The Benandanti

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Violet again gathered her legs under her and leaped for the creature, aiming for the throat. Instead of using her jaws, she wrapped her arm around the neck and maneuvered her self behind the thing. She tensed her arm around the neck and used the rest of her body as a dead weight hanging behind it.

The Nuckelavee gagged and choked as the arm cut of its oxygen supply. Stepping over Ballard, it moved toward the females protecting the mage. In the dark maelstrom of its mind, the Nuckelavee was aware of what the mage wolf was calling and what that meant for it. The female clinging to its back could be dealt with after the summoning was squelched. For if the summoning was successful, then it didn't matter what the bitch wolf did. Nothing at all would mater any longer for the Nuckelavee.

With a barely audible grunt, its air supply already diminished, the Nuckelavee pressed forward. When it was within striking range, Socorro plunged into battle. Dodging in under the creature's reach, she observed it wasn't only man-like; it was male. She clamped her jaws between the creature's legs.

The body-rocking shudder and screams that followed almost dislodged Violet. She maintained her grip, but it was loosened. She scrabbled for purchase on the back to reposition and tighten her grip. The Nuckelavee grabbed Socorro, then paused. It was not stupid, it had noticed every time it removed one of the wolves, it paid for the relief with removed flesh. The Nuckelavee wasn't the least bit certain it was an even exchange this time.

Philadelphia took advantage of the moment's uncertainty to bite the wrist of the hand holding Socorro. The Nuckelavee screeched out against yet another assault. The ground and trees reverberated with the strength of the yell. The Nuckelavee swung the arm wide, attempting to strike Philadelphia into a tree. She released her hold, and, upon landing, skidded backwards through the fallen leaves. Once she got traction, she bolted forward to return to her position between the Nuckelavee and Tobias.

She arrived just as the Nuckelavee was making a grab for Tobias. But Tobias had finished his summoning. A shaft of energy shot up from the ground in front of Tobias. The Nuckelavee took a step backwards, fear and rage playing across the ruins of its skinless face. The shaft took on the semblance of brightly lit water and rose to height a bit taller than the Nuckelavee. The smell of spring and sea water intensified. Then the pillar of water and light resolved into a matronly but still beautiful woman. The Sea Mither.

She wore a long dress, in shades of blue and green. They wound around her in layers and a veil covered her hair. She smiled at the wolves, a look of all sweet accord, then glared at the Nuckelavee with a scowl made from the fiercest sea storm. It continued to back away, in spite of Socorro's and Violet's efforts. The Sea Mither closed the distance with but a step and seized the Nuckelavee by its rolling head. Violet released her grip and fell to the ground, as did Socorro.

The Nuckelavee screamed out in pain as water from the Sea Mither's hand washed over it. The echoing cries again shook the trees and ground. The Nuckelavee began to melt. As the water ran down the Nuckelavee's body, the muscles and veins, then the organs and at last the bones dissolved. This too melted away, like dew in the sunlight, until there was nothing left of the monster.

The Sea Mither regarded the wolves. Tobias was exhausted, but unhurt. Socorro and Philadelphia were likewise uninjured. Violet had some blows from the fight, but was relatively unharmed. The Sea Mither then turned to Ballard and Marcus.

She crouched low to the ground and gently stroked Ballard. In less then a minute, he stirred, and raised himself upright. He gazed for a moment at the Sea Mither. His face took on an aspect of utter peace and he smiled up at her. She returned his smile and shifted to Marcus.

He lay where he fell, up against the tree. She tenderly took him into her arms and stroked his fur. Soon, he stirred and she set him back on the ground. He shook his head and gathered his wits.

"What happened?" he started to say, but stopped when he saw the Sea Mither, captivated by her beauty.

She rose to her full height and smiled down at the gathered pack as they drew together. No words were spoken, but in the communion the wolves came to understand the Sea Mither, mother of the sea, was sister to their own mother, the moon. She was proud of the bravery of her nieces and nephews, and heartsick at the pain that had come onto them from the Nuckelavee. If ever they had any need of her in the future, they were to call. She left, fading away amidst the bright smell of spring air and the sea.

The wolves stood shell-shocked for a moment before Violet tipped back her head and howled their victory to the sky, the moon, the woods, and any others who would hear it. The rest of her pack joined in and the woodlands rang with their celebration.

When the cries had stopped, Ballard looked to Violet with a knowing smile. "Well, the hunt is over. Have you chosen your new mate?"

Violet recognized the look and guessed at its meaning. She headed over to Marcus and shifted back as she wrapped her arm around him.

"I suppose I have."

Marcus looked around at the pack, dumbfounded. Ballard laughed at his expense, then gathered the rest of the pack around Violet and her new mate. As they again howled with joy, this time for the new mating, Marcus began to suspect what was meant. Hoped he did, at any rate. He looked at Violet with some confusion and she smiled up at him and nodded her head. This was all the confirmation he needed. The wolf form fell away from him and he gathered Violet in a deep embrace and kissed her passionately as his pack howled on.