The Beating Of Drums Ch. 01

Story Info
A woman wakes up on a deserted island.
859 words
3
7.8k
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I can feel myself sprawled out, hair covering my face. I rack my brain. What happened last night? How did I get here? I shouldn't be here, I should be... Where should I be? I couldn't remember anything. I slowly become aware of my surrounding. I am dripping wet, but not cold. A gentle breeze lifts my tangled hair from my clenched eyes; Eyes I am too scared to open.

I roll onto my back, and dig my hands into the ground. They come away filled with sand. I hear it trickle back to the ground. I listen intently, hearing the swish of water that seemed so close.

I am thirsty. I can't remember the last time I had a drink. My throat is dry, each time I swallow my throat burned in agony. My lips are cracked and sting as salt brushes against the cuts. As I lick them, I get a moment of relief before the sun dries them once more. I lick them again and taste salt. I can feel gritty sand coating my tongue. I slowly sit up and open my still-clenched eyes.

I blink. I cannot believe this was where I landed. Of all the places I could have turned up, I have washed up on the most perfect, movie island. The sand is like sugar, the sea and sky blurring into one streak. Like an oil painting.

A single seagull caws, bobbing on the crystal sea. Behind me, a vibrant green jungle dotted with pinks and yellows. I must have washed up in Paradise.

I stand up, my legs buckle, and I strain to stay upright. The pain is almost unbearable as I run shakily into the sea, enjoying the feel of water cooling my legs and swirling around me.

I look down at myself, and realise for the first time how ragged my clothes are

And how alone I am...

I staggered backwards and sat back on the sandy bank, my head spinning. Slowly, i began to remember what happened that night:

My mum, younger sister Rebecca, and me boarded the ship in Dover. It was a cruise that went pretty much around the world – a present for my 18th birthday. Rebecca was 14 and had been so excited for the cruise.

As i think of Rebecca and my mum, tears fill my eyes. I close them, and think back.

We had been on the ship for about three weeks, and were in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, but it felt more like the middle of nowhere. All i could see for miles around was blue sea and blue sky merging into each other. During those three weeks i had done almost everything the ship had to offer; tennis, swimming, rock-climbing, crazy golf, you name it.

It was about 7o'clock at night and i was sat on the top deck, admiring my tan, and watching the seagulls fly above me.

"Sarah! Are you coming for dinner or not?" my mum yelled to me from the other side of the deck.

"Not!" I shouted back. After three weeks of restaurant food every day, i was fed up.

I stood up and stretched my legs. Walking to the side of the ship i noticed dark grey clouds gathering on the horizon. I wondered how long it would actually take for them to fill the sky, by the looks of things it wouldn't take long.

Within 15minutes heavy drops of water were hitting my face and body, so i quickly gathered all of my things and headed for my cabin style room.

Since the crusie was my birthday treat, my mum had booked me a 1st class cabin, while she and Rebecca stayed in a standard one. My room overlooked the side of the boat straight into the sea.

I stood by my window and stared into the sea. 20 minutes ago it had been a calm and deep blue, but now it was grey and swirling with huge waves.

Suddenly my room was filled with an automated message "Do not worry. Stay calm. Please can all passengers report to their cabins for a member of the cabin crew to issue them with a lifebelt and whistle."

Almost immediately after the alert there was a knock on my door and a very scared looking officer walked in, silently handed me a plastic bag and walked out.

Then I fell sideways.

The boat was rocking from side to side and a loud crack of thunder echoed around my room, covering the first half of another message. "...go to the nearest lifeboats."

As i ran to the lifeboats on the deck the boat swayed to the side. The last thing i remembered was hitting my head on the floor, and falling into the sea.

Standing up from the sandy slope, I wipe tears from my eyes. I have to find someone, or I'll die. I have no food, no water, no shelter.

I walk along the edge of the sea, my toes tickle each time the water splashes them.

I can hear something new now, in the distance...

The beating of drums.

TO BE CONTINUED...