The Bonding Chronicles Ch. 21

Story Info
Some doors are meant to stay closed.
39.8k words
4.83
21.5k
119

Part 21 of the 21 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 09/07/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

***** The Search *****

All of Thunderfoot's life had been a battle for survival, his instincts driving him from one place to another. He had always had emotions, love for this mate, and now a longing to be with his newly born kits, but something new had formed. It had been a slow growth, a deepening of his understanding of the things around him, until just after the wolf had vanished when his consciousness seemed to come into existence.

He was no longer living by instinct, and instead found himself considering his existence. He wondered of his place in things, and whether he would ever find his way home. Tani'm had noticed it as well, their conversations becoming much more meaningful as he began to grasp the concepts the noises she made represented. He could not speak, not in a traditional sense, but within Tani'm's mind he could make himself known. His voice a ghostly whisper that tickled her consciousness, and gave context to his desires.

In a way, Thunderfoot was a different creature from what he had been when he arrived, and thanks to his new gifts, he knew it.

"This way," his childlike voice repeated within Tani'm's mind.

"Dammit, Thunderfoot, we've already search that area of the forest!"

He stopped and stood tall on his hind legs, the trees of the forest reaching up towards the sky all around them. The flight from the wolf had been confused by the storm that greeted them the moment they came into that strange land, but as he peered around he saw one of the only points of reference he could remember from that night. It was not much, a fallen tree that rested across a tall boulder, a stream burbling a lazy path beneath the arch created by the once majestic spruce that rested against its earthen brace.

No matter how hard he tried, he could never remember the path he had taken to get there, or how long he had ran, but he knew it had not been more than five minutes. Normally that would not be a big deal, but for a jackalope, that's a pretty big area.

"I know you recognize that, but we've already covered this area a few times. It must be somewhere else."

The two and a half foot tall rabbit turned his large black eyes on Tani'm, his whiskers twitching with frustration as he projected his annoyance at her.

"No, it here. It here. Must be here."

While they argued, Thunderfoot could feel the plight of his family back in his homeland. His doe was strong, but her strength was failing as she struggled to find enough food for herself and their kittens. Six lives bound to him heart and soul, the pain of their diminishing bodies felt by Thunderfoot through the unknown distance that separated them.

Again he looked at Tani'm, pleading in his eyes.

"I know, I feel them too, through you, but we've been searching this area for three days and have found nothing."

They studied each other for a few moments, the large buck thinking through the courses they had taken through the forest and struggling to think of what they could have missed. His frustration was only overshadowed by his longing to return to his family, their hearts beating in rhythm with his own, a siren call to bring their father and mate back to them.

Pounding his hind foot on the ground he dislodged a few moist, moss-covered stones as he yelled at Tani'm.

"Must be here!"

"Fine, my friend. But try to remember how hard this is for me. I want you to return home, but I'm basically trying to send my best friend somewhere that I may never see them again. With everything I've been dealing with, this is the last thing I want, but I..." She wiped a tear from her cheek and took a deep breath before she continued, Thunderfoot closing the distance between them and resting his head against her chest. "I want what's best for you, and I know that's not here, no matter how much I wish it were different."

Reaching between his antlers, she caressed the side of his face, a soft and contented chortle filling the air as he whispered, "I'll miss you, too."

They remained like that for several minutes, Tani'm trying to hold onto every moment she had with her furry friend, knowing that he would be leaving the instant they found his path back home.

Pulling back, the rabbit said, "Me sorry, but me keep looking."

With one last caress from her finger, she replied, "I'll help."

The very next moment they took off, each of them trying to find the impossible, a path leading to a world of monstrous beasts and untamed lands.

***** A Hopeful Step *****

It had only been two days since they had revealed themselves to Andrew's parents, and still Karen was nervous. Things were moving so fast, and she had always preferred to take things at a measured pace. Sure, it was Friday and her weekend lay before her, but still she knew that there was much to do.

