The Beginning Ch. 13-14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Giving Mr. Ray a nod, he returned to his car and drove in. Flipping the bird in his direction, I got into the car in a huff.

"What a dick!" I exclaimed, as Mr. Ray got in.

"He's definitely an acquired taste," Mr. Ray said, laughing softly. "Though, as I remember it, your father didn't quite like him, either. Who knows, he might grow on you, though."

"As if." I replied, already having made up my mind that if dad hadn't liked him, then it stood to reason that I wouldn't, either.

"Regardless," Mr. Ray continued, as we pulled away, "he really does need to debrief you and get your version of the attack on record. Some of that was supposed to happen tonight, actually, over dinner, but something must have come up, which resulted in him missing it."

"Why?" I asked, "Am I in some sort of trouble?"

"No, no," Mr. Ray said, reassuringly, "of course not! It's just that our justice system values strict documentation of any altercation. The rest of us have already given Byrav our accounts of what happened that night, and getting yours will help complete the record."

"What does Byrav even do?"

"That's really a question you should ask him yourself." Mr. Ray replied, in a tone that clearly booked no argument. Grumbling under my breath, I sullenly settled in for the ride.

Through some stroke of luck, there wasn't much traffic on our way back to the apartment building, and we managed to get there and park without me feeling the need to brace for impact. We rode the elevator up to the twenty-third floor in companionable silence, walking down the hallway to stand in front of "3X" again.

Mr. Ray fished his keys out and slotted them into the keyhole, but didn't turn the lock. Instead, he dragged it upwards, then left, then down and right, tracing the outline of the door. The keyhole left a glowing white line in its wake, and when he finally finished the circuit, the wood started rippling.

"Remember," he said, standing back, "hold on to your magic, and don't let go till you're on the other side."

I nodded and did as he asked, before walking through the portal. I felt that warm tingle as I passed through, along with another strong bout of déjà vu.

"Some part of me must have been conscious when they brought me through the first time," I thought out loud, as I walked out into the forest.

"Did you say something?" Mr. Ray asked, as he walked up behind me, the light behind us disappearing as the manway solidified again. I just shook my head, and he shrugged, before turning around to lead me back to the abodes.

"Chris," he started, after we'd been walking for a while, "I hope you understand that I have a duty to inform Rishiji about your Gift."

"Of course!" I agreed, "He may be able to figure out why I'm the only Indian Wielder to have it."

"Exactly," Mr. Ray said, "and he may also be able to guide you in its use, somehow."

I nodded my consent, and he said that he'd take it up with Rishiji, first thing in the morning. My legs were aching from all the walking by the time we finally made it back to the barrier around the abodes.

"Okay," Mr. Ray said, "using the pathway from this barrier to your abode is a little different. While you walk through, hold on to your Power like before, but this time, also think about where you'd like to go. For now, that's your abode, so think about that. Got it?"

"Are you sure I don't have to tap my heels together three times, and think, 'There's no place like home'?" I asked, with a sly smile.

"You could if you'd like," he said, with a laugh, "but it won't do you any good."

"Okay, then," I replied, tapping into my Power and thinking about my abode "let's give it a shot!"

I walked through the barrier, and instead of feeling the cold, I felt a warm tingle this time. Taking that to mean I'd been successful, I opened my eyes, letting out a whoop of joy as I found myself standing in front of the gate to my abode.

"Well done!" Mr. Ray congratulated me, as he appeared next to me. "While leaving, just do the exact same thing— thinking about the barrier instead, of course— while walking past your gate, and you're sorted! Now, give me one second to channel some energy into the batteries set within your abode, and then I'll be out of your hair."

We walked into the little garden and I opened my front door, though Mr. Ray declined my invitation to come inside. I thanked him after he was done, waving as he walked through my gate and disappeared, before shutting the door.

Leaving my slippers by the door, I shucked off my clothes— except for the three cuffs, two of which I didn't yet know how to remove, and one of which I couldn't— and took a quick shower, and then headed straight to bed. As promised, the light-stones turned themselves off about an hour after I was home, and I sighed as my body relaxed after a very long day.

Before I even knew it, I fell into a blissful, dreamless sleep.

*****

"Very well done, my Hero." a familiar voice whispered in the darkness, "You have taken the first steps on your journey. Your path is the path of salvation, of peace, and of reunification. Walk it true, and we may yet save that which we love.

"Rest, my Hero. Rest, and arise anew. Grow in strength and wisdom. Grow fast, for the hour of your reveal draws ever closer.

"I am afraid this is the last I shall see of you for a while, for even I must play my part in the battle to come. However, know that you are cherished, that you are loved, and that you will be watched over. Always.

"Such is my vow to you, my Hero. My—"