."

"Thanks in advance for making me look good," Mikki said.

Maggie laughed. "It doesn't take much effort. The camera loves you."

"I second that," Steve said.

"You son of a bitch!" a man yelled off in the distance, drawing their attention.

A graying middle-aged man rushed onto the field, his bright red face contorted in anger.

"What the..." Maggie trailed off.

The man grabbed Noah, bunching his shirt in his fists. "I trusted you!" he spat.

"Hold on," Noah said calmly. He held his hands up in surrender. "What're you doin' here, Bill?"

Mikki spotted Sarah motioning to Dale to focus on the encounter. She moved in their direction, but Steve stopped her with a light touch on her arm.

"You should stay out of this," Steve said.

"If this concerns Noah, I need to know what's going on," Mikki said. The lawyer in her needed all the facts.

"I'm coming with you then.".

"She's my wife and you're my partner!" The man still had Noah by the shirt, his eyes watering.

Noah shoved the man away. "I don't know what Charlene told you, but she's lyin'."

"You need to calm down, sir," Ronnie said, hovering near the two men. Mikki was impressed with his willingness to take control of the situation.

"What is this, Noah?" Mikki asked. She knew how quickly things could get out of hand when men became emotional and wanted to de-escalate the confrontation as calmly as possible.

The man kept his eyes on Noah. "This lying piece of shit slept with my wife."

"That's bullshit, Bill, and you know it," Noah said.

Both men were extremely convincing. Mikki had no clue who to believe.

"Is a paternity test bullshit, Noah?" the man yelled. The shock on Noah's face was palpable. "That's right," Bill continued, his voice raw. "She said my newborn - my son - isn't mine. And she's leaving me to be with the real father of her son - you. She's got the paternity test to prove it."

Noah's reaction to the news was enough to tell Mikki that everything Bill said was true. And everything Noah had said up until then was a lie. "Noah, you need to explain yourself right now." Her voice trembled with anger.

He looked back and forth between her and Bill. She studied his expression, wondering how he would choose to react to the situation. Her knack for catching a liar in a lie was both a gift and a curse. In certain situations, she wished she could just take what a person said as truth. This wasn't one of those situations. If Noah lied his way through difficult situations, that was definitely something she needed to know.

"Alright," Noah said. "I slept with her. But the kid isn't mine-"

Bill's fist connected with Noah's jaw and Mikki screamed. Steve jumped in, grabbing Noah before he had the chance to strike back. Ronnie held back Bill.

"Enough," Steve said.

Noah struggled to free himself of Steve's hold, yelling at Bill. "You can have that bitch! And tell her she's not getting a cent from me."

Mikki landed a sharp slap across Noah's face, stunning him. She knew how bad this would look on camera, but she didn't care. "Pack your bags and get the fuck out of here. We're done," she said, her hand still stinging from the slap.

"Mikki-" Noah said.

"You have ten seconds to grab your things and load into the van, or you can expect a worse beating than that," Ronnie said ominously.

Steve released his hold on Noah, who scanned the group of men surrounding him. Mikki was sure he picked up on the same tension she did because he grabbed his gym bag and hopped into the van without another word.

"Good riddance," Mikki said as the van pulled away.

"Are you okay?" Steve asked, immediately at her side.

"Yeah." Mikki felt the world closing in on her. "Did you know about this?" After this clearly orchestrated disaster, she wasn't sure who she could trust.

Steve frowned. "Of course not."

"Ok," she said. But her walls were up and she wasn't sure which side to put Steve on at this point.

"You sure you're okay?" Steve asked, as though he'd read her doubts.

"I just need a minute." She headed for the locker rooms, in need of a good cry.

"What a dickhead," Sarah said, as Mikki passed her. "You handled that beautifully."

Mikki could handle apathetic Sarah, even passive aggressive Sarah, but this latest version of her was difficult to swallow. She leaned in, keeping her voice low. "I'm only going to say this once. If you pull something like that again, I walk."

12