Karen was looking at her house from the inside of her cooling car, rays from the setting sun casting everything in an orange hue. It wasn't that she thought Andrew's trust was misplaced, or that his parents would betray them, just that she knew it was the first step in a longer, more unexpected journey. No matter what Andrew and Sara thought, experience had taught her that magic never takes you in the direction you had planned for, and she feared the course it had laid for them.

Stepping out from the car, she breathed in the fragrant air, the scent of the forest reminding her of why she had chosen to wait out her next couple of decades in that isolated area.

"Hey, Karen."

Her heart jumped at the unexpected sound of Tani'm's voice. Turning her gaze, she saw the small woman standing at the edge of the forest, her earth and forest toned clothes a casual arrangement of torn jeans and loose tshirt, bare feet completing an ensemble that only she could pull off.

"Good evening, Tani'm."

For a moment the two women studied one another, each trying to gauge the other's reaction. In both pairs of eyes they saw relief and excitement, as if they were two friends, reunited after a decade's feud. Karen could sense the slight struggle within the small woman, knowing that her heart was braced against an expected pain. Opening her arms, Karen welcomed her in.

"Don't just stand there, silly girl. I've got but a few moments for us to catch up. Andrew's planning something for me tonight, and his parents are back for the weekend. So please, come in, come in."

A grin spread across Tani'm's face, her reserved expression vanishing behind the light of that smile. Karen could feel the young druid's boundaries shedding away much more easily than the last time she had seen her, the once tall and impervious walls crumbling thanks to the steps that Tani'm had made in recent days.

"So, his parents know about you? And they're okay with it?"

Karen returned her smile and put her arm around her friend, ushering her towards the house as she replied, "Well, I can't say they're particularly pleased, but his father seemed to accept everything when we told him."

They had just arrived at the door to the small building, Karen's keys clattering as they exited her purse while Tani'm spoke. "Wait, you guys told them everything? Like, about your powers? The wolf? Everything?"

Dropping her attache case beside the door as she stepped through, Karen smiled, sensing Tani'm's anxiety and knowing at least part of what the small woman was worried about.

"Yes, my dear girl, we explained everything. Everything except Thunderfoot, who remains a mystery to them. He said that the tribe elder had already told them of your existence, and he knew of you by name, but why Eddie would reveal that to them, I've no idea."

Just as Karen had anticipated, Tani'm stood at the threshold of her door, her eyes casting around as she tried to figure out how she felt about what she had just learned.

"That son-of-a... I'll deal with Eddie later, but what about you? Are you sure you'll be okay? I'll track them down and... Well, it won't go well for them if they do anything to you."

A warmth filled Karen's heart knowing how much Tani'm cared about her, their friendship a true and priceless thing to her.

"Thanks, but I'll be fine. No need to hunt anyone down anytime soon."

Tani'm wiped off as much dirt from her feet as she could manage before she stepped in. It was only the second time she had been in Karen's house, and the older woman could tell that she was studying things with much more purpose, sensing that Tani'm was happy with much of what she saw.

"Make yourself at home," Karen stated, pointing towards the living room which was clean, but still had magazines and newspapers scattered about. "I'm gonna go freshen up, and I'll be right back."

Karen made a quick dash to her room, where she changed into a light pair of pants and a loose breathable blouse, her panties staying on but her bra finding a new home within her hamper. She rinsed off her makeup and put on a dash of scented oil, nothing major, just a little something to make herself feel cleansed of her day. She knew it would take more work to get ready for Andrew's surprise, but wanted to save that until it was time to leave.

Looking in the mirror, Karen still struggled to recognize the woman who peered back. It had been over a century and a half since she had looked that young, and as she lifted her chin and admired her renewed youth, she marveled at how strange life was. How unexpected things were, and how amazing Andrew's gifts were. He had only been sharing his gift with her for almost two weeks, and already her own talents were far superior to what they had been.

She shook her head and couldn't help but notice how her curly brown hair swayed in thick rivulets down the sides of her face, springy and vibrant as if she'd just been to a stylist, even though she hadn't.

Her momentary distraction over, she strode out of her master bath, through her room and down the hall, calling into the living room, "Would you like some water? Or, would you prefer something with a bit more kick?"

Tani'm was sitting on the couch, her eyes gazing around the room as she studied various things. Karen could sense her anxious excitement, and from the look of the young woman she assumed that Tani'm wanted to study things more closely, but was trying to be a respectful guest.

"Water's fine. Thanks."

Karen chuckled to herself as she continued into the kitchen, stating, "My pleasure... Please, feel free to snoop around, I don't mind."

The moment the words left her lips, Karen could hear Tani'm getting up off of the couch and walking towards the fireplace, the bookshelves on either side overflowing with pictures and knickknacks, a wealth of information about Karen's life.

It didn't take long for Karen to grab two glasses, a bottle of water, and to prepare a small assortment of cheeses and dried meats. By the time she returned to the room, Karen could tell that Tani'm had already looked at most of the pictures, the young woman's eyes wide with the recognition that Karen was indeed as old as she had claimed.

"I believed you, but wow, Karen... You were actually in Europe during World War Two?"

Karen poured the two glasses of water and placed Tani'm's on the coffee table before the couch, exactly where the small woman had been seated a minute before. Taking a small piece of cheese she replied, "Amongst other events, yes."

With that, she popped the cheese in her mouth, picked up a slice of dried sausage and began to peel the white rind off the outside while she studied her guest.

"You've mentioned how difficult it's been to lose people, guess I never stopped and thought about why."

"My nature compels me help those that are caught in the wake of all those great affairs, but my terrible costs have always been paid at the wakes of my dearest and most beloved friends and family."

Tani'm stood there beside the vast yawning maw of the cold and darkened fireplace, the heart of Karen's house a sad reflection of the sentiment of her words. It seemed that the young woman could not find the right statement to comfort her friend, but in her heart Karen could feel Tani'm's desires to embrace her, to try and lift her out of the quagmire of suffering she had experienced in the past. But, just as those feelings were there, so were the remnants of the small druid's past, holding her back and revealing to her the pain that could be visited upon her if she would open herself up.

"I'm fine, Tani'm, I promise. I can feel your struggle, and appreciate the difficulty you're facing in your desire to ease the sorrows of my past — your willingness to confront your own issues in order to try and provide me comfort means as much as the words and acts you might one day make. I cannot know the pains you carry with you, or the trauma that you've begun to face, but I can see that you've already taken great steps out of that terrible darkness."

The edges of Tani'm's eyes glistened as she looked down, crossing the room and finding her seat at the couch where the glass of water was waiting for her. The drink was a welcome distraction from the intensity of her emotions, and as Tani'm drank, Karen sat back and nursed her water, wondering just how her friend had managed to make such tremendous progress in such a short period of time.

"So, while we have this brief moment, I can't wait to hear how things are in your life, and your home. I cannot claim your connection to the forest, but from what I've seen, it seems calm and contented now that the wolf's gone."

Tani'm set down the empty cup, her eyes finding a tentative spot on the wall to draw her attention. For most people it would have been an awkward moment, but Karen recognized it for what it was, and allowed her friend the time she needed to find that thing that most people took for granted, trust.

"You're so right, everything's settled back to its natural rhythm, the voice of the forest returning to its somber and comforting thrum. I need to get out and make sure the herds are okay, and that the rest of the animals have returned to their routines, but it's been difficult with Thunderfoot dragging me out to find his way home all the time."

Karen sat forward, grabbing the last few pieces of charcuterie that she wanted to eat before heading out while keeping her eyes on Tani'm, whose gaze danced between Karen and various objects within the room.

"We've been discussing that lately, and wanted to help, but also knew you needed some time and space. If you're open to the idea, Sara could help with the search, and Andrew — as always — has some ideas that might help narrow things down.

"It might have been a team effort that brought peace to this place we all love, but without you two, my family would have become much less fun and joyful. We can never repay you and Thunderfoot for risking your lives like you did, and while we feel like we've made some small gesture towards you, we feel remiss in how little we've done for Thunderfoot. Please allow us to help him."

Tani'm's eyes were brimming with tears, locked on Karen for the first time since they had seen each other outside of her house. Karen didn't need her gifts to see the battle within Tani'm, her young and damaged heart being touched by pure kindness, and her psyche struggling to accept it. Within her, Karen could feel miles of distrust falling away as the small woman saw just how kind and open Karen and her family were being.

There had always been an intimacy between Karen and Tani'm, something that Karen regretted to that day. Not because Karen didn't find Tani'm desirable or compelling, quite the contrary, she still harbored hopes that the beautiful young druid would overcome her burdens and find a place within her family. Her turmoil came at the past difficulties which Karen's actions forced to the surface. Pains that Tani'm seemed to be facing with heroic determination.

"At this point, I'd welcome any new ideas. He's gotten so much smarter since we fought that damn wolf, but he's also so freakin' stubborn. We keep searching the same area of the forest because he's certain the path starts there, and yet we never find anything..." An exasperated huff left her lips as Tani'm threw up her arms, her straight black hair flaring out to her sides adding drama to her movements. "Who knew rabbits were so single minded and persistent."

Karen joined Tani'm in her laughter as the two women realized the absurdity of Tani'm's situation. Never in either of their dreams would they have expected to have had that conversation about a rabbit.

"All I ever knew was that rabbit was really good with mustard, just don't tell Thunderfoot I said that."

Tani'm bit her lower lip, smiling as she tried not to laugh. "Is it terrible that I've been feeding him mustard greens? I try not to, but he loves them so much."

They broke out in uncontrolled laughter, and through it, Karen could feel the last of Tani'm's apprehension fading away.

"Your secret is safe with me."

While they allowed that joy to linger, their laughter tapering off as they continued to study each other, Tani'm noticed the curious look that Karen was giving her.

"What?" she asked through a broad grin, her apprehension lost behind the joy of that moment.

"I just can't believe how well you're doing... I'm ecstatic at the progress you've made, and elated at how much light you are finding in your life already. This is what I want for you, and it makes me so happy that I can be a part of that."

Again Tani'm turned her eyes towards the floor, the reddish hue of her cheeks darkening as she gained a bashful smile.

"Our friendship definitely started in an unconventional way, but I think that you are a large part of the progress I've made. Kathy keeps bringing our conversations back to you, and the more I tell her about those conversations from The Glade, the more I have come to realize just how much you mean to me.

"It's so silly, but the way you listened to me talk about the forest, and my friends within it... I think that was the first time someone wanted to know about me and my life. The first time someone genuinely wanted to know me, and tried to see the world through my eyes..."

Tani'm raised her gaze towards her friend, hope written into the contours of her smile as she continued, "Kathy is infuriating with how she talks to me, guiding the conversation in ways I can see, but for reasons I can never seem to understand. We've only met a couple of times now, but through those conversations I've begun to see some things."

Within Tani'm's heart Karen could feel a sorrow building, and to the older woman's surprise, her young friend seemed to embrace that emotion and carry it forward. Apprehension clouded her voice as Tani'm concluded, "It's going to take some time before I can fully trust you or your family, but that's my failing, and not yours. Please tell Andrew that I'm sorry for how I've treated him."

Karen's heart was near bursting with her desire to cross the short distance to her friend, and scoop the small woman into her arms. It was a miracle that Tani'm had already accepted some part of her role in things, and took ownership of that. Even as Tani'm spoke, Karen could feel the mountain of fear and anxiety that still filled the young druid's heart, lingering in the back of the small girl's mind like an ever present bully.

Standing, Karen stated, "I'll be back in a second," before she vanished back towards her bedroom.

A moment later, she was back, holding a small cloth bag. Opening it, she said, "Sara explained what you've been doing at Andrew's in the middle of the night. She's been having fun stalking you while you work, but I'm guessing you already know that."

Tani'm's confusion at Karen's unexpected departure from the room was replaced with a knowing smile as she nodded, admitting her knowledge of Sara's playful games.

"Anyways, I've been holding onto this ever since you extracted all of that tannin for us." She pulled out the small crystal vial which had once housed Astral Ink, and within it was a clear green liquid that seemed to give off a subtle glow. "It never felt like the right time to give this to Andrew, even though I know that was what you wanted. In truth, I think it's because this belongs with you